Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Sunnahs. 4 rakats or 2?

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 5th May 2019 09:15
Assalam alaikum... i have a question in regards to the sunnate mauqida. I came to know yesterday that any 4 sunnahs should be prayed 2-2 each and not 4 rakats in one go. A lady i met yesterday said that its mentioned in the authentic ahadeeth about the sunnah prayers to be performed 2 at a time. How true is it???
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 5th May 2019 10:21
Please post questions such as the ones posed in this topic to the Ulamaa. Or click here for a vast library on islamqa.org. Alternatively, you can get support locating available answers online in the Q&A Support section of this form here
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2019 15:49
umm-e-abdullah wrote:
View original post

I'm not sure about 2 at a time, but see this thread for details www.muftisays.com/forums/12-virtues/5039-the-importance-a...

Seifeddine wrote:
The Virtues Of The Sunnah Of Zuhr Salah

Umm Habibah (radiallahu anha) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu alayhi wa salam) said, "Whoever observes the practice of performing four Rak`ah before Zuhr prayer and four (2 sunnah, 2 nafl) after the Zuhr prayer, Allah will shield him against the Fire (of Hell)."
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

This Ahadith mean that a person who follows this course of practice, will die as a Muslim and will not remain in Hell for ever like the Kuffar (infidels) unless Allah has forgiven all his sins for him and would, as a result, save him from Fire altogether. That is, Almighty Allah will not let him live in Hell for ever. According to some Ahadith, the fire of Hell will not touch him, which also amounts to saying that he will not be kept in Hell for all eternity. If a Muslim is liable to punishment, his stay in Hell - for a few days or weeks or months depending on the nature of his sins - is not a contravention of such Ahadith because he will ultimately be released from Hell and brought to Jannah. "Allah will shield him against the Fire'' should not be taken to mean that a Muslim will not be sent to Hell no matter what he does. If Almighty Allah does not forgive him in the very first instance, he will have to suffer the torment of Hell as long as He would like and then he will be sent to Jannah.

`Abdullah bin As-Sa'ib (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu alayhi wa salam) used to perform four Rak`ah prayer after the declining of the sun before Zuhr prayer and would say, "This is an hour at which the gates of heaven are opened, and I like that my good deeds should rise to heaven at that time.''
[At-Tirmidhi]

The Prophet (salallahu alayhi wasalam) used to perform the four Rak`ah Sunnah of Zuhr prayer when the sun started declining. In fact, except for `Isha' prayer, he would perform every Salat at its early hours.

The phrase "the gates of heaven are opened'' means that the good deeds that people do are lifted to the heavens at that time.

`Aishah (radiallahu anha) reported: If the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam) could not perform four Rak`ah before Zuhr prayer, he would perform them after it (i.e., after the obligatory prayer).
[At-Tirmidhi]

This Hadith tells us about the preparation which the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam) used to make for performing the Sunnah. Every Muslim should, therefore, make full preparation for performing Sunnah. If one is unable to perform it before the Fard prayer, then one must do it afterwards.

The Virtues Of The Sunnah Of Asr Salah

Ibn `Umar (radiallahu anhuma) reported: The Prophet (salallahu alayhi wasalam) said, "May Allah have mercy on a man who performs four Rak`ah before the `Asr prayer.''
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi]

The `Ulama' have stated that these four Sunnah of `Asr prayer are Ghair Mu'akkadah (non-emphasised but praiseworthy to perform). Its importance is however evident from the fact that the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam) prayed for mercy on those who performed these Sunnah.

See also:

www.muftisays.com/forums/86-qa-support--fiqh/9707-regardi...
Arslan. wrote:
.... For those that are non-emphasized sunnas, one follows the tashahhud in the first sitting with sending blessings upon the Prophet (s.a.w.) before standing for the third rak`a, which one then begins with the opening supplication (thana`) and seeking refuge (ta`awwudh) before the basmala and Fatiha.

Source: Maraqi 'l-Sa`aadat, Page 98, footnote #339

And also:
www.muftisays.com/forums/14-peoples-say/10774-4-rakah-sun...
The 4 Raka' before Esha?

Hope that helps

+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 10th May 2019 12:46
Perhaps she is basing her view on the following:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar رضي الله عنهما: Allah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said,

صلاة الليل مثنى مثنى، فإذا خشي أحدكم الصبح صلى ركعة واحدة توتر له ما قد صلى

"The night prayers are mathna mathna (two Rak'at, two Rak'at - in pairs), and if one fears that the dawn prayer is due, he should then offer one Rak'ah which will make what he has prayed an odd number." [Agreed upon]

The Khamsa reported it - graded Sahih (authentic) by Ibn Hibban - with the wording:

صلاة الليل والنهار مثنى مثنى

"the day and night prayers are mathna mathna (two Rak'at, two Rak'at - in pairs)." An-Nasa'i said, "This is a mistake."

According to Imam an-Nasa'i رحمه الله, the words (the night prayer is mathna mathna [two Rak'at, two Rak'at - in pairs]) are correct, but the words (the day and night prayers are mathna mathna [two Rak'at, two Rak'at - in pairs]) are incorrect, i.e. the addition of the word (the day) is considered to be an excess and thus erroneous. However, Imam al-Baihaqi رحمه الله and other scholars, consider it correct.

So according to some of the scholars, it is preferable to offer the sunnah and nafl prayers two by two. (See Bulugh al-Maram, Darussalam English edition, pp. 127-128)
+2 -0Winner x 2