Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Abu Bakr (RA)'s fear of Allah

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th December 2017 19:31
Out of the fear of Allah Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه would sometimes say, “If only I were grass (so that I would not be held accountable).” He was the greatest companion and the best friend of Nabi ﷺ, yet such was his fear of the almighty! Compared to this we are so complacent in our deen. Such is our complacency if someone were to point out our wrong we would turn around and lecture them on their wrongs, rather than taking heed. Or sometimes people say that only Allah can judge me. They say it as though it is something comforting. Whereas in reality the judgement of Allah alone, is far scarier than the judgement of every single human being on earth.

So if someone advises you, be grateful they are helping you change. Accept it and thank them for pointing it out. Ask them to make dua that Allah grants you the ability to act upon it. This is the response of a person imbued with humility and good character. Even if the adviser has a million faults that is not the time to point it out. That is the time to rectify our own flaws. May Allah make us humble and may His fear enter our hearts as a result of it, Aameen.

— Hazrat Ml. Dawood Seedat حفظه الله

Above is an article taken from www.islaahiadvices.com. It is an extract from Hazrat’s talk on 10/08/17 in Masjid-ut-Taqwa, Pietermaritzburg. To listen to the full talk, please click here.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 21st December 2017 17:07
Islaahi Advices wrote:
View original post

Assalāmu`alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabarakatuh.

Hazrat, do you have a reference for this Hadith?

“If only I were grass (so that I would not be held accountable).”
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 21st December 2017 17:22
It is mentioned several times in Hayatus Sahaba.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd December 2017 06:25
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

Yes, sister, I know.

I meant the original source.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd December 2017 10:31

See footnotes.

Also I have read that Siddique Akbar رضي الله عنه used to sigh so often that people started calling him "آواہ".

(Several incidents of such kind are present in Tabaqat ibn Sa'ad, Tareekh-ul-khulafa and Kanzul-Ummal)
Screenshot_2017-12-22-15-18-24-1.png
Downloads: 187
    [267.72 kB]
+2 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd December 2017 12:15
Jazak'Allah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 25th December 2017 21:37
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

Shaykh Bashshār ʿAwwād Maʿrūf points out in his taḥqīq of Ḥayāt al-Ṣaḥābah (vol. 2, pp. 351–352) that the narration of footnote #2 above is ضعيف جدا. He also criticizes the narration of footnote #3 above.

Shaykh Muḥammad Awwamah also classifies one of the narrators in the narration of footnote #2 above as ضعيف جدا in his taḥqīq of Muṣannaf Ibn Abī Shaybah (vol. 19, p. 133).

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 26th December 2017 10:37
samah wrote:
View original post

Very informative! This tehqeeq of Hayatus Sahaba is not available in English or Urdu? Could you please tell something about Shaykh Bashar Awwad?
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 26th December 2017 22:58
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

As far as I am aware, no, this taḥqīq is not available in English or Urdu. Such taḥqīqāt are not normally translated due to their academic nature anyway.

Shaykh Bashshār ʿAwwād Maʿrūf is one of the senior muḥaqqiqīn still living (حفظه الله). Muftī Husain Kadodia Ṣāḥib included him in his list of muḥaqqiqīn who are generally good.

Loading tweet
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 27th December 2017 00:55
samah wrote:
View original post

Good catch. One of the reasons why, I have been decided not to use this book because of the unreliable narrations.

EDIT: Removed the work abandoned.
+0 -0Disagree x 2
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 27th December 2017 01:12
Imam Ali wrote:
View original post

As-salam-alaykum:

Any other deobandi books that one should abandon due to unreliable narrations?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 27th December 2017 10:42
abuzayd2k wrote:
View original post

I believe it's best if you do your own research, and then decide.

There is no doubt Hayatus Sahaba is read by many around the world.

If someone tells me a Hadith can be found in Hayatus Sahaba, I'll go one step further and dig up the orignal soruce, and then ask a reliable Hadith scholar regarding the authenticity of it before I decide to share it with others. Many secondary sources pertaining to the lives of the Sahaba don't interest me personally.
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 27th December 2017 20:06
Imam Ali wrote:
View original post

The presence of weak narrations isn't a valid reason to completely abandon a book. Riyāḍ al-Ṣāliḥīn of Imām al-Nawawī (رحمه الله) contains many narrations which are ḍaʿīf, some of which are even ḍaʿīf jiddan. al-Adab al-Mufrad of Imām al-Bukhārī (رحمه الله) also contains many ḍaʿīf narrations, even one which has been classified as ḍaʿīf jiddan by Shaykh al-Albānī (والله أعلم بالصواب). If one were to announce one's abandonment of either of these two books, they would surely be considered unreasonable. Your practice of confirming the authenticity of narrations from ʿulamāʾ before sharing them is good, but consistency and justice would demand that you also accept their opinion if they say that a certain book isn't worthy of complete abandonment.

Also note that the guidelines for historical reports are even more lenient than those for prophetic aḥādīth related to faḍāʾil. Refer to this article of Shaykh Sharīf Ḥātim al-ʿAwnī recently translated by Muftī Muntasir (mutakhaṣṣiṣ in iftāʾ and ḥadīth).

Imam Ali wrote:
Many secondary sources pertaining to the lives of the Sahaba don't interest me personally.

I don't understand what you mean here. Primary sources aren't guaranteed to be more reliable or authentic. I would be more comfortable reading a secondary source if it has been compiled by a reliable scholar who knows which reports are suitable and thus selects them (to the best of his knowledge and ability).
+4 -0Like x 2Winner x 2
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 27th December 2017 20:30
samah wrote:
View original post

Another interesting point to add: Shaykh Abū Qatādah, a Palestinian-Jordanian Salafī scholar, says in the below clip that although there are some objectionable narrations in Ḥayāt al-Ṣaḥābah, they are fewer than the weak aḥādīth which Shaykh al-Albānī classified as ṣaḥīḥ in his Silsilat al-Aḥādīth al-Ṣaḥīḥah!

Halalified YT Audio
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 28th December 2017 02:27
samah wrote:
View original post

samah wrote:
View original post

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabarakatuh.

Jazak'Allah for that insight brother samah, although I knew much of that already.

The book in reference has a pretty negative reputation in my local community, and based on my research there are too many unreliable narrations in Hayatus Sahaba. I ignore these academic thresholds. I for one am not comfortable, nor interested in reading a narration, and then narrating to others when it's been academically scrutinised by the heavyweights from the past. If it's corroborated by other reports, fine. My only exception to this is the Prophet's (SAW) seerrah.

The same applies, and extends to Prophetic narrations concernings virtues.

You are right brother samah regarding secondary sources. My preference is to study history by attending, and listening to khutbahs by reputable 'Ulema. Any narrations that pertain to history and/or Fadhail of Sahaba, I refer back to the original sources. I have a good squad of Hadith buffs over Twelvershia.net who help me out.

Ultimately it's a personal choice. My reluctance from using Hayatua Sahaba should not influence others of it's reliability, but should instead consult with their local 'Ulema.

I apologise if I upset or offended anyone.

EDIT: Removed the word dismissed, and abandonment.
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Yellow' written in?