Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Technical Assistance - Getting Website Noticed

You have contributed 5.6% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 24th June 2014 12:29
Yes, sorry. GD = GoDaddy
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 24th June 2014 12:42
Having helped a number of people set up websites using WordPress, I would recommend it instead of GoDaddy's own site builder.

WordPress is very well established with over 61% share of the CMS (Content Management System) Market , it has a huge community and a very simple plug and play interface to add extra features.

If you go down the WordPress route, I can In Shaa Allah post some instructions to get you started, basically outlining the different steps needed.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 24th June 2014 12:46

Acacia wrote:
View original post

Now I get the picture.

1. Use cpanel to install a CMS system on your website, I recommend wordpress
  2. Get a free wordpress template based on reviews (if you won't want to pay)
  3. Install any plugins you need
  4. Job done.

Brother will post instructions. Your effort will be cut down considerably if you do this...Otherwise you may continue as you wish

adnanc wrote:
View original post

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 24th June 2014 12:57
Masha'Allah brothers.

SubhanAllah, alhamdulillah. MashaAllah, nothing comes easy.
Alhamdulillah, it took me quite some time to adjust the template to my liking and now... well, off to the laptop to see before I get too worked up.

JazakAllah khayran.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 24th June 2014 13:03
Acacia wrote:
View original post

Don't waste time or money on SEO. Work on contents. Wordpress will take care of SEO itself. For google to take your site seriously, you must have links on other domains (sites). That's why people register on here and try to post links with hardly any information. As long as the link is there, they've built reputation.

Paid SEO = 80% scam
Adwords will get you visitors but it will not increase page ranking on search engines
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 24th June 2014 13:51
Masha'Allah, excellent help brothers. JazakAllah khayran to you all.

A question I have now is: given that the service (small business) can only be offered in a specific location, do I need to worry about page ranking on search engines (viewed worldwide) or should I focus on getting visitors through tools such as AdWords (I believe this is targeted based on location and that would really serve my purpose). Alhamdulillah, yesterday I set up LinedIn and Facebook pages for the business with very basic information but neglected to link back to the website from FB - will do now insha'Allah. Insha'Allah social media will help get the 'word' out too.

About the website itself: alhamdulillah, masha'Allah, I created a simple and clean website that was to my liking and took me a fair bit of tweaking to get 'just right.' Nice, but what's the point if I'm the only one looking at it! So, insha'Allah if there is no other way to do this (keeping the site as-is on Website Builder) - the planned next steps are:

(1) painstakingly save the contents (copy/paste);
(2) call GD support and switch from Website Builder to WordPress;
(3) choose a WP theme and paste all the contents onto new pages on WP.

Insha'Allah, once I get through the first 2 steps, I will post again for assistance as needed.

What would those with experience suggest:
(1) keep as is (to avoid hassle) and simply focus on getting traffic to the site; or,
(2) keep as is but continue to look for ways to optimize page rating on Website Builder; or
(3) switch to WordPress, continue working on getting traffic to site but also get a higher page rating.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 24th June 2014 13:55
Yasin wrote:
View original post

Agree 100% on the SEO scam, especially since the Google Panda update, a lot of old link farms are getting penalised for their shoddy SEO practices
+2 -0Like x 2Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 24th June 2014 14:14
SubhanAllah, I wondered why some in the same field were writing articles and keeping blogs. It just seemed like a lot of relatively unnecessary (at least in the short-term) work. Alhamdulillah, it makes sense now. Not only might it be beneficial in the long-run, it gives the client confidence but also boosts page ranking and opens the door for others in the field to want to cross-advertise (increasing traffic to the site).
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 25th June 2014 03:12
Alhamdulillah, the deed is done and I have copied my website content and switched from Website Builder to Managed WordPress. Insha'Allah I will tinker around with it tonight and tomorrow but might need some help. Insha'Allah I will post here before Ramadan and have the site up within the next day or two, before Ramadan.

Insha'Allah, after Ramadan, I will try to collate the helpful tips and steps in a single post for those who may find themselves in a similar situation in the future.

JazakAllah khayran to everyone who posted and offered assistance, and those who assisted with du'aas. May Allah Ta'aala reward you each and every one of you and your families abundantly - both here and in the akhirah - with all that is good and preserve you all in good health and the highest of imaan. Ameen.
+0 -0Ameen x 2
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 25th June 2014 09:33
@Acacia, use gravatar on your site to link site to facebook, twitter and all social accounts, free and worth it.

"What's the point of doing anything if nobody's watching?"
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 25th June 2014 09:37
Quote:

"What's the point of doing anything if nobody's watching?"

Not good advice as Each man shall have what he intended. If it is for show, then theres no reward. Do everything for the sake and pleasure of Allah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 25th June 2014 09:41
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

I think 'watching' here means following, a bit like tagging a specific post, or bookmarking.
No post ratings
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 25th June 2014 10:58
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Did she anywhere say the work she is doing is on religious lines?

"Get down from the mimbar"

+0 -0Dislike x 3Optimistic x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 25th June 2014 11:06
You Said It. wrote:
View original post

Regardless of it being Islamic or not, The Hadith states: Actions are judged by intentions, so each man will have what he intended.

Also the sister mentioned that it is not for Islamic reasons per se, but to "EARN HALAL MONEY"

See here www.muftisays.com/forums/58-bugs/9058-nonms-technical-ass...

Acacia wrote:
It isn't necessarily Islamic but is in the sense that it is used to earn halaal income insha'Allah.

I was pleased with the reason sister Taalibah had pointed out, but you've just confirmed to us that she made the wrong assumption.
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 25th June 2014 13:41
JazakAllah khayran for the suggestion. Alhamdulillah, I created LinkedIn (li) and Facebook accounts linking back to the site and I'll look at some others as well. The audience I am targeting is, for the most part, a single profession.

Alhamdulillah, neither the site nor any social media links contain images of animate beings on my part; however, nearly everyone has a picture of themselves on li.

Insha'Allah, the intention is to generate halal income.
No post ratings