Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Top Members

/random

Jump to page:

You have contributed 1.5% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Desi tadka, Taalibah, Naqshband66, Acacia, member2, Black Turban, Sulaiman84
6 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#226 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 01:49
I suppose it is the brother who supplied all those purses to the sister who, out of love and thoughtfulness towards her husband, thought of a brilliant way to use them all - imagine how difficult it must've been for her to put all those purses together, and how much harder such materialism has actually made her life when shopping for groceries and such... the patience she needs in order to go through each purse in order, gently so as not to ruin them... subhanAllah, such thoughtfulness!
report post quote code quick quote reply
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#227 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 06:56
I was listening to a talk where a story about a dog was narrated. The lesson in the story is about pride. I wonder if brothers and sisters here can help me locate the narration - whose story is it and what is the exact narration insha'Allah.

It goes something like this: it is raining and the roads are muddy. A dog is sleeping on the sidewalk where there is no mud. The person wants to walk but if they go through the street, they'll get muddy so a thought enters their mind that they'll just wake the dog and have it move since it is an impure animal anyway, it doesn't matter if it gets muddy or not but their clothes are clean... and right away, it enters his heart that "your clothes may remain clean but you would have soiled your heart with pride thinking that you're better than a dog... if your clothes get dirt, you can wash them right way; but, if your heart gets soiled, it will take a lot of effort and years to clean it."

The person later said: "I learned tasawwuf from a dog."
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#228 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 08:40
The above seems releated to Shaikh Abdur Rahman Jami رحمة الله عليه, though not sure.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#229 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 09:13
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

(salam)

A Beggar could wear a torn Bally shoe with equal vanity where a brother could wear a Hublot without any air about it.

Hazrat Umar رضي الله عنه was distributing war booty once and there were some expensive dresses each about 150,000 dirhams. he sent it to a sahabi رضي الله عنه (sorry cannot recollect the blessed name) who sold the same and dispersed the amount to charity.
the next time he sent forth a an ordinary one. infuriated, the sahabi returned the dress and threw it on the ground demanding an explamnation.

Hazrat Umar رضي الله عنه told him it was given since he did not wear the previous one. the sahabi asserted it was his business what he did with the dress. so the expensive one was given to him. it was seen later that he kept the dress exclusively for praying Tahajjud.
so we cannot judge anyones intentions.

you said: is it then still a watch or a pretty bracelet which just happens to have a clock face on it?

would the same ruling of wearing a ring not apply here ? while the ring remains silver ( within the prescribed weight) the stone could be a priceless diamond.

The strap could be pretty but Not of gold. or made of Silver exceeding the permissible limit. while the dial could be diamond encrusted. wallahu alam.

Rank Image
UK
Brother
#230 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 09:40
Why don't women wear jewellery? I see two extremes, Sisters with nothing and Sisters who are loaded up with Gold like a donkey. A woman who knows what to wear only enhances her attractiveness for her husband while not wearing her means that she is opting not to use a weapon in her arsenal to please Allah (SWT).

Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#231 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 11:04
User Invalidum wrote:
View original post

salaam

my point was that if a person wanted a watch just for time keeping, then he could buy a cheap, plain digital watch that will keep the time better than any expensive analogue watch. the cheap digital watch would be better for this purpose.

but if a person chooses a watch for the name, price, design etc then he is not actually buying it for the sake of keeping time, but buying something to decorate his wrists which is in reality just another bracelet. again, if his main purpose was to buy a watch to keep time then a cheap digital watch would serve this purpose better than any expensive analogue watch.

buying expensive, pretty watches to decorate your wrists is no different than having your face threaded. both are done out of vanity.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#232 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 11:49
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Not True.

Imam Muhammad Shaybani was one of the best dressers (clothes). He dressed very smart and very well and he did all this for his wife. He said that if he had dressed well his wife would not even think about lookingat another man.

It has nothing to do with vanity or pride.

(according to Mufti Abdur Raheem Limbada in a lecture a few Ramadhans ago)
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#233 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 11:53
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

so in the same way would it be okay for a man to have his face threaded in order to look good for his wife? by this i mean above the beard line of course.

edit: you did not address the point about wearing a watch as a bracelet. where would this come in if it wasnt about vanity?
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#234 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 11:57

xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Threading is adopting traits of femininity while wearing a nice watch or nice clothes and appearing nice is just a normal thing to do.

If Allah (SWT) has given someone money and he buys a Bentley when a Toyota can also get him from point A to point B then as long as his income is Halal and he pays Zakat we can’t see say something about his Bentley, can we?

Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#235 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 11:58
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

we find these differences in lives of sahabah رضي الله عنهم, Taba'een, Taba' taba'een and Auliya as well.
some dressed with refinement.. and manisfested with intent of shukr.. others, Even though kings or the wealthy.. preferred modesty and showed Ijz..

Examples are there from each as Hazrat Khalid Bin Walid رضي الله عنه, Hazrat Imam Malik رحمة الله عليه, Hazrat Ibrahim Bin Adham رحمة الله عليه ( who inspite of being a king, abdicated the throne to live a simple life) Hazrat Alamgir Aurangzeb رحمة الله عليه & from Mashaikh like Hazrat Nizamuddin Balkhi رحمة الله عليه, Sultan ul Mashaikh Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya رحمة الله عليه ( whose kitchen would feed hundreds in a day). or Shaikh Obaidullah Ahrar رحمة الله عليه whose tents were ingrained to the earth pierced with nails of gold. the incident of his pupil Shaikh Abdur rahman Jami رحمة الله عليه while seeing this is also very interesting.

so anything a man adorns within Shari'i injunctions are allowed and who are we to judge. the question of being afdhal may be an individual preference/difference.

Rank Image
London
Brother
#236 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 12:01
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

There are major different types of grooming and in my books, threading isn't one of them.

I cant stand guys who wear bracelets either. We aren't meant to imitate women.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#237 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 12:16
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

just read some fatwas on askimam and islamqa. it seems that there is nothing specific about bracelets being haram for men except that it falls under femininity and thus not allowed.

why are expensive, decorative watches not deemed to be feminine as they resemble bracelets in more ways than resembling simple time keeping apparatus? is it to do with what is deemed masculine/feminine in the society that one lives?

Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#238 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 12:23
sorry about all the questions. i cant see the consistency in the answers. it is probably due to my own deficiency.

i dont see any difference between a man wearing a bracelet and another man wearing a decorative watch.

i dont see any difference between a man threading his cheeks out of vanity and a man wearing a decorative watch out of vanity.

if vanity is a feminine trait, and men have been forbidden to wear certain things in order not to be vain/feminine, then many things will fall under that category. not just bracelets.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#239 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 12:27
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Kindly refer your query to a Mufti.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#240 [Permalink] Posted on 28th October 2013 12:29
The watch is there for a purpose (time keeping and can be used as adornment) and the ladies bracelet is there for adornment only.

There is a huge difference between the two.

If on the other hand a man wore a ladies watch for adornment, then that's a whole new thread together with those who thread their faces.

Jump to page: