You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, Moonlight, Yasin, fod1083, abuzayd2k
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#211 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2020 17:50
Was quite surprised to read the following. Maybe we shouldn’t be surprised as this topic has been mentioned by one of the members on here.

NHS officials told me Muslim households are particularly vulnerable to coronavirus – it’s important to understand why

As the crisis develops, it’s likely that trauma will spread through communities whose shared culture is built around precisely the things the government has advised against

Britain’s Muslims are amongst the hardest hit by the Covid-19 pandemic – senior NHS officials have told me that up to a quarter of British people who have died from the disease caused by the virus have been elderly Muslims.

To those inside Muslim communities like me, this is shocking but not surprising. Muslims are particularly vulnerable to the virus and it needs to be recognised more broadly before it is too late. If Muslims feel let down, excluded or forgotten by the government response, there will be repercussions that last longer than the outbreak.

Many Muslims live in extended families, often, like my household, with three generations under one roof. This means there are a higher number of carriers who can (and often will) infect an elderly relative. An older person cannot effectively self-isolate when they are living in close quarters with their children, grand-children and perhaps even extended family.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#212 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2020 17:54
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Oh! Thanks for the reminder.
No post ratings
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#213 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2020 17:56
TechMan wrote:
View original post

Interesting.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#214 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2020 18:48
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#215 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2020 21:03
Coronavirus In Spain: Genome 'Constantly Mutating,' New Study Reveals
By James Patterson on 3/19/20

KEY POINTS

The coronavirus genome has mutated into a “distinguishable” form from the original
A virus mutating is normal, but it also gives the virus more opportunities to infect hosts
Study is crucial in developing a vaccine against the virus

The University of Valencia in Spain, along with the regional Foundation for Health and Biomedical Investigation, has completed studies concluding that the coronavirus genome that infected the first victims has mutated into a “distinguishable” form from the original.

Spain is currently in fourth place on the global list of infected countries with close to 15,000 cases confirmed and 638 deaths from COVID -19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. The virus spread from Wuhan, China, to all parts of the world as a global pandemic over the past few months.

The importance of the study is that it may help scientists to produce an effective vaccine against the virus.

Fernando González, professor of Genetics at the University of Valencia, told Spanish news outlet El Confidencial, "The genome of the virus is constantly mutating, and it is precisely this that allows us to follow its trajectory across different countries and transmission chains. The patients in isolation in Valencia have displayed various mutations of the original virus sequenced in Wuhan. But that is normal: almost all of the viruses sequenced to date have presented some differences to the first. The most in one case, isolated in Brazil, has 16 mutations."

The topic of mutation is complicated. The most well-known types of mutations are those of a heredity sort that lead to certain medical conditions like hemophilia and sickle cell anemia in humans. The other well-known type is a mutation caused by an external cause such as radiation or a carcinogenic substance like asbestos or benzene.

A hereditary mutation is first caused when a copy of a DNA molecule differs in some way from its parent DNA molecule. This difference can be beneficial in that if the differing physical characteristics caused by the mutation favor the organism’s abilities over a non-mutated organism, it has a greater chance of survival. If the genetic difference is unfavorable then the organism will die out and not pass the anomaly on. This was the basis of Charles Darwin’s work “On the Origin of Species” published in 1859.

Humans and other mammals are extremely slow self-replicators and thus the human mutation process is extremely slow. Early pioneers in the field of genetic mutations had to use fast-breeding plants and later insects for their studies, Gregor Mendel, the father of modern genetics, used the pea plant in the mid-1800s. Another scientist Thomas Hunt Morgan became known as the Fruit Fly Scientist from his work in the early 20th century.

Viruses are fast breeders once they find a host and thus the mutations are numerous. They do not mutate in a willful way to infect a targeted species. Instead, they just have many more opportunities that a mutation will be one that favors a particular host that happens to pass by.

www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus-spain-genome-constantly-mutat...
+2 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#216 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2020 21:56
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

A high risk 34 year old from America dies after visit to Orlando.

According to the CDC, younger people are also at risk from the virus.
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#217 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2020 22:11
In the C.D.C. report, 20 percent of the hospitalized patients and 12 percent of the intensive care patients were between the ages of 20 and 44, basically spanning the millennial generation.
Source: Younger Adults Make Up Big Portion of Coronavirus Hospitalizations in U.S.
Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-young-people.html?te=1&nl=evening-briefing&emc=edit_ne_20200319&campaign_id=57&instance_id=16913&segment_id=22401&user_id=46d26e13817be68a05275413a6a4291a&regi_id=10184346420200319
+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#218 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2020 22:27
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

20-year-old coronavirus victim in Spain was reportedly told by doctors to go home and not to worry. He died less than a week later.

I think I can stop posting on the age factor now, it's obvious that age is no longer a factor.

He had similar symptoms to what I had described with my son earlier in the thread but InshaAllah, my son is getting better, Alhumdulillah.
+3 -0Like x 3Ameen x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#219 [Permalink] Posted on 20th March 2020 02:46
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Yes, one of the deaths in Pakistan was a 36-year old man. The other was a 50-year old.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#220 [Permalink] Posted on 20th March 2020 11:08
URGENT REQUEST: Coronavirus and the Masjid Arrange a weekly or monthly donation to each of the masaajid you use, now!

Many masjids are properly advising caution about attending during the period of the Coronavirus pandemic, and indeed masjids provide more opportunities for transmission of the virus than many other public spaces - our faces, arms, hands, feet and clothing are all in contact with transmittable surfaces such as the musallah, washrooms, handrails etc. and the communal space is used by adults and children from all over the community, inevitably. It is a categorical instruction of the Sunnah and Shari'ah, from Hadeeth, to quarantine in order to halt the spread of infectious diseases.

Very few of our masaajid survive on private endowments or external funding. Based on cursory examination of many masjid committees' accounts, the average income of UK masjids is £1 to 2 per person per week, and the same again for madrassah fees. In the course of a week you may normally visit two or three or four different masaajid - each one will be missing your donations if you stay away. Fi-sabeelillah, and to keep our masaajid solvent,

Arrange a weekly or monthly donation to each of the masaajid you use, now!

Make sure it is enought to cover all your family's usage, and to cover the costs of those who cannot donate or are not mindful of this need.

Allah is the Best of Providers. Allahul khayrul raziqeen ... Ameen
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#221 [Permalink] Posted on 20th March 2020 21:44
Coronavirus: How bad information goes viral

There's a huge amount of misleading information circulating online about coronavirus - from dodgy health tips to speculation about government plans. This is the story of how one post went viral.

It's a list of tips and advice - some true, some benign, and some possibly harmful - which has been circulating on Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, and elsewhere.

Dubbed the "Uncle with master's degree" post because of the alleged source of the information, it's hopped from the Facebook profile of an 84-year-old British man to the Instagram account of a Ghanaian TV presenter, through Facebook groups for Indian Catholics to coronavirus-specific forums, WhatsApp groups, and Twitter accounts.

At first glance it seems legitimate because the information is attributed to a trusted source: a doctor, an institution, or that well-educated "uncle".

The earliest version that we could find was posted by a Facebook user on 7 February. It was shared in a group called Happy People, with nearly 2,000 members.

The post read: "My classmate's uncle and nephew, graduated with a master's degree, and work in Shenzhen Hospital. He is being transferred to study Wuhan pneumonia virus. He just called me and told me to tell my friends

According to fact checking organisations Full Factand Snopes, citing health authorities including the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and The Lancet medical journal, a runny nose is uncommon - but it's not unheard of among coronavirus patients.

The post also encourages people to "drink more hot water" and "Try not to drink ice". There's currently no medical evidence that either of those things will help prevent or cure coronavirus.
"That has no support," says Alex Kasprak of Snopes. "It's wild to see that in there, it's a big red flag."
We attempted to contact the person who posted the information; she did not respond.

The post spreads
The list picked up momentum several days later when it was shared by a man named Glen in India. He put it in several different Facebook groups, including ones for Catholics.
The new post built on the 7 February post with additional information. Although the new post stated "My classmate's uncle and nephew, graduated with a master's degree ... just called me and told me to tell my friends...", Glen didn't actually receive a phone call from an uncle.
He says the post was just "a forward that I got and forwarded it on".
But the new version also added some unsubstantiated and misleading information.

For instance, it described in very specific detail how the disease progresses. But doctors say coronavirus symptoms and severity are highly variable, and there's no one exact progression pattern.

The post goes viral
For several weeks the post was confined to relatively minor outlets. But on 27 February, an 84-year-old former art gallery owner named Peter made it really go viral.
Peter's post was similar to Glen's, but again included some new information - some of which was wrong or misleading.

Peter's post spread rapidly, bringing it to the attention of fact checkers including Full Fact and Snopes. Both organisations wrote detailedstories debunking the claims, citing reliable medical sources including the WHO, the US CDC, the UK National Health Service (NHS) and others.
For instance, one claim in the post stated that the virus "hates the Sun", but as of yet there's no evidence that sunlight kills the virus, and cases have been reported in many countries with hot and sunny climates.

Peter, who lives in southern England, edited the misleading parts of his post after the fact checkers posted their stories. But by then, it had already been shared nearly 350,000 times.
When contacted by the BBC, Peter would not say specifically where he got the information in the post, but said that he trusted his source at the time.
"I believed him actually to be a relation of this scientific guy, a medical guy who'd given all those facts and figures," he told us in a phone interview.

Peter says he was trying to help people protect themselves.
"I try to be as factual as I can. And if I'm corrected, or if I discover myself that I've said something incorrectly, I apologise and I amend it," he says.

Rest of the article
www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-51931394
+1 -0
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#222 [Permalink] Posted on 20th March 2020 22:32

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Ghusl, Kafan & Funeral: Eye Witness Report

Youtube Video

youtu.be/igY_5tDYxO8

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#223 [Permalink] Posted on 20th March 2020 22:55
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

JazakAllah for the video. The video itself is not working but the link worked fine.

I’m presuming that these body bags are plastic and not biodegradable. I understand burying a person in plastic to contain any viruses but the plastic isnt going to dissolve.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#224 [Permalink] Posted on 20th March 2020 23:26
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Is there any evidence for this?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#225 [Permalink] Posted on 20th March 2020 23:58
Intrepid wrote:
View original post

I only shared the link from what is normally a reliable source.

Allah knows best.

I have seen videos shared by Muslim doctors who have also spoken about the shock the medical staff have experienced of Muslim families.
No post ratings

Jump to page: