Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brain by Nicholas Carrs

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 17th October 2015 23:00
Assalam o Alaikum,

Some days ago, I read this book and found it very interesting. I thought I would share it's summary so that it may be helpful for the Muslim Brothers and Sisters here in this forum...

The main theme of this book is that internet is making us dumb. Technology affects the way we think. Google has made searching things easy and thus the users have become easy going. They instead of reading books and working hard and long to find a thing have resorted to just write some text related to their topic in the search field and voila find the required information in just moments. In this case there are many things related to their topic which appear in the search results and they are tempted to open more than one tabs and multi task. Also when the users read something on a web page they are tempted to click on hyperlinks within the text or at least ponder for a second whether to click that link or not.

This makes reading difficult and because of many hyperlinks the users lose their way and waste hours and hours on the internet. They lose the real purpose of their search and thus lose the power of focus and concentration. This becomes a habit and affects their brain neurologically. Hence , when they are away from the internet this way of shifting focus quickly becomes their habit in other tasks as well.

Same is the case with cell phone use and facebook twitter which affect our concentration with frequent updates. This is one of many reasons according to me that we have less or no khushu in our salah.

I have concluded that one should use internet to listen bayans of jayyid ulema and good educational and Islamic books and shouldn't be used for casual or surface level research on a topic.. What do you guys think...?
report post quote code quick quote reply
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 19th October 2015 06:02
I think Google is just another irritation that we have to include in our overhead when it comes to reading.
Let is include and incorporate its capabilities into our repertoir and move on.
It is here to stay and hence no point in trying to control it and it is not beneficial to ignore it.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 20th October 2015 05:36
Maripat wrote:
View original post

Shouldn't we use it the way our focus remains intact and do mujahida against the temptations of easy and quick findings for our search. Internet is indeed helpful in making books available for those who can't buy and makes it possible for people to have a partial experience of an Islamic event which they can't physically attend. However, one must avoid it's negative impact and mustn't loose connection with fitrah and real life experiences like the company of ulema and mashaikh. One mustn't be fully dependent on it and instead use it as a helping tool.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 20th October 2015 06:41
I suppose we are on the same tune - if I may use the idiom.
No post ratings