Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Cleaner wins acclaim (Muslim employee)

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 13th July 2010 16:14
This should have been a headline.
Source: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/10603417.stm

A Pakistani hotel employee has won acclaim after handing in over $50,000 (£33,000) in cash that had been left behind by a guest.

Essa Khan, 51, discovered the money in $100 notes left in the room of a Japanese worker at the Serena Hotel in Gilgit.

Mr Khan, who earns about 21,000 rupees ($235; £153) a month, says he never considered keeping the money.

He has been invited to receive an award from a state governor for his honesty.

"My duty with the hotel and my family upbringing teaches me nothing else," he said.

"Times are hard for everyone, but that doesn't mean we should start stealing and taking things which do not belong to us."
'Relieved'

The father-of-five says he hopes the incident will help portray his country in a good light.

The Pakistani government has been riddled with accusations of corruption.

"I want people around the world to know that there are many good people in Pakistan - everybody is not a terrorist here."

Hotel manager Rajid Uddin told the BBC there had been similar instances where lost items had been returned, but none "on this magnitude".

He said the guest had been relieved when the cash was found.

"He was naturally very worried as he wasn't able to figure out where he had lost the money," he said.

Mr Khan said he had already received an award from the hotel, and that Salman Taseer, the governor of Punjab, had congratulated him and invited him to Lahore for a ceremony.

--------
As a Muslim, it was not permissible for him to take it. In the article, he's refered to as "Pakistani" on every line. If he took the money, they would have called him "Muslim hotel employee" instead of "Pakistani hotel employee" - I am almost certain of that (Personal view)
report post quote code quick quote reply
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 13th July 2010 19:21
Funny how this is not headline news in the UK!

I definitely agree that yes he would have been called a "muslim hotel employee" if he had taken the money
Rank Image
westmidlands
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 14th July 2010 09:19
And i agree with you.

May Allah bless this man for his honesty.