HFA CLARIFICATION ABOUT KFC TO WIFAQUL ULAMA
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh Brother Hasan,
Please double check this information and confirm my understanding as discussed on the phone.
1. KFC Halal Trial does not use Mechanical Slaughter.
2. KFC Halal Trial uses Reverisble stunning, please confirm voltage? The animal is alive at the stunning and it is checked and ensured.
3. The slaughterhouse has Muslim Supervisors and Muslim Slaughtermen.
4. The Halal supplies have a specific barcode and are trackable
5. When the supplies reach the store, the (KFC) employees check the right labels and barcodes
6. HFA then inspect each KFC (Halal) store regularly to make sure that the supply comes from the (HFA certified) slaughterhouse
7. KFC Halal outlets do not mix Halal Chicken and Non Halal Chicken.
8. HFA also inspect Non-Meat products in the store
WIFAQUL ULAMA ADMINISTRATOR
I hope you are well. I am sorry for the late response as we receive an enormously high amount of emails and try our best to reply as quickly as possible, however delays can occur.
Anyway, the reply to your points is as follows:
1. The HFA DOES NOT certify machine slaughter.
2. Chicken is reversibly stunned using the electric water bath method. The current would not exceed 205mA and minimum frequency will be 1000hz. The stunner is calibrated and thoroughly checked by muslim supervisor.
3. Birds will ONLY be slaughtered by a muslim slaughterman while reciting the Tasmiyah/Shahada and the entire operation will be overlooked by a muslim supervisor.
4. KFC has a comprehensive system in place where halal store will only receive halal stock approved by the HFA. Each item is traceable.
5. KFC employees go through an internal halal training program before they are signed off to work in a halal KFC store. Staff uses the appropriate documents to aid them in the delivery process. More over the supplier has controls in place to deliver the correct stock to the halal store.
6. HFA inspects each halal store on the regular basis to ensure every product (chicken and non-chicken) is coming from HFA approved sources.
7. The above-mentioned points ensure there is no mixing of halal and non-halal chickens at store and supplier level. A halal KFC store will ONLY serve halal chicken and halal non-chicken products. No non-halal product is allowed to enter the store.
8. Point answered in above-mentioned points.
Should you have any further questions/discussion, please do not hesitate to contact me
3rd of April 2017