Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

McDonalds - Suitable for vegetarians

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 19th January 2008 18:32

Asalaam all, Im sure you all recieved a text message or emailregarding McDonalds fries being haram, however, i looked further andthat message was from the canadian website and not the UK. So here ishow McDonald's stands in the UK. I have emailed them to find out aboutmore on the fillet o fish and will put this information up as soon as irecieve their response.

This is how they currently stand: (Taken from their website)

FRIES

McDonald'sis pleased to announce formal accreditation of its French fries fromthe Vegetarian Society. This comes after several years of working withthe Society to ensure that all restaurants across the meet theirstringent standards.

McDonald's fries are made from only thebest quality potatoes such as Russet Burbank, Shepody and PentlandDell. They are cooked in non-hydrogenated oil (a blend of sunflower andrapeseed), which has been carefully developed without increasingsaturated fat levels or changing the taste.

The Society accreditation gives vegetarians full confidence that there is no possibility of oil used to cook meat in the restaurant mixing with the fries.
Response from Jane O'Leary, Corporate Relations Manager, Vegetarian Society
"McDonald'sFrench fries now carry The Vegetarian Society Seedling SymbolTrademark. This means that not only are they vegetarian but they alsomeet our standards to ensure there is no cross contamination with nonvegetarian items."

FILLET O FISH

TheFilet-o-Fish is freshly cooked in a new non-hydrogenated blend ofsunflower and rapeseed oil in a separate fryer. When it comes tofiltering oil, McDonald's has two different types of filteringprocesses - although the company does not maintain a central record of the processes used in each restaurant.One process is self-filtering where oil will not be mixed from onefryer to another. The second filtering process uses the same unitacross all fryers but the fryers are filtered in a specific order. Sothe French Fries fryer is filtered first, followed by the Veggie Deluxefryer, the Apple Pies fryer, the chicken fryer and then theFilet-o-Fish fryer. The machine is thoroughly cleaned after everyfiltering session.

MILKSHAKES

Youwill be happy to know that the Strawberry Milkshakes are suitable forvegetarians. McDonald's apologises for the incorrect information on thewebsite. The ingredients list will be updated soon. (September 2007)

McDonald's does not classify any of their Menu items as Halal.However, all the Milkshakes are suitable for vegetarians. This isbecause McDonald's no longer uses E120 cochineal as a colouring in theStrawberry Milkshakes. The new colouring is a beetroot juiceconcentrate (E162) which is a natural extract of beetroot.

APPLE PIES

Yes,the Apple Pies are suitable for vegetarians. With regard to the cookingprocess, the Apple Pies are cooked in a new non-hydrogenated blend ofsunflower and rapeseed oil in separate cooking fryers. (August 2007)

Althoughi have done my reasearch i would still advise all people to take carein consuming foods from such places; they themselves clarify that theydo not class themselves as halal, merely suitable for vegetarians nordo they maintain central records of each branch of the filteringprocess - so please do ask your local individual stores, as theirinformation / ingredients can change at any given time. If you stillfeel in doubt then do refrain.

I hope this message has helped and clarified a few things.

Wasalaam

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 19th January 2008 20:54
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2008 11:17
No post ratings
Rank Image
World Of Allah
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2017 19:53
A series of emails to and from McDees. (Not me)

Sent from my Windows Phone
Sent: 10/4/2012 3:06 PM
Subject: Can we Eat McDonald's?????

www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/qa.html

Are the McDonald's Fries, Thick Shakes, and McFlurry all suitable for vegetarians?

Hi. I'm a little confused. I live in the UK and am a vegetarian. Are the McDonalds Fries and Thick Shakes and all McFlurrys, including the fillings suitable for vegetarians, please? Also what are suitable in other countries, especially USA? Many Thanks for your advice

Email

Thanks for your question. McDonald's UK French Fries are made using Russet Burbank, Pentland Dell, Innovator and Shepody potatoes, which are chosen for their quality, taste and long shape when cut. The fries are not coated in any fats or substance from an animal. Once at the restaurant our fries are simply cooked in dedicated frying vats in a non-hydrogenated blend of sunflower and rapeseed oil which is 100 percent suitable for vegetarians. McDonald's UK French Fries are officially accredited by the Vegetarian Society. McDonald's Milkshakes are suitable for vegetarians and have been approved by the Vegetarian Society.

The Crunchie and Dairy Milk McFlurry desserts are suitable for vegetarians. The Smartie McFlurry is not suitable. Although the ice cream contains no ingredients of animal origin the Smarties contain whey powder which the supplier cannot guarantee is free from animal rennet. The vegetarian status of all our standard menu items can be found on the reverse of the trayliner in the restaurants. Ingredient declarations along with comprehensive nutritional breakdowns for all McDonald's items are available online at www.mcdonalds.co.uk. This website has been set up specifically to answer questions relating to McDonald's in the UK. If you would like to find information about McDonald's in any other country please see the website www.mcdonalds.com.

Is your cheese suitable in your Filet o Fish suitable for vegetarians?

is the cheese you put in your fillet fish burger or any fish burger vegatarian as i want to know is your cheese vegetarian also can you make an area where it has a list of everything vegatarian?

Email

Thank you for your question. We are pleased to inform you that the cheese used in our Filet-o-Fish is indeed suitable for vegetarians. You may be interested to note, however, that although the Filet-o-Fish patty is fried in the restaurants in non-hydrogenated vegetable oil, this oil could come into contact with oil that has been used to fry our chicken products. This can occur during the filtration process for the oil. Every effort is made during oil filtration to keep the oils separate but we cannot guarantee that cross contamination will not occur. A full list of all Vegetarian Society approved products can be found on their website and this is regularly updated when new options become available

How are your meat products cooked and are they cooked in the same oil?

Hello, I have recently found out there is a chance of cross-contamination with the Fillet-O-Fish and the other meats due to the design of the oil filtration system. So is this the same with the other meats; are the burgers and pork e.g. bacon cooked in the same oil? And is the chicken also cooked with the other meats such as the beef and pork? I apologise for asking many questions, Please get back to me with the all answers as I would really like to know for future reference. Many thanks.

Email

The fish in the Filet-O-Fish is cooked in a dedicated fish vat.

We filter the cooking oil in the vat to keep it in good condition. During this filtering process there is a possibility that tiny traces of oil used to cook other products such as coated chicken may come into contact with the oil used to cook fish products. Beef and pork are not cooked in the vats.

For vegetarians our Spicy Veggie Wrap and Spicy Veggie Sandwich are fully approved by the Vegetarian Society.

Why are your onion rings not vegetarian?

Email

Thanks for your question. The Onion Rings are cooked in dedicated vats using a non hydrogenated blend of rapeseed and sunflower oil (which is suitable for vegetarians). However, due to the design of the oil filtration system there is a small chance that the oil used to fry Onion Rings can come into contact with tiny traces of the oil used to cook chicken and fish products during the oil filtering process. We therefore cannot guarantee cross-contamination will not occur.

Are McDonald's Milkshakes made with pork fat?
i have heard that mc donalds milk shake is made out of pork fat, is this true?

Email

No McDonald's Milkshakes do not contain pork fat. There is no meat based products in McDonald's milkshakes. 'Animal fat' is a term used to describe fats derived from meat products, none of which is included in McDonald's milkshakes, making them suitable for vegetarians. Each McDonald's milkshake will have slightly different ingredients depending on its flavour, but all milkshakes are made up of a base of around 75 percent milk, which comes from cows across the British Isles.

The rest of the ingredients for the base before any flavouring is added are: Milk, skimmed milk, cream, sugar, skimmed milk powder, and glucose. Stabilisers: E412 guar gum, E452 sodium phosphate, E407 carrageenan, E466 carboxymethylcellulose and vanilla flavour. If you would like to find out more about the ingredients of other McDonald's products, please go to the ‘Food' section that is at www.mcdonalds.co.uk.

Does the Ice cream contain any type of alcohol or non-vegetarian fats?

Hi. I just want to know if your ice creams contains any type of alcohol or non vegetarian fats?

Email

Thank you for your question. The ice cream sold in McDonald's UK does not contain any alcohol and does not contain any non vegetarian fats.

It is also approved as vegetarian by the Vegetarian Society. You can find the ingredient declarations for all our menu items by visiting the Food pages of our website www.mcdonalds.co.uk and selecting Nutrition & Ingredients.

What are the ingredients of you Filet-O-Fish and does it contains any non-vegetarian mixes?
While I understand that McDonalnds is a non-Halal restaurant, your Fillet o Fish is a very popular choice amongst your Muslim customers. Just to clarify, can you please confirm what is Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, MonoandDiglycerides of Fatty Acids and if it contains any non-vegetarian mixes? I would appreciate an answer asap.

Email

Thank you for your question. The emulsifiers Mono and Di-acetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono and Di-glycerides of Fatty Acids and Mono and Di-glycerides of Fatty Acids are used in the bun to improve texture and structure. They are both suitable for vegetarians. Although the Filet-o-Fish patty is fried in the restaurants in non-hydrogenated vegetable oil this oil could come into contact with oil that has been used to fry our chicken products. This can occur during the filtration process for the oil. Every effort is made during oil filtration to keep the oils separate but we cannot guarantee that cross contamination will not occur.

Are the Fries and Filet-O-Fish Halal?

Hi, as a muslim i was wondering whether your fries and filet-o-fish meals are halal? Thanks

Email

Thanks for your question. None of our food is certified as Halal. Our Fries are certified as Vegetarian. Our Filet-o-Fish patty is cooked separately from meat items. However, due to the design of the oil filtration system there is a small chance the oil used to cook these patties can become in contact with oil used to cook meat products during the oil filtering process. We therefore cannot guarantee cross-contamination will not occur, but have taken measures to minimise the amount of any cross-contamination.

Do McDonald's Fries contain any beef products?

Hi I have found the information below on THE VEGETARIAN RESOURCE GROUP website. Please confirm if that is true: "Are McDonald's fries made with beef? In February 1997, McDonald's informed us by telephone that the natural flavor in their French fries is a "beef product." At that time, they declined to send us this information in writing. In July 1997, McDonald's sent us a fax stating that "[t]he natural flavor used in French fries is from an animal source."

Email

Thank you for your question. McDonald's UK French Fries are made by McCain's using Russet Burbank, Pentland Dell and Shepody potatoes, which are chosen for their quality, taste and long shape when cut.

The fries are not coated in any fats or substance from an animal. Once at the restaurant our fries are simply cooked in dedicated frying vats in a non-hydrogenated blend of sunflower and rapeseed oil which is 100 percent suitable for vegetarians. McDonald's French Fries are officially accredited by the Vegetarian Society.

From 2012.
No post ratings
Rank Image
World Of Allah
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2017 20:01
Nothing changed in 2017

Dear

Thank you for your email regarding McDonald’s cooking procedures.

All of our products are cooked separately, beef patties are cooked on a griddle and our Filet, French Fries, Apple Pies and vegetable patties are cooked in vegetable oil using dedicated cooking vats. These vats are exclusively for the purpose of cooking a specific product and that product alone.

Due to the order of rotation during the filtering of the vats, there is a possibility the 100% vegetable oil used to cook the Filet may come into contact with the 100% vegetable oil used to cook the chicken products. Whilst every possible precaution is taken in order to prevent cross contamination during this filtering process, we cannot categorically state this would never occur.

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that our French Fries and Vegetable Deluxe have both been approved by the Vegetarian Society.

I hope that I have been able to reassure you of McDonald's cooking procedures, attention to detail and unequivocal dedication to offering only the highest quality products to our customers, at all times.

Finally, thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us on this subject.

Regards

Natasha Callis
Customer Services Team

McDonald's Customer Services Department
11 - 59 High Road
East Finchley
London
N2 8AW

Tel: 03705 244622

January 2017
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 31st July 2017 14:36

Disclaimer:

I DO NOT advocate eating my McDonalds and neither do I eat there, even if it becomes HMC certified.

Personal Record:

February 27, 2017: I had fries and Pepsi at 04:30 in the Night at Southall. Before that, I cannot recall in the past 20 years.

Now to my point:

www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/f...

Although none of McDonald's products carry Halal certification, all are cooked separately; beef patties are cooked on a griddle and our File-o-Fish, Apple Pies, Chicken products and vegetable patty are cooked in 100% vegetable oil using dedicated cooking vats

www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/f...

Yes, our Fries in the UK are suitable for vegetarians. The product and the cooking method have been checked by the Vegetarian Society and they have approved them as suitable for vegetarians. They are cooked in oil that is separate to the oil used for meat products and filtered on a separate system.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Spinistan Throne
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 31st July 2017 18:32
This post has been reported. It could be due to breaking rules or something as simple as bad use of bbcodes which breaks the page format. We will attend to this soon.
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Yellow' written in?