Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

tafseer class hosted by ustaad nouman ali khan

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 30th August 2016 18:01
Event Information
Event Date: 1st September 2016
Event Time: From 07:00pm To 09:00pm
Venue: AlHuda Welfare Foundation UK 14 Wangey Rd Chadwell
Countdown: Finished.
Al Huda would like to invite you to a special seminar hosted by Ustaad Nouman Ali Khan

TAFSEER CLASS

Thursday 1st September 2016
7:00pm to 9:00pm

The Class is Free & Open for all Brothers & Sisters. No Registration Required

Kindly park sensibly in the car park areas or across the building. DO NOT block any driveways and DO NOT park on a single yellow line. Otherwise you may be fined or get a ticket.

Please be considerate of our neighbours and keep the noise levels at minimum.

Nearest Train Station: Chadwell Heath Station (Overground)
Buses: 86, 368, 62, 173 & 362
Please park at Mayfair car par area.
(Sat Nav code RM6 4DS)
Otherwise you can use council car parking sites at
1) Cedar Park Gardens, opposite Alhuda or
2) Next to Chadwell Heath Station.

Venue: AlHuda Welfare Foundation UK
14 Wangey Road
Chadwell Heath
Romford
RM6 4AJ
(Entrance from Cedar Park Gardens)
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 30th August 2016 21:02
regarding NAKs lecture on sunday i wanted to discuss something he mentioned, before i do i dont want this to turn into a debate about music being haraam or not.

he was doing tasfir of surah takathur and spend a while on the world alhaa. as you know his arabic is mashAllah excellent and went in depth about the meaning. he then gave examples of other places the word is used and he recited the ayah most scholar use to say music is haram. i dont know the arabic or ayah no but it translates along the lines' and inded man purchaces idle talk.....' and ibn abbas رضي الله عنه is reported to have said this is referring to music hence its haram.

NAK explaned the background to the verse and said the makkans would be drawn in by the beauty of the Quran ( why wouldnt they if ajmis like us can mesmorised imagine them) and in order to stop the masses from listening to rasoolullah (saw) and his sahaba reciting the Quran they chiefs paid dancing/singing women to perform on streets like how we have concerts in order to take people away from the Quran.

NAK did not say music is halal by the way but just mentioned the background of it. what i want to know if this is the background of the verse why do scholars try is it to make music haram? i dont consider music halal by the way but just dont agree if and when people twist and misuse ayahs and hadith to make their points false. im sure there are plenty of other proofs to show music is haram.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2016 02:55
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

ٱلسَّلَامُ عَلَيكُم وَ رَحمَةُٱللهِ وَ بَرَكَاتُه

I am still unclear about what you are asking.

However, please read the Tafseer of the Aayah, perhaps it answers your query.

www.islamicstudies.info/quran/maarif/maarif.php?sura=31
Posted via the Muftisays Android App
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2016 10:47
apologies if i wasnt making myself clear. what i meant was why do deo scholars as well as others who say music is haram use a verse which is totally irrelevant to prove their point
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2016 10:49
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

I don't think that's why they use it as there are plenty of Hadith for that. I guess it is to show the beauty of the Quran itself (as a fraction of the other countelss beauties of the Quran)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2016 11:53
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

they do though, amount of books and bayans i been to where imam has said music is haram and then use the hadith of ibn abbas رضي الله عنه commenting on that verse as evidence. as you said there are plenty of other hadith that prove music is haram why not use the, by using this ayah it just makes them lose credibility and trustworthiness.

it reminds me of tableeghis who despite there being numerous ayahs and hadith on the virtues of tableegh and dawah they still want to use ayah and hadith which have nothing to do with tableegh/dawah. it does them no favours

another example is the status of rasoolullah (saw) they are plenty of ayahs and sahih hadith about his greatness and status yet people still want to quote some weak or fabricated fairytales in order to portray his greatness
No post ratings
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2016 14:04
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

As-salam-alaykum:

Forgive me for being a little thick in the head, but is there something wrong with using the tafseer of Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas r.a. to show that music is not permitted?
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2016 17:24
abuzayd2k wrote:
View original post

salam

not sure thats what im trying to find out myself. had anyone asked me on sunday morning why music was haram i too would have used the hadith of abbas رضي الله عنه explanation of the verse but having heart NAK give the background to the verse i no longer see it as relevent or anything to do with music being haram. i must stress again NAK did not say music is halal but merely said why the verse was revealed and was talking about things that distract one from islam in general.

this verse was revealed when people would listen to singing women who were paid by the cheifs of makkah to stop the makkans from listening to the Quran instead. abbas رضي الله عنه just said this is what the verse was talking about. dont know how this verse can then be used to say music is haram
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2016 20:42
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

السلام عليكم

It has nothing to do with "deos" bro, it's a view firmly rooted in classical scholarship.

mkdon101 wrote:
i dont consider music halal by the way but just dont agree if and when people twist and misuse ayahs and hadith to make their points false. im sure there are plenty of other proofs to show music is haram.

[emphasis mine]

This is a serious claim (or a big "if").

Refer to Tafsīr Ibn Kathīr, hopefully it does away with your doubts:

Tafsīr Ibn Kathīr (31:6).

Probably the biggest question for you is, when so many high-ranking Ṣaḥābah (رضي الله عنهم) and ʿUlamāʾ use and refer to this Āyah for the prohibition of music, why do you have a problem and what justification do you have to raise such doubts without completely understanding the issue?
+3 -0Like x 1Winner x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2016 22:17
samah wrote:
View original post

salam

i just happened to see mufti abdur rahman today and asked him about it. he said simular to the ealier post by Abu Mohammed that this is not a strong argument for music being haram and its just a supplementary evidence. he did however also say those scholars who make leeway for music they too use the same verse to back their opinion.

as for your final statement ibn abbas رضي الله عنه didnt himself say music was haram in that hadith. he just commented on that verse about people purchasing idle talk is referring to music. my issue was he was refering to specific incident which was the chiefs of makkah getitng women to sing and dance so the people do not hear and get attracted to the quran. anyways i got the answer i was looking for so im satisfied now. ps just to reiterate i DONT consider music to be allowed
+2 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 1st September 2016 14:28
I wrote a long post and then thought otherwise. I think we should trust our ulema more and not be easily swayed when we hear or appear to hear strange things by other individuals.

+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 1st September 2016 14:58
By the way this event today is being hosted locally to me in the Al Huda centre. I know many women who have gone to this place and been brainwashed against deobandis and have adopted salafism. I would urge my sisters to take caution.
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 1st September 2016 15:57
london786 wrote:
View original post

salam shaykh ;)

its very well and easy to say so and so are being brainwashed but fact is what are we doing about it. how many deo mosques and scholars do talks and events where sisters can go and listen? its like we expect them to stay at home watching filth and dramas but yet turn out liek aisha رضي الله عنه and rabia basri رضي الله عنه.

beside NAK far as i know is ok i dont see any reason why one shouldnt listen to him he doesnt really delve into fiqh and aqeedah issues
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 1st September 2016 16:23
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

brother about brother nouman I like him as a person for 2 main factors. He brought a lot of people close to the Quran and made arabic more accessible. There are however issues that need looking at. Of particular interest is a clip where he is munching on a burger and chips and drink with abu layth. In there the kind of stuff he says and seems to be inclining to is very very dangerous. He was coming out with his own understanding whilst looking down on the understanding of the scholars of the past. If you are interested I am sure there are brothers who am aware of the clip and will post it if need be. Now you might say that what's the big deal it is a slip which I can understand but it is a symptom of bigger issues.

About your other point about us giving women more space I agree with you on this point.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 1st September 2016 16:49
salam

i was unaware of that but with people like NAK and some like Yasir Qadhi i apply the 'take the good and leave the bad' approach. i cant deny their seerah and tasfir lessons are one of the best i heard. as for relaxing with abu layth a few years ago wasnt he like super popular? im sure even some of our scholars even shared platforms with him.

going back to our earlier point about our scholars lagging behind, this is the core problem. when i was in school and before youtube generation i remember nearly every week there were events taking place, shaykh ahmed ali, shaykh riyad coming azhar academy every month, youth tarbiya conferences, big conferences and alhamdulullah deos were leading the way. fast track now you look at all the main means which youth learn islam it is mostly if not all salafi dominated. there was a time i never ever even use to listen to non deo scholars, one of the reason was there was no need to cos our scholars were so prominent and in the forefront now well less i say the better.

i was shocked when i recently went to a deo mosque in east london and the imam was doing urdu bayan for jummah. come on guys. why is this going on? apart from few uncles majority of those sitting for jummah dont even understand urdu. also the topics alot of scholars talk about are either irrelevant or been done soo many times no one wants to hear it

+1 -0