Dr. I need a 2nd opinion on Taraweeh
Is Taraweeh 8 or 20 Rakats?
Sorry Dr. but I disagree with you!
I Love The Work You Do for Islam and Comparative Religion and I respect that and I Love you for that, but I'm affraid I will need a second opinion on this
Well Dr, you clearly say that the Hadith is in Bukhari, The book of Tahajjud. Allah knows best if you have quoted the full Hadith or not, but from the Hadith that we all know below, you seem to take bits and pieces from it and clearly say that the Prophet did this in Ramadhan AND in other months too.
When does any one pray Taraweeh in other months?
This Hadith is clearly for Tahajjud. You also says that he used to offer 4 rakats, since when is taraweeh done in 4's? Another evidence that this Hadith is for Tahajjud.
You speak about the Salafus Saleheen that they offered different numbers of Rakats, but it is well known that the people of Makkah used to perform Tawaf after every 4 rakats as their pause (Tarweeha) and because the people of Madinah were unable to perform Tawaf, they prayed 4 rakats Nafil Salah individualy and not in jamaat, as their pause (Tarweeha), making a total of 36 rakats in Madinah, but this act was soon stopped, this argument can not be used.
Aisha RA also mentions that the prophet would wake up to pray, this means that he slept. Again, when does any one sleep before Taraweeh.
Dr. Why quote bits and pieces from the Hadith below, you can put it all together and give the more correct opinion that Sayyidina Umar RA gathered all the Sahaba and appointed Hadhrat Ubbay ibn Ka'ab as the Imam and told him to lead every one in one Jamaat in 20 Rakaats.
Some claim that Taraweeh is the same as Tahajjud, then why are there differences
Differences between Tahajjud and Taraweeh
1. Tahajjud is mentioned in The Quran: “Stand up at night except a little.” Taraweeh being a Sunnah was established through the hadith of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam). Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said: “I have made its standing Sunnat for you.”
2. Everyone agrees that the number of Rakaats of Tahajjud have been transmitted by Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), the maximum being 13 including Witr and the minimum being 7 including Witr. However no specific number has been transmitted from Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) regarding Taraweeh as clearly stated by ibne Taymiyyah. Therefore the Aimma-e-Mujtahideen differ in the number. Some say 20 and some say 36, even more. ANd we all know why, and that the action of 36 soon stopped.
3. Tahajjud was ordained in Makkah whilst Taraweeh was prescribed in Madina.
4. It is mentioned in the realiable books of the Hambali Mazhab, Muqna: “Taraweeh is 20 Rakaats which a person performs in Ramadhaan in Jamaat. He will read Witr after it in Jamaat. However if he reads Tahajjud then he will make Witr after it.”
5. Tahajjud is generally performed after sleeping while Taraweeh is performed after Esha.
Sorry Doc, but I need a second Opinion
This is Much Better