You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
bint e aisha, Abdur Rahman ibn Awf
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 27th April 2020 07:12
Someone requested I start this thread...which used to be on Sunniforum. But I lost the old posts, unless someone knows how to recover them from SF. So I guess this will be fresh.

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 27th April 2020 07:14
A common issue that comes up is if someone has qadha prayers to make up in Ramadham - what should they do? Do tarawih or qadha?

Mufti Abdur-Rahman has a video on this same question: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VluG7PBJlI4

I also remember reading in Fazail-e-Amaal that a fardh prayer has 70X more merit than a nafil prayer according to Imam al-Suyuti. So that is why I think more time should be spent making up qadha prayers. Shaykh Nuh Keller wrote about some of his muridas who just pray qadha prayers all day long making up decades of missed prayers.

Only real shortcut is to use short surahs. If you are Shafi'i you don't have to make up sunnahs (witr is shafi'i sunnah), Hanafis will have to make up sunnah mu'akadah too. Obviously its good for Shafi'is to make up sunnahs too afterwards. :)
+1 -0Like x 1Optimistic x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 27th April 2020 07:38
There's a few tricks I've come up with to be able to read more Qur'an in Ramadhan

- Sit comfortably - couch or even somewhere with leg support. Switch to walking if you find yourself getting restless
- Switch between iPhone, iPad and Mushaf - moving your thumb is easier than flipping a page, but battery can die out. I also find retina display has less strain on eyes.
- Stop and take a 1 minute break when you find it hard to read - restarting becomes much easier
- Sit in a slightly slouched position, putting pressure on lungs so you take shorter breaths, like a biker leaning forward on bicycle, you can read more in one breath that way
- Read one line normal speed, and the next line just a little faster - don't go super-speed continuously b/c this is tiring
- Hold the Qur'an at eye-level (using both hands), don't look down at it because than your eyes will become sleepy. Its easier to hold mushaf at eye-level if you have something to put your elbows on.
- Iced coffee at night to stay awake to Fajr :P
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 27th April 2020 08:22
Mufti Abdur-Rahman ibn Yusuf has a discussion on the Qur'an where sufis debated if something can be greater than the Qur'an?

The answer is obvious from hadith - no.

BUT he says we can't always be connected to the Qur'an, so shaykhs prescribes dhikr so the heart will take more easily to the Qur'an and connect to the Qur'an.

I think this is important in Ramadhan, to just pause from Qur'an and do your adhkar. Just to get back into it. Its like when you smell different attar (perfumes) and after a while you can't smell anything clearly, so they give you coffee grinds to smell to reset your nose, to make it sensitive to the fragrance again. I think adhkar is like the coffee grinds that resets your heart to take in the fragrance of the Qur'an.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 27th April 2020 11:04
This post has been reported. It could be due to breaking rules or something as simple as bad use of bbcodes which breaks the page format. We will attend to this soon.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 27th April 2020 23:30
DawudIsrael wrote:
View original post

Asalam Alaikum,

You said that Hanafis have to make up Sunnah Muakaddah too.
That is not correct.
Only the Fardh and Witr of Isha have to be made up as Qaza.

Some people leave out the Sunnah Muakaddah of the Salah that they're performing in its correct time, in order to make more time for Qaza Salah. That is discouraged as Sunnah Muakaddah of the current Salah is very important.

I repeat: Hanafis do NOT have to perform Qaza of Sunnah Muakaddah.

The only exception: If a person misses Fajr salah, and is performing the Qaza on the same day before Zawal/ Zuhr time, then they should perform qaza of the 2 Rakaat Sunnah Muakaddah of Fajr as well as 2 rakaat Fardh.
+3 -0Agree x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 28th April 2020 01:04
DawudIsrael wrote:
View original post

Quote:
I think this is important in Ramadhan, to just pause from Qur'an and do your adhkar. Just to get back into it.

Is there any evidence for this?

Mufti Abdur Rahman ibn Yusuf once suggested that the memorisation of the Quran would be more rewarding in Ramadhan in the sense that each letter is rewarded and with them multiplied in Ramadhan. In other words, correct the forgotten surahs or memorise more instead of going for just one completion.

Never heard of stopping Qur'an for adhkar, even logically.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 28th April 2020 02:44
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

No evidence. Actually, hadith criticize any the mere thought of seeing anything greater than the Qur'an.

Mufti's point was if you tell someone just go read Qur'an and they have no attachment to Qur'an...they won't. So shaykhs tell that person to do small adhkar instead so they're heart grows soft and is ready to develop a connection to the Qur'an. And than its easier for them to read Qur'an. So in that small respect, dhikr can come first.

This is important because tawfiq to read Qur'an is special and not everyone is granted it.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 28th April 2020 02:48
Here are three ways of reading and listening to the Qur'an...

Another method is recorded in Abu Nasr al-Sarraj’s Kitab al-luma and attributed to Abu Sa'id al-Kharraz (d. 899):

"There are three ways to listen and to be present while listening. The first is to listen to the Qur'an as if you were hearing the Messenger of God recite it to you. Then you should rise from this and hear it as if Gabriel was reciting it to the Prophet, because Allah said, and surely it is the revelation of the Lord of the worlds. The trustworthy spirit descends with it upon your heart (Qur'an, 26:192–4).

Then you should rise from this so that it is as if you were hearing it from God (al-haqq). That is God saying, We revealed the Qur’an which is a healing and a mercy to the believers (17:84), and His words, the revelation of the Book is from God, the exalted, the wise (39:1) and it is as if you were hearing it from God most High. Likewise, Ha. Mim. The revelation of the Book is from God, the exalted, the knowing (40:1).

In your listening [as if you were hearing it] from God, understanding (fahm) is brought out by the presence of your heart (hudur al-qalb) and your being devoid of any preoccupation with the world and your self by the power of witnessing (mushahada), the purity of remembrance (dhikr), focused attention (jam2 al-hamm), good manners (husn al-adab), purity of the innermost secret (sirr) and sincerity of realization (sidq al-tahqiq).

The result of this approach is described as both sweet and awesome.

Abu Talib al-Makki tells us that a scholar said:

I used to read the Qur'an but found no sweetness in it until I recited it as
if I was hearing the Messenger of God reciting it to his Companions.
Then I rose to a station above it and I recited it as if I was hearing Gabriel
presenting it to the Messenger of God. Then God brought me to another
way station and now I hear it from the Speaker. Here I found from it a
blessing and delight I could not resist!
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 29th April 2020 01:16
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Quote:
Never heard of stopping Qur'an for adhkar, even logically.

This incident is actually mentioned in Fazail Amal, where a famous alim presented himself into the company of a sufi master. The sufi master made the alim stop all recitation of the Quran, and concentrate only on daily adhkar. After a period of time had passed, the alim was given permission to resume recitation of the Quran, and his connection with the Quran was greatly enhanced as a result of the sufi master's training.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 29th April 2020 05:19
I realized however many juz you read a day = the number of khatm Qur'an you can do in Ramadan...its a 1:1 ratio.

1 juz a day x 30 days = 30 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 1 khatm
2 juz a day x 30 days = 60 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 2 khatm
3 juz a day x 30 days = 90 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 3 khatm
4 juz a day x 30 days = 120 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 4 khatm
5 juz a day x 30 days = 150 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 5 khatm
6 juz a day x 30 days =180 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 6 khatm
7 juz a day x 30 days = 210 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 7 khatm
8 juz a day x 30 days = 240 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 8 khatm
9 juz a day x 30 days = 270 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 9 khatm
10 juz a day x 30 days = 300 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 10 khatm
11 juz a day x 30 days = 330 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 11 khatm
12 juz a day x 30 days = 360 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 12 khatm
13 juz a day x 30 days = 390 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 13 khatm
14 juz a day x 30 days = 420 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 14 khatm
15 juz a day x 30 days = 450 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 15 khatm
16 juz a day x 30 days = 480 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 16 khatm
17 juz a day x 30 days = 510 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 17 khats
18 juz a day x 30 days = 540 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 18 khatm
19 juz a day x 30 days = 570 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 19 khatm
20 juz a day x 30 days = 600 juz / 30 juz for 1 khatm = 20 khatm
....and so on.

This assumes Ramadan is 30 days...and you didn't slack in the start of Ramadan!
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 29th April 2020 06:52
Hilayatul Awliya:
Salem bin Abi'l Ja'ad narrated that Abdullah ibn Umar said (radiallahu anhuma): "A man does not attain the station of true faith (iman) unless he regards others as incapable of understanding the reasons behind his immoderate religious exertions."
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 30th April 2020 20:44
Sleep in Ramadhan is a strange thing. I've been staying awake to suhur and then sleeping and waking up around 12. So around 5.5-6 hours of sleep. But I end up needing a nap later (30 min - 60 min) in the day. This is the most I can reduce my sleep to.

The problem is it turns you into a zombie. Its hard to think clearly and focus on any work - including reading Qur'an. Its like being in a haze as soon as you wake up until iftar. Creativity suffers too. You build up a sleep debt and when Ramadhan ends and you sleep longer, you sleep for a very long time.

Even in i'tikaaf I remember this being the most I could reduce my sleep to and an uncle would speak to me and I just couldn't understand what they were saying.

I don't know if there is a way to mitigate this...maybe some herbs or vitamins...?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 30th April 2020 21:23
Exercise in Ramadhan is something that people don't get into much. But this year, I feel exercise is paramount. Before we would at least go to the masajid and do 2 hours taraweeh...but now we are sedentary at home with the bluescreens boring into our eyes.

I have only seen one good article on exercise in Ramadhan by Rehan Jalali (Muslim fitness guy) and it speaks to mainly weight training. This year I am doing HIIT after taraweeh and before suhur and light walking during the fast. Even a 30 minute walk kills cravings for chocolate.

What I find is it keep my body 'awake' as opposed to becoming lazy and lethargic. The benefit is I can get more out of my day than if I was sitting around all day. I am coming to terms with just exercising for general health and well-being as opposed to fitness goals.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd May 2020 08:25
Some times I delay the time for Qur'an khatm dua. But today, I thought maybe there is a reason why I am finishing at this time of day...namely after 'Asr on Friday evening before breaking the fast.

So this brought me to my theory of "Layers or Intersection of Acceptance (Qabuliyat)"
- Dua is accepted at khatm Qur'an = deed
- The hour of acceptance is on Jumuah and some say it is after Asr = weekly blessed time
- Ramadhan is generally the most blessed time of year = monthly blessed time
- Dua while fasting is also said to be accepted = state
- I also read a saying of a great African wali Shehu Usman dan Fodio that if you give sadaqa after Asr on Friday your dua is accepted and your sins forgiven = deed

So there is an intersection of time, state and good deeds when dua is accepted. Or overlapping layers. So the theory is the more of these dua acceptance moments intersect, the more likely the dua is accepted. You will find there are other times and places like this too.

+1 -0Like x 1