Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, Moonlight, Yasin, fod1083, abuzayd2k
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#46 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 17:54
ssaad wrote:
View original post
South America and Australia are reporting outbreaks and it is still spreading.

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#47 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 18:15
From Reddit. Any thoughts?

Quote:
From an Italian to the rest of the world: you have no idea about what's coming.

(First thing first I'm sorry for any eventual grammar errors but English isn't my first lenguage
Second, this is a repost because in another sub people asked me to post it on r/Coronavirus but it doesn't accept it, so I came here as the rules advised).

As I think everybody knows, Italy is on quarantine because of the coronavirus outbreak. That means that everybody has to stay home unless you've got valid reasons to go out.
This situation is bad, but what's worse is seeing the rest of the world behaving as if nothing's going to happen to them.
We know what you're thinking because we were in your place too.

Let's see how thing developed (keep in mind it all happened in around 2 weeks):

STAGE 1. You know that coronavirus exists, and the first cases begin to appear in your country. Well, nothing to worry about, it's just a bad flu! I mean I'm not 75+yo so what could possibly happen to me? I'm safe, everybody is overreacting, what's the need to go out with masks and stock toilet paper? I'm going to live my life as usual, there's no need to freak out.

STAGE 2. The number of cases begins to be significant. They declare "red zone" and quarantine one or two small cities where they found the first cases and a lot of people were infected (~22/02). Well that's sad and somewhat worrisome but they're taking care of it so nothing to panic about. There are some deaths but they're all old people with other pathologies so the media is just trying to create panic for views, how shameful. People lead their life as usual, I mean I'm not going to stop going out and meeting my friends and so on am I? There's no need to. It's not going to get me. Everybody's fine here.

STAGE 3. The number of cases is rapidly going up. They almost doubled in one day. There's more deaths. They declare red zones and quarantine the 4 regions where the majority of cases are registered (7/03). In Italy at this point 1/4 of the county is under quarantine, schools and universities are closed in these areas but bars, work places, restaurants and so on are still open. The decree gets released by some newspaper before it should so around 10k people from the red zone escape from the area that same night to return to their homes in the rest of Italy (this will be important later). Most of the population of the remaing 3/4 of Italy still does what it always does, a portion of the quarantined too. They still don't realize the seriousness of the situation. I mean yes, everywhere you turn they talk about the coronavirus, they advise to wash your hands and limit your going out, assemblies of large numbers of people are forbidden and so on, every 5 minutes on TV they remind you of these rules. But it still hasn't settled in people's minds.

STAGE 4. The number of cases is heavily increasing. Schools and universities are closed everywhere for at least a month. It's a national health emergency. Hospitals are at capacity, entire units are cleared to make space for coronavirus patients. There aren't enough doctors and nurses, they're calling retired ones and those who are in the last 2 years of university, there's no shifts any more, just work as much as you can. Of course doctors and nurses are getting infected, spreading it to their families and so on. There's too many cases of pneumonia, too many people who need ICU and not enough places for everyone. The same goes for respiraty aids (I don't know if that's the correct name). At this point is like being at war: doctors have to choose who to treat based on their survival chance, that means that the elderly and trauma/stroke patients can't get treated because corona cases have the priority. There's not enough resources for everybody so they have to be distributed for the best outcome. I wish I was joking but it's literally what has been happening. People have died because there wasn't any more space, I have a doctor friend who called me devasteted because he had to let 3 people die that day, nurses crying because they see people dying in front of them and can't do anything aside from offering some oxygen. A friend's relatice died yesterday of corona because they couldn't treat him. Chemios have been delayed until further notice. It's chaos, the system is collapsing. Coronavirus and the crisis it's provoking is all you hear about everywhere.

STAGE 5. Rember the 10k idiot who ran from the red zone to the rest of Italy? Well, the entire country has to be declared under quarantine (9/03). The goal is to delay the spreading of the virus as much as possible. People can go to work, do the grocery shopping, go to the farmacy, and all businesses are still open because otherwise the economy would collapse (it already is), but you can't move from your comune (which is like a municipality I guess) unless you have a valid reason. Now there's fear, you see a lot of people with masks and gloves around but there are still are people who think that they're invincible, who go to restaurants in large groups, hang out with friends to drink and so on. Next step.

STAGE 6. 2 days later, it's announced that all (most) businesses are closed: bars, restaurants, shopping centers, all kinds of shops etc. Everything except supermarkets and pharmacies. You can move around only if you have an autocertification with you, which is an official document in which you declare your name, where you're coming from, where you're going and what for. There are a lot of police check points, if you're found outside without a valid reason you risk a fine up to €206, and if you're a known positive patient you risk from 1 to 12 years of jail for homicide.

So that's what the situation is like now today as of the 12/03.
Keep in mind that it all happened in around 2 weeks, 5 DAYS FROM STAGE 3 TO NOW.

The rest of the world apart from Italy, China and Korea is just now beginning to reach the other stages, so let me tell you this: you have no idea what's coming to get you. I know because 2 weeks ago I was the one who had no idea and though that it wasn't that bad. But it is. And not because the virus alone is particularly dangerous or deadly, but for all the consequences it brings. It's hard to see all these countries act like it's not coming and not taking the precautions that are necessary for the well-being of its citizens while they still can, so please if you're reading this try to act in your best interest.
This problem isn't going to solve itself by ignoring it. Just wondering how many undiscovered cases there might be in America alone is scary, and they're in for a big, big trouble because of how their country is run.

Our government for once did a good job I must say. The actions taken were drastic but necessary, and this may be the only way to limit the spreading. It's working in China so we hope it will work here to (it's already working in some of the first red zones which we're quarantined before everybody else). Also they're taking measures to protect us citizens such as suspending mortgage payments for next months, help for shop owners who were obligated to close and so on.

I realize that these takes are really difficult, if not impossible, to take in some countries and it's really worrying to think about what it could mean in global scale. I see a very dark time ahead of us all over the world and it makes me so angry to see all these countries not taking action while they can.
I wonder if this pandemic will be a turning point in our society, what do you think?

So guys, if there are cases where you live, then the virus is spreading, and you're maybe 1 or 2 weeks behind us, but you'll get to our point eventually.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take any precaution you can take, don't act like it's not going to get you, and, if you can, STAY HOME.

(Avete capito italiani? STATE. A. CASA.)

Edit: although this is tagged as unverified content, you can talk to any Italian and they will tell you that the situation is exactly this. My goal isn't to create panic but to inform people about what's really going on.
I may add that yes, you can go out to walk your dog and go grocery shopping but you have to follow the 1 metre rule (people are literally avoiding each other as much as possible on the streets) and you need to have your autocertification with you. Everybody is strongly advised to stay home unless for basic necessities, and at this point whoever goes out without a real reason is an idiot. Some "campaigns" have been launched to sensibilize people to stay home (like #iorestoacasa, litelly "i stay home"). Also some factories and other workplaces like that are still running, but at least in my city everything else is closed, from shops to bars to restaurant.
Also yes, there's food for everybody and it's guaranteed by the government that it will stay this way.
The best way to stop the spreading is to reduce human contact as much as possible, if you can stay home!

www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fhxap2/from_an_italia...
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#48 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 18:18
Also from Reddit.

Quote:
I am an ICU doctor. You all need to take this seriously.

The COVID-19 Coronavirus is a huge threat to you and those you love. It is not the flu. It is much worse.

I'm taking a few minutes now to write here because too many people are sticking their heads in the sand about this. Even some hospital workers are downplaying the severity. That behavior is bravado and it is stupid and inexcusably reckless.

I'm also taking the time now because I genuinely believe we're not going to be able to deal with the surge pretty soon. I feel I must say that I am not very prone to hysterics. I deal with severely ill and dying people for a living, and I am telling you this is a big deal.

I don't mean to insult those who know that already, but many haven't grasped the seriousness of this situation.

Things are going to get much worse over the coming days and weeks. There is no cause to panic, and panic only makes things worse. Instead, use your head. Do not say this will all be fine and you're not going to modify your behavior.

Don't gather with people. Avoid in-person contact wherever possible. That includes public transit, and if you absolutely must use it anyway, at least try to avoid peak hours. I know this isn't realistic for everyone. Do what you can.

Do. Not. Touch. Your. Face. There's nothing funny about this. I know it's hard to be vigilant. Don't touch your face anyway. If you don't have a reliable presence of mind to not do it, wear winter gloves to remind yourself, or something. Anything. Just don't touch your face.

Disinfect inanimate non-food objects you're concerned might be contaminated with a dilute bleach solution. Wash your hands often with soap and clean water, and make sure you're washing vigorously each time and for as long as it takes to sing the "happy birthday" song twice. Use hand sanitizer when you can't use a sink if possible.

Why is this so important? Maybe you're 25 years old. Your risk of death is below 1%, right?

First, you can spread the disease for days and days before you start to feel sick. Maybe you'll spread it to people at higher risk, or maybe the low-risk people you infect will infect others at higher risk. Avoiding spread is the most effective way of preventing deaths, and if you have a conscience you will feel terrible if someone gets sick or dies because of your negligence.

Second, your risk of getting seriously ill is much higher than your risk of dying. No one wants the young to die. We as doctors know they can almost always be saved with maximal care...the kind that takes up a ton of resources. When that happens, you're going to require hospitalization and take us away from the people who are actively dying. Some of them will die because we can't devote all our resources to them.

We have limited resources, and they're going to be spread even thinner very soon.

I'm obligated to say that none of what I've stated here should be taken as medical advice, and your experience and risk may vary, and talk to your own doctor (please call, don't go in person if you can avoid it). I am not your doctor, and I hope I won't be. Listen to the World Health Organization recommendations ( www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019 ). Reduce the risk to yourself and the people you're in contact with however you safely can.

Take this seriously. You are in danger. The people you love are in danger. Don't be stoic about this. Be careful.

Addendum: I feel I need to add some disclaimers. First, I apologize but I can't answer most of the questions being asked. I'm not in a position to comment on social, political, or economic considerations. The views I express here represent my own alone, and not necessarily those of any other person, group, or institution.

Most importantly, not panicking is truly both necessary and appropriate. Panic makes pretty much nothing better. A level of healthy vigilance and reasonable precautions are appropriate. Listen to the health authorities, and take their advice, definitely above my own. Just be reasonable, and be careful.

www.reddit.com/r/TrueOffMyChest/comments/fhgjrm/i_am_an_i...
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#49 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 18:26
The 'fall out' from the corona virus and the havoc it will cause may be worse than the virus itself.

+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 2
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#50 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 18:26

ssaad wrote:
View original post

You are incorrectly and incompletely asking about the wrong theory of Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology.

He is absolutely wrong, there is no truth in any of his non-sense!

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#51 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 18:56
ssaad wrote:
View original post

What do you mean by that?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#52 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 19:06
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Depending on which post you are now quoting, you can click on the icon in the post next to the time of the post (has a little note with a pen when an edit is carried out).

(this is a new feature with multiple benefits)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#53 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 19:15
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Jazakallah khair. Icon is too small on my phone. Had to use landscape mode to click on it.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#54 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 19:34
Loading tweet
+1 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#55 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 20:51
+3 -0Like x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#56 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 20:58
Should masajid and madaris close?
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#57 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 21:03
xs11ax wrote:
View original post
I fear that is a "next step" that is coming. It may not be necessary where you are now, but it may become necessary.

No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#58 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 21:33

In Need of Teaching wrote:
View original post

Governor has ordered all religious Services in our state to be shut down, there was no Jumuah today throughout our entire state and no Service in any Chruch on Saturday or Sunday.

+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#59 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 21:49
We have a long history of references that will give us a solution

I'm sure the Ulama will find the answer.

Most likely, they will say that Masajid will remain closed due to the current test from Allah and we will be given examples of such incidents.

There was a time in history when there would be no Salah in Masjid e Nabawi due to fitnah the imam would lead Salah in a drunk state....The Kabah had burnt down before being reconstructed, there was a major fire in the Masjid where the prophets (saw) resting place is, Makkah was flooded in the 40's and then there was the siege in the 70's and life carried on

We can only ask Allah to protect us all.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#60 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2020 22:30
People are deluding themselves if they think they there's any stopping this. Sure you should take precautions, by limiting unnecessary social interaction, but irrespective of how much hand sanitiser you use, it's only delaying the inevitable. The only advantage to closing large public events, travel bans is that it will slow down the spread of the virus and therefore prevent health services from being overwhelmed, but as gorwth is exponential the breaking point will come sooner or later. Vast majority of those being infected are getting no medical help whatsoever, they're simply told to self isolate and ride it out. Only the seriously ill are being submitted to hospital. Those with underlying health conditions e.g. high blood pressure, those with some form of cardiovascular, conditions, obesity, smokers etc. have a higher risk of fatality, but even then lets put things into perspective, there's a 3 to 4 % chance of it being fatal. This is obviously a lot lower for those who are younger and with good health.
+0 -0Agree x 1

Jump to page: