Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Importance And Virtues Of Salah (Prayer)

Jump to page:

You have contributed 1.4% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taqwah, abu mohammed, Taalibah, Jinn, queenie, Maria al-Qibtiyya, Naqshband66, Acacia, Arslan., Arfatzafar
24 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 1st December 2010 22:45
The Excellence of Standing in the First Row (In Salat)

Jabir bin Samurah (radiallahu anhuma) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) came out to us (once) and said, "Why do you not stand in rows as the angels do before their Rubb?'' We asked: "O Messenger of Allah! how do the angels stand in rows before their Rubb?'' He (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) replied, "They complete each row beginning with the first and filling all the gaps.''
[Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "If people came to know the blessing of calling Adhan and the standing in the first row, they could do nothing but would draw lots to secure these privileges.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "The best of the men's rows (in Salat) is the first row and the worst is the last; but the best of the woman's row is the last and the worst of their rows is the first.''
[Muslim]

Islam has strongly condemned the association of men and women and enjoined women to keep away from mixing with men and observe Hijab (veil). The merit and demerit of place, in the rows in prayer, mentioned in this Hadith is with reference to this background because in the days of the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) women used to perform Salat in the Prophet's mosque and their rows were at the end of the gathering. There was no gallery nor a separate section for them. Thus, for men the best place for performing Salat in congregation is the first row because it is farthest from women. The best place for women in Salat in congregation is the last row because it is farthest from men. On the contrary, the last row of men was near the first row of women and for this reason it was regarded as the worst one. Every row of the people performing Salat is good but due to the reason just mentioned, the first row of men and the last row of women are more meritorious, while the last row of men and the first row of women have a lesser merit.

Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (radiallahu anh) reported: When the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) perceived a tendency among his Companions to stand in the back rows, he said to them, "Come forward and be close to me and let those who come after you, follow your lead. If people continue to fall behind (i.e., in acquiring virtues), Allah puts them behind.''
[Muslim]

Anas (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (hermaphrodite) said, "Fill (complete) the first row, then the one next to it; and if there is any deficiency (incompleteness), it should be in the last row.''
[Abu Dawud]

`A'ishah (radiallahu anha) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Allah and His angels invoke blessings upon those who are on the right side of the rows.''
[Abu Dawud]

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Let the Imam stand in the middle (so that those praying behind him should be standing both on his right and his left) and close the gaps.''
[Abu Dawud]

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 1st December 2010 22:48
Urging to Observe 'Isha' and Fajr Prayers in Congregation

`Uthman ibn `Affan (radiallahu anh) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) saying: "One who performs `Isha' prayer in congregation, is as if he has performed Salat for half of the night. And one who performs the Fajr prayer in congregation, is as if he has performed Salat the whole night.''
[Muslim]

The narration of At-Tirmidhi says: `Uthman ibn Affan (radiallahu anh) narrated that he had heard the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) saying: "He who attends `Isha' in congregation, is as if he has performed Salat for half of the night; and he who attends `Isha' and Fajr prayers in congregation, is as if he has performed Salat for the whole night.''

This Hadith tells us that the reward of performing `Isha' and Fajr prayers in congregation is so great that it equals the worship of the whole night.

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "If they knew the merits of Salat after nightfall (`Isha') and the morning (Fajr) Salat, they would come to them even if they had to crawl to do so.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "No Salat is more burdensome to the hypocrites than the Fajr (dawn) prayer and the `Isha' (night) prayer; and if they knew their merits, they would come to them even if they had to crawl to do so.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

`Isha' and Fajr prayers were, and still are, very hard for the hypocrites for the reason that they performed Salat only to make a show of it and not for the fear of Allah. Therefore, Muslims should not show any laziness in them at all, lest they develop a resemblance with the hypocrites.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 1st December 2010 23:06
Sunnah Salat Of Jumu'ah

It is Sunnah to offer supererogatory salahs before and after Jumu'ah.

al-Samarqandi stated that: "Sunnah before Jumu'ah is four rak'ats." [al-Samarqandi, Tuhfat al-Fuqaha' 93]

Ibn 'Umar (radiallahu anhuma) used to perform a long salah before Jumu'ah and then two rak'ahs after it, and he said the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to do so. [Abu Dawood]

It is Sunnah to pray four rak'ahs after Jumu'ah according to Imam Abu Haneefah (rahmatullahi alaih), and six rak'ahs according to Abu Yusuf (rahmatullahi alaih) and Muhammad ibn al-Hasan (rahmatullahi alaih). al-Samarqandi stated the Ibn Mas'ood (radiallahu anh) came to Kufah and prayed four rak'ahs after Jumu'ah, then 'Ali (radiallahu anh) came and he would pray six rak'ahs after Jumu'ah. Abu Haneefah (rahmatullahu alaih) followed the practise of Ibn Mas'ood (radiallahu anh) whilst Abu Yusuf (rahmatullahi alaih) and Muhammad (rahmatullahi alaih) followed 'Ali's (radiallahu anh) practise. It is narrated from Imam Abu Yusuf (rahmatullahi alaih) that one should pray four rak'ahs first, then two more rak'ahs. This is so one does not pray after the fard a prayer similar to it (in the number of rak'ahs). [al-Samarqandi, Tuhfat al-Fuqaha' 93]

Abu Hurayrah (radiallahu anh) reported that the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: "Whoever wants to pray after the Jumu'ah should pray four rak'ahs." [Muslim] It has been narrated from 'Abdullah ibn 'Umar (radiallahu anhuma) that he prayed two rak'ahs after Jumu'ah, then he prayed four rak'ahs. [al-Tahawi, Sharh ma'ani al-athar, 337]

Imam Muhammad (rahmatullahi alaih) narrated from Ibraheem al-Nakhai'ee (rahmatullahi alaih) saying: "Four rak'ahs before the Zuhr and four rak'ahs after the Jumu'ah should not be seperated by a salam." Imam Muhammad (rahmatullahi alaih) said: "We adhere to this and it is also the opinion if Abu Haneefah (rahmatullahi alaih)." [Abu Haneefah, Kitab al-Athar, 31]

Four Rak'at Sunnah Before Jumu'ah Khutbah

Question:

Regards to sunnah of Jummah! The four rakaats of sunnah prayed before the khutba, what is its authenticity, it's evidence?! In the prophet's time there was only one azaan, did the sermon start immediately after the azaan, or did Prophet (SAL) pray four rakaats and then gave the Khutbah? How did these rakaats be pronounced as sunnah muakkadah? Please give a detailed explanation with evidence and reference!

Answer:

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu 'alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

The issue of four rakaats salaah before the jummah salaat is well substantiated and proven from the books of Hadith. Many Muhaditheen such as Ibn Abi Shayba (رحمه الله), Abdur Razzaaq (رحمه الله) etc have set aside chapters in their Hadith books to discuss this issue.

It is sunnat to perform four rakaats of salaah before the jumu'ah salaat. Consider the following Ahadith:

.كان يصلي قبل الجمعة أربعا وبعدها أربعا

"Ali (رضي الله عنه) reports that Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to perform four rak'aat salaah before the jumu'ah salaah and after the jum'aah salaah" (I'laaus Al-Sunan, vol 7, pg 13, Idaratul Al-Quran)

The chain of narrators in the above narration is good. (Tarhut Al-Tathreeb, vol 3, pg 36, Ilmiyya)

.كان رسول الله يركع قبل الجمعة أربعا وبعدها أربعا

"Ibn Abbas (رضي الله عنهما) reports that Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to perform four rak'aat of salaah before and after the jumu'ah salaah" (I'laaus Al-Sunan, vol 7, pg 13, Idaratul Al-Quran)

The above hadith with the chain of narrators that appear in Tabrani is good. (I'laaus Al-Sunan, vol 7, pg 13, Idaratul Al-Quran)

.عن أبي عبد الرحمن السلمي قال : كان عبد الله يأمرنا أن نصلي قبل الجمعة أربعا ، وبعدها أربعا

Abu Abdir Rahman Al-Sulami (رحمه الله) reports: "Abdullah (ibn Mas'ood) رضي الله عنه used to command us to perform four rak'aat salaah before jumu'ah and after the jumu'ah salaah" (Musannaf Abdir Al-Razaaq, vol 3, pg 247, Idaratul Quran)

The chain of narrators in the above Hadith is authentic. (Athaar Al-Sunan, pg 303, Imdaadiyya)

.عن عبد الله قال كان يصلي قبل الجمعة أربعا

"Abdullah (Ibn Mas'ood) رضي الله عنه reports that Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to perform four rak'aat before the jumu'ah salaah" (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba, vol 4, pg 114, Al-Majlis al-Ilmi)

.عن صافية ، قالت : رأيت صفية بنت حيي رضي الله عنها ، صلت أربع ركعات قبل خروج الإمام للجمعة ، ثم صلت الجمعة مع الإمام ركعتين .

Saafiyah (رضي الله عنها) reports: "I saw Safiyyah Binti Huyay (رضي الله عنها) performing four rak'aat of salaah before the Imaam came out for jumu'ah, then she performed two rak'aat of jumu'ah salaat with the Imaam" (Nasbur Al-Raayah, vol 2, pg 207, Makkiyya)

.عن إبراهيم قال كانوا يصلون قبلها أربعا.

"Ibrahim (Al-Nakh'ee) رحمه الله reports that the Sahaba (رضي الله عنهم أجمعين) used to perform four rak'aat of salaah before the jumu'ah salaah" (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, vol 4, pg 114, Al-Majlis al-Ilmi)

Abdullah Ibn Mas'ood (رضي الله عنه) used to command the people to perform four rak'aat of salaah before the jumu'ah salaah as understood from the above Ahadith. This is an indication that Abdullah Ibn Mas'ood (رضي الله عنه) used to consider these four rak'aat as Sunnat Mu'akkadah. In fact the Muhaditheen classify the Athar of Ibn Mas'ood رضي الله عنه as "Marfoo' Hukman". (I'laaus Al-Sunan, vol 7, pg 12, Idaratul Quran)

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Talha Desai,

Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 1st December 2010 23:13
The Excellence of Performing Salat (Prayers) in Congregation

Ibn `Umar (radiallahu anhuma) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Salat in congregation is twenty-seven times more meritorious than a Salat performed individually.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "A man's Salat in congregation is twenty-five times more rewarding than his Salat at home or in his shop, and that is because when he performs his Wudu' properly and proceeds towards the mosque with the purpose of performing Salat in congregation, he does not take a step without being raised a degree (in rank) for it and having a sin remitted for it, till he enters the mosque. When he is performing Salat, the angels continue to invoke Blessings of Allah on him as long as he is in his place of worship in a state of Wudu'. They say: `O Allah! Have mercy on him! O Allah! Forgive him.' He is deemed to be engaged in Salat as long as he waits for it.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: A blind man came to the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and said: "O Messenger of Allah! I have no one to guide me to the mosque.'' He, therefore, sought his permission to perform Salat (prayer) in his house. He (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) granted him permission. When the man turned away, he called him back, and said, "Do you hear the Adhan (call to prayer)?'' He replied in the affirmative. The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) then directed him to respond to it.
[Muslim]

`Abdullah bin Umm Maktum, the Mu'adhdhin (radiallahu anh) reported: I said to the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam): "There are many poisonous insects and wild beasts in Al-Madinah, and I am blind. Please grant me permission to perform Salat at home.'' He (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) enquired whether he could hear the call: Hayya `alas-Salah; Hayya `alal-Falah (Come to the prayer, come to the salvation). When he replied in affirmative, the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) directed him to come (to mosque) for prayer.''
[Abu Dawud]

These two Ahadith relate to Ibn Umm Maktum. In spite of the fact that he was blind, he was not allowed by the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) to perform Salat at home. The Hadith signifies the importance of performing Salat in congregation in the mosque abundantly clear.

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "By Him in Whose Hand my life is, I sometimes thought of giving orders for firewood to be collected, then for proclaiming the Adhan for Salat. Then I would appoint an Imam to lead Salat, and then go to the houses of those who do not come to perform Salat in congregation, and set fire to their houses on them.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Ibn Mas`ud (radiallahu anh) reported: He who likes to meet Allah tomorrow (i.e., on the Day of Requital) as a Muslim, should take care and observe the Salat when the Adhan is announced for them. Allah has expounded to your Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) the ways of right guidance, and these (the prayers) are part of the right guidance. If you have to perform Salat in your houses, as this man who stays away (from the mosque) and performs Salat in his house, you will abandon the Sunnah (practice) of your Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam), and the departure from the Sunnah of your Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) will lead you astray. I have seen the time when no one stayed behind except a well-known hypocrite. I also saw that a man was brought swaying (on account of weakness) between two men till he was set up in a row (in the mosque).
[Muslim]

Abud-Darda' (radiallahu anh) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) saying, "If three men in a village or in the desert, make no arrangement for Salat in congregation, Satan must have certainly overcome them. So observe Salat in congregation, for the wolf eats up a solitary sheep that stays far from the flock.''
[Abu Dawud]

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 1st December 2010 23:18
Briefness to be Adopted in Performing the two Rak'ah Sunnah before Fajr Prayer, their time and the Surah to recite in them

Aishah (radiallahu anha) reported: The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to perform two Rak`ah short prayer between the Adhan (call to prayer) and the Iqamah of the dawn (Fajr) prayers.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

In another narration, `A'ishah (radiallahu anha) said: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to perform two supererogatory Rak`ah prayer of Fajr and make them so short in duration that I used to think whether he had recited Surat Al-Fatihah (in it) or not.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

In the narration of Muslim, `Aishah (radiallahu anha) said: When the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to hear the Adhan (of Fajr prayer) he would perform two supererogatory Rak`ah prayer and would make them short.

Hafsah (radiallahu anha) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to perform two short Rak`ah prayer when it was dawn and the Mu'adhdhin had called Adhan (for the Fajr prayer).
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) recited in the two supererogatory Rak`ah of the Fajr prayer Surat Al-Kafirun (No. 109) [in the first Rak`ah], and Surat Al-Ikhlas (No. 112) [in the second Rak`ah].
[Muslim]

Ibn `Umar (radiallahu anhuma) reported: I observed the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) for one month reciting in the two supererogatory Rak`ah of the Fajr prayer Surat Al-Kafirun (No. 109) [in the first Rak`ah], and Surat Al-Ikhlas (No. 112) [in the second Rak`ah].
[At-Tirmidhi].

One can recite any Surah or Ayah in the two Sunnah of Fajr prayer, but if one recites the Verses mentioned in this Hadith, he will have the benefit of following the Sunnah of the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam). Every Muslim should strive to follow the practice of the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) for the enrichment of his mind, soul and actions.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 1st December 2010 23:21
Desirability of Lying down on one's right side after the Sunnah of Fajr Prayer

`A'ishah (radiallahu anha) reported: When the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) had performed two Rak`ah before the Fajr prayer, he would lie down on his right side.
[Al-Bukhari]

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "When anyone of you has performed two of Sunnah before the Fajr prayer, he should lie down on his right side."
[Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi]

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
Rank Image
London
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd December 2010 13:33
Fiqh Of Salah - Mufti Abdur-Rahman ibn Yusuf

Lesson 1

Youtube Video

Q&A For Lesson 1

Lesson 2

Q&A For Lesson 2

The main text being used is Nur al-Idah. Shaykh states the rulings primarily for the Hanafi school of thought but also mention the rulings in the other schools as well.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 8th December 2010 23:07
The Issue Of Raf al-Yadayn

Shaykh Mumtaz Ul Haq

Halalified YT Audio

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 9th December 2010 08:25
Salatul Tasbeeh

It is recorded in Sunan Abi Dawud and other books of hadith that Rasulullah (sallallahu `alayhi wasallam) once said to his uncle Hadrat `Abbas (radiallahu anh) : 'O Abbas! O my uncle! Shall I not give you a gift? Shall I not show you something by means of which Allah Ta`ala will forgive your sins, the first and the last of them, the past and recent, the unintentional and the intentional, the small and huge, the secret and open?'

Rasulullah (sallallahu `alayhi wasallam) then taught him the Salah al-Tasbih. Furthermore he advised him that it be offered daily, if possible. If not then every Friday or once a month or once a year or at least once in one's life time.

Salah al-Tasbih consists of 4 raka`at. It can be performed any time of the day or night except at the makrooh (disliked) times.

The following tasbih is recited seventy-five times in each rak`ah totalling 300 in the 4 raka`at.

Subhaanallaah, walhamdu lillaah, walaa ilaaha illallaah, wallaahu akbar

The method of this salah is as follows:

* Start the prayer as usual (allahu akbar, thana, etc), followed by the above tasbih 15 times.
* Then go into Ruku and after reciting the usual tasbih for ruku` (subhaana rabbiyal-adheem) recite the above tasbih 10 times.
* While rising up from ruku' recite sami allahu liman hamidah. After standing up from ruku` recite the usual Allahumma Rabbana wa Lakal Hamd and thereafter recite the tasbih 10 times.
* Then go into Sajda and after reciting the usual tasbih for sajda (subhaana rabbiyal-a'la) recite the above tasbih 10 times.
* Then sit up from sajda and recite the tasbih 10 times between the two sajdas.
* Thereafter go into sajda again and after reciting the usual tasbih for sajda recite the above tasbih 10 times.
* Then sit after the 2nd sajda (i.e. before standing up for the second rak`ah) and recite the tasbih 10 times.

This adds up to 75 times in one rak`ah. Do the same for the remaining 4 raka`at

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 9th December 2010 08:29
Salaatul Tawba

Whenever one commits an act of wrongdoing he should hasten (as soon after committing it as possible) to make Wudu (ablution), and then perform 2 rak'ats of (nafl) salaat. Thereafter, he should seek forgiveness from Allah, and repent of whatever wrong he had committed until he feels genuine remorse at what he had done, and resolves never again to commit that particular wrong.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 9th December 2010 16:09
The Excellence of Proceeding towards the Masjid Walking

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu ta'ala anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "He who goes to the mosque in the morning or in the evening, Allah prepares for him a place in Jannah whenever he goes to the mosque in the morning and returns from it in the evening.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

This Hadith points out the merit of going on foot to the mosque for Salat, no matter whether one goes in the morning or the evening. In fact, the heart of a Muslim should be attached to mosques and on account of this, he goes there at all the prescribed hours of Salat to perform his Salat in congregation.

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu ta'ala anh) reported: The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "He who purifies (performs Wudu') himself in his house and then walks to one of the houses of Allah (mosque) for performing an obligatory Salat, one step of his will wipe out his sins and another step will elevate his rank (in Jannah).''
[Muslim]

This Hadith has an inducement for offering Salat in the mosque and brings into eminence the merit of doing so. The merit lies in the fact that one minor sin is pardoned at every step that is taken towards the mosque and one's status (in Jannah) is enhanced by one stage. This Hadith also mentions the vastness of the Mercy and Blessing of Allah.

Ubayy ibn Ka`b (radiallahu ta'ala anh) reported: There was a man of the Ansar whose house was the farthest from the mosque. As far as I know, he never missed Salat (in congregation). It was said to him: "If you buy a donkey, you may ride upon it in the dark nights and in the hot days.'' He said: "I do not like that my house should be situated close to the mosque. I desire that my walking towards the mosque and returning home be recorded to my credit.'' Upon this the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Allah has gathered all (rewards) for you.''
[Muslim]

The location of the mosque at a long distance from one's house is advantageous in the sense that one gains merits at every step when he goes to the mosque and returns from it. Not only that, a minor sin of him is also pardoned at every step. This Hadith also highlights the merit of good intention. One can attain many heights by dint of one's good intentions.

Jabir (radiallahu ta'ala anh) reported: There were some plots of land lying vacant around the mosque. The people of Banu Salamah decided to move to this land and come nearer to the mosque. The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) heard about it and said to them, "I have heard that you intend to move near the mosque.'' They said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah! We have decided to do that.'' Thereupon the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "O Banu Salamah! Stay in your houses, because your footprints (when you come to the mosque) will be recorded.'' He said this twice. They said: "We would not have liked it, had we moved near the mosque.''
[Muslim]

This Hadith mentions the merit of living at a distance from mosque. It is better that such people who lack the passion for worship and are not punctual in Salat should live near mosque so that they do not neglect the obligatory prayers.

Abu Musa (radiallahu ta'ala anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "The person who will receive the highest reward for Salat (prayer) is the one who comes to perform it in the mosque from the farthest distance. And he who waits for Salat to perform it with the Imam (in congregation) will have a greater reward than the one who observes it alone and then goes to sleep.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

A person who comes to the mosque for Salat from a longer distance earns a greater reward than the others who live near the mosque. It also mentions the merit of performing Salat in congregation and waiting for it till one performs it behind the Imam.

Buraidah (radiallahu ta'ala anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Convey glad tidings to those who walk to the mosque in the darkness. For they will be given full light on the Day of Resurrection.''
[At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud]

"In the darkness'' here indicates the Fajr and `Isha' prayers which are performed when it is dark. Because of the street lighting nowadays we do not feel darkness in these hours in towns and cities but even then these lights do not overcome the darkness completely. Thus in spite of the lights, Fajr and `Isha' prayers are the prayers of the dark. Their merit mentioned in this Hadith is that those Muslims who go to the mosque for these prayers will be endowed with perfect light on the Day of Requital by means of which they will easily cross As-Sirat, while those who will be deprived of this light will be facing great trouble in crossing it.

Abu Hurairah (radiallahu ta'ala anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "Shall I not tell you something by which Allah effaces the sins and elevates the ranks (in Jannah).'' The Companions (radiallahu anhum) said: "Yes (please tell us), O Messenger of Allah.'' He said, "Performing the Wudu' properly in spite of difficult circumstances, walking with more paces to the mosque, and waiting for the next Salat (prayer) after a observing Salat; and that is Ar-Ribat, and that is Ar-Ribat.''
[Muslim]

Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (radiallahu ta'ala anh) reported: The Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "When you see a man frequenting the mosque, testify that he is a believer because Allah says: `Allah's mosques are visited only by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day.'''
[At-Tirmidhi]

One who goes to the mosque again and again to perform Salat in congregation deserves that one bears witness to his faith. This Hadith also brings into prominence the merit and distinction of those who have an attachment to the mosque, a passion for worship and remembrance of Allah, and fondness for the construction and maintenance of the mosque.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 24th December 2010 23:31
The first and foremost important duty in Islam after one has brought faith in Allah and in the Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam), and borne testimony to the oneness of Allah and Prophethood of Muhammed (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) as His Prophet is Salaah (prayer).

It is a very special act of Divine worship which a Muslim is called upon to perform five times a day. There are numerous verses of the Holy Qur'an and the tradition of the Holy Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) enjoining the Salaah on us. It has been described as a pillar of Islam, and also the foundation of Islam.

Salaah, if it is offered with a sincere heart, proper devotion and mental concentration, is particularly vested with the property of cleansing the heart, reforming one's life and ridding it of sins and impurities. It generates love, piety and also truth. It promotes fear of Allah in man.

A tradition of the Holy Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) reads: "What separates a believer from infidelity is simply the Salaah."

This tradition clearly warns that if a Muslim gives up Salaah he will get associated with infidelity; his conduct will become that of an infidel. In another tradition, the Holy Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) has said:
"He has no share in Islam who does not offer Salaah."

Let us now imagine what our end is going to be if we fail to cultivate the habit of Salaah. It has been heard by most of us on numerous occasions that on the day of Qiyamah, we will be raised with those groups of people who we imitated in this world.

Do we ever stop to think who we are imitating? Why do we behave the way we do? What is our goal in life? What do we hope to achieve in this life?

Performing Salaah five times daily is the basis of Islam upon which Inshallah everything else will fall into place accordingly.

May Allah Taa'la grant us the ability to perform our 5 daily Salaah. Ameen

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 26th December 2010 08:05
Once in the time of the great scholar imam Abu Hanifa (rahmatullahi alaih) a person hid his wealth in the midst of a forest. After a certain time period of his life, due to a necessity he went looking for his wealth, but he could not find it. He could not find the wealth due to the fact that it had been a long time since he had hidden it, and had forgotten the place. Therefore, the needy man went to Imam Abu Hanifa (rahmatullahi alaih) and Imam Saheb (rahmatullahi alaih) said, "Sorry but I can't help you I am a jurist not a fortune teller," but the man insisted for some help. Imam Abu Hanifa (rahmatullahi alaih) agreed and told the person to pray salah for the whole night. Therefore, the man went back to his house and started to pray. As soon as he started to pray his salaah, the place of the wealth came to his mind. Because he was interested about his wealth, he broke his salah and went towards the wealth. The following day he went to Imam Saheb (rahmatullahi alaih) and told him what happened last night. After hearing the story, Imam Saheb (rahmatullahi alaih) replied, "I knew that Satan would not let you pray salah all night" and told him that he should have finished the salah.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 28th December 2010 23:08
Adhan and Iqama when praying alone

Sayyiduna Uqba ibn Amir (radiallahu anh) relates that I heard the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) say: "Your Lord, the Exalted, is pleased with a shepherd of goats at the peak of a mountain, who makes the call to prayer (gives the Adhan) and offers prayer. Allah, the Exalted, says, "Look at this servant of mine; he gives the Adhan and Iqama for prayer out of fear for me. I have forgiven my slave and entered him into Paradise." (Sunan Abi Dawud no: 1196, Sunan Nasa'i no: 665 and Musnad Ahmad 4/157)

Sayyiduna Malik ibn al-Huwayrith (radiallahu anh) says that two men came to the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), wanting to travel. So the Messenger of Allah (salallahu 'alahyi wa sallam) said: "When you set out, give the Adhan and the Iqama and then the oldest of you should be the Imam." (Sahih al-Bukhari no: 604)

Sayyiduna Salman al-Farisi (radiallahu anh) relates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: "If a man is in a deserted land and the time of prayer arrives, thus he performs ablution (wudhu); and if he does not find water he performs the dry ablution (tayammum). If he gives the Iqama [and offers prayer], his two angels offer prayer with him, and if he gives the Adhan and Iqama, an army of Allah pray behind him - the two sides of which is not visible [due to it's sheer number]." (Musannaf Abd al-Razzaq no: 1955 and Al-Mu'jam al-Kabir of Tabarani 6/249)

The follower (tabi'ee), Tawus (radhmatullahi alaih) says: "When a man [who is alone] offers prayer with Iqama, his two angels pray with him. And when he gives the Adhan and Iqama, many angels offer prayer with him." (Musannaf Abd al-Razzaq no: 1952. Similar statements have been recorded in the same chapter of the Al-Musannaf from Abdullah ibn Umar, Mak'hul and Sa'id ibn al-Masayyab, radiallahu anhum).

It is stated in the renowned Hanafi Fiqh primer, Nur al-Idah: It is an emphasized (mu'akkada) Sunna to give both the Adhan and Iqama for obligatory prayers (fara'idh), even when praying alone, whether for current prayers or make-up prayers, whether on journey or at home, for men. It is [prohibitively] disliked for women to give both the Adhan and Iqama. (See: Shurunbulali, Maraqi al-Falah Sharh Nur al-Idha, P: 194-195)

Both Adhan and Iqama are Sunnat for men only, and not women, rather it is disliked for women to give Adhan and Iqama, as reported from Ibn Umar, Anas and others (radiallahu anhum). The reason for this is that Adhan and Iqama are from the Sunnat of congregation, and the basis of men's prayer is that it is performed in congregation; thus, when they pray alone, they perform it as the congregational prayer. The basis of women's prayer, however, is that it is performed alone, and as such, Adhan and Iqama are not Sunna for them.

Secondly, where it is prohibitively disliked (makruh tahrim) for a man to omit the Adhan and Iqama, if he were to pray without giving the Adhan and Iqama, his prayer is still valid and he is not required to repeat it.

[Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari]

No post ratings

Jump to page:

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What shape is the red shape ('round' is not a shape)?