Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Sahaba (Companions) (Radiallaahu 'anhum)

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.8% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Yasin, sweetmuslimahk1, Taqwah, Naqshband66, Acacia, umar123, Taalibah, Black Turban, Jinn
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 12th July 2011 11:52
The Companions رضي الله عنهم of Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) are considered to be the most superior and exalted people after the Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) and the other Prophets and Messengers of Allah (عليهم السلام). The consensus among the People of the Sunnah (Ahlus-Sunnah w'al-Jama'ah) is that not one after them can attain their status. Thier closeness to Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) - in fact their having merely seen him while they were in a state of Iman (faith) - elevated them to stages that would be impossible for anyone else to reach.

Many narrations have been reported on the elevated rank of the Companions رضي الله عنهم. The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) issued grave warnings against criticizing them in any way. He said: "Fear Allah in every matter concerning my Companions. Do not make them The targets (of your criticism) after me. Whoever loves them loves them out of love for me, and whoever hates them hates them out of hate for me. Whoever troubles them has troubled me and whoever troubles me has troubled Allah; and whoever troubles Allah, it is imminent that Allah seize him." (Mishkat al-Masabih from Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 5534)

In another hadith the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: "The best of my Ummah (nation) are the people of my era (the Companions), then those who are after them (the Followers), then those who are after them (Followers of the Followers). Thereafter, will be such people who will bear testimony where their testimony will not be needed; they wull be deceptive and untrustworthy; and they will make vows but will never fulfill them." (Mishkat al-Masabih from Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim, 553)

He also said:
"I asked Allah about the conflicts (that are to occur) between my Companions after my departure. Allah revealed to me,'O Muhammad! In My sight, your Companions are like the stars in the skies. Some are stronger than others but each possesses a light. Whoever adopts any opinion from the among the various opinions they differ in will be considered quided in my sight.'" (Mishkat al-Masabih from Razin al-'Abdari, 554)

Furthermor, Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) has clearly expressed his satisfaction and pleasure with all the Companions in the Qur'an:

"Allah is well pleased with them and they pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success." (9:100)

From the above, the elevated status of the Companions (رضي الله عنهم) becomes very clear and the Ummah is warned not to criticize them in any way.

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said,
"The curse of Allah the angels and the whole people is upon whoever reviles my companions." [Ibn Hajar AI-Haithami in Majma' Al-Zawa'id]

"Do not revile my companions, for by Him in Whose Hand is my soul, were one of you to spend gold equal to mount Uhud, you would not attain the reward of the handful of one of them or even half of it." [Bukhari and Muslim]

"If you come across those who curse my Companions, say 'May Allah's curse be upon you for your evil." (Mishkat al-Masabih from Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 554)

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: "As for the one who goes further (the shia) and claims that they apostatized after the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) died, apart from a small number, no more than ten or so, or that they became evildoers, there is no doubt that he is a kaafir (disbeliever), because he is rejecting what it says in the Qur'aan in more than one place, that Allaah was pleased with them and praised them. Indeed, the one who doubts that such a person is a kaafir is to be labelled as a kaafir himself, because what this view implies is that those who transmitted the Qur'aan and Sunnah were kuffaar (disbelievers) or rebellious evildoers. The verse says
"You (true believers in Islamic Monotheism, and real followers of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) and his Sunnah) are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind" (Aal 'Imraan 3:110), and the best of them were the first generation. But according to this (shia) view, most of them were kaafirs and rebellious evildoers, and this ummah is the worst of nations and the earliest generations of this ummah were the most evil of them. The fact that this is kufr (disbelief) is something that no Muslim has any excuse for not knowing." End quote from al-Saarim al-Maslool 'ala Shaatim al-Rasool (p. 590).

These were the Companions رضي الله عنهم, the group Allah had selected for the companionship (suhba) of His beloved Envoy (صلى الله عليه وسلم). They fulfilled their promises to Allah and conveyed the teachings and practises of His Envoy (صلى الله عليه وسلم) to the Ummah, and Allah expressed His pleasure with them.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd November 2011 10:52
It is stated in ash-Shifa of Qadi 'Iyad (رحمه الله):

Imaam Malik (رحمه الله) said, "Whoever reviles any of the companions of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) - Abu bakr, umar, uthman, mu'awiya or amr ibn al-as (رضي الله عنهم) - is killed if he says that they were subject to misguidance or disbelief. If he reviles them in another way as people curse each other, he is given a severe punishment."

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "Whoever curses my companions, beat him."

Abu muhammad ibn zayd (رحمه الله) relates from Sahnun (رحمه الله) about someone who said that Abu bakr, Umar, Uthman, and Ali (رضي الله عنهم) were misguided and unbelievers that he should be killed. Whoever curses other companions (رضي الله عنهم) in the same such way is given a severe punishment.

Imaam Malik (رحمه الله) stated "Anyone who curses Aisha (رضي الله عنها) is killed." he was asked why? He said, "Whoever attacks her has opposed the Quran."

Whoever opposes the Quran is killed, i.e. because he has denied what it contains.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd November 2011 10:54
Hadhrat Umar (رضي الله عنه) was told about a person who had reviled a sahabi. Hadhrat Umar (رضي الله عنه) said, "Let me cut out his tongue so that he will never again revile any of the companions (رضي الله عنهم) of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم)."

Ash-Shifa of Qadi 'Iyad (رحمه الله), page 444
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd November 2011 16:44
Al-Qari (رحمه الله) said in in Sharh al-Shifa' (2:92): "Al-Nawawi (رحمه الله) said that cursing the the Companions (رضي الله عنهم أجمعين) is one of the most depraved acts (min akbar al-fawahish), while the author ['Iyad] counts it among the major sins (kaba'ir). Such offence is punished with corporal punishment according to the vast majority, while according to some Malikis and Hanafis the offender is executed. In some of the books of the latter, it is stated that to insult the two Shaykhs (Abu Bakr and 'Umar) (رضي الله عنهما) consititutes disbelief (kufr)."

Al Nawawi (رحمه الله) said in Sharh Sahih Muslim: "Know that to insult the Companions (رضي الله عنهم أجمعين) is prohibited and constitutes one of the grave prohibited indecencies (al-fawahish al-muharramat) whether with regard to those of them involved in a dissension or other than them, because they entered those conflicts on the conviction of their ijtihad and interpretation."

In one of his classes al-Tabari (رحمه الله) was asked: "What is the status of one who says Abu Bakr and 'Umar (رضي الله عنهما) are not two Imams of Guidance?" Ibn al-'A'lam (رحمه الله) replied: "He is an innovator." Al-Tabari (رحمه الله) said: "An innovator? Just an innovator? Such a person should be put to death! Whoever claims that Abu Bakr and Umar (رضي الله عنهما) were not two Imams of Guidance should definitely be put to death!" (In Ibn Hajar, Lisan al-Mizan 5:101)

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2011 10:46
The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, 'Do not curse my Companions. A people will come at the end of time who will curse my Companions. Do not join them and do not join with them and do not marry them and do not sit in their assemblies. If they are ill, do not visit them.' (ash-Shifaa, Qadi Iyad رحمه الله)
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 12th December 2011 07:56
Causing Pain To The Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) in Any Form Or Manner Is Kufr

"Surely, those who annoy Allah and His Messenger are cursed by Allah in this world and the Hereafter, and He has prepared for them a humiliating punishment." (33:57)

Mentioned in the verse cited above is the pain that was caused to the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) intentionally by the disbelievers and hypocrites. It is for this reason that Maulana Ashraf 'Ali Thanavi (رحمه الله) has parenthetically added the word: (qasdan: intentionally) at this place in his abridged summary which includes many a physical pain caused to him at the hands of disbelievers on different occasions as well as the emotional ones that were caused to him in the form of taunts and insults and false accusations against his blessed wives. The cited verses also gives a warning of Divine curse and punishment to those who cause such pains to him by intention.

Although, in the beginning of the verse, warning is given to those who cause pain to Allah (Surely, those who cause pain to Allah... 33:57), while Allah Ta'ala is beyond any effect or impression, and no one can cause pain to Him in real terms, yet the deeds that usually cause pain to others have been referred to as 'causing pain to Allah.'

Leading authorities of Tafsir, however, differ in defining the acts that are termed here as 'causing pain to Allah'. Some of them have maintained that these are the words and deeds about which it has been specifically declared in the spoken ahadith of the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) that they cause pain to Allah Ta'ala. For example, it is mentioned in a Hadith that those who curse the 'time' cause pain to Allah.The background of this Hadith is that the people in the days of ignorance used to blame the 'time' for all sorts of accidents and sufferings, because they believed that the 'time' is the real cause of all happenings in this world. Therefore whenever they faced a suffering, they used to curse and hurl abuses to the 'time', while in fact the real doer of all acts is none but Allah Ta'ala, and in this context their curse and abuses would turn to Him. It is therefore mentioned in the of Divine curse and punishment Hadith that this behavior causes pain to Allah Ta'ala. Moreover, as it appears in Hadith narrations, making pictures of living creatures cause pain to Allah Ta'ala. the expression of 'causing pain to Allah' would be referring to these very words and deeds.

And other authorities of Tafsir said that the real purpose at this place is to warn against causing pain to the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم). But, it has been termed in the verse as causing pain to Allah Ta'ala, because causing pain to the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is tantamount to causing pain to Allah Ta'ala Himself. This interpretation is supported by the context of the Qur'an, because it is the subject of causing pain to the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) that was mentioned in the text earlier and the same subject is repeated again in the forthcoming words. And that the pain caused to the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) turns out to be pain for Allah Ta'ala stands proved from the narration of Sayyidna 'Abdur-Rahman Ibn Mughaffal al-Muzani (رضي الله عنه) given below:

The Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: "Fear Allah, fear Allah in the matter of my Companions. Do not make them the target of your objections and criticisms because whoever loves them loves them because of his love for me, and whoever dislikes them dislikes them because of his disliking against me, and whoever caused pain to them has definitely caused pain to me and whoever caused pain to me has definitely caused pain to Allah, and whoever caused pain to Allah, it is likely that he will be seized by Him." (Tirmidhi)

Just as this Hadith tells us that the pain inflicted on the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) causes pain to Allah Ta'ala, very similarly, it also tells us that inflicting pain on any of the noble Companions or being audacious enough as to speak ill of them becomes pain caused to the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم).

There are several narrations relating to the background in which this verse was revealed. According to some of these, it was revealed about the false accusation made against Sayyidah 'A'ishah (رضي الله عنها). For example, a narration from Sayyidna Ibn 'Abbas (رضي الله عنهما) says: When false accusation was made against Ummul Mu'mineen Sayyidah 'A'ishah (رضي الله عنها), some people gathered at the home of the hypocrite, 'Abdullah Ibn 'Ubayy and indulged in the conspiracy of giving currency to this false accusation. At that time, the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) complained before his noble Companions saying that the man was causing pain to him - (Mazhari).

According to some other narrations, this verse was revealed when some hypocrites had thrown taunts at the time of the marriage of Sayyidah Safiyyah رضي الله عنها. However, the the fact of the matter is that this verse has been revealed concerning each such case which caused pain to the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم). Thus, included here is the false accusation made against Sayyidah 'A'ishah (رضي الله عنها), the taunts thrown by the hypocrites on the occasion of the marriages of Sayyidah Safiyyah رضي الله عنها and Zainab (رضي الله عنها) as well as calling other noble Companions bad, passing ill remarks against them or maligning them in any other way, public or private (tabarra).

Causing Pain to the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) in Any Form or Manner is Kufr (Infidelity)

A person who inflicts any pain on the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم), (such as slandering, cursing and abusing his Noble Companions and pure Wives (may Allah be pleased with them all), or suggests any fault in his person or attributes, whether expressly or in an implied manner, becomes a kafir - and according to this verse (57), the curse of Allah Ta'ala will be upon him in this world as well as in the Hereafter. (As stated by Qadi Thana'ullah رحمه الله in at-Tafsir al-Mazhari).

From the above, the position of the Shia becomes clear!
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 12th December 2011 12:11
Hadrat Ummul Mu'mineen 'Aa'isha (رضي الله عنها) was once told, "Some people are criticizing the Companions (رضي الله معهم) of Allaah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم), even Abu Bakr and 'Umar (رضي الله عنهما)."

She responded, "Do not be surprised by this! Their ability to work good deeds has been cut off [by their death], so Allaah (سبحانه وتعالى) has preferred that their reward not be cut off." (Muslim)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 20th December 2011 07:35
Hayaatus Sahaba (رضي الله عنهم) Lesson 1: Introduction to the Lives of the Sahaba & their Virtue - Shaykh Mujahid Ali

Halalified YT Audio

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 4th January 2012 08:01
What You Call The Sahabah (رضي الله عنهم) Is What You Are!

Halalified YT Audio

Amazing point made by Allama Khalid Mahmood

Transcription:

Who were the first people who laid accusations upon the sahabah? The hypocrites. And the ayah was recited" And when it is said to them to believe like the sahabah have believed/like the previous people have believed" they [hypocrites] say "What, shall we believe like these foolish people have believed". So who done this blasphemy on the Sahabah? [Reply: The Hypocrites] What did they say? [Reply: They are foolish]. So Allah told them in the reply [Arabic] "Indeed the fools are themselves [hypocrites]". So I began to think why Allah didn't use another word in reply. They said 'Sufahaa' [foolish] and Allah could have used another word in reply, but Allah reiterated that very word they used to indicate, whatever they say regarding the Sahabah they are that themselves. [Audience: amazing] Whatever they said regarding the sahabah, Allah didn't say "this or that" but he said "they are foolish themselves".

From this it is realised, whatever you say to the sahabah that is what you will hear back from Allah. Whatever you say to the sahabah that is what you will hear back! If you call them Mutaqeen then you are Mutaqeen. If you say bad things to them like foolish then a reply will come from the heavens indeed you are the foolish. And what about those who call them Kaafir? [Audience: Then he himself is kaafir. Amazing point Alama saab]. So I will end this point by saying [Urdu couplet translation]

"The echo underneath a dome: whatever you say is what you will hear back".
About the respected sahabah whatever one says, it will come back to him as ones own voice echoes back to him when standing under a dome. Whoever calls them foolish is foolish themsef, whoever calls them kaafir is kaafir themselves and whoever calls them mutaqeen they are mutaqeen.

Ink Of Scholars

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 8th January 2012 21:58
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 27th January 2012 08:21
Hayaatus Sahaabah (رضي الله عنهم) Lesson 3: Invitation to Idolaters who did not Accept Islam

By Shaykh Mujahid Ali

Halalified YT Audio

Hikmah Online
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 28th January 2012 08:22
Abu Zur'a (رحمه الله) stated: 'When you see that someone is speaking ill of the Companions (رضي الله عنهم) of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم), then remember that he is a Zindeeq (Murtad).' (Al Isabah, vol 1, p11)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 30th January 2012 08:02
Hafidh Dhahabi (رحمه الله) writes: 'The person who speaks in bad terms or curses the Companions (رضي الله عنهم) of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم), is deemed to have left the fold of Islam. He is cut off from the group of the Muslims due to this action. If he seeks to attribute a fault to the Companions (رضي الله عنهم) of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم), he is considered a Munafiq (hypocrite).' (Al Kabair, p228)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 31st January 2012 07:57
Sayyidina Jabir ibn Abdullah (رضي الله عنه) related, I heard from the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم): 'Whichever Muslim has seen me or seen my Companions (رضي الله عنهم أجمعين) and dies, the Hellfire will not touch him.' (Jami Tirmidhi, vol 2, p231)
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2012 09:32
Shaykh Ibn Hamam (رحمه الله) states: 'It is the belief of the Ahle Sunnah Wal Jama'ah that they see it as incumbent upon them to take the Companions (رضي الله عنهم أجمعين) of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) as pure beings. This is due to the fact that Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) purified each of them. The Ahlus Sunnah are cautious and careful of speaking ill of the Companions (رضي الله عنهم أجمعين) of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) or their actions. Just as Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) and the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) praised the character and personalities of the Companions (رضي الله عنهم أجمعين), we too praise them. The matter that resulted between Sayyidina Ali (رضي الله عنه) and Sayyidina Mu'awiya (رضي الله عنه) was due to Ijtihad and not Aqeedah.' (Sharah Musa Mura, p132)
No post ratings

Jump to page:

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What is the word in red?