Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

British Army Unit in Deobandi Mosque before Afganistan?

You have contributed 15.4% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd March 2012 15:17

Source

Royal Welsh soldiers visit mosque ahead of Helmand deployment
A People In Defence news article

1 Mar 12

Soldiers from 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh recently visited a mosque in Bolton as part of preparations for their deployment to Afghanistan.
Imam meets with soldiers

Imam Molana Rashid meets with soldiers from 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh at the Zakaria Mosque in Bolton
[Picture: Crown Copyright/MOD 2012]

The visit to the Zakaria Mosque, one of the largest in the North West of England, was requested by the unit in January and organised and hosted by the Bolton Council of Mosques.

A total of 50 soldiers took part in the trip, all of whom are due to deploy to Afghanistan in April where they will assist in the continuing transfer of responsibility for the nation's security to the Afghan National Security Forces.

Major Owain Luke, Officer Commanding B Company, 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh, said the visit was designed to give his men a better understanding of Islam and the cultural importance of the mosque. He added:

"We are going to an Islamic country and so it is critical that our soldiers understand the faith. The more we do so, through activities like this, the more likely we are to avoid making cultural blunders."

Zakaria Mosque, founded 40 years ago, is one of 20 mosques in and around Bolton. It can accommodate up to 3,000 worshippers.

The mosque's Imam, Molana Rashid, spent almost three hours with the soldiers. He invited them to watch midday prayers and took questions on Islam, its daily prayer rituals, Ramadan - the month of fasting, and the appearance and dress of worshippers. He said:

"An occasion like today is important for those who come to visit and those who are visited. It gives each of us a good understanding of each other, and it gives the soldiers a good understanding of our place of worship. It was a good experience."

Imam meets with soldiers

Imam Molana Rashid meets with soldiers from 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh at the Zakaria Mosque in Bolton
[Picture: Crown Copyright/MOD 2012]

Major Luke added:

"Today has been very useful and we will be able to apply a lot of what we have learned on the ground in Afghanistan. For example, learning how to recognise a smaller mosque, knowing what a prayer mat or the Koran looks like - these are useful things to know when you are on patrol in a Muslim country."

Inayat Omarji, Chief Officer at the Bolton Council of Mosques, said:

"Owain approached us back in January asking if we could host a cultural awareness visit and we were happy to help. These men will be in an Islamic country and, until this visit, many would never have been inside a mosque.

"The Bolton Council of Mosques is all about inter-faith engagement with all organisations, and so a visit like this is part of our day-to-day work. It was good to have the soldiers here and we would like to invite them back on their return to hear their stories."

1st Battalion The Royal Welsh will deploy to Afghanistan as part of 12 Mechanized Brigade which will replace 20th Armoured Brigade in April 2012 as the lead formation of British troops in Helmand province.

The Royal Welsh soldiers have recently undergone a series of demanding training exercises in advance of their deployment. The battalion's last tour of Afghanistan was at the end of 2009 and into 2010.

We need your help! We are trying out designs for a new single website for all of government and we'd love your feedback. Please visit the 'Government beta site' by clicking on the link under Related Links.

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd March 2012 15:19

Asslamo Allaikum All,

The news of the army visit BEFORE THEIR DEPLOYEMENT into Afghanistan is correct but before I react to this issue, is this is the same Zakariyya Masjid?

• Top Deobandi Masjid in UK
  • Named after Shaykyul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Zakariyya Kandhalwi (RA)
  • Thursday Durood/Salam Khatam by Shaykyul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Abdur-Raheem Limbada (HA)
  • Saturday Lessons in Saheeh Bukhari by Shaykyul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Abdur-Raheem Limbada (HA)
  • Under Mushwara and advice by Shaykyul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Yusuf Motala (HA)

Jazakullah Khairun

+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd March 2012 15:32
To Allah we belong and to Him shall we return.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd March 2012 15:37
How would ANYONE react if it was said that a Mujahideen will be paying a visit to the Church of.... or the Synagogue or a the Temple of.... to learn about the faith before he goes out to face them in Jihad in their own land.

SubhanAllah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd March 2012 15:45

Asslamo Allaikum,

My heart and mind are betraying what I am actually reading and my head is spinning so I would still like to know “Is this the same Zakarriya Masjid in Bolton” which I am thinking of? Under Mushwara of Hazrat (Shaykh) Yusuf Motala Saheb (HA) and run by the major Deobandi Ulama of UK?

???

Somebody tell me that I am wrong! OR I have misunderstood...

No post ratings
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd March 2012 16:29
Are you referring to this one?

if so, the number is listed as 01204 535002 so maybe if you confirm, I or someone can give a call to find out if this event is theirs.
No post ratings
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd March 2012 16:21
Muadh_Khan wrote:
Asslamo Allaikum All, The news of the army visit BEFORE THEIR DEPLOYEMENT into Afghanistan is correct but before I react to this issue, is this is the same Zakariyya Masjid? Top Deobandi Masjid in UK Named after Shaykyul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Zakariyya Kandhalwi (RA) Thursday Durood/Salam Khatam by Shaykyul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Abdur-Raheem Limbada (HA) Saturday Lessons in Saheeh Bukhari by Shaykyul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Abdur-Raheem Limbada (HA) Under Mushwara and advice by Shaykyul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Yusuf Motala (HA) Jazakullah Khairun

Wa alaykumus salam

The first point is debatable, the second point is correct and the last three are incorrect (to my knowledge).

Jazakallah
No post ratings
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd March 2012 16:23
Muadh_Khan wrote:
run by the major Deobandi Ulama of UK?

this i would say is also incorrect.
No post ratings
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd March 2012 17:06
Shaykhul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Abdur-Raheem Limbada (HA) does hold Dars-e-Bukhaari Every Monday after Isha salaah however i would say that he is not in any way in charge.

The mosque has changed and there have been alot of problems over the past few years.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 13:27

Question:

Asslamo Allaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakath,

MOD Report

Manchester Evening News

A regiment of British Army on their way to Afghanistani visited a Deobandi Masjid which was setup some 40 years ago and named after Hazrat Shaykul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Zakarriya Kandhalwi (RA) and run by many Deobandi Ulamah in UK. From our understanding this visit wasn't forced upon the Masjid, rather the Masjid responded to a request from the British Government.

We have confirmed of this visit from other Ulama-e-Kiraam before sending this query to you. What is the Hukum of Shariah in this matter?

Jazakullah Khairun

Response/Fatwa:

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM

16 Rabiuth Thaani 1433 (10-03-2012)

Your e-mail dated 10 March 2012 refers.

It is indeed a sad day for the Ummah when Muslims, especially Ulama, invite non-Muslims soldiers to enter and  sit inside the Musjid, especially such soldiers who are on a mission to kill our bretheren in Afghanistan.

When the fear of Allah Ta’ala departs from the Muslim’s heart, then he fears even the shadows of creation. It is understood that Muslims in Britain have to  be obedient to their government. But this does not mean that we should sacrifice our Deeni principles and  lick boots. If they wanted to educate the non-Muslim soldiers about Islam, another venue could have been arranged, not a Musjid. And, if  the  army insisted to visit a Musjid, then the rules should have been laid down. They should have been told that the first condition for entering the Musjid is ghusl-e-janaabat. The condition should have been stipulated that each soldier had to take a full ghusl at the Musjid’s  bathrooms so that  there is certitude that they are at least physically paak.

The ghusl stipulation would have deterred them. They would have agreed to an alternative venue. If  it was explained to them that even Muslims are not allowed inside the Musjid if they are in the state of janaabat, then they would have understood and no one would have been effronted.

In our opinion there was no need to have acted so obsequiously by inviting the soldiers into the Musjid.

Was-salaam

(Mufti)  A.S. Desai For Mujlisul Ulama of S.A.

Question:

Asslamo Allaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakath,

Do we have your permission to make your response public?

Response/Fatwa:

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM

9 Rabiuth Thaani 1433 (13-03-2012)

Your two  e-mails dated 12 March 2012 refer.

You may  publicize our response. Feel free to circulate our reply.

Was-salaam

(Mufti)  A.S. Desai For Mujlisul Ulama of S.A.

+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 13:46
MashaAllah, Jazakallah brother Muadh.

How about we get a response from the Masjid.

I still think its a very sad thing to have happened.

Can you imagine if Ameerul Mu'mineen was made Shaheed by these guys and they came back and boasted about it and then thanked the Mosque for their advice and couldn't have done it without them.

PATHETIC. THE MASJID CAN'T JUSTIFY THEIR ACTIONS, UNLESS THEY INVITED THEM TO ISLAM AND ASKED THEM NOT TO GO.

@Muadh, I updated the link in the first post so it fits the screen
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 13:55

"abu mohammed" wrote:
MashaAllah, Jazakallah brother Muadh. How about we get a response from the Masjid. I still think its a very sad thing to have happened. Can you imagine if Ameerul Mu'mineen was made Shaheed by these guys and they came back and boasted about it and then thanked the Mosque for their advice and couldn't have done it without them. PATHETIC. THE MASJID CAN'T JUSTIFY THEIR ACTIONS, UNLESS THEY INVITED THEM TO ISLAM AND ASKED THEM NOT TO GO.

Anyone who can read can decide for themselves as here is their previous track record in Afghanistan.

Royal Welsh Regiment

Soldiers from the 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh (1 R WELSH) launched their biggest operation since they arrived in Helmand just over a month ago.

But the Royal Welsh were not alone on the four day operation as they were partnered by soldiers from the fledging Afghan National Army.

The British see the Afghans role as vital as they are far better at engaging with the locals who up until now have never seen the new Afghan soldiers in this part of Helmand.

For the Royal Welsh helicopters are the providing them with the ability to get out on the ground.

By flying into the heart of Taliban territory the soldiers can avoid the lethal IEDs that surround the patrol bases and disrupt the insurgents where they least expect it, in their own back yards.

So for the Royal Welsh and the Afghan soldiers that work along side them there will be no let up in the pace as they continue to take the fight to the Taliban for the rest of their tour.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 14:29
I think most Muslims are not educated in this field and they have no idea what Afghanistan is all about.

They have been brainwashed by the media to believe the opposite. The News I would see here would be totaly different to the news I would read coming from there.

I've had many debates with people regarding Afghanistan and the Mujahideen. But unforunately cant say that I have been there to witness it my self. And I dont want any one else to say that they have been either. It is between them and Allah.

However, a sad note, but when we discuss the media here, I always ask them if they had seen a movie called "Wag the Dog". Its all lies lies and more lies.
No post ratings
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2012 07:45
Muadh_Khan wrote:
run by many Deobandi Ulamah in UK.

Asslamualaykum

Who told you this?

Jazakallah
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2012 10:17

"Anonymous" wrote:
"Muadh_Khan" wrote:
run by many Deobandi Ulamah in UK.
Asslamualaykum Who told you this? Jazakallah

W-Salam,

Its Jummuah today so I don't want to get into an argument with you instead I request your duas. If my information is false and its run, operated and managed by Barelwees and Salafees then you have nothing to be concerned about and simply state that Deobandees have nothing to do with this Masjid and you would have done your job and I would stand corrected.

Jazakullah Khairun

No post ratings