Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Being silent about the truth

You have contributed 13.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 10th May 2014 11:41

"The one who is silent about the Truth is a Dumb Shaytaan."

report post quote code quick quote reply
+5 -0Like x 3
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2014 22:59
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 00:02
Hadhrat Maulana Shah Abrarul Haq Hardoi Sahib نوراللہ مرقدہ said: "Decrlaring the Truth was compulsory upon Ambiya علیہم السلام in every situation, even if their lives might go. Yet for 'Ulema exists room for silence, if there's danger of getting killed - but declaring the truth is superior."
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 00:03

Deoband wrote:
View original post

W-Salam,

To the best of my knowledge this is not a Hadeeth of Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) but a saying known amongst the Ulama and it is ascribed to Allamah Ali Ad-Diqaaq Nishapuri Asha'fae (HA) for the first time usage, the original is as follows:

الساكتُ عن الحقِّ شيطان أخرس

A "slightly different" version is also present in الرسالة القشيرية في التصوف and this is where it has become famous in Tassawuff circles. Imam Nawawi (RA) has reproduced this in Kitaabul-Adhkaar as follows and many Sufees have reported this version instead of the original (but similar meaning):

وروينا عن الأستاذ أبي القاسم القشيري رحمه الله في " رسالته " المشهورة قال : الصمت سلامة ، وهو الأصل ، والسكوت في وقته صفة الرجال ، كما أن النطق في موضعه أشرف الخصال ، قال : سمعت أبا علي الدقاق رضي الله عنه يقول : من سكت عن الحق فهو شيطان أخرس.

I am not a Scholar so I could be absolutely wrong and your clarification on this matter would be most appreciated and if you cannot ascribe this to our Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) then you are requested to consult Ulama and take further (corrective) action as per the obligations of Islamic Shariah when a statement is ascribed to Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) and there is a chance that it may not be accurate.

In any case if would be most appreciated if you can present this Hadeeth and its chain, may Allah (SWT) reward you in this world and the next (Ameen).

Jazakallahu Khayran

+5 -0Like x 4
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 09:31

Anonymous wrote:
View original post

Hazrat (RA)'s advice is in line with the beautiful Hadeeth of Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam):

من رأى منكم منكراً فليغيره بيده، فإن لم يستطع فبلسانه، فإن لم يستطع فبقلبه، وذلك أضعف الإيمان

Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) said Whoever among you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand [by taking action]; if he cannot, then with his tongue [by speaking out]; and if he cannot, then with his heart [by hating it and feeling that it is wrong] – and that is the weakest of faith” [Muslim]

Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 11:31
For the sake of my own interest and curiosity, I sent this narration to Maulana Muntasir Zaman (the Mufti who runs the Hadith and Fiqh Notes blog). Here is the reply I got:
-----------------------------------------
Wa 'Alaykum Assalam,

I could not locate the Hadith you refer to in al-Mu'jam al-Kabir of al-Tabrani. Some jurists have ascribed this statement to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him). Consider the following:

'Ala' al-Din al-Bukhari [d. 730 AH] writes in his commentary, Kashf al-Asrar:
Silence with regards to preventing when capable of doing so is unlawful for other than the Prophet, so how about the Prophet himself in light of his statement, "The one who is silent (al-Sakit) from the truth is a mute Shaytan"....('Ala' al-Din, Kashf al-Asrar, 149:3 [Dar al-Kitab al-Islami])

Muhammad al-Birkawi [d. 981 AH] writes in al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya:
....as it has been transmitted in the narrations that "The one who is silent from the truth is a mute Shaytan"
(Al-Khadimi, al-Bariqa al-Mahmudiyya, 59:4 [Dar al-Kutub al-'Ilmiyya])

However, it seems as though it is actually from the speech of Abu 'Ali al-Daqqaq [d. 406 AH].

Imam al-Nawawi [d. 676 AH] writes in his commentary on Sahih Muslim:
The teacher, Abu al-Qasim al-Qushayri [d. 465 AH] mentioned.....,"I heard Abu 'Ali al-Daqqaq [d. 406 AH] say, "Whoever remains silent (Man Sakat) from the truth is a mute Shaytan." (Al-Nawawi, Sharh Muslim, 209:1 [Dar al-Ma'rifa]) (al-Nawawi, al-Adhkar, 335 [Dar al-Fikr] Also see, Al-Qushayri, al-Risala al-Qushayriyya, 245 [Dar al-Ma'arif]

As you can see, Imam al-Nawawi did not mention this as a Hadith, rather he attributed it to Abu 'Ali al-Daqqaq. Moreover, many scholars have quoted this statement and referenced it as "A statement from the pious predecessors." Accordingly, it should be regarded as a statement of the pious. As for the meaning of the statement, there is no doubt that remaining silent from the truth, when one is capable of expressing himself, is a detestable act.

I hope this helps.
------------------------------------

+5 -0Like x 4Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 11:36
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

Insha'Allah we will wait for the action/explaination from our dear beloved Hazrat Deoband (Damat Barakatuhum Mudda Fuyuzuhum) because he has ascribed something to the Mubarak tongue of Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) he must have gotten it from somewhere.

As Maulana (HA) has explained have been unable to find this "Hadeeth"

Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 11:43
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Well, to be fair, the answer also states that some jurists have ascribed this to Rasulullah (s.a.w.). So for a layman to make such a mistake is understandable, and insha'Allah, not sinful.

But nevertheless, as the answer conclusively states, it should be taken as a saying from the salaf and brother Deoband should edit his signature.

Wallaahu a'lam.
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 11:46
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

We can't say that he has made a mistake until he presents his findings on the matter so he should be given a chance to explain his ascription of something to Nabi (Sallalaho Alaihe Wassallam) and we shouldn't judge the reasons until he has explained.

If he has made a mistake its a simple correction as we (humans) all make mistakes.

#10 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 16:01
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

You sound pathetically desperate to ascribe any mistake or error to him. Strange behaviour. Deoband has already stated he has left the forum (i think). Just leave him alone, and stop acting like a bully all the time.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 16:14
Guest-309323 wrote:
View original post

SubhanAllah, I rate what brother Muadh has pointed out and I respect the fact that he has put it really nicely and given the brother the chance to rectify the error of attaching something to the Prophet (saw) that which he did not say or do.
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 16:16
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

And people say hate doesn't exist!
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 23:13
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

If the admins believe this is not a hadith instead of waiting for brother deoband to correct the mistake please correct it yourself. Brother deoband (damat fuyoozuhum) may not be visiting the forum again as he has stated in his blog.

Help your muslim brother. Edit the post or delete it and send an explanation to brother deoband about the saying not being hadith. Admins are requested to do so.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2014 23:21
And I get called a cheerleader......
+3 -0Winner x 1Creative x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 13th May 2014 22:22
Akaabir wrote:
View original post

Brother Deoband is more than capable of editing the post himself. Not posting any more doesn't mean he can't edit.

He does logon to the site/forums (even today) and he most likely is aware of the situation.

For all we know, he may be awaiting further clarification since MashaAllah he is well connected.

And since you also have a connection with him via the blog (comments) you too can inform him of the situation.

The thread is clear and the points have been made, so if the brother decides to edit, since he stands up for justice and clarity, Alhumdulillah. If he is aware and decides not to take action, then he will be going against his own principles.

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What's behind the word Yellow? (it's not the sun)