Block Ads, Haraam Madness and Protect Family

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 17th March 2012 14:00
I suggest everyone share this via email, tweets or simply mentions.

I was going to do a youtube video on this and upload it but thought I'll just explain in steps. I'll keep it simple.

Now while I support healthy ads to support sites, you must be aware of sites who force so much on you and other sites that are so congested with ads that sometimes it's difficult to locate the actual contents.

Purpose
Block unwanted ads
Most ads are Haraam and filthy to say the least
Block sites completely yet leave some features open

This example
Block youtube completely as most video (related) suggestions are unsuitable for children, Muslims and I'd say unsuitable for humanity

At the same time, allow embedded youtube videos for use on 100% Halaal Nasheeds section of this site or embedded videos on peoples blogs, sites etc

What you need to do

Step 1:
Install Firefox - Please for the sake of technology and common sense, install Firefox. Internet Explorer security is playground for hackers
Internet Explorer bugs are never ending
Internet Explorer cannot be configured or controlled like Firefox
Using Internet Explorer on XP or lower? Microsoft has abandoned you

Step 2:
Once you've done that, congratulations. You have just given up your AMC Gremlin and replaced it with a Ferrari

Now install Adblock Plus - 99% of ads will disappear from your life
adblockplus.org/en/

This should be enough but if you like knowing what you have in detail and wish to use it to its full potential, this page will help: adblockplus.org/en/getting_started

Once installed, you may have to restart the browser.
NOTE: When Firefox reopens, it will subscribe you to a list - this is not any email subscription or anything, it's just a list of filters to determine what is an ad and what is not. Just select EasyList and that should be sufficient

Step 3
Install BlockSite
Install Page: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blocksite/contribu...
Addon Page: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blocksite/

Once installed, restart of firefox will be required to enable it in the browser.

Step 4:
Configure BlockSite

Bring up the addons: (Menu) Tools > Addons
If the menu doesn't show up, press Alt on the keyboard

Alternatively, type in about:addons in the address bar and it'll bring up the addons window

On the left, click Extensions
Then click options

Click "Add" (on the right)
and Add the following: www.youtube.com/watch*

This will block the youtube page which has the video and all the related videos links etc. It also means you won't read the 90% filthy and useless comments on there.

However, the embedded videos should still work. Please try this, appreciate topic, leave a reply, let everyone know it helps. At home, it's a peace of mind now honestly.

Wassalam
step1_abp.jpg
Downloads: 258
    [55.91 kB] Installing AdBlock Plus
step2_bs.jpg
Downloads: 249
    [32.51 kB] Installing BlockSite
step4_config.jpg
Downloads: 430
    [25.34 kB] Configure Addon
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 17th March 2012 21:44
Alhumdulillah, may Allah reward you for all the effort you have put into creating this superb much needed thread.

I think this should be passed on to schools too. Parents should either send links or copy and paste the information and pass it to their schools and Madresa's.

This should not be just for children, adults too.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2012 00:21

Another method of blocking websites is as below. It is very easy and good. It will blocked the websites you want from all the different web browsers like google chrome firfox, internet explorer e.t.c

1)click 'Start

2) type 'C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc' in the run column. You can also access this link through explorer browsing. In the 'etc' folder, select the 'hosts' file, double click it, and open the file in notepad.

3)In the notepad file, you will view something like '127.0.0.1 localhost'. For blocking a particular site, you would need to add the number 127.0.0.2, followed by the site which is to be blocked. Note that every site you add, you need to add the last number by one. In the above case, the last number has become '2

4) Then just save it and its done.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2012 00:29
@Rumo, that method is good, but limited to the exact website you enter. For example if you put in muftisays(.)com (which I know you wouldn't do) and then for example search something on google for example 'complicated inheritance' and click the link, then it will take you to that page and not block is as it is less or more in this case than the address you put in.

Hope that helps. Will have to give Yasin's method a try. Would love to block facebook on the home computer.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2012 01:09
i have successfully blocked facebook and youtube on my computer using the method i told above.

I dont know about it being limited i shall experiment it with muftisays as you gave above and see how it goes and will let you know.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2012 01:19
The incrementation 127.0.0.1 is not required. You can add lots of host name pointing to 127.0.0.1 which points to the same computer

127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 youtube.com

It'll block both but it also means that nothing from youtube will work.

Another method is to use the home router. "Some" decent routers give Web Filtering option where you can filter by domains keywords etc. Benefit of this is that everyone connected to your network or home connection will have ads blocks.

For example, blocking "ads.*" if your filter supports wild cards will remove most ads like doubleclick, google ads etc.

I used to use this option, until firefox adblock plus came along
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2012 13:49
Gonna have to try that, as previously when I used the incrementation 127.0.0.1 it only blocked the direct link, if I tried the website with an extension it would not block...

Does adblocker only work with firefox? how about for Google chrome??
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2012 17:19
Yes Chrome also has adblock plus.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 24th September 2012 04:04
Some of the worst things to read on the internet are all on youtube. They are the comments. The internet trolls just hide behind their screens and post the most disgusting comments that does nothing and benefits no one. Almost every comments from these trolls consist of F words and worse.

Alhamdulillah I'll hopefully never have to be worried about that. I find the video comments section almost useless for 90% of videos. On the technical videos, tutorials etc you can find useful comments.

How to block youtube comments

I did this by adding the following filter to adblock plus:
www.youtube.com##div#comments-view

If i need to see the comments, I can just switch browser for that video.

Highly recommended if kids use the PC and they can read. Also recommended for good people who have better things to do than to accidentally glance at filthy comments. Try it, you won't regret it
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 24th September 2012 08:42
JazakAllah for the very useful tip admin, but where can I find adblock plus? I've searched on internet and YouTube settings but can't find it, is it on the main pc, and does it have to be done on each device I.e. phone, laptops, iPad, etc.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 24th September 2012 08:43
I'm presuming adblock needs to be downloaded and is not in the settings?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 24th September 2012 08:47
Found loads of ad blocks, which one does admin recommend?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 24th September 2012 08:48
Yasin wrote:
Yes Chrome also has adblock plus.

Ok just found the answer, jazakAllah, where there's a will there's a way, masha.Allah
+1 -0Like x 1
UK
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 24th September 2012 09:27
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 24th September 2012 23:18
Assalamu'alaykum.w.w.

On youtube right at the bottom there is a safety mode tab. You just click on/off. All the comments will be blocked until you turn safety mode off and if i remember correctly even the adds.

Wallahu A'lam
+1 -0Like x 1