Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 1st November 2011 09:37
Allow Your Knees To First Touch The Ground Followed By The Hands

Sayyiduna Wail Ibn Hujr رضي الله عنه, 'I saw Rasulullah صلي الله عليه وسلم place his knees (on the ground) before his hands when he would prostrate, and lift up his hands before his knees when rising.'[2]

Khattabi, [3] Tibi, Ibn al Mundhir, [4] and Ibn Sayyid al Naas al Ya'muri have all declared the above hadeeth of Sayyiduna Wail Ibn Hujr رضي الله عنه as more established and authentic than the hadeeth of Sayyiduna Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه on the same subject.

This hadeeth is supported by the following narrations:

Sayyiduna Anas رضي الله عنه says, 'I saw Rasulullah صلي الله عليه وسلم say the takbeer and place his thumbs close to his ears. He bowed down into ruku' until each of his joints became motionless, and then descended (into suj�d) with the takbeer. His knees went before his hands.'[5]

Sayyiduna Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه reports that Rasulullah صلي الله عليه وسلم said, 'When one of you falls down into sajdah he should begin with his knees before his hands and he should not descend in the manner of a camel.'[6]

Sayyiduna Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه reports that Rasulullah صلي الله عليه وسلم said, 'When one of you falls down into sajdah does he do so in the manner of a camel?'[7]

Sayyiduna Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه says, 'We used to place our hands before our knees, then we were instructed to place our knees before our hands.'[8]

Kulaib رضي الله عنه narrates that when Rasulullah صلي الله عليه وسلم would prostrate his knees would fall to the ground before his hands.[9]

Sayyiduna Hakeem Ibn Hizam رضي الله عنه says, 'I pledged to Rasulullah صلي الله عليه وسلم that I would not descend except whilst being upright.'[10]

Sayyiduna Ubayy Ibn Ka'b رضي الله عنه narrates that Rasulullah صلي الله عليه وسلم would fall down upon his knees and not lean.[11]

Aswad رحمه الله reports that Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه would fall down on his knees.[12]

The same has been reported about Sayyiduna Umar رضي الله عنه by Alqamah (رحمه الله)[13] and Ibrahim al Nakhai (رحمه الله). [14]

Ibrahim al Nakhai (رحمه الله) says, 'It has been remembered of Ibn Mas'ood رضي الله عنه that his knees would fall to the ground before his hands.'[15]

'Abdullah rرحمه الله elates that when his father (Muslim Ibn Asaar رحمه الله) would prostrate his knees would fall to the ground followed by his hands and then his head.[16]

Nafi' (رحمه الله) reports that when Ibn Umar رضي الله عنهما would prostrate he would place his knees before his hands and when rising from the prostration he would raise his hands before his knees.[17]

Abu Ishaq (رحمه الله) relates that when the companions of 'Abdullah (ibn Mas'ood) رضي الله عنه would descend for suj�d their knees would fall to the ground before their hands.[18]

Mahdi bin Maimoon (رحمه الله) says, 'I saw Ibn Seereen (رحمه الله) place his knees before his hands.'[19]

Mugheerah (rرحمه الله) says, 'I asked Ibraheem (al Nakhai - رحمه الله) about a man who places his hands before his knees when falling down into suj�d. He replied, "Only a fool or mad man would do it."'[20]

Imam Tirmidhi (رحمه الله) says after narrating the above hadeeth of Sayyiduna Wail bin Hujr رضي الله عنه, 'This is the practice of most of the people of learning. They are of the view that a man should place his knees before his hands, and when rising he should lift his hands before his knees.'

(Salaah of a believer, in the Qur'an and Sunnah, Shaykh Riyadh Ul Haq)

Notes:
[2] Darimi 1320, Ibn Majah 882, Abu Dawood 838, Tirmidhi 268, Nasai 1089, Ibn Khuzaimah 626, and Tahawi 1/255. Also reported by Ibn al Sakan in his Saheeh as quoted by Hafidh bin Hajar in al Talkhees al Habeer 1/254 no. 379. Narrated also by Ibn Hibban 1909, Hakim 822, Baihaqi 2628 and Baghawi 3/133 no 642. Imam Tirmidhi says that the hadeeth is hasan ghareeb and Hakim has declared it saheeh and Dhahabi agreed. This hadeeth has also been narrated with other chains.
[3] As mentioned by Hafidh in Fath al Bari 2/370, and Baghawi in Sharh al Sunnah 3/135.
[4] In al Awsat 3/166
[5] Hakim 822 and Baihaqi 2632. Hakim classified it saheeh and Dhahabi agreed with him. Hafidh Ibn al Humam quotes Ibn al Jawzi in Fath al Qadeer 1/287 as saying that all of its narrators are authentic
[6] Ibn Abi Shaibah 2702, Abu Ya'laa 11/414 no 6540, Tahawi 1/255 and Baihaqi 2635.
[7] Abu Dawood 841, Nasai 1090 and Baihaqi 2636.
[8] Ibn Khuzaimah 828 and Baihaqi 2637. Hafidh Ibn Hajar says in Fath al Bari that two of its narrators are weak.
[9] Baihaqi 2630. This hadeeth is mursal.
[10] Ahmad 14888 and Nasai 1084.
[11] Ibn Hibban as quoted by Hafidh Haithami in Mawarid al Dhamaan 497.
[12] Ibn Abi Shaibah 2704.
[13] Tahawi 1/256. Imam Nimawi says 432 that its isnad is saheeh.
[14] Abdul Razzaq 2955.
[15] Tahawi 1/256. Muhaddith Dhafar Ahmad Uthmani says 3/35 that its isnad is saheeh.
[16] Abdul Razzaq 2958 and Ibn Abi Shaibah 2706.
[17] Ibn Abi Shaibah 2705.
[18] Ibn Abi Shaibah 2711.
[19] Ibn Abi Shaibah 2709.
[20] Abdul Razzaq 2956 & 2957, Ibn Abi Shaibah 2707, and Tahawi 1/256. Muhaddith Dhafar Ahmad Uthmani says that its narrators are authentic (3/35).
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 1st November 2011 12:31
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 14th November 2011 09:06
Fatwa of Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen رضي الله عنه

Question:

What is the correct manner of going down into Prostration?

Answer:

Prostration should be on the knees first and then the hands.

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: 'When one of you prostrates, he should not kneel as a camel kneels, but should place his hands before his knees.' (Ahmad, 2:381)

Ibn al-Qayyim رضي الله عنه said in Zadul Ma'ad [1:215] that the end of the hadith was transmitted in a reversed fashion by the narrator, and so the end of the hadith should be: But should place his knees before his hands, since if he placed his hands before his knees, he would be kneeling as a camel kneels, because when the camel kneels, it begins with its forelegs; and that is clear to anyone who has witnessed a camel kneeling.

In that case, the correct opinion, if we wish the beginning and the end of the hadith to accord is: But should place his knees before his hands, because if he placed his hands before his knees, he would be kneeling as the camel kneels and in that case, the beginning of the hadith and the end of it would be contradictory.

Based upon this, the Sunnah which the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) ordered in Sujud is to place the knees before the hands.
(Fatawa Arkan al-Islam, pp 478-480)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 20th December 2011 12:04
As-Sayyid Sabiq (رحمه الله) said in Fiqh-us-Sunnah (vol. 1, pg. 151): "Most scholars prefer that one place his knees on the floor before his hands. Ibn al-Mundhir (رحمه الله) related this from Umar (ibn al-Khatab) (رضي الله عنه), an-Nakhai (رحمه الله), Muslim ibn Yasar (رحمه الله), Sufyan al-Thauri (رحمه الله), Ahmad (ibn Hanbal) (رحمه الله), (according to one of two views reported from him), Ishaq (ibn Rahwaih) (رحمه الله) and other jurists including Ibn al-Mundhir (رحمه الله) himself. Abu at-Tayyeb (رحمه الله) said that most jurists agree with this. Ibn al Qayyim (al-Jawziyya (رحمه الله), the disciple of Ibn Taymiyyah - رحمه الله) said: 'When the Prophet, upon whom be peace, prayed, he would place his knees (on the floor) before his hands, then his hands, his forehead and nose. This is what is authentic and has been related by Shuraik (رحمه الله) from Asim ibn Kaleeb (رحمه الله) on the authority of his father from Wa'il ibn Hajr (Allah be pleased with him) who said: I saw the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, while prostrating, place his knees (on the floor) before his hands. Upon getting up, he would raise his hands before his knees. I never saw him do otherwise.'

Malik رحمه الله, al-Auza'i رحمه الله, Ibn Hazm رحمه الله and Ahmad رحمه الله maintain that it is preferred to place the hands down first and then the knees. Says al-Auza'i رحمه الله, 'I saw the people placing their hands on the floor before their knees.' Ibn Abu Dawud رحمه الله comments, 'That is the statement of the people of hadith.'

There is also a difference of opinion concerning how one should stand up from the prostration after the first (or third) rak'ah. Some say one should raise the hands from the floor first while others say that one should raise the knees first."
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 20th December 2011 12:41
Seifeddine wrote:
Ibn al Qayyim (al-Jawziyya (رحمه الله), the disciple of Ibn Taymiyyah - رحمه الله) said: 'When the Prophet, upon whom be peace, prayed, he would place his knees (on the floor) before his hands, then his hands, his forehead and nose.

Interesting, as children, we were taught exactly the same thing, except for the forehead and nose. We were taught to place the nose first and then the forehead and when getting up, the movement was done backwards. i.e. lift the forehead, the nose, the hands and then the knees (if standing)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Qatar, Doha
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 21st December 2011 07:08
abu mohammed wrote:
Seifeddine wrote:
Ibn al Qayyim (al-Jawziyya (رحمه الله), the disciple of Ibn Taymiyyah - رحمه الله) said: 'When the Prophet, upon whom be peace, prayed, he would place his knees (on the floor) before his hands, then his hands, his forehead and nose.

Interesting, as children, we were taught exactly the same thing, except for the forehead and nose. We were taught to place the nose first and then the forehead and when getting up, the movement was done backwards. i.e. lift the forehead, the nose, the hands and then the knees (if standing)

Very true, quiet a few of the hanafi scholars ive spoken to have said the same thing, Nose first then forehead, when going into sujdah.

Interesting........ the plot thickens! lol
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 21st December 2011 12:07

"Seifeddine-M" wrote:
Sayyid Sabiq (رحمه الله) said in Fiqh-us-Sunnah (vol. 1, pg. 151): "Most scholars prefer that one place his knees on the floor before his hands. Ibn al-Mundhir (رحمه الله) related this from Umar (ibn al-Khatab) (رضي الله عنه), an-Nakhai (رحمه الله), Muslim ibn Yasar (رحمه الله), Sufyan al-Thauri (رحمه الله), Ahmad (ibn Hanbal) (رحمه الله), (according to one of two views reported from him), Ishaq (ibn Rahwaih) (رحمه الله) and other jurists including Ibn al-Mundhir (رحمه الله) himself. Abu at-Tayyeb (رحمه الله) said that most jurists agree with this. Ibn al Qayyim (al-Jawziyya (رحمه الله), the disciple of Ibn Taymiyyah - رحمه الله) said: 'When the Prophet, upon whom be peace, prayed, he would place his knees (on the floor) before his hands, then his hands, his forehead and nose. This is what is authentic and has been related by Shuraik (رحمه الله) from Asim ibn Kaleeb (رحمه الله) on the authority of his father from Wa'il ibn Hajr (Allah be pleased with him) who said: I saw the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, while prostrating, place his knees (on the floor) before his hands. Upon getting up, he would raise his hands before his knees. I never saw him do otherwise.'" (see Abu Dawood, 1/837-838, pg. 215) http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/misc/alfiqh.htm

Asslamo Allaikum,

The exact text is as follows in the Chapter: Paryers/ Sunnah acts of prayer, How To Prostrate

الكتاب||الصلاةُ||سُنَنُ الصلاةِ||كيفيةُ الهويِّ إلى السجودِ ، والرفْعِ منه

كيفيةُ الهويِّ إلى السجودِ، والرفْعِ منه: ذهب الجمهور إلى استحباب وضع الركبتين قبل اليدين، حكاه ابن المنذر عن عمر، والنخعي، ومسلم بن يسار، وسفيان الثوري، وأحمد، وإسحاق، وأصحاب الرأي، قال: وبه أقول. انتهى. وحكاه أبو الطيب عن عامة الفقهاء. وقال ابن القيم: وكان صلى الله عليه وسلم يضع ركبتيه قبل يديه، ثم يديه بعدهما، ثم جبهته وأنفه، هذا هو الصحيح، الذي رواه شريك، عن عاصم بن كليب، عن أبيه، عن وائل بن حجر، قال: رأيت رسول اللّه صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا سجد، وضع ركبتيه قبل يديه، وإذا نهض، رفع يديه قبل ركبتيه(1). ولم يرو في فعله ما يخالف ذلك، انتهى.
وذهب مالك، والأوزاعي، وابن حزم إلى استحباب وضع اليدين قبل الركبتين، وهو رواية عن أحمد. قال الأوزاعي: أدركت الناس يضعون أيديهم قبل ركبهم. وقال ابن أبي داود: وهو قول أصحاب الحديث.
وأما كيفية الرفع من السجود، حين القيام إلى الركعة الثانية، فهو على الخلاف أيضاً، فالمستحب عند الجمهور، أن يرفع يديه، ثم ركبتيه، وعند غيرهم، يبدأ برفع ركبتيه قبل يديه(2).

Most scholars prefer that one place his knees on the floor before his hands. Ibn al-Munzhir related this from 'Umar an-Nakha'i, Muslim ibn Yasar, Sufyan al-Thauri, Ahmad, Ishaq and other jurists including Ibn al-Munzhir himself. Abu at-Tayyeb said that most jurists agree with this. Ibn al-Qayyim said, "When the Prophet, upon whom be peace, prayed, he would place his knees (on the floor) before his hands, then his hands, his forehead and nose. This is what is authentic and has been related by Shuraik from 'Asim ibn Kaleeb on the authority of his father from Wa'il ibn Hajr who said, 'I saw the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, while prostrating, placing his knees (on the floor) before his hands. Upon getting up, he would raise his hands before his knees. I never saw him do otherwise." Malik, al-Auza'i, Ibn Hazm and Ahmad maintain that it is preferred to place the hands down first and then the knees. Says al-Auza'i, "I saw the people placing their hands on the floor before their knees." Ibn Abu Dawud comments, "That is the statement of the people of hadith." There is also a difference of opinion concerning how one should stand up from the prostration after the first (or third) rak'ah. Some say one should raise the hands from the floor first while others say that one should raise the knees first.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 17th April 2012 15:32
abu mohammed wrote:
Seifeddine wrote:

Thereafter, the palms should be placed upon the ground. In Sajdah, the fingers should be close together. (Sunan Abu Dawood no-830)

Then the nose should be placed on the ground. (Sunan Abu Dawood no-885)

Thereafter, the forehead should be placed on the ground. (Sunan Nasai no-1099/ Sahih Bukhari no-775)

http://www.muftisays.com/forums/books/6536/51-sunan-of-salah-in-the-light-of-saheeh-ahadeeth.html
+1 -0Like x 1