report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#32 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 10:55
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

This is an hour and 38 minutes long video.

Can you give the gist of it and explain why and how Shaykh Yasir Qadhi says calculations is the way forward, Jzk.

What is his conclusion?

Use calculations for guidance?
Use calculations to determine if a sighting was incorrectly reported?
Use calculations to start the month if the moon is not seen after sunset?
Use calculations to determine that the moon has been born and make an announcement before sunset?

What is his view and what is he trying to promote?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#33 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 12:08
ive listened to about an hour and seems like he is saying follow calculations. if moon is there then begin/end month regardless if you see moon. as for the hadith about sighting he said seeing the moon is just the means to an end not the objective thus its not necessary to see it.

he also mentions scholars like imam subqi رضي الله عنه and imam abu hanfias teachers teacher both supported calucations.

he argues those who are against moon calculations why do they accept salah timetables.

i will listen to final half hour and report back if he says anything different.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#34 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 12:13
Jzk, I agree with parts of this but not all.

I'm sure what he is saying about NOT sighting the moon is incorrect. If it's not sighted, complete 30 days! It's simple

+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#35 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 12:34
he said those who argue sighting are kinda out dated and need to move with times. many of his arguments are more emotional and logical rather than islamic. eg he says in USA they are tryna make eid a national day off and some states already have it what good is sighting then it will cause embarassment.

he also said for the jaahil people it could make them leave islam if there are two eids and bickering ( not sure how so) as its the only time in year they pray

his other argument is those who work in high skilled jobs they cant get up and leave they need advance notice to let bosses know.

also he mentions hadith about 29/30 days we are an unlettered ummah. he said why do those who insist on sighting ignore rest of hadith, he said that hadith is khabr, just do 29 or 30 as were not learned in sciences of astronomy. but now we have full knowledge of it we should use the calculations. similar to how we use timetables for salah we can use for moon. sighting moon is just to alert u to start a month but if you know the moon is there for sure then thats it,
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#36 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 12:43
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

I book my holidays in January for both Eids based on calculations. So far so good.

This is a lame excuse - Calculations can benefit in such ways and it is something we use to aid us.

Also, what embarasment is he talking about? That we can't decide an when the moon appears?
Maybe he should abandon the Miswak too, carry an Oral B electric tooth brush! We shouldn't appear to be backwards people now should we?
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#37 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 13:20
First people need to understand what is Lunar Calendar, it can be 29 or 30 each month depending on the moon sighting which is easily accessible. Technology is flaw, prone to errors. Why are we having fixes, updates, patches in Windows version ???

If we deviate from Sunnah, we have to apply patch till the end. That's eternal and we will not achieve the result.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#38 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 14:15
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

i agree most of his arguments were weak but his main argument was visual is the default positon but now that we have technology its no harm in using it and unity comes first. the prophet and early muslims didnt have access to technology hence for them it was simple 29 / 30 but now we know for 100% moon is born then its fine
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#39 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 15:42
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

Still a rubbish argument!

We have tech, He (saw) had Jibreel عليه السلام

Jibreel عليه السلام could've told him every month if needed, but no, He (saw) has taught us to "sight" the moon

Jibreel عليه السلام once notified the Prophet of the coming of the new moon when He (saw) kept himself in his house until the new month was to start. (I can't recall the story, but this is related to the same Hadith we use as evidence to prove that the Prophets shadow was seen by one of his wives and she recognised him from there and the same Hadith regarding an incident that took place which upset the Prophet (saw) and for that reason, he kept himself away from his wives for some time)

The moon being born doesn't make it the 1st of the month. The new moon is black with no crescent - it could take hours before it even has a visible crescent.

Yes we can calulate when the crescent can be seen and from it can be seen - But the great Sunnah of positive and negative sightings will be abandoned.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#40 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 16:57
as you know this not a fav topic i cant get my head around a lot of the stuff apart from saudi always seeing a moon when its no possible. what about his argument of using calculations for salah but not moon? also that hadith about ummah being unlettered hence for them sight moon 29th if not do 30.

my understanding is moon MUST be sighted. even if technology is telling us 100% there is new moon and its 100% visible with naked eye but if we fail to see it we will do full 30.

according to him though we no longer need to physically see it if we know its definitely there as purpose of looking for it is to start month which we can now do without seeing it.

back to main topic. did saudi see moon with that ccd thing?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#41 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 17:07
Quote:
hadith about ummah being unlettered

islamqa.info/en/answers/4713/what-is-the-meaning-of-the-h... A very good read too

Quote:
my understanding is moon MUST be sighted. even if technology is telling us 100% there is new moon and its 100% visible with naked eye but if we fail to see it we will do full 30.

Good :)

Quote:
did saudi see moon with that ccd thing?

Did you see the video from Muadh's tweet?
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#42 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 18:20
Yes but can't understand what they are saying it's all in Arabic. Looks like they using a very powerful telescope to find hilal during daylight. Is it possible to see moon before setset with right tools? Also was it them who Saudi used as their witness
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#43 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2019 07:54
Its better to follow Sunnah, Sahaba (RA) saw with their visible eyes in Uhud, and the victory was apparent.
I learnt this from Uhud
"Though you see THE BENEFIT with your own eyes, and if its against the saying/teachings of Rasool SAW - I'll avoid."

(s.a.w.)(s.a.w.)(s.a.w.)(s.a.w.)(s.a.w.)
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#44 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2019 17:15
Thank You for sharing this Ramadan Calendar
+0 -1Dislike x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#45 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2019 00:02
I noticed after tarawih its a half moon out tonight which i guess means its 7th night. But those who did local sighting tonight is our 6th. Does that mean we should now skip to a day forward?
+0 -0Facepalm x 2