Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Imam Zaid Shakir Authentic ?

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 15th May 2010 18:57
Asalamo alaykum

Does anyone know if Imam Zaid Shakir is Authentic or not ?
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 15th May 2010 21:57
wa 'alykumus salaam..never heard of him, where is he from?
No post ratings
Rank Image
westmidlands
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 16th May 2010 11:20
Zaid Shakir (born Ricky D. Mitchell, 1956) is a prominent American Islamic Scholar, and Writer, who moved with his family in 2003 to serve as a Professor and Lecturer at Zaytuna Institute in California, United States, where he now teaches regular courses on Arabic, Law, History, and Islamic Spirituality. He is a prominent American convert to Islam, and is one of the signatories of A Common Word Between Us and You, an open letter by Islamic scholars to Christian leaders, calling for peace and understanding.
Born in Berkeley, California, he accepted Islam in 1977 while serving in the United States Air Force, and shortly after changed his name to Zaid Salim Shakir. A summa cum laude graduate, he obtained a BA in International Relations at American University in Washington, D.C. and later earned his MA in Political Science at Rutgers University. While at Rutgers, he led a successful campaign for disinvestment from South Africa, and co-founded a local Islamic center, Masjid al-Huda. [[2]]

After a year of studying Arabic in Cairo, Egypt, he settled in New Haven, Connecticut and continued his community activism, co-founding Masjid al-Islam, the Tri-State Muslim Education Initiative, and the Connecticut Muslim Coordinating Committee. As Imam of Masjid al-Islam[1] from 1988 to 1994 he spear-headed a community renewal and grassroots anti-drug effort, also accepted the position as Professor and taught political science and Arabic at Southern Connecticut State University. He served as an interfaith council Chaplain at Yale University[2] and developed the Chaplaincy Sensitivity Training for physicians at Yale New Haven Hospital. Zaid Shakir now participates as a speaker in reviving the Islamic spirit.[[3]]

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 16th May 2010 20:17
Jazakallah..still we don't know the answer..sister in Islam your article mentions about him teaching at Zaytuna Institute,does anyone know about this institute?
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 17th May 2010 10:59
W-Salam,

Imam Zaid Shakir is very similar to Shaykh Hamza Yusuf in outlook and views. They have done a lot of good Dawah and work in California but I personally would rather stick to Ulama who are stronger upon the Sunnah.

Some of the work by Imam Zaid Shakir is actually very good intellectual refutations.

Jazakullah Khairun.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 17th May 2010 11:04
W-Salam,

In my younger years in America I have attended and also spoken at some ISNA events and I (along with many others) don't like the free-mixing and Sisters in tight clothes etc at these events.

Zaytuna has opened a college in US and although they should be commended for having the first Muslim college but its isn't right according to Shariah as you can google and look at girls/boys at the same table etc. in other words it looks a lot like a normal college.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 17th May 2010 16:27
personally i dont feel comfortable with anything (speaker/institution/website etc.) unless its strictly sharia'h compliant so i would not regard this speaker as strictly "authentic"....just an opinion
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 17th May 2010 18:58
Walaykum salaam,yes i agree with you both.Muadh Khan so a question if they are iffy then who are these people supposed to be following?..it makes it difficult if when we don't know what sect they belong to.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 18th May 2010 11:25

Quote:
Walaykum salaam,yes i agree with you both.Muadh Khan so a question if they are iffy then who are these people supposed to be following?..it makes it difficult if when we don't know what sect they belong to.

W-Salam Brother,

People have assumptions and they turn to Scholars and people of knowledge based on assumptions.

1) USA is pretty liberal and many American Muslims are seriously affected by the propaganda so as soon as they see a Muslim with a Sunnah Beard, they instinctively turn away

2) There are not many Ulama in USA, what we have are Imams which is some dude/dudette who has read a few books and can quote Arabic (wrongly and in a bad accent). It is common to listen to "English Khutbahs" in USA where the Imam is struggling to read the verses of the Qur'aan and then translating it wrongly or badly

There is a different class of immigrant Muslims (from India/Pakistan) who went to USA in the 60's. Most of them were university graduates and professionals from cities who were more influenced by Jamaat-e-Islami and their like rather than traditional Ulama. Their sons/daughters are simply influenced by their parents and following a similar path.

The same is true for Australia and New Zealand.

Our Ulama and religious people need to adopt a different tactic to appeal to this sort of crowd.

Immigrant Muslims (from India/Pakistan) into UK were primarily villagers who came and worked in factories and in their lives Ulama & Masjid Imam paid a vital part and their sons/daughters are simply influenced by their parents and life from back home.

The same applies to Canada to a large degree.

No post ratings
UK
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 18th May 2010 16:16
^ Very good post mashaAllah. Jazakallah
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd May 2010 21:46
Jazakallah..brother Muadh_Khan just a question irrelevant to the topic are you by any chance from khyber pukhthunkhwa (former N.W.F.P) ? If you are i want to ask about some things.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd May 2010 23:52
Salam, I've switched on private messaging for both you and Muadh if you wish to ask things in private.Wassalam
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 24th May 2010 10:30
shining light wrote:
Jazakallah..brother Muadh_Khan just a question irrelevant to the topic are you by any chance from khyber pukhthunkhwa (former N.W.F.P) ? If you are i want to ask about some things.

W-Salam,

No I am not as I was born, lived and went to School in Islamabad and then college in Karachi...

If you speak/understand Urdu then listen to Rana Saeed on AzaanTV about pukhthunkhwa.

Superb historical talk.

www.azaantv.tv/intellecttalk_detail.asp?str_mid=66

This should answer most of your questions.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 24th May 2010 18:28
Jazakallah Maulana Yasin sahab PM wont be necessary at the moment,maybe in the future..

Muadh khan let me see what they have to say..but i don't think the media is aware of what is happening as i/we see it from the inside.
No post ratings