Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
member2, Yasin, abu mohammed, Taalibah, sweetmuslimahk1, Naqshband66, Ahmeduk
12 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1861 [Permalink] Posted on 25th August 2020 09:59
An interesting find if you are constantly getting errors with apps or your mobile in general.

www.google.com/amp/s/www.gtricks.com/android/guide-to-fix...

The app in this link picks up what is known as "Toasts" (pop ups of errors or info) and stores it in the app for you to go back to and check. This will then tell you what is causing the issue and you should either be able to clear cache, storage or simply get rid of the app causing the issue.

I've come across this info in the search for the bug I have mentioned in the post above.

So far I've removed many apps, removed the sd card but no difference. Then I tried safe mode and my phone worked fine, so this narrows it down to my actual profile with Google. I have a feeling, Google is overwritting the phones own skin causing this issue.

Let's see how things get on and if this new app will help me find the culprit.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1862 [Permalink] Posted on 6th September 2020 20:43
Saudi Arabia develops secure alternative to WhatsApp

arab.news/bm6je

Saudi Vision 2030 underpins the importance of digitalization and cybersecurity and that this endeavor is in the pursuit of that program

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia is developing a secure alternative to the short messaging service WhatsApp that will help ensure protection of confidential data.

The local messaging service will limit the Kingdom’s reliance on foreign companies and ensure that any confidential or sensitive data is safe on local servers.

A dedicated team of Saudi engineers and researchers at the King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) is working on this project.

The instant message platform is expected to be ready in a year and will allow users to communicate in a secure environment as an alternative to Facebook’s WhatsApp and Tencent’s WeChat.

“This platform is being built on locally developed encrypted software and algorithms that will protect it from potential security vulnerabilities and help achieve the highest degree of security and privacy,” said Basil Al-Omair, director at the National Information Security Center at the KACST.

In a statement issued to the media, Al-Omair further said that the homegrown platform will also guarantee a safe exchange of both text and voice communications.

“The advantage of the app, designed by the all-Saudi workforce, is that it is free from external servers controlled by foreign agencies and will hence ensure confidentiality,” he added.
They are currently targeting government agencies, institutions and companies, and not the average user, he said.

The advantage of the app, designed by the all-Saudi workforce, is that it is free from external servers controlled by foreign agencies and will hence ensure confidentiality.

Speaking to Arab News, Mohammed Khurram Khan, a professor of cybersecurity at the King Saud University in Riyadh, said: “It is indeed a great initiative taken by the KACST to develop an indigenous platform for secured file transfer and multimedia communication, which would have a multitude of benefits.”

He added: “It may create new job opportunities for local talent, develop intellectual property, provide homegrown secure application to public and private sector organizations, and offer bilingual communication interfaces for native users.”

In addition, its local development will ensure that it is free from any security backdoors and loopholes that allow hackers to perform cyberattacks, added Khan, who is also the founder and CEO of Global Foundation for Cyber Studies & Research in Washington, DC.

“This application will harness military-grade security for the confidentiality and integrity of communication and will provide end-to-end encryption for the private exchange of data,” he said.

He added that Saudi Vision 2030 underpins the importance of digitalization and cybersecurity and that this endeavor is in the pursuit of that program.

“Once this platform is successfully implemented and tested, it could be exported to generate revenue and boost the national economy,” said Khan.

The platform, he added, could be made scalable and may integrate with other services to provide additional functionalities, such as securing payment of bills, tickets and money transfer.
+1 -0
UK
Brother
#1863 [Permalink] Posted on 6th September 2020 22:11
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Very useful. Toasts monitoring is only useful if you're on another app or no app at all and you get toast messages on regular intervals.

This is a toast message.

I remember getting the "network error" messages years ago. I ended rebooting the phone because I thought I installed a dodgy apk (an installation file without using playstore) so I had no idea what app was causing it. Could have done with this service back then.
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1864 [Permalink] Posted on 12th November 2020 21:37
www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/openreach-sogea-sta...

New type of Internet coming near you (in the UK) SOGEA

Don't forget, by 2025, traditional telephone lines, ISDN and the like will become obsolete in the UK.

Everyone will eventually need to be switching to a new supply.

Works have been going on for a few years to get offices to switch to VoIP.

Recently we've been switching our clients to VoIP and been taking out the traditional pabx phone systems.

Also, most people only use their landlines for broadband, so again, this will be much better. For those who will still need a phone, they will need to get a VoIP phone.

So, get ready for the change and know your options.

By the way, the service is already available. I've already seen it and used it. Couldn't tell the difference to be honest and tomorrow I'll try and set up a normal TP-Link router on one of these new connections and see if it will work. (normally, the isp provider supplies a router, but in this case, the customer said they already had a router but the engineer on site said it wasn't compatible. I'm wondering what router they had. All will be known tomorrow InshaAllah)

See the link for more on what it is and how much it costs, I might get it at home, I don't get calls on the landline and when I do, I wished I didn't have a landline :)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1865 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2020 18:11
How the U.S. Military Buys Location Data from Ordinary Apps

A Muslim prayer app with over 98 million downloads is one of the apps connected to a wide-ranging supply chain that sends ordinary people's personal data to brokers, contractors, and the military.

Plenty of other apps (many listed in article) do this too.

www.vice.com/amp/en/article/jgqm5x/us-military-location-d...
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1866 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2020 20:17
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

"Muadh_Khan wrote:
📲 *MuslimPro App*

This Salah time App is providing location data to others including *US Military* when you check for Prayer Times and Islamc dates.

www.vice.com/en/article/jgqm5x/us-military-location-data-...

*Delete the App from your Phone and don't install unnecessary and unknown Apps on your Phone:*

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitsmedia.andro...

apps.apple.com/us/app/muslim-pro-azan-quran-qibla/id38838...

مسلم پرو ایپ آپکے فون سے ڈیٹا امریکن فوج کو بیچتی ہے. اس ایپ کو نکالیں اور غیر ضروری ایپ فون پر نہ ڈالیں
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1867 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd November 2020 12:07
Some good prices when checking at the right time.

Choice of a wide range of handsets.

A few months ago, I picked up the Redmi Note 9 for my son for £125+vat

An amazing phone. He had the choice of an iPhone 8 plus or a phone of his choice within budget (he broke is previous Xiaomi handset and was offered his mum phone). He opted for android and made a great choice.

mobile.mi.com/uk

I'm still to come across a handset better than the old HTC One :)
2714-Screenshot_20201121-091055.png
Downloads: 33
    [121.69 kB]
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1868 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd November 2020 23:40
eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2020/11/apple-to-pay-11...

Apple to pay $113m for intentionally slowing down iPhones

By E&T editorial staff

Published Friday, November 20, 2020

Apple is set to pay $113m (£85m) to a coalition of 33 US states over its decision to intentionally slow the processor speeds of ageing iPhones.

In 2017 it emerged that, following a software update, older iPhone models were having their performance gimped, with Apple claiming this was to enable the processor to continue to operate when the battery was not capable of outputting the levels of power that it could when brand new.

Despite Apple’s technical explanations, many consumers felt like the policy was designed to force them to upgrade to newer models, especially when considering that the same practices are not applied on Android devices and Apple was not forthcoming about its practices.

It has now struck a $113m deal with a coalition of US states, led by Arizona, Arkansas and Indiana. The settlement includes $5m to Arizona, $24.6m to Apple’s home state of California, and $7.6m to Texas.

“My colleagues and I are trying to get the attention of these big tech companies, and you would hope a multimillion-dollar judgment with more than 30 states will get their attention,” Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich said in an interview.
“Companies cannot be disingenuous and conceal things.”

After Apple’s practices were uncovered in 2017, the company issued a rare apology, temporarily dropped the price of replacement batteries, and added a feature to allow iPhone users to monitor battery health.

The latest deal struck with states is separate from a proposed settlement Apple reached in March to pay affected iPhone owners up to $500m to stem a class action.

Apple also agreed for the next three years to provide “truthful information” about iPhone power-management across its website, software update notes and iPhone settings. Arizona said Apple’s present disclosures and options are sufficient. The settlement with states is subject to court approval.

Earlier this week, the firm lowered the cut it takes from sales on its App Store for smaller developers who make less than $1m annually.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1869 [Permalink] Posted on 27th November 2020 13:59
How good is the latest iPhone 12 Pro Max?

The best and most innovative phone EVER!

I must admit, like I have with every previous model, it's a lovely build and design.

So here's the thing.

On the lock screen, a swipe from right to left activates the camera, even accidentally. (what they should've done is have the swipe to work only from the camera icon, not the whole screen.

Very annoying feature at times, very handy at other times. But this means the camera comes on more by accident than needed and then you have unwanted photos and battery usage.

If you have an Android, no worries I'm sure you can disable it or only turn the camera on if the app icon is swiped (common sense)

But hey, guess what? YOU CAN DISABLE IT ON THE IPHONES!
Follow these instructions below and you will forever get rid of your camera :)
Go to "Settings", "Screen Time", "Content & Privacy Restrictions", "Allowed Apps", "Camera" to turn off the camera from the lock screen.

Now you must be wondering what the point of this post is, I don't blame you. But I'm sure you know me better ;)

This lovely option now disables the camera fr the lock screen as instructed by Apple, but completely disables the camera. This means, no face unlock, no camera.... Face-palm moment.

The bite in the Apple logo really does mean something is missing!

Anyone with a solution, please do let me know and also tell Apple in their suggestions box. (My suggestion to them is to have the option to have the shortcut removed from the lock screen - it's not rocket science)

Source
discussions.apple.com/thread/251015070

If you think it only works via the camera icon, you are wrong.

This video shows you everything in saying
youtu.be/wjyeug8khbg
2714-Screenshot_20201127-134538.png
Downloads: 49
    [139.00 kB]
+2 -0Creative x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1870 [Permalink] Posted on 27th November 2020 14:22
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

I had one work around and it seems to be doing okay for now and I hope others find it useful.

Tip 1: buy an Android if you need a smartphone.
Tip 2: sell one iPhone and buy 10 or more even better devices
Tips can go on and i'll never be able to make my point, so...
Final Tip: Disable "Raise to wake iPhone"
+1 -0Creative x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1871 [Permalink] Posted on 12th December 2020 09:25
www.ft.com/content/63d363e1-63bd-47ec-85d2-689330e9032a

Al Jazeera journalist sues Saudi crown prince and UAE leader over phone hack

Ghada Oueiss alleges she was targeted in attempt to silence her and other critics of Saudi government

The lawsuit filed by Ghada Oueiss says her phone was infiltrated using a vulnerability in WhatsApp that allowed hacking tools to inject spyware into the device

An Al Jazeera journalist has filed a lawsuit in the US alleging that her phone was hacked using commercially sold Israeli spyware and that intimate photos and videos were leaked to stifle her reporting on Saudi Arabia.

The lawsuit — filed by Ghada Oueiss, an anchor for the Qatar-backed news outlet’s influential Arabic-language channel — said she was targeted for her reporting on Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s de facto leader, as part of a broader campaign to silence her and other prominent critics of the Saudi government.

Ms Oueiss’ phone was infiltrated using a vulnerability in WhatsApp, the messaging service, that allowed operators of Israel-based NSO Group’s hacking tools to inject spyware into a device simply by making a missed call, the lawsuit said.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1872 [Permalink] Posted on 26th January 2021 21:58
UK regulator to write to WhatsApp over Facebook data sharing

Information commissioner says the chat app committed in 2017 not to share contact and user information

Tue 26 Jan 2021

The UK’s data regulator is writing to WhatsApp to demand that the chat app does not hand user data to Facebook, as millions worldwide continue to sign up for alternatives such as Signal and Telegram to avoid forthcoming changes to its terms of service.

Elizabeth Denham, the information commissioner, told a parliamentary committee that in 2017, WhatsApp had committed not to hand any user information over to Facebook until it could prove that doing so respected GDPR.

But, she said, that agreement was enforced by the Irish data protection authority until the Brexit transition period ended on 1 January. Now that Britain is fully outside the EU, ensuring that those promises are being kept falls to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

“The change in the terms of service, and the requirement of users to share information with Facebook, does not apply to UK users or to users in the EU,” Denham told the digital, culture, media and sport sub-committee on online harms and disinformation, “and that’s because in 2017 my office negotiated with WhatsApp so that they agreed not to share user information and contact information until they could show that they complied with the GDPR.”

Asked by the committee chair whether there was any more recent agreement than the 2017 one, however, Denham said there was not. “Up until 1 January, it was the Irish data protection authority’s job to oversee the activity of WhatsApp. As long as we were in the transition period, the one-stop-shop meant it was my Irish colleague who was responsible for WhatsApp. That’s changed now.”

The information commissioner also revealed that she uses Signal, a privacy-focused competitor to WhatsApp, for her personal messaging, and does not have an account with either Facebook or WhatsApp.

“What’s really interesting about WhatsApp’s announcement on its ongoing sharing with Facebook is how many users voted with their virtual feet and left the platform to take up membership with Telegram or Signal,” she added.

“Users expect companies to maintain their trust and not to suddenly change the contract that they have with the users, and I think it’s an example of users being concerned about the trustworthiness and the sustainability of the promises made to users.”

The user exodus from WhatsApp began in early July, when the company announced plans to implement a new privacy policy on 8 February. Those plans, which have now been delayed to early summer, caused substantial panic among the app’s users. Some of the concern was around changes that explicitly spelled out, for the first time, the existing data-sharing arrangements between WhatsApp and Facebook outside the “European region”, which includes the EU and UK.

Others were concerned by misinformation, ironically spread on WhatsApp itself, that the new terms of service would allow Facebook to read user messages. That is not the case – the end-to-end encryption applied by WhatsApp prevents Facebook from accessing message contents even if it desired, but the claim spread far enough for WhatsApp to buy advertising declaring: “Neither WhatsApp nor Facebook can read your messages or hear your calls.”

Signal and Telegram, the two big beneficiaries of the panic, have added millions of users each in the first three weeks of January. Signal, which was not in the top 1,000 apps in Britain at the beginning of the year, spent several days as the most downloaded app in the country, and has gained 7.5 million users globally.

www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jan/26/uk-regulator-t...
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1873 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2021 19:40
www.macrumors.com/2021/01/29/xiaomi-announces-remote-wire...

Xiaomi Announces 'Mi Air Charge' Remote Wireless Charging Technology

Xiaomi has today revealed its "Mi Air Charge Technology," which is able to wirelessly charge devices from across a room with 5W of power.

Mi Air Charge Technology offers a "true wireless charging" solution, with no cables or stands. Devices charge remotely with 5W of power, using advanced spatial positioning and beamforming energy transmission.

Xiaomi has developed an isolated charging pile unit with five phase interference antennas, which can accurately detect the location of a smartphone. A phase control array with 144 antennas then transmits millimeter-wide waves directly to the phone through beamforming.

For smartphones, Xiaomi has developed a corresponding miniaturized antenna array with a "beacon antenna" and a "receiving antenna array." The beacon antenna broadcasts low-power positional information, while the receiving antenna array uses 14 antennas to convert the millimeter wave signal emitted by the charging pile directly into electric energy via a rectifier circuit.

The remote charging technology is capable of charging multiple devices within a radius of several meters, with each device able to receive 5W of power. Xiaomi also notes that physical objects placed in between the charging pile and the device do not reduce the charging efficiency.

Xiaomi says that it is looking to expand the technology to smartwatches, wristbands, and other wearables, as well as smart home speakers, desk lamps, and more in the future. It is unclear how close Xiaomi is to bringing its Mi Air Charge Technology and charging pile to the consumer market, but today's reveal may suggest that it is sooner rather than later.

The announcement indicates that progress on remote wireless charging technology within the industry is steadily developing. Several years ago, Apple was rumored to be partnering with Energous to deliver its own remote wireless charging solution. Apple is still believed to be researching new wireless charging technologies, and with the advent of MagSafe on iPhone 12 models, the company is clearly interested in new ways to power devices.

See link above for video
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1874 [Permalink] Posted on 9th March 2021 21:46
This is apparently very old!

The Calendar app on the iPhone and iPad supports alternate calendars, including Islamic By default, in America, it's set to U.S. format. However, you can easily change it to any of the other formats. Here's how!

www.google.com/amp/s/www.imore.com/how-enable-and-use-alt...

How to enable Chinese, Hebrew, or Islamic formats in Calendar for iPhone or iPad

• Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
  • Tap on Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  • Tap on Alternate Calendars under the Calendars section.
  • Tap on any one of the supported alternate calendars you'd like to use instead of the standard format.
  • Your Calendar app should now reflect those changes.

Youtube Video

Similar option also on Android.
+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1875 [Permalink] Posted on 9th March 2021 21:53
Hijri alternative calendar for Android

Youtube Video
+1 -0