Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Shaykh Omar Suleiman

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 18th August 2020 18:39
Assalaamu 'alaykum warahmatullah
Respected memebers, I need to know how reliable this shaykh is....Does anyone listen to his talks?

Found on Google:
Omar Suleiman is an American Muslim scholar, civil rights leader, writer, and public speaker. He is the Founder and President of Yaqeen Institute for Islamic Research, and an Adjunct Professor of Islamic Studies at Southern Methodist University.

It alos says he follows the Hambali madhab

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 18th August 2020 19:06
ummi taalib wrote:
View original post

W-Salam,

You tend to define the status of a Scholar in terms of Taqleed which may or may not be applicable these days.

Omar Suleiman has some problematic positions with regards to Homosexuality so whether he follows the Hanbali Madhab is irrelevant due to some of the Modernistic stances which he takes.

Thus in order to protect our religion, I would advise Muslims to listen to traditionally trained and classical Ulama and avoid Omar Suleiman but I am not a Madkhali who is going to through away all the good which he has done in America.

There are plenty of other choices of English speaking Ulama a person can listen to it.

+2 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 18th August 2020 21:24
Jazaakallaahu khayraa
yes best to be careful, thats why i asked for a young person who listens to all his talks and I dont like leaving it at, "I dont know who he is"

Also its not just about Taqleed. There are many experts in their fields and many who do a lot of good which should be acknowledged however they hold incorrect positions on important issues and its best to avoid their talks since as you say, there are plenty of choices Alhamdulillah
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 18th August 2020 22:50
Shaykh Omer Suleiman studied Islam at a University in UAE. He is doing his PHD thesis at the Islamic University of Malaysia.

The general lectures of his that I have heard are similar kind of motivational ones. Type that Yasmin Mogahed does.

The problem originates from his involvement in Political and Social activism. Organising protests on many issues with various liberal and non-muslim groups. He hasderived a significant following amongst non-muslim liberals because of that.

He has endorsed Muslim politicians who are pro Homosexuality and Pro Abortion. And other liberal agendas.
Has appeared at conferences featuring modernists and, progressive Islam advocates, etc.

In his defence he has stated just because he is endorsing certain politicians. It does not mean he is endorsing all their views. But at the same time he has refused to publically condemn the deviant positions of those individuals. The youth seeing his photographs with and his support on Social media for these individuals. Have seen it as an endorsement and those modernist people have gotten a large following from practicing muslim youth.

He and several others are mocked by their critics as "compassionate Imams."
That is their refusal to publically condemn deviant modernist positions on Homosexuality and feminism etc. His claims are we need to be compassionate and only advise people privately and in secret. His critics see him as a bridge between normative Islam and the progressive Islam.

So to summarise his general lectures are mostly motivational pep talks. But unfortunately the youth who follow him and who are inspired by him see or misconstrue every action of his as being Haq and are unable to defferentiate.

I hope that explains things, in my opinion best just to avoid all these American celebrity motivational speakers. Some of them even if they dont hold deviant positions sow confusion by making sugar coated and ambiguos statements. Because they dont want to be targetted and ostracised by the liberal American media.

+4 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 19th August 2020 08:37
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

Jazaakallaahu khayraa!
That was very informative. Makes sense as this young person seems devoted to him and listens to all his talks. I've never heard him talk so just did not know and I feel responsibility when someone asks.
Allah ta'ala guide us all
+0 -0Ameen x 4
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 19th August 2020 14:20

Unfortunately its a time of confusion. Hard to know who to recommend or not. Shaykh Omer Sulaiman makes the youth feel inspired about the deen.

Main problem is not his lectures but on facebook where he has a million followers and on twitter close to a million. Where he posts stuff on his political activism. And his website called Yaqeen institute were articles are posted. Purportedly in the defence of Islam. But written not by religious scholars but muslim university academics and professors. Who have written things that are controversial or sugar coated on some social and scientific issues. Which sowed confusion.

Then we also have youngsters who avoid Scholars altogether. Who think Scholars are backward molvis if you like. And instead follow guys making Dawah type of videos who have Zero training or religious education are often self taught. Those who do have education its usually degrees in other fields. But because the youth feel more able to relate to them. And many of them are more articulate then madrassah trained Scholars. More aware of Social media and active on all platforms. They attract a huge following on youtube, Instagram, facebook, twitter etc. Although most of them are sincere and doing good work. The lack of classical training leads to lots of mistakes by them.

Then we have other youngsters some only teenagers involved in making videos and stuff about deen. Because its cool. They get a cult following attract groupies. They become addicted to the fame, the adulation,. Also money they accrue from adverts on their various social network accounts. They are another type of fitnah.

Then we have youngsters who have zero understanding of the deen. But only watch the debate type of videos and arguments between muslims and non-muslims and visit channels presented by atheists and Christians dedicated to attacking or questioning or mocking Islam. Intially for entertainment and then to learn the counter arguments against non-muslims but end up getting confused or mesmerised by the arguments of the Atheists and losing Imaan altogether. Its happened to many.

To summarise. Unwillingness to follow traditionally trained Scholars amongst many youth is a bigger fitnah. And an unwillingness by many youngsters involved in Dawah on the internet in spending several years to become classically trained. Why go through all that effort when you can possibly achieve an instant following if you have knowledge of technology and advertising. To be fair many of them are part time students of the deen or do seek advice from Scholars for their dawah.

But in this era the youngsters who follow celebrity speakers like Mufti Menk, Yasir Qadhi. Are in a much better and safer position then those who follow the internet celebrities..

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 19th August 2020 17:30
The way you have explained it, definitinely time of confusion and fitnah. Its a very worrying situation
Ok so I have one more request.

I did recommend Mufti Menk, who she said she listened to now and then. I recommended Mufti AR Mangera sahib and also Shaykh Hasan Ali who she afterwards said she learnt a lot from and "he was funny"

Can you recommend some realiable speakers which the youth can relate to? I dont know that many and it would be a great help insha-allah
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 19th August 2020 19:21
ummi taalib wrote:
View original post

These two are good and the latter can be funny which is also good.

Shaykh Zahir Mahmood is also very good, serious and funny. Appeals to the youth too.

Try not to recommend people who try to be too politically correct as they can make serious errors even though it is not their belief.
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 19th August 2020 23:46
ummi taalib wrote:
View original post

I would never recommend Mufti Menk.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 20th August 2020 16:17
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Jazaakallaah for this...I've never heard the shaykh's talks
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 20th August 2020 16:17
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

due to recent events i think...
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 20th August 2020 17:35
ummi taalib wrote:
View original post

There are multiple fatwaas on Mufti Menk from South Africa long before any discussions on Muftisays, all of them are utterly baseless.

It is not befitting for a Muslim to speak about someone's private affairs and it is shameful that some of the South African Ulama went there with Mufti Menk without basis.

It has made no difference and popularity of Mufti Menk has grown exponentially anyways

You have to understand the "modus-operandi", hate comes first and justification later...If you truly hate someone, justification can be found in their text, talks easily.

Barelwees and Ahl-e-Hadeeth find extensive hate material in the Deobandi Ulama which can be interpreted in two ways.

One particular aspect of Mufti Menk's private life when viewed according to "Hanafi Madhab" was targeted, when I spoke to some of the South African Ulama behind the Fatwa I asked them Hazrat Thanwi (RA) permitted aspects of this matter so why have you issued Fatwa on this? And importantly, why don't you tell laymen the issue and the background instead of clouding it in mystery.

You have taken objection to something in his personal life, make it public and clear and let the public decide and I guarantee you that backlash against you will be catastrophic

But they didn't, they shrouded it in secrecy that Mufti Menk doesn't make Taqleed properly and his father is angry at him etc.

We live in sad times.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 20th August 2020 18:26
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Whats makes you think anyone is referring to the Muftis personal matters.

Maybe its his hot potched apologetic interview with the Danish radio station. That happened recently.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 20th August 2020 18:42
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 20th August 2020 19:41
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

You are not. This is what the first sentence of my post reads, let me highlight a few words:

There are multiple fatwaas on Mufti Menk from South Africa long before any discussions on Muftisays, all of them are utterly baseless.

No post ratings