Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Karguzari (Report) on Islam in Sri Lanka

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
xs11ax, abu mohammed, dr76, Jinn, kanzoorbhai, Desi tadka, Taalibah, Servant.Of.Allah, samy.3660, AzmiBintRafaideen
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 28th January 2014 15:03
yes sri lankans have a lot of yemeni influence it seems. Even names like the surnames of yemeni families are common.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 28th January 2014 16:16

Yusuf (the Gangster) looked at me and tried to speak but I didn't understand a word so I asked somebody and we all waited around. Shortly, afterwards a person arrived who spoke to English.

Yusuf welcomed me to Sri Lanka and told me that I should take Sri Lankan train to Hatton and from there take the Bus to Adam's Peak. He then asked someone to take me and get me a Hotel and that was the end of it.

Sorry nothing excited happened and I can't really make stuff up :P

The gentleman took me to a nice place and spoke to them in Sinhalese and I got a superb place on the 4th floor very cheap. Once again there was no Airconditioning but on the top floor it was beautiful. I saw the sunset and then spotted my clsoest Masjid and came down for Maghrib.

Sri Lankans are mostly Tableeghees so after Maghrib there was a Bayan which I sat through. I don't know Sinhalese but due to the standards of Tableeghi Jamaat I was able to understand everything in detail. 

Afterwards I walked around town and came back to the Masjid for Esha. Sri Lanka is the land of the longest Tal'eem in Tableeghi Jamaat (book of records) and Masha'Allah people enthusiastically sit through it all. Again I don't know Sinhalese but due to the standards of Tableeghi Jamaat I was able to understand everything in detail. 

After Taleem I had some food again pointing to someone with Sunnah and ask for the same.  When I returned home the owners of the Guest House spoke English so had a long conversation with the husband/wife about life, world, Islam, religion and whatever and then went to sleep.

Everything in Sri Lanka has a Colonial feel to it specially the train and bus stations and Kandy Train station is no different

Train times are displayed like this:

I went to the Window and asked for a ticket to Hatton. The most expensive fare was something £2.10 (British) so bought the ticket and waited for the tain to arrive, which looked like this:

I sat in a compartment and there was a Muslim family there and they gave me some food and I gave my choclates to their kids. Train goes on a uphill climb and you actually have to be there to believe how beautiful Sri Lanka is. All along the train are tea plantations and hills and before this I had never seen tea plantations before. 

All along the hills people walking, children playing its a breathtakingly beautiful country. The train goes pretty slow so you can actually take in the view and admire the Creation of Allah (SWT).

You can see winding roads and everything! 

+7 -0Like x 4Winner x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 28th January 2014 18:07
Appearance and Language

With respect to South Indian culture, it has old roots tracing back to DRAVIDIAN.
Have a look at Indian people - South Indians are darker compared to North Indians. These people belonged to Dravidian culture which didnt had any idol worship, in other words they cant be Hindus. Hinduism is not itself a religion; since the entry of Aryans' influence into India.

These are the places where Dravidian language is spoken; these people look alike in appearance(physical form); Sri Lanka Tamil dominant areas are also included.

Tamil is one of the oldest language which has its literature in BC period. (Tamil Nadu)Madras State Muslims and Lankan Muslims speak the same language.
Most of the south indian languages has its root from Tamil.

Col Sahib is correct in his observation w.r.t physical appearance;
As I am from South India, Tamil player Muthiah Muralidaran looks like the guy next door whereas Sinhalese players Jayasuriya, Ranatunga, Gurusinghe, Attapattu, Jayawardane look like aliens to me.

(Authorizer edit: space removed between image code and url, also added / to the closing image code)
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 28th January 2014 18:55
Col Sahib is correct in his observation w.r.t physical appearance;
As I am from South India, Tamil player Muthiah Muralidaran looks like the guy next door whereas Sinhalese players Jayasuriya, Ranatunga, Gurusinghe, Attapattu, Jayawardane look like aliens to me.

But doesn't that mean Colonel Saheb was somewhat wrong? He said Sri Lankan muslims generally look different....but then again, he's only visited Colombo and Kandy (as far as we know). The Muslims there have mixed blood, I think, consisting of Arab, Singhalese, Tamil, Malay etc. The Tamil Muslims, in Eastern province for example, who are relatively more "pure-blooded" look pretty much the same as Tamil non-Muslims.
I could be wrong though.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 04:10
In fact maulana Tariq Jameel (db) once said that sri lankan muslims are naturally very disciplined, so you see their ijtemas, they organize it very well - people are generally very disciplined over there, he compared them to the indisciplined attitude of pakistanis.

And pleased to know about tabligh - whereas multi national corporations struggle to cross borders and do so only after decades, the blessed effort in less than a century has ever growing presence (MashaAllah, Allahumma barik fihee) across the whole wide world, started among the poor, unknowledgeable in the hamlets called mewaat!

"Allah say hota hay!"

Microsoft's OS share is eroding, Nokia got sucked, Walmart crashed in India, Airbus has problems, Boeing is reeling under losses, Apple are faltering already after the demise of steve jobs...and the so called greatest minds educated in elite institutions are employed in these corporations backed up by hundreds of billions of dollars including marketing spends on tv's, internet and radio, billboards and what not!!

Tabligh - no funds, no marketing, no so called elite number crunching minds. Just a Prophetic sunnah BACKED UP BY ALLAH AZ WAJAL! Allahu Akbar!

People in tabligh - this should be enough motivation for you.

Br Muadh carry on..

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 05:24
@Kanzoor Bhai,
Yes Moors are different(Mixed). Tilekaratne Dilshan father was Malay Muslim; hence he too looks different from Eastern people. I think we need to read more about the History of Srilanka, and Muslim History in SriLanka as lots of facts emerging.

This topic is interesting and informative.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 09:21
Servant.Of.Allah wrote:
View original post

kanzoorbhai wrote:
View original post

I was referring to body and bone structure and hair not skin complexion.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 10:14
The sri lankans I met many had a close resemblence to yemenis even surnames. They told me many are originally from yemen but they don't know for sure. Very nice people though. Head and shoulders above most of our people. Another thing I noticed is that although it is a poor country you don't get the crazy begging common in the indopak etc. Bro muadh we should arrange a trip there
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 10:26

Hatton is primarily known for its Ceylon tea trails but I didn't have time for this. I had to get to Adam's Peak. The surroundings in Hatton are simply amazing, I had seen some of it by train but didn't have time for the rest. I had to find a Masjid for Dhohar and ignore these sites:

The most iconic tourits attraction in Hatton is the Clock Tower, I have no idea when it was built but from memoery I don't think it works and hasn't worked for a long time :p

Hatton is a small city and if you walk around you will eventually get to Hatton Jumma Masjid which is one of the biggest Mosques in town and clearly visible. 

The Mughal Architeture is clearly visible in the Masjid. I arrived there a little before Dhohar and met a Tableeghi brother by the name of Yusuf. Yusuf drove a van to transport School children and spoke fluent English.

I asked him about the way to Adams Peak and he gave me the directions but also told me that I am a guest in his country and if I could wait he would drive me there because after Dhohar he had to pick up the School children. He also introduced me to a few other Muslims and also the (Maulana) and I was overwhelmed by their simplicity and love.  After Dhohar it was time for (Sri Lankan) Ta’leem and once again Maulana conducted LONG Ta’leem (by my standards) and no one moved and listened patiently and attentively.

After Taleem I was leaving and Yusuf again apologised to me for not taking me, Maulana offered to take me home for food but I politely declined because I didn’t want to intrude on their schedule and parted company. Walking around in town I easily found another “Muslim hotel” with plenty of customers in Sunnah so I ate (stuffed myself) and then went out to look for a bus to Adams Peak.

The road is harrowing, narrow and windy all the way to the foothill of Sri Pada (Adam's Peak) 

Finally you get to Adams Peak and you get dropped off at the foothills of this mountain top. The weather here is cold and by this time I was shivering in cold in my T-Shirt. It had also started to rain so I hit my passport and money in a plastic bag and put it inside my shirt to stop it from getting wet. 

You arrive at the village of Nallathanniya and from there you have to climb up the stairs to get to the mounttain top. Unfortunately due to the weather and season this was closed so I couldn't go up!

By this time I am cold shivering and drenched so I prayed my Asar and then walked around in town. This climb is supposed to be for people looking for spiritual enlightenment and frankly I didn't need stairs as Asar Salah did the same thing.

Supposidly when you climb up there is a massive footprint around which the Buddhists have built a DharamShala (Budhist holy place) and they climb up there to worhsip the foot print. 

After spending some time exploring the area and walking around, I prayed Maghrib and then took the bus back to Hatton. I arrived in Hatton a little before Esha and quickly ate and proceeded to the same Masjid for Esha. This time I didn't find anyone whom I recognised. Again we had long Taleem and afterwards everyone went home. It was very cold and I had been wet and shivering for hours. I found the Train station and purchased tickets for the express train to Colombo and they told me that the train will arrive around midnight a few hours later.

I was cold hungry and miserable and everything was closed. I tried to continously walk around to keep myself warm but it wasn't working. While I was walking around I saw a Panshop which was open. Desperate for anything I went inside and told him to make Paan and put "everything" in it. He did put everything in it including very strong tobacco!

Within minutes I was warm, happy and intoxicated! I quickly realised that I was drunk but I tried to convince myself that I wasn't drunk. Sri Lanka had telephone booths and they have one for Domestic and other for International calls so I found two booths and decided to try to walk straight.

If I wasn't drunk I could start from one booth and put one foot in front of the other and arrive at the other directly in line.

No matter how hard I tried to walk straight, I could not walk straight! I must have been at it for hours because there was civil war going on so someone must have called the Police to have an idiot walking in rain between two telephone booths for hours arrested!

+8 -0Like x 2Winner x 6
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 11:01
This is awesome, hilarious! LOL !!
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 11:10
The intoxication very probably is the result of zarda (that paan picture br muadh has uploaded contains a lot of zarda)

+2 -0
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 11:13
Tobacco in hindi is called 'tambaku' not sure its also known as zarda - I'm not a paan eater though, no paan no smoking, Alhamdulillah. And the above pic isn't mine.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 11:35

Sri Lankan Paramilitary forces arrived in a Jeep right outside the Train station and the Captain demanded to see my ID. I am intoxicated so I said, "NO! Let me see your ID Mr Captain".

The guy is totally puzzled so he asks me, "Sir! I am asking for your ID" and I said, "AND I am asking for your ID"

And then I heard the familiar rattle of a cocking of a gun I was right awake!

I showed them my passport and the Captain asked as to why I am walking around aimlessly so I showed him the Train Tickets that I am actually waiting for the train so he said "Sir, there is war in our country so you should wait inside the Train station. I staggered onto the Train station where someone told me that I need to go to the VIP section!

The train station looked like this so I shouted at him and asked him, "WHERE THE HELL IS THE VIP SECTION!!!"

The VIP Section had a bench like this so I tried to sleep on my VIP bench

Its cold, miserable and raining and train is an 1 hour late!

Then the train got to be 2 hours late!

Then the train got to be 3 hours late!

Finally the mid-night express to Colombo arrived and I went to look for my VIP seat!

There were people in the seats, people in the windows, people on the roof and there was no place for me to even stand! The only place I found is the middle METAL which connects the two compartments together so I sat on it because nobody was sitting on it, take a guess in your mind.

Within minutes my backside was on fire because the metal was so HOT! I couldn't sit but I couldn't stand either. I wanted to go to the Toilet but one look and I decidied against it so I made dua and just sat with my backside burning in Jahannum!

Within minutes someone grabbed my hand and took me to a seat and sat me down, I don't know who it was and what happened and I just fell asleep ONLY to wake up near Fajar time

+4 -0Like x 4
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 12:21
Yes Br. Desi Tadka is right
Sweet pan is like a Candy;but there are 2 other pans by the name of 120 and 420 which has ZARDA.

Usually people(Muslims) who dont have the habit of Alcohol or Cigarette find it very difficult to manage it.
120 itself is strong for us; during my college days I ate it by mistake. My head was spinning like a turbine, profusely sweating, I was continuously falling on the floor.

420 = 3 times of 120.

Caution - Never try paan/beedas except the regular ones.
+2 -0
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 29th January 2014 12:37
Servant.Of.Allah wrote:
View original post

Also I think one is supposed to spit out the Juice and not swallow it unlike a complete idiot like me who ate everything!

+1 -0Like x 1

Jump to page: