Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Face Shields and Masks with Valves Not Effective at Preventing Covid 19

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 09:55
Face shields and masks with exhalation valves are not effective at preventing COVID-19 transmission, finds a new droplet dispersal study. (Physics of Fluids journal, 1 September 2020)

aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0022968

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 10:34
I don't think these studies will make a difference. I was out yesterday and at least 80% of people I saw were wearing one. Some around the neck and some just the mouth but they all had one. I know this thread is to do with masks with exhalation valves but I want to share some stats on face masks in general.

Quote:
The global impacts of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are already starting to be felt and will significantly affect the Masks market in 2020.

Based on QY Latest Report, we have several different scenarios about the Masks YoY growth rate for 2020. The probable scenario is expected to grow by a 153.1% in 2020 and the revenue will be US$ 7.24 billion in 2020 from US$ 2.86 billion in 2019. The market size of Masks will reach US$ 3.14 billion in 2026, with a CAGR of -12.99% from 2020 to 2026.

China is the world’s largest producer and exporter of masks; the production of masks in normal years accounts for about 50% of the world’s output, 70% of which is for export. 90% of American masks are imported from China, and 70% of Japanese masks are dependent on China. At present, China’s production of masks has increased more than 10 times to 120 million per day, but the global supply and demand gap of masks still cannot be alleviated. According to data, the annual output of masks in China in 2018 and 2019 is 4.5 billion and 5 billion respectively, and the daily output is estimated to be 15 million according to the 330-day production.

www.medgadget.com/2020/04/worldwide-face-mask-industry-re...

+3 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 10:53
super-glue wrote:
View original post

Please tell me you aren't saying that the recommendations to wear mask is part of some conspiracy to enrich chinese companies.
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1Facepalm x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 11:00
Concerned wrote:
View original post

For decades now, the only people who actually wore masks in public in London were the Chinese (Asians) most probably due to pollution.

I recall making a comment to my Chinese colleague when I got my first mask, I said, "I feel Chinese" and he knew what I meant.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 11:35

Benefits of Masks.

You can walk along the road without being recognised. Masks are good for being incognito. Helps you avoid people you have not seen in yonks stoppping and asking random personal questions about your life that you rather not discuss.

As far as medicine goes well if someone believes they are a protection then why not? There is something called a placebo effect.
+2 -0Like x 2Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 11:48
Concerned wrote:
View original post

You can take what you want from the "information" - Just don't assume I'm saying anything unless I actually say it. If I was implying what you posted then I would have posted what you implied.
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 12:42
super-glue wrote:
View original post

Did you highlight certain parts of the article or were the highlights already there?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 13:09
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

The highlights are not in the original article. I highlighted the figures of profits and China being the biggest exporters. A lot can be taken from that information but nothing to do with any conspiracy. Taking advantage of any situation for profits is nothing new. Sometimes many are open about these facts as there's no malicious intent there. If anyone wants to jump to "conspiracy" from that post then be my guest. I won't entertain your ideas.
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 13:19
super-glue wrote:
View original post

Why did you highlight certain parts of the article?
+0 -0Agree x 1Facepalm x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 13:24
super-glue wrote:
View original post

It all depends on the premise on which a person is basing their perspective. If a person operates under the naive assumption that this world is full of honest people with a few exceptions here and there, then any suggestion that an entity is being completely duplicitous and dishonest in order to rake in large profits would be a "conspiracy" to that person. If however, a person has a more realistic take on the world, and knows that a large number of people would do anything dishonest for wealth, and the rest of them are only "honest" until the right opportunity arrives for them, then this would not be a conspiracy for you rather just another day in this world.
+4 -0Like x 1Winner x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 13:45
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Just answer the question instead of giving slaps.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 13:49
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 14:18
super-glue wrote:
View original post

Doesn't answer my question.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 15:18
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Isn't this what I have been saying since March?

aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0022968

Quote:
However, there is an increasing trend of people substituting regular cloth or surgical masks with clear plastic face shields and with masks equipped with exhalation valves. One of the factors driving this increased adoption is improved comfort compared to regular masks. However, there is a possibility that widespread public use of these alternatives to regular masks could have an adverse effect on mitigation efforts.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd September 2020 15:26
Benefits Of Covid.

... It should be a reminder that death could overtake as any moment. May ALLAH grant us all good end in a state of Imaan Ameen.

+0 -0Ameen x 3