Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open
 
Top Members

Following a Madhab in Islam

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Thread Tools
Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, abu mohammed, the fake shaykh
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
abu mohammed's avatar
London
23,320
Brother
9,875
abu mohammed's avatar
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd December 2011 15:43

EDIT: I have just been informed that I should not be promoting the named Shaykh for reasons beyond me, and I do not wish to discuss them here either. His account is with Allah alone.

 

Shaykh Ibrahim Memon (from Darul Uloom Buffalo - http://www.madania.org, http://www.ibadurrahman.com) explains some points about following a madhab (school of thought) in Islam, in a very beneficial and excellent Q&A session. Several of the common questions we ask and the issues arising today are addressed. To list a few main points:

Why do some muslims now say that following a madhab is something new?

Why do we follow a madhab in Islam?

Did the great Muslim scholars of the past follow one?

Can some one today claim the scholars of the past made a mistake in their rulings?

What if mistakes were made by them in the past? Would they continue till today?

Can we pick and choose from rulings of the different madhabs?

What those living in the west, where a multitude of people, customs, practices and the four madhabs exist?

How should one then seek out a ruling so as to get a sound opinion and avoid the confusion of a multitude of opinions?

Can we just decipher the rulings from the Quran and Hadith ourselves?

Can all of the madhabs rulings be valid, though they differ?

Why isn't following the Imams like following forefathers of our past as practice by the arabs before Islam?

What about those who say "I follow Prophet" (i.e. not a madhab)?

What about those who say "I want to follow a practice according to the hadiths"? (Hajj is given in the example.)

Could some Imams have had stronger or more authentic opinions due to more sources, their coming later in time etc?

"Synergistik" wrote:
I encourage every one to listen to this Q&A in full. Inshallah, it will be of benefit for further understanding and clarification.


Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Part 3, he says that if you get to the position that if you have mastered the Madhahib and derive your own rulings and do your own ijtihad, then thats fine and its up to you. But an important point to note is that whoever does this is for him self only. If other Muslims adopt these new changes and findings, then they would be doing Taqleed of a self declared Mujtahid of the 21st century. It is safer to follow the school as they have been for the last 1200 years.

Part 4 mentions a little something about taking Hadith literally and how this can go against Quran. A narrator of Hadith can NOT make rulings. You MUST be a FAQIH to be able to make rulings. A faqih is a Muhaddith but a Muhaddith is not a Faqih.

Part 5, great example of asking someone where they look during Salah; answer, in place of Sujood. So if thats the case, we say it is in our Hanafi Madhab that we must look there, so if you claim to follow only Quran and Hadith, then show me a Hadith that you should look down in the position of Sujood. The Madhabs have made it easy to follow the Quran and Sunnah, because thats where they got their rulings from.

report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
rizmalek's avatar
Offline
Qatar, Doha
443
Brother
325
rizmalek's avatar
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2011 10:44
report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
Muadh_Khan's avatar
Offline
UK
11,537
Brother
-10,135
Muadh_Khan's avatar
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2011 12:11
report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
Muadh_Khan's avatar
Offline
UK
11,537
Brother
-10,135
Muadh_Khan's avatar
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 28th January 2014 10:06

Shaykh Al-Fawzaan wrote:



وها هم الأئمة من المحدثين الكبار كانوا مذهبيين، فشيخ الإسلام ابن تيمية وابن القيم كانا حنبليين، والإمام النووي وابن حجر كانا شافعيين، والإمام الطحاوي كان حنفيا، والإمام ابن عبد البر كان مالكيا. ليس التمذهب بأحد المذاهب الأربعة ضلالا حتى يعاب به صاحبه، ولا نقصا في العلم. بل إن الذي يخرج عن أقوال الفقهاء المعتبرين وهو غير مؤهل للاجتهاد المطلق هو الذي يعتبر ضالا وشاذا

 

“And here you have the imaams from the great scholars of hadeeth who used to follow a madh-hab. Shaykhul-Islaam ibn Taymiyyah and ibn al-Qayyim were Hanbalees, imaam an-Nawawi and ibn Hajr were Shaafi'ees, imaam at-Tahaawi was a Hanafi, and imaam ibn 'Abdul-Bar was a Maaliki. Following a madh-hab from one of the four madhaahib is not a misguidance whereby some can be critcised for following it. Nor does it mean that a person lacks knowledge. In fact the one who goes outside of the realm of the statements of well qualified fuqahaa and he is unqualified to make ijtihaad, he is the one who is considered misguided and on the fringe.”

Source: Sunniforum

report post quote code quick quote reply
+4 -0Like x 2Winner x 2
back to top
Rank Image
Jinn's avatar
Unspecified
2,891
Brother
259
Jinn's avatar
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2014 07:29
Just got this in a text ::

Quote:
Alhamdulillah, Shaykh Abdul Raheem hafidhahullah mentioned some beautiful points in last Saturday's (29/03/2014) speech on:

Following The Footsteps of Our Pious Predecessors

I request all our respected friends to take a few moments to read and share with all.

--------------

Shaykh started with mentioning some virtues of Durood Shareef.

"It is the haq of Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam that whenever the name of Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam is mentioned, we send durood and salam to Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam. A person who remains silent upon his mention is classed as a bakheel (miser). As long as we send durood to Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam, the angels continue to send blesings on us."

Thereafter Shaykh said:

Who are the pious predecessors? They are those who came before us; from today's date to Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam's era. We should not restrict the title "Salaf" to a few names.

They had all held onto the Quran and put Quran before them. They read, learnt, practiced and propagated the Quran. They also held firmly to the Sunnah. We should also practice upon all the Sunnah. Make a habit of asking if something is Sunnah, not whether it's jaaiz (permissible).

Example: Hadhrat Shibly rahimahullah on his death bed indicated to doing khilaal during wudhu as the khaadim missed it and after not realising Hadhrat himself took the khaadim's hand and did His own khilaal. Hadhrat passed away during the khilaal of the beard while the khaadim's hand was still in Hadhrat's beard. Subhanallah!! Even during the great pains of death, Hadhrat did not miss the Sunnah of Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam.

Example: Hadhrat Mawlana Ilyas rahimahullah was severly ill. His socks needed to be removed and indicated this to his khaadim. The khadim attempted to remove the right sock first and Hadhrat shook his foot in denial. The khadim could not understand. He again attempted to do the same and got the same reaction from Hadhrat. Finally Hadhrat's son was called and he explained it's because you are trying to remove the right one first which is against the Sunnah. Then they took off the left sock first.

The Salaf were successful because they used to practice upon the Sunnah due to it being a Sunnah. We are failing because we leave sunnah, thinking it's only Sunnah.

Their knowledge was deep and profound. When Allah swt wishes well for a person, He grants them Hikmah (ie. wisdom and understanding of Deen).

The superiority of an 'Alim (scholar) over an 'Abid (worshipper who has the basic knowledge of deen) is like the superiority of the full moon over the stars or like the virtue of Rasulullah sallallahu alayhu wasallam over a Sahabi radiyallahu anhu.

Allah swt and Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam have ordered us to obey and respect the Ulama. Quran says: "O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey His Messenger, as well as those charged with authority among you." (04:59)

One Hadith says: "And obey those with authority among you". The Hadith of "Ad-Deen An-Naseehah" includes "leaders of Muslims". Imam Nawawi rahimahullah and commentators say 'Leaders' includes the Ulema and the Mujtahideen".

Thereafter, Shaykh mentioned some of the great scholars of the past. He said regarding Hadhrat Imam Abu Hanifa rahimahullah that due to his piety, he prayed the Isha Salaah and Fajr Salaah with the same wudhu for 40 years (ie. He busied himself in worship throughout the night). Khateeb Baghdadi has narrated this from 5 different narrators.

Shaykh also explained that daleel is not restricted to Hadith. There are various forms of deducing masaa'il. Mainly Quran, Hadith, Ijmaa (concensus), Qiyaas (analogy), Urf (Common Knowledge) and istihsaan, to name a few. In fact most of the masaa'il of deen are derived through Qiyaas (analogy). Imam Bukhaari rahmatullahi alayh uses Qiyaas in his Sahih in numerous chapters. The Hadith of Muaaz indicates towards Ijtihad.

Shaykh went on to say that majority of the salafs followed a madhab although they were great legends themselves. For example:

Hanafi: Abu Yusuf, Muhammad bin Hasan, Hafs ibn Ghiyaas, Bishe Ibnul Waleed, wakeel Ibnul Jarraah, Sufyaan Ibn Uyaynah, Badrud-deen Al-'Ayni and many of the recent Muhadditheen liks shaykh Zakariyyah Khandhelvi, Shaykh Khalil Ahmad Saharanpuri, Shaykh Rashid Ahmad Gangohi etc. Rahmatullahi alayhim.

Shafiee: Imam Muzani, Al-Buwayti, Rabee Ibn Sulayman, Yunus Ibn Abdil 'Aalaa, Imam Muslim, Ibn Kuzaymah, Muhammad Ibn Nasr Al Marwazi, al-Mawardi, an-Nawawi, Hafidh ibn-Hajar etc. Rahmatullahi alayhim.

Maaliki: Ibn Qasim, Ash-Hab, Yahya ibn Yahya Al-Masmoodi, Suhnoon, Esa ibn Dinaar, Ibn Abdil Barr, Qazi Abu Bakr Ibn al-Arabi, Qazi Iyadh etc. Rahmatullahi alayhim.

Hanbali: Ibrahim Al-Harbi, Al-Khallal, Al-Khiraqi, Imam Abu Dawood, Ibn Taymiyah, Ibnul Qayyim, Muhammad Bin Abdul Wahaab Najdi, Abdul Aziz Ibnul baaz etc. Rahmatullahi alayhim.

Shaykh then quoted Ibn Rajab rahimahullah who says:

"It is wajib in this day and age to follow a madhab."

And thereafter mentioned that 99% of the Ummah follows a madhab.

Moving on, Shaykh explained to us why we only follow one of the four Imams and not the other Imams of the time such as Hadhrat Sufyan Thawri rahimahullah.

Hadhrat Shaykh Zakariyyah rahimahullah gives the example of a father who has 10 sons and during his lifetime 6 pass away and so only four remain who receive the inheritence. In the same way, after a few centuries, the research of the other great scholars faded away, while those who adhered to these 4 schools of thought elaborated them, established them, and expanded them. So the ummah collectively accepted their research.

Ibn Rajab rahimahullah has said that the establishment of the 4 madhaahib was a blessing of Allah upon the Ummah. Had this not happened, our Ummah would have become similar to the people of the books before us. I.e. Everyone following their own thinking and then corrupting the religion.

Shaykh thereafter mentioned an important point:

"Allah swt will take away knowledge from the world by taking away the Ulama. If people continue to learn, practice and propagate the knowlege they have, then Allah swt will keep it mahfooz (protected)."

Shaykh thereafter gave a humble request to all, that a person should adhere to one madhab; The madhab of the Ulama in your area, So if questions arise, you can refer to them.

Shaykh ended the speech by answering the question:

Why do I have to follow a madhab?

He replied: "For Two reasons: One, It's easy. Because you don't have to do your own research, it's already done, and ready on the plate for you, like the biryani which is cooked for you; you don't need to enquire about the ingredients.

Secondly, It's safer. If a person doesn't have the necessary tools and he does something, he is bound to make a mess of it.

Imam Ghazali says "If someone does not know how to swim and jumps in the ocean, he is bound to drown."

Similarly, a person who is not a hafiz, nor a qualified scholar, nor does he understand Arabic language, he doesn't know all the sciences of tafseer, Hadith, fiqh, their usool etc and he attempts to take masaail on his own will definitely make a mess of his Deen. He will go astray and lead others astray. And on top of that he will face severe questioning on the day of judgement.

Don't listen to such scholars who themselves abandon taqleed and confuse others by criticising the mashaaikh and akaabir who follow a madh'hab. It is the mashaaikh whom Allah swt favoured along with the Prophets alayhimus salaam, the siddiqeen, the shuhadaa and the saliheen. We pray for guidance upon their path 5 times a day.

May Allah give us correct and complete understanding of our Deen and the ability to practice properly. Ameen
report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
Muadh_Khan's avatar
Offline
UK
11,537
Brother
-10,135
Muadh_Khan's avatar
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2014 09:57

Jinn wrote:
View original post

Masha'Allah however there is a technical error here. Hazrat Shaykh Abdul Raheem (HA) has started out

Who are the pious predecessors? They are those who came before us; from today's date to Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam's era. We should not restrict the title "Salaf" to a few names.

However vast majority of names which he has mentioned are not "Salaf" at all e.g. Shibli (RA), Hadhrat Mawlana Ilyas (RA), Imam Nawawi (RA), Badr al-Din al-'Ayni (RA) , Hafidh ibn-Hajar (RA) , Ibn 'Abd al-Barr (RA)...Giant of knowledge but not Salaf

Madkhalees also try to portray Shaykhul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (RA) as Salaf; which he isn't!

Please feel free to copy/paste it back to whoever sent you and tolerate the abuse and you will be rewarded, Insha'Allah. That's because you are not saying anything wrong.

report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
Jinn's avatar
Unspecified
2,891
Brother
259
Jinn's avatar
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2014 10:05
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post


جزاك الله خيرا akhii

Consider it done
report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
abu mohammed's avatar
London
23,320
Brother
9,875
abu mohammed's avatar
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2014 10:09
Its gonna bounce back on you!

Technically, Salaf just means the ones who are no longer with us, i.e. Dead.

The ones we look upto and take our deen from are the "Khairul Quroon"


My grand father has passed away, so he is also my Salaf right?


But I know exactly what Muadh means :)
report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
Jinn's avatar
Unspecified
2,891
Brother
259
Jinn's avatar
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2014 10:14
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post


No he will be in the category of Buzurgs, Hadhrat's Insha'Ala

:p


I know what you mean akhi and I can see where bro Muadh is coming from too
report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
Muadh_Khan's avatar
Offline
UK
11,537
Brother
-10,135
Muadh_Khan's avatar
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2014 10:16

abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

No Salaf doesn't mean that at all that's the trick Madkhalees been trying to pull

Salaf means the 1st three generations specifically and LOCKED:

  1. Generation of Nabi (Salallaho Alaihe Wassallam)
  2. Taba'een (RA)
  3. Taba Taba'een (RA)

Imam Nawawi (RA) is a great Scholar, a Master of Hadeeth but he isn't "Salaf"

Imam Ghazali (RA) is a great Scholar, a Master of Tassawuff (Tazkiyah) but he isn't "Salaf"

Shaykhul-Hadeeth Maulana Zakariyya (RA) is a great Scholar, a Master of Hadeeth but he isn't "Salaf"

Deoband has produced great Scholars but they aren't "Salaf"

If you include all of the above amongst Salaf then Madkhalees been right all along.

There is a reason why I am insisting on this and here it is:

  • Imam Al-Adham Abu Haneefa (RA) is AGREED UPON Salaf (no disagreement in the history of Islam on it)
  • So if (as Muslims) are supposed to follow Salaf then its GAME OVER for every Madhab rejector argument because Hanafees are 110% following Salaf

:P

report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top
Rank Image
abu mohammed's avatar
London
23,320
Brother
9,875
abu mohammed's avatar
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 4th April 2014 12:15
Here is Shaykh Uthaymeens (rh) verdict (partially)

Shaykh Uthaymeen wrote:

The meaning of the [word] Salaf is (Al-Mutaqaddimoon) the predecessors so every person that precedes another is a salaf for him but when this term is used unrestrictedly then it only refers to the first three praised generations from the companions (as-Sahaabah) and those that followed them (at-Taabi'oon) and those that followed them [Atba' at-Taabyi'een]. They indeed are the pious predecessors (as-Salaf as-Saaleh). Whoever came after them and traversed upon their way (Minhaaj) then he is like them upon the way of the Salaf; even though he may have come after them with regards to time because as-Salafiyyah is a designation which applies to the way (Minhaaj)) which was traversed by the pious predecessors (as-Salaf as-Saaleh)


So we all are in agreement, and as brother Muadh says "Madkhalis" have hijacked this word BIG TIME!


HOWEVER, According to ANY definition, Imam Abu Hanifa IS from the Salaf AND Khairul Quroon. So Alhumdulillah, we are in a win win situation.

:)
report post quote code quick quote reply
back to top