Media Player
Report: (login required)
Sevdim Seni Mabuduma

Sevdim seni ben mabuduma canan diye sevdim
Bir ben değil alem sana hayran diye sevdim

Evlad-ı iyalden geçerek ben ravzana geldim
ahlakını methetmede Kur'an diye sevdim

Kurbanın olam Şa-ı Rusül kovma kapından
Didarına müştak olan yezdan diye sevdim.

Mahşerde nebiler bile senden medet ister
Gül yüzlü melekler sana hayran diye sevdim.

~~~

English translation:

I love you because you are the beloved one of my God
I love you because not just I but all of creation admires you

Passing by the household, I came to your Raudha
I love you as the Qur'an praises your character

Please, do not turn me away from your door Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.)
I love you as a worshiper of God, longing for your face

Even the Prophets will ask you for help on the Day of Hashr
I love you because rose-faced angles admire you.

~~~
Notes: The author is unknown but the language has a lot of Persian words in it (I had to rely heavily on my dictionary when translating). Alhamdulillah, this ilahi was also covered on SF.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd December 2013 11:12
Such a beautiful ilahi :) also so beautifully translated :)
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd December 2013 12:04

Sisters,

Evlad-ı iyalden: Persian origin but the pronunciation is different, did the Turks always spoke like this or did this change? I mean to ask did the changing of Ottoman script to latin script had an impact on pronunciation as well?

Same goes for canan (Jaanan) and words like that...Why did they chose to spell it this way but the pronunciation is different? I saw old tombstones in Anatolia with Ottomon script and I could read and understand it fine and they are spelled as they sound (I ofcourse couldn't determine the pronunciation)

Jaanan is the same in Persian, Urdu, Turkish, Kurdish

Can you shed some light on pronunciation? Do the past generations also speak with the present pronunciation or is it a new thing developed in the last 70-80 years?

A Turkish Scholar was conducting a Tajweed class in Germany with his Hifdh students so we all decided to attend the class (Masha'Allah) and we were tested on Tajweed (Beautiful experience). Don't want to tell you what happened, next ofcourse :p but I have a lot of questions about pronunciation...

Beautiful, Masha'Allah.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd December 2013 15:56
JazakAllah khayran AishaZaynab :)

Brother Muadh_Khan, I am sure the changes made a difference though in different parts of Turkey, you'll notice differences in the way Turkish is spoken. I posted this elsewhere but I'll post it here as well to give you a better idea of the scale of change from an Arabic script to Latin (the first line is the Arabic/Persian letter, the second line is Latin spelling of the letter, the third line is the letter that replaced it, the fourth line is the sound the new letter makes - notice how many letters just came to be represented by one letter, one sound):

(sorry, I saved it with the 'h' highlighted throughout but really, you'll notice many letters and sounds were affected by the changes - like the 'w' (which apparently was always a 'v' sound??? Though, Kurds use 'w'.).

By the way, I am in no way an authority on the Turkish language and I've only had minimal instruction in it so I can not get into the technical aspects of the language but could insha'Allah try to look stuff if needed. I have no experience with Ottoman Turkish hence my reliance on Redhouse.

As for Turkish words like 'can' or 'canan' they spell it different from 'jaanan' because the 'c' and 'j' make very different sounds in Turkish. The 'j' is like the 'je' in French. the 'c' is like the 'j' in the english word 'jam.' I hope that clarifies it - at least in terms of this particular word.

Many words used in this poem are no longer in use in day-to-day speech in Turkey. I don't even know if they ever were part of regular speech or if they were used more by poets or as part of the language of administrators.

With this particular reading, you'll note he makes an ayn sound when saying 'iyalden' and I noticed not everyone reads those words the same way (with that ayn sound). In fact, if you gave this to a Turk to read it, they more than likely would not make the ayn sound.

One last thing insha'Allah, as with many areas around the world, people across Turkey speak the language slightly different from region-to-region; and, there are other dialects that are spoken in various parts of the country as well.

Wa'assalaam
+2 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2013 10:21

Acacia wrote:
View original post

JazakAllah khayran AishaZaynab :)

So Sisters name can be spelled as AishaZaynab or AishaZaynap in Turkish? Would Turks pronounce her name as "Zaynab" either way or would the choice of letters used affect their pronunciation?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2013 14:27
In Turkish, it is spelled Zeynep (and there is no other form of spelling that I am aware of). Yes, the choice of letters would affect the pronunciation. The sisters username is not spelled in Turkish. Also, the pronunciation is quite different with the 'e' and 'p'.

Also, Aisha would be splled: Ayşe (no other form of spelling of the name that I'm aware of).

By the way, while we are on usernames, Acacia would be spelled Akasya in Turkish.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2013 14:45

Acacia wrote:
View original post

Zaynab ends with a "b" so according to the chart either "b" or "p" could be used or am I misunderstanding something?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2013 14:52
Brother, it may be but I've never encountered it actually spelled in any other way in Turkish. Perhaps people were already using the 'pe' rather than the 'be' in Arabic script prior to the changes? I really honestly have no idea.

By the way, the 'p' at the end would change to a 'b' when the word takes suffixes. For example, to say belonging to Zeynep, you would simply write: Zeynebin.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2013 15:14
Acacia wrote:
View original post

I am scared to post on this forum as any further query would just get split and moved on some destination where it doesn't make any sense.

Jazakallahu Khayran for your help. I will print your chart and seek someone Turkish about the rest.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2013 17:25
Akasya- Acacia :) oo thats so cool :)
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 4th December 2013 17:32
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Wa iyyaka. The chart isn't mine - I took it from the link I noted at the bottom of the chart (in blue)... take a look at that site too insha'Allah.

There is another resource that was really useful in the other thread on Turkish. I'll try to find it and link it here for you.

~~~

Here is the other thread insha'Allah: www.muftisays.com/forums/14-peoples-say/7940-turkish-and-... and here is a source that I link to in that thread: www.spellingsociety.org/journals/j18/turkish.php

Brother Muadh_Khan, please feel free to contribute on the other thread insha'Allah. The more you ask, the more I have to search and learn alhamdulillah!

+1 -0Like x 1

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Remote' written in?