You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed
Rank Image
London
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 21st March 2019 15:37
Whatsapp has many flaws and I've gone through them on this forum before, but it's not limited to whatsapp.

Put dopamine to the side for now, although it is related. Ask yourself why you need it.

I used it and got messages from family, friends, clients and so on. So many time there were repeates.

I used to get asked Islamic questions even though I'm not qualified to answer. Sometimes these questions would come from sisters and you can see where this could end up!

I then deleted Whatsapp and got onto kik so that I can stay in touch with only those whom I needed to to stay in touch with. Eventualy got rid of that too.

I opened a twitter account so I could GET tweets from only those whom I followed and no one else - I selected only Ulama I knew and a couple of individuals. I don't tweet at all (only retweeted twice ever since I opened the account) I don't have much to say and I don't want to be dragged into likes, followers, and dopamine

I got back on whatsapp to help Ulama only and Alhumdulillah, that moved over to telegram.

So now I'm on telegram where there are very few people at the moment (in terms of my contacts) ((I've joined it with a different mobile number, so even those who know me, can't find me unless I tell them)) User mane is very simple :)

I only use this to help the Ulama and joined a few groups to learn more, otherwise I don't use it.

No facebook, no instagram, no snapchat etc etc. MORE time :)

Download Telegram and join the Wifaqul Ulama Q&A Group (Markaz al ifta GENTS) inshaAllah may be of benefit.

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 21st March 2019 18:59
Bismillah.

I have spent the whole day researching this here are my conclusions.

When hearing of bad news one should take the following steps.

(1) Make immediate dua, seeking Allah (Rabul Izzats) mercy and protection , and relief for those affected.

(2) If possible one should provide material or emotional assistance to those afflicted by the calamity.

(3) One should not forward any messages unless you are exhorting them to assist if they are able.

(4) You may have the intention of forwarding the message, to encourage others to make dua for those afflicted by a calamity. But unfortunately these days people have very little conviction in the power of Dua...They dont make Dua for themselves or their nearest and dearest when they are going through difficulties.
It is highly unlikely that they will make Dua for complete strangers.

(5) Forwarding such videos has unwittingly become a form of entertainment for us...Outside the virtual world we would act differently. For example if you heard someone yiu did not know was stabbed, you would not phone everyone of your friends and relatives to share this news. But on whatsapp and other social networking sites, thats exactly what we do. Because it only takes a click of a button to forward that message to all your contacts.

(6) We must look at our inner intentions when forwarding such messages...Often without even realising, we are only forwarding that message to feed our egos we want to be the first to deliver that news. This happens especially within group chats.

(7) We have become so addicted that when others appeal to us not to forward such videos.We completely ignore such advice and continue to do so. As happened recently with the Terrorist Attacks in New Zealand.

(8) The end result is that all this technology and I would include television and video games in the same group has desensitised us.

Years ago just hearing about some tragedy would have made us feel deep sorrow and empathy for those affected. Now a days it has very little effect on us, a few days later we move on to something else.

So does any one have any advice in addition to what I wrote.

+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 21st March 2019 19:08
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

you have summarised all the points well and covered all everything. only thing i can possibily think of which is more wishful thinking is perhaps save the next generation. most of us grown up on tv, games, internet have seen all there is to see so our hearts dont tremble when we see so much death and destruction.

unfortunately everyone is in on this craze, young old religious jahaail you name it. everyone forwards everything and anything they receive without verifying stuff or send things just for the sake of it. iv changed my settings so nothing gets downloaded unless i do it manually.

even sending islamic stuff is becoming an issue. i dnt mind one hadith a day or short clip max 2mins but you get bombarded with 100s of hadith and sayings which i instantly delete and any video over 2mins i delete unless it really interests me,
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 21st March 2019 19:28
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

So to summarise what your saying is that we dont bother with the ettiquettes of speech when we are using social networking sites.Or reflect on what we are about to say.

With information overload even religious knowledge has no impact on us. Modern technology has killed our attention spans.

I can understand that from personal experience. Years ago I remember catching 2 buses to visit an Islamic bookshop so I could purchase some audio cassettes. It was like a 3 hour round trip. I kept those cassettes and listened to them over and over again.

Now a days I would have to force myself to listen to a one hour lecture. Usually I am not actually listening or paying attention I am day dreaming about other stuff.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 21st March 2019 20:59
I think these apps are the burning coal that we find easier to hold than to offer Salah (metaphorically)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 21st March 2019 21:22
View original post

il go further and say we dont bother with anything when it comes to social media/whatsapp. its changed everything. you mentioned attention spans i read a report about schools now considering reducing lessons as kids cant handle full sessions. ppl r so usd to tpyin lyk dis dat exams nw cnsidrng 2 alow txt lingo 4 exams.

also people take on a different persona wh en online. im not on about just far right cowards who called themselves knight templars online but on road wont even say boo to a muslims face but even on this forum you get people speaking arrogantly and rudely but wouldnt dare do it in real life.

even hayaa is lost on social media. i honestly believe for practising muslims who stay way from stuff like zinaa they are better of talking to ghair mahrem face to face than on social media as they will showmore haya in real life were as online they prob end up senidn emojis, 'lols' or 'x' and before you know it haram is committed.

and same with your last point. everyone just reduced islam to online now. even so called practising. they now boast akhi im doing arabic online im doing tajweed online. few lessons in they drop out. real zeal for deen is long gone. i accept the moment our master died (saw) the link between muslims and islam was on a downward slope but with social media its accelerated. i must be one of the few people left who prefers listening to bayans live in masjid rather on recordings. even my local darse and taleem i attend on weekends the numbers have dropped you barely get 6 people. maulana has been doing the darse on saturdays since 1986 and taleem on islah every sunday since 1991 and as time goes on less and less people attend, everyone just wants youtube celebrity shaykhs.

i recently found outt there is such a thing called 'muslim twitter' were muslims even so called religous ones just argue about the most mundane issues and have petty squable and gender wars. they can spends days on one topic yet will rather die than sit in a masjid listening to a bayan
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 26th March 2019 19:55
As Salaam Alaykum.

In addition to the above and even worse....we got muslims taking old videos from youtube.Creating fake captions in order to attract visitors to their social media...These videos are then going viral.

I received 2 today.... one video showing drunken football fans smashing up a cafe. With the caption reading "Chelsea Football Fans, Smash up Cafe because the owner is a Muslim..." Trying to link it to the present climate post New Zealand.

Quick search showed the video was actually from 2012.

Another video showing a guy in prison being attacked by fellow inmates. With caption reading "New Zealand Terrorist gets beat up in Prison he deserves it."

The fact the prisoners were in Orange jump suits..Looked like it was actually a video from an American Prison. Also commonsense states that a Terrorist Prisoner will most likley be in Isolation.

So I checked anyways another old video from youtube.

These muslims have lost the plot why they creating fake videos for.

+0 -0Old x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 26th March 2019 21:58
View original post

Yes iv had these videos too and much worse. What is even more shocking is ulema also forward on these chain msgs which makes it worse. Ud usually think they would be more careful.
In the last 5yrs must shaykh huzaifi has died over 5x according to my WhatsApp yet a 5 second research would show him leading salah same day. I was going to say this is not a Muslim issue n more of a case Muslims following kuffar into lizard hole scenario but I fink ur right. I dnt hav any kuffar on my on who send pointless, gory, fake videos. Seems to be just Muslims and also far right do same things to whip up anti Muslim bigotry.

However the issue isn't WhatsApp if u take that away Muslims will do it elsewhere. I remember before social media I used to get them silly long chain emails. Some of the msgs on WhatsApp are same as the email ones over 15yrs ago. Every Yr u get that msg about some shayhh ahmed seeing dream n he from MADINAH ( medinah always in capitals) about end times being near
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 26th March 2019 22:36
La Hawla Wala Quwatta Illah Billah.

No post ratings