Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, abuzayd2k
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 05:23
السلام عليكم

I am trying to understand this for a while and appreciate any referenced answers.
There are things that are sinful in one madhhab but not in another.
As a lay person, I find that very unsettling and rather confusing.

E.g. You do not pray sunnah of dhuhr - sinful in Hanafi.
In another madhhab - you can choose to not pray Sunnah of dhuhr all your life, and yet you are not sinful.

Now... hypothetically, lets say we find out on the day of judgement that the correct ruling according to Rabbul 'alameen is that it is indeed sinful.

So those laymen who followed the Hanafi school are on the hook with sin because they left it out while believing that they should have done it as per their madhhab.

In contrast, those laymen from another school who didn't pray the sunnah of dhuhr at all, are free of sins because they didn't consider it to be a sin to begin with as they followed the ijtihad of their madhhab.

You might say, "Do what your madhhab says. If you are hanafi, you do it. If you are shafi'i, you don't have to do it. Just don't follow your nafs."

I get it. I understand the one of the biggest plus of following madhhab is that you resist your nafs.

My question is more about the effort.

A Hanafi prayers dhuhr sunnah for 10 years and doesn't pray dhuhr sunnah for 20 years. He's got sin of 20 years for not praying sunnah Muakkadah. Despite him praying 10 years, he's still in net negative overall.

While a Shafi'i does not pray dhuhr sunnah at all for 30 years and yet he has no sin because of the ijtihad he followed. He has made no effort in praying it all for all of his life and also has no sin.

It just seems a bit unfair to be honest. Can someone explain this to me?

السلام عليكم
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 06:26
Let's say there are two companies A and B. They make rules that their employees are bound by. These company rules are in line with the laws of the land.

Company A allows flexi timings and company B doesn't.

A person works at company B and yet works on flexi timings. If company B initiates disciplinary action against this person, and the matter goes to court, this person would still face action because he broke a rule he chose to bind himself to, of his own free will, when he signed up to work for company B.

I hope that makes some sense.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
India
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 07:14
I follow Hanafi Madhab, I look for rulings in Madhab and follow that... done.

I never in my life had looked into rulings in other madhabs, even though I know many brothers who follow the shafaee madhab, I pray side by side these shafaee brothers.

This makes life easy for me and I need not find solution for problem our OP has.

Since OP has a problem; now he himself has to look for solutions.

One step further.. Shuyookh say, if we read the shariah of earlier prophets from Adam AS to Eisa AS, there is conflict. Marriage between brothers and sisters was allowed in shariah of Adam AS. Vow.... I created more headache, self made, now I have to look for solution.

Peace prevailed in my life till I restricted myself to understanding the shariah of Hazrath Mohammed SAS.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 07:24
Quote:
because he broke a rule he chose to bind himself to

That's not the reality though.
It's probably fair to say that majority of the people have not actively "chosen" to be with a particular madhhab over another.
So that comparison doesn't quite work.

Rather the situation is more like this:
Grandma A was born into a Hanafi family. She prayed some dhuhr sunnah and didn't pray some dhuhr sunnah. She is sinful.
Grandma B was born into a Shafi'i family. She didn't pray any dhuhr sunnah at all in her life. She is not sinful.

Neither of the grandmas "chose" their madhhab. They were born into it.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 07:26
ssaad wrote:
View original post

Appreciate your reply but it feels like you have missed the essence of the question in the original post.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 07:45
طالب wrote:
View original post

Is the hanafi grandma missing dhuhr sunnah on purpose knowing that it's sinful?
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 08:09
abuzayd2k wrote:
View original post

Yes, Grandma A knows that it's sinful to leave out the dhuhr sunnah. Despite knowing, she has prayed sometimes, and left out sometimes (due laziness, etc).
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 08:17
I thought it's not sinful to leave Sunnah mu'akkadah once in a while, it's only sinful if you make it a habit.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
India
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 08:27
طالب wrote:
View original post

This is for those who look for guidance from Sahabah:

This is quoted by Shuyookh: summarized:

It is quoted in sunan Kubra by Imam Bayhaqi RA that;

It is narrated from Hazrath Anas Radiallahu anhu:

“We the companions of prophets, while travelling, a group used to fast, others didn’t fast.

A group used to offer whole salah (4 rakat) others offered Qasr (2 rakat).

Although they differed with other group, they didn’t find defect in others”.
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 09:09
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 09:15
طالب wrote:
View original post

If she's leaving it out willfully and she knows she's being sinful, then aren't we all going to be judged individually independent of what anyone else may or may not have done?

Meaning, won't grandma A be judged only on her own actions and not on what grandma B did or didn't do?
+1 -0Like x 1
UK
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 09:34
طالب wrote:
View original post

It works in both directions. In your example, the one who missed 10 years also prayed 10 years giving extra 10 years of reward over the one that didn't have to.

At the same time, this is just one single ruling, overall there's a balance as there's plenty of rulings that are lenient in Hanafi Madhab and strict in others.

It's unfair to call it unfair based on a single ruling.
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
India
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 10:20
If a similar doubt in OP arises in a person who is cool and likes to get clarified, of course if he is not here to debate then the following urdu message will satisfy him.

Insha Allah I will try to summarize it in my next post.

I will appreciate if some one on this forum translates the following urdu quote, I feel it benefit us.

9829-aimma mein ikhtelaf debate.jpg
Downloads: 79
    [116.92 kB]
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
India
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 11:59
This may help us when are in a similar situation:

This is part of lengthy discussion between a La-Madhabi (madhab rejector) and a Shaykh.

La Madhabi asks:
There are differences among mujtahid Imams in rulings; Halal and Haram, Valid and invalid. To declare both are right is foolish.

Shaykh Replied:
These sub-issues are present in Ahadith; among Sahabah; there are different Qirats of Quran; even the Madhab rejectors have differences.

Muhadditeen differ in classifying a hadith as Saheeh and Dhaeef.
There are differences in Tafseer of many ayahs of Quran. So will they all be abandoned.

We know, Our contrymen all are Ahnaf. For 1200 years it was never an issue, you are accountable for this sin, we Ahnaf are not responsible for the chaos.

Summary of a hadith:

On the day of Al-Ahzab (i.e. Clans) the Prophet said, "None of you Muslims) should offer the 'Asr prayer but at Banu Quraiza's place."

The 'Asr prayer became due for some of them on the way. while some others said, "No, we will pray at this spot, for the Prophet did not mean that for us." (It is a general rule from Ayah from Quran: Verily, for all believers prayer is indeed a sacred duty linked to particular times [of day].)

Some of those said, "We will not offer it till we reach it, the place of Banu Quraiza," (the general rule from quran is excluded here)

Later on It was mentioned to the Prophet and he did not berate any of the two groups.

Note: If today’s 21st century laa-madhabi group were present at that time they would declared one group as Quran Rejector and other group as Hadith Rejector. They would have said; see...Such a wide difference that:
One says "offer Salah within its time"
And other says "Intentionally miss the Salah and offer it later".
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 17th September 2020 14:54
Interesting. I would just like to point out that this query does not have to be restricted to differences between madhabs. It can also be asked in relation to intra-madhab differences. For e.g. growing up as hanafis we were taught hair has to be cut at even lengths, therefore fade haircuts were haram. Many of us still had such haircuts and had to hide them from Ustadh with topis. Nowadays the fatwas from reputable hanafi sources allow fade haircuts. So people nowadays can have such haircuts guilt free.
So your query can also be applied to this situtation.
+1 -0