Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed
Rank Image
India
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 13th September 2014 13:48
(bism1)
Question

May Allah always keep you in good health with ‘Afiyah. May Allah increase your knowledge.

I would like to know a few Hadiths that encourage dawah to others even though one isn’t practicing on what he is preaching.
Also what is the stance of our ‘Ulama on this?

Answer

In the light of Quran and Hadith, a very large number of ‘Ulama have unanimously mentioned that one who is lacking in a particular deed, may still invite others towards it.
‘Allamah Nawawi (rahimahullah) writes in his commentary on Sahih Muslim:

‘The ‘Ulama have stated that is is not a precondition in one who engages in enjoining good and forbidding evil, that he himself be abiding to what he advocates.
In fact, he is duty bound to enjoin good even if he is lacking in implementing it, just as he is bound to forbid wrong although he is involved in the same wrong.
This is because one has 2 separate responsibilities;
a) to command himself to do the good
b) to command others.
If he lacks in one of these responsibilities, how would that allow him to lack in the other?!’
(Sharh Nawawi ‘ala Sahih Muslim, vol.1 pg.51)

The same explanation has been echoed by the general Mufassirun (commentators of Quran) under verse: 44 of Surah Baqarah.
Hafiz Ibn Kathir (rahimahullah writes in the commentary of this verse of Surah Baqarah:

‘Commanding good and practising upon it are 2 separate responsibilities. Either one of these will not fall away even if an individual fails in the other. This is themost correct viewof the earlier and latter scholars.
Some have the opinion that one who engages in a sin cannot forbid others from it. This is a weak view. It’s even weaker for them to use this verse (of Surah Baqarah) in support of their claim, as there is no substantiation in it for their view!’
(Tafsir Ibn Kathir. Also see: Tafsir Baydawi, Ruhul Ma’ani & Ma’ariful Quran under the same verse of Surah Baqarah, ‘Allamah Munawi (rahimahullah has also written this under hadith: 8177 of Faydul Qadir)

There is more to this discussion, and those who are interested may refer to Tafsir Ibn Kathir, surah Ma-idah, Ayah: 105.

Having said the above, one should always endeavour to act upon what one propagates, as there are stern warnings in the Hadith for those who fail to ‘practice what they preach’.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,

Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

www.hadithanswers.com/enjoining-good-even-though-one-does...
report post quote code quick quote reply
+7 -0Like x 6
Rank Image
India
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 30th January 2019 16:02
“The believers, men and women, are Awliya (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another, they enjoin (on the people) Al-Maroof (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do), and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. polytheism and disbelief of all kinds, and all that Islam has forbidden)”

[at-Tawbah 9:71].

But the one who wants to enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil should not let his actions contradict his words; rather he should enjoin what is good and do it, and he should forbid what is evil and avoid it. Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do?
Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do”

[as-Saff 61:2-3].

And Shu ‘ayb (peace be upon him) said:

“I wish not, in contradiction to you, to do that which I forbid you”

[Hood 11:88].

Al-Bukhaari (3267) and Muslim (2989) narrated that Usaamah ibn Zayd (may Allah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) say: “A man will be brought on the Day of Resurrection and thrown into the Fire; his intestines will spill forth in the Fire and he will go around as a donkey goes around the millstone. The people of Hell will gather around him and will say: O So and so, what is the matter with you? Did you not enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil? He will say: Yes, but I used to enjoin good and not do it, and I used to forbid evil and do it.”

Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

One of the qualities and characteristics that the daa‘iyah (the one who calls others to Allah) should – indeed must – have is that he must act upon what he calls people to and he should be a good example of what he is promoting. He should not be one of those who call people to something then fail to do it themselves, or who tell people not to do something, then do it. That is the state of the losers; we seek refuge with Allah from that. As for the believers who will succeed, they call people to the truth and act in accordance with it, striving and hastening to attain it, and keeping away from that which they tell others not to do.

End quote from Majmoo‘ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 1/346.
islamqa.info/en/answers/175916/is-the-one-who-commits-a-s...
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 30th January 2019 16:35

Arfatzafar wrote:
View original post

I thought that you were a "Deoandi"? How come you are quoting a "Deobandi" scholar with a Fatwa from Shaykh Ibn Baz (RA)?

+1 -0
Rank Image
India
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 31st January 2019 06:25
@Muadh Khan:

I respect all scholars.
No post ratings