1-Could you please tell me the virtues of the night and day of 15th shabaan what should one do with reference from authentic ahadith?2-Is there any mention of making good food in hadith on the day or night of 15th shabaan?jazakumullah
Laylatul Bara'at (15th of Sha'ban in the light of the Quran and Sunnah)
1) The vasy majority of narrations declaring the benefits and virtues of Laylatu Bara'at are weak.
2) However, since these narrations aee numerous and the weakness in many is not severe, the virtue of this NIGHT will be considered authentic. Even Allamah Ibn Taymiyyah, a scholar notorious for refuting such things also accepts the virtue of the night of Bara'at. He says: 'So many ahaadith and reports exist regarding the excellence of the fifteenth night of Shabaan that one is compelled to accept that this night does possess some virtue'. 9Faydhul Qadeer p. 317, v. 2)
3) Allamah Anwar Shah Kashimiri has written regarding the matter that the significance of the night is proven. There is however no prffo for those wean and unacceptable narrations mentioned in certain books. (al-Arf al-Shizee p. 156)
4) There is no specific prescribed Salaah reserved for this night.
5) There is no specific form of Ibadah prescribed for this night.
6) It was the noble habit of Rasoolullah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam to engage in ibadah during the last portion of every night. Ibadah was not restricted to the 15th of Shaban or any other specific night. Ayesha Radhiyallahu anha reports that Rasoolullah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam used to go to bed during the first portion of the night and he would stay awake the last portion of the night (spending it in ibadah). (Bukhari and Muslim)
7) Allah Ta'ala descends to the nearest heaven during the last third of every night. (Bukhari p. 153) This is not restricted to the 15th night of Sha'ban.
8) Visiting the graveyard is not a special characteristic of this night; it is proven from other authentic narrations that Rasoolullah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam would visit the graveyard during the last portion of many nights.
9) It is the consensus (ijma) of all jurists that it is better for an individual to perform optional prayers in ones own home.
10) It was the practise of Rasoolullah Salllallahu alaihi wasallam and the Sahaabah Radhiyallahu anhum to engage in Nafl/optional prayers in their own homes. One can conclude from this that the customs and traditions prevalent today where people assemble on nights such as these have no base in the Qur'an or Sunnah.
11) Fasting on the 15th of Sha'ban is not proven from any Sahih Hadith
12) It is a misconception that the fast of the 15th of Sha'ban is Sunnah. There is only one hadtih regarding fasting on this day but it is extremely weak, as one of its narrators, Ibn Abi Sabirah is extremely weak, has been accused of fabricating Ahaadith too. (Mizaan al-I'tidaal, p. 503, v. 4) NO ACTION CAN BE PROVEN SUNNAH ON THE BASIS OF SUCH A WEAK HADITH.
13) Fasting in the month of Sha'ban without the specification of any day is proven from Rasoolullah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam. Infact, he used to fast excessively during this month.
14) Fasting on the ayyam-e-Beedh (13th, 14th and 15th of every lunar month) is proven from the Ahaadith.
15) The BLESSED NIGHT, mentioned in Surah Dukhan of the Quran, according to the Majority (Jumhoor) is the night of Qadr, and not the 15th night of Sha'baan.
16) The name Laylatul Bara'at was intoduced after a few centuries. Earlier Hadith books would mention Ahaadith regarding this night under the heading laylat al-Nisf min Sha'ban (Chapter on the night of the 15th of Sha'ban)
17) The custom of cooking a specific food for the 15th night of Sha'ban has no basis in the Qur'an or Sunnah. Nor does the lighting of lamps or having lighting outside the Masaajid as practised by some people.
1) Value this night. Turn to Allah in ibadah (in your own homes). Seek forgiveness for the sins you may have committed.
2) There is no specific form of Ibadah prescribed by Shari'ah for this night.
3) Dont engage in any form of Bid'ah
4) Dont restrict the visiting of the graveyard or any form of Isaale Thawaab to the 15th night.
5) Fast as much as you can in the month of Sha'ban. However, if one fears this may make him weak by the time Ramadhan comes then he should not keep in the second half of Sha'ban.
6) Dont fast specifically on the 15th of Sha'ban as this would give the impression that yoiu consider it Sunnah.
7) Nafl Ibadah is best performed individually at home. Avoid large gatherings.
8) Success lies in obeying the commands of Allah and adhering to the teachings of our Nabi, Muhammad Sallallahu alaihi wasallam