Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Makkah News and Updates

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.4% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
omer, Taqwah, Taalibah, rizmalek, super-glue, Seifeddine-M, bint Mohammed, member2, sweetmuslimahk1, abu mohammed, Yasin, Heather2727, Naqshband66, ummi taalib, mo_isaq, Acacia, Desi tadka, umar123, habeeba, Jinn, Arslan., ibn Ismail, najimuddin, ALIF, al-adnan, abuzayd2k, Moonlight, Mohammed8, ssaad, tanveerzakee, sharjan8643, opc121177
224 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#676 [Permalink] Posted on 12th March 2012 23:40
Qur'an gives hope to Syria's oppressed: Makkah imam

By MAKKAH/MADINAH: ARAB NEWS

Published: Mar 10, 2012 01:28 Updated: Mar 10, 2012 01:28

The Imam and Khatib at the Grand Mosque Sheikh Osama Khayyat comforted the Syrian people, wilting under the oppression of the tyrannical regime of President Bashar Assad, by reciting verses of the Holy Qur'an saying Almighty Allah sends solace soon after hard times.

The imam made these comments while addressing the congregation at the Grand Mosque in Makkah on Friday.

"So, surely, with every difficulty there is relief," the sheikh said, quoting a verse of chapter Al-Sharah of the Holy Qur'an, adding that their miseries will end soon and a new era of peace and prosperity is awaiting them.

The imam said the above quoted verse is a promise to all believers suffering in any part of the world that Allah's mercy will descend on them if only they are patient, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

The sheikh also exhorted the people to be God-fearing and not to lose hope in the mercy of Allah. Khayyat urged people to increase their supplications to the Almighty especially with prayers such as "O Lord, broaden my heart and make matters easy for me..." This was the prayer Prophet Musa (peace be upon him) made when he had to confront the mighty Pharaoh of Egypt single-handedly at the early stage of his mission.

At the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah, Imam and Khatib Sheikh Salah Al-Budair slammed the international community for not taking any effective action to stop the bloodshed and sufferings in Syria and other parts of the world.

"What have the countries that claim to maintain peace and lead the world done to solve the issues of the countries that are languishing in poverty, illiteracy and divisions," the sheikh wondered in his sermon to the congregation comprising mostly pilgrims from different corners of the world.

"The governments that lead the international bodies do not have any conscience that impels them to end wars and clashes or take steps to ensure justice to those who are victims of injustice, disease and hunger in the world," the imam said.

The imam did not mince words when he said some advanced countries exploit the sufferings of the Muslims as an occasion to market highly destructive weapons. "They are playing with the future of nations and they are not moved by the killings and torture of the innocents. They are interested only in profiting from contracts and deals," the sheikh said.

He also blamed world powers for creating divisions and wars in poor countries to protect their interests.

The sheikh warned the political leaders that if they continue manipulating wars and perpetuate hunger and illiteracy the very same fire they created would consume them.

arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article585532.ece
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#677 [Permalink] Posted on 12th March 2012 23:41
SR20bn allotted for Makkah Metro

By MAKKAH: ARAB NEWS

Published: Mar 10, 2012 01:04 Updated: Mar 10, 2012 01:05

An amount of SR20 billion has been allotted for the execution of the first phase of a metro network in the holy city of Makkah, Mayor Osama Al-Bar announced yesterday.

"Work is currently going on in the blueprint of the project. Six months after that we will start signing contracts for the execution of the project," he told business daily Al-Eqtisadiah.

He said the network will cover all parts of Makkah and will facilitate transport to the city center and the Grand Mosque.

Al-Bar expected Makkah to attract investments of more than SR200 billion in the coming two years and said government and private development projects worth about SR100 billion were currently being implemented. "Makkah is a safe haven for investment," he added.

He said among others, the ongoing development projects in Makkah include the project of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosque King Abdullah for the development of the holy city, which was being directly financed by the Finance Ministry away from the budgets of the government departments concerned.

Al-Bar described King Abdullah's project as "pioneer and unprecedented" and said it was aimed at developing the basic infrastructure of the holy city in a limited period of time.

He explained that the project consists of axial and ring roads and transport stations. "A budget of SR23 billion has been allotted for the implementation of the first phase of the projects," he added.

The mayor said about 3,000 real estate units have been expropriated for King Abdullah's expansion of the Grand Mosque for which compensations of more than SR40 billion were paid.

He said the expropriated real estate was estimated at SR550,000 per sq. meter, which is equivalent to $18,000 per sq. foot. "This is among the highest rates in the world," he said.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#678 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 22:35
I would like to thank Sister Roukaya from Canada who has been my inspiration for this thread. 99% of the news we all get is from this sister. And the reason why I'm making mention of this is because I just found out that she is a Revert to Islam, Alhumdulillah.

May Allah reward her for all her efforts and make it easy for her in this life and in the hearafter.

She is aware of this thread as she pays us a visit often, but is unable to post due to time restraints.

May Allah give her Barakah in her time just as we all need it.

May I request all those who regularly visit this thread to remember her in your Dua's too.

Jazakallahu Khair Sister Roukaya.

I have made mention of her in the very first post, but InshaAllah I will update that post with this info.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#679 [Permalink] Posted on 13th March 2012 22:47
No post ratings
#680 [Permalink] Posted on 14th March 2012 08:23
Assalam o Alaikum

Jazakallah khair for a wonderful thread, which i regularly visit, helps keep the fire of love of harmain alive in me.

This is Zia from pakistan
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#681 [Permalink] Posted on 15th March 2012 09:57
Over 170,000 Indians coming for Haj

(PHOTO REMOVED)
India's Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed, 3rd left, with Haj Minister Dr. Bandar Al-Hajjar, 4th left, Chairperson of the Haj Committee of India Mohsina Kidwai, Dr. Rashad Hussain, 2nd right, Consul General Faiz Ahmad Kidwai, right, Indian Ambassador Hamid Ali Rao, 2nd left, and Consul Haj B.S. Mubarak, left, after a meeting in Jeddah on Wednesday. (AN photo)

By JEDDAH: SYED FAISAL ALI

Published: Mar 14, 2012 23:04 Updated: Mar 14, 2012 23:04

More than 170,000 Indian pilgrims will perform Haj this year, according to Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed.

Ahamed, who met Haj Minister Bandar Al-Hajjar here yesterday, said that he has requested the Haj minister to grant an additional quota of 10,000. The Indian minister also made a formal request for Metro train facility to all Indian pilgrims coming through the Haj Committee of India.

"The minister's response was positive but I would not speculate unless it's granted," Ahamed said. The additional quota is usually released close to Haj.

"We discussed various Haj-related issues with the Haj minister and requested that Indian pilgrims should be provided accommodation near metro stations in Mina and also suggested that more food stalls should be opened in the tent city so that pilgrims do not have to wander for food."

Ahamed also said that modalities were being worked out to send Zamzam water in ferry flights when they return empty after offloading passengers in Jeddah. "This, if agreed upon, would ease the baggage issue faced by many pilgrims," the minister said.

Ahamed was leading a high-level Indian delegation for discussions on bilateral agreement for Haj 2012. The delegation included Chairperson of the Haj Committee of India Mohsina Kidwai, Ambassador Hamid Ali Rao, Joint Secretary (Gulf and Haj) of Ministry of External Affairs A.R. Ghanashyam, Consul General of India Faiz Ahmad Kidwai, Consul Haj B.S. Mubarak and other officials.

Ahamed also met with the Chairman of South Asian Pilgrims Establishment yesterday and discussed Haj arrangements to make the pilgrimage smooth and comfortable for Indian pilgrims.

Speaking at the press conference, the consul general said that the Consulate General of India was further streamlining the building selection procedure to make it more transparent and flawless. "Bids have been invited and the names of the buildings will be pasted on the notice board of our Makkah office after selection," Faiz Kidwai said.

The Haj Committee has increased the rate for accommodation in Green Category buildings by SR500, however, rent for Aziziyah buildings will remain the same.

Faiz added that separate bids have been invited from suppliers for providing good quality blankets and pillows to pilgrims

arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article587603.ece
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#682 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2012 10:22
Darussalam to launch Islamic magazine for children

(PHOTO REMOVED) Dr. Zakir Naik, center, with Darussalam General Manager Abdul Malik Mujahid, left, and Okasha Mujahid, chief of international marketing, addresses a press conference in Riyadh. (AN photo)1 of 2By RIYADH: GHAZANFAR ALI KHAN, ARAB NEWS STAFF

Published: Mar 16, 2012 00:05

Darussalam, a Riyadh-based multilingual publishing house, has announced plans to launch a glossy English magazine for children that is rich in Islamic content, and drawings and pictures depicting religious values.

The magazine, "Shining Star," will be the first such printed journal of its kind to be published from Saudi Arabia and distributed globally in an attractive fun format that will fascinate children of all ages.

Dr. Zakir Naik, chief of the Mumbai-based Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), and Abdul Malik Mujahid, general manager of Darussalam, announced the publishing house's plans for the magazine at a recent press conference in Riyadh on Tuesday.

The press meet was preceded by a lecture on Islam and the media delivered by Naik, the doctor-turned-Islamic preacher who presides over Peace TV channel watched by millions of viewers across the world. Naik's forte lies in his scholarly lectures and ability to defend Islam.

A scholar of comparative religion, Naik highlights tenets of major world religions to promote peaceful co-existence.

Naik appreciated the interfaith dialogue initiative of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah, saying the initiative has had great impact on the institutions and people of diverse faiths.

The IRF chief also inaugurated the Darussalam Book Store in Riyadh recently.

Sehim Mohammed Unni hosted a brief reception for the scholar at his office after the opening ceremony. Naik, who is in the Kingdom on a weeklong tour, will also visit Bahrain where he will deliver a public lecture on Islam.

Speaking at the press conference about the plan to launch the children's magazine, Darussalam chief Mujahid identified the need for the magazine because of the dearth of such reading materials in the global market.

"Traditionally, print materials for kids about Islam have been dry and boring," he added. "There was nothing appealing, or presented in a 'fun and attractive' format, and so we have decided to create something that will fill the gap," said the Darussalam chief. He said Darussalam has requested Naik to be a member of the magazine's advisory panel.

The magazine, according to Mujahid, will have articles on Islamic morals, puzzles, games, interviews with kids, features on Islamic history, nature and science. "This initiative of Darusslam will go a long way in educating Muslim children about Islam and its teachings, and the eventual goal is to allow the new Muslim generation to play a new role and become an asset for the community in particular and for the whole of the world in general," he added.

The maiden issue of Shining Star will hit the stands within three months, he said.

Naik said Darussalam had emerged as the most authentic source of information as far as the accuracy of its publications is concerned. "I always recommend Darussalam books because I am sure that their publications have authentic information based on the references of Holy Qur'an and the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)."

"We are publishing and distributing selected works of scholars and researchers of different nationalities including Naik," added Mujahid.

He pointed out Darussalam has published the translation and interpretation of the Holy Qur'an and other Islamic literature in more than 28 languages so far. Since its inception, Darussalam has been producing books on Islam in different languages such as Arabic, English, French, Spanish, Urdu, Persian, Turkish, Hindi, Bahasa (Indonesia), Russian and many others.

"Until today, Darussalam has published more than 1,400 Islamic titles in 28 different languages," said Okasha Mujahid, Darussalam's director of international marketing.

Okasha said Darussalam is also known for its innovative and modern publishing techniques of books especially meant for children and youths of different ages. He said Darussalam has the distinction of introducing innovative educational devices for learning Qur'anic teachings with the help of computer technology. "We have about 30 devices or electronic gadgets available in the market with Islamic materials," said Okasha. The most popular among them is the Digital Qur'an, he added.

Okasha said the publication house has set up its own state-of-the-art studio, which has produced more than 500 audio cassettes and CDs in English and Urdu on different Islamic subjects.

arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article587880.ece
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#683 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2012 10:23
Prince Khaled to open workshop on social role of Friday sermons

By JEDDAH: ARAB NEWS

Published: Mar 16, 2012 00:36

Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal will open a workshop on the social role of Friday sermons and mosques, to be organized by the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Endowments, Call and Guidance in Makkah tomorrow, an official of the ministry said.

Minister of Islamic Affairs, Endowments, Call and Guidance Saleh Al-Asheikh will also attend the workshop, carrying the theme "Responsibility and Participation of Mosques and Friday Sermons in Making an Ideal Man," the undersecretary for mosque affairs at the ministry, Tawfiq Al-Sudairy, said in a statement to the Saudi Press Agency yesterday.

The workshop will discuss the importance of the Friday sermons in promoting human values. "Islam is keen on a khatib (Friday speaker) discharging his duty skillfully," Al-Sudairy said, stressing the significance of Friday sermons at mosques from individual and social standpoints.

"It is the duty of a khatib to take up the huge responsibility that is growing continuously these days. He should employ this means of communicating in the best possible manner within the general framework of Islamic regulations.

It should educate the Muslims and guide them to their worldly and eternal welfare and to their society's benefit," Al-Sudairy said in his statement.

Islam strongly stresses the need to organize and attend Friday congregational prayers including the sermons in all towns, and it warns against absenting from the compulsory religious duty because of business or other worldly activities, he said.

The khatib delivers the sermons directly before the noon prayer.

A mosque serves as a center for information, education and dispute settlement apart from a place where Muslims can come together for five daily obligatory prayers.

Many ancient centers of learning in Muslim countries were launched in mosques. The same word, "jamiah," is used to mean a mosque and university in Arabic.

In another development, the ministry's branch in Qassim province said it built or repaired 100 mosques at the cost of SR25 million in 2011.

arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article587847.ece
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#684 [Permalink] Posted on 16th March 2012 19:02
Bosnian Muslim undertaking 3600-mile
walking pilgrimage to Mecca

13 March, 2012

Few Muslims who go to Mecca each year for The Hajj do so on two feet. And of the few who do, virtually none do so from their homes in Europe. But Senad Hadzic is trying to do just that - walking from Bosnia to Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

Each year millions of Muslims make the annual pilgrimage to the Saudi city of Mecca.

The Hajj, as it is known, is still far away, at the end of October, but 47-year-old Senad Hadzic has already set off in that direction.

That's because he is on foot.

He started from his hometown in northern Bosnia back in December 2011 and is walking all the way to Mecca - a distance of 3,600 miles. He covers between 12 to 20 miles a day.

Monday, he stopped at The Bosphorus, the waterway that divides Istanbul and separates Europe from Asia.

Just before hitting the road again, Senad Hadzic proudly shows off the meager contents of his backback. He's got a Koran wrapped in plastic for protection against the elements, a bible, maps and flags of the six countries he plans to cross.

"To be honest, before i started on this trip, everybody was frightened for me, asking how will I, as a Muslim, be able to travel though Christian countries like Serbia and Bulgaria," Hadzic said.

But he was never scared. Traveling with very little money, Hadzic says he's depended on the kindness of strangers for much of the 600 miles or so he's walked so far.

"In Serbia, people came out on the street and gave me a hat, or some socks," Hadzic said. "In one case, a professor in Serbia invited me to stay in his house. This Serbian professor, who was a Christian, told me that I was the first Muslim who had stepped in his house in his life. It was a great honor for me."

Istanbul has presented a bit of a snag. He's spent 20 days here, he says, trying to get permission to walk across the Bosphorus bridge connecting Europe to Asia. It's only open to vehicles. Hadzic doesn't even want to mention the details of how he got it resolved.

"I'll tell you, this trip has had millions of problems," Hadzic said. "I'll explain it to you like this: God willing, I'm going to enter Asia today, and then Syria. And I'm not afraid of a tank or a bullet, only God. And then when I get to Mecca I will say a prayer for all of us."

When he finally left the hotel, he was excited to be on his way. Wearing a reflector safety vest and a shabby backpack, with Bosnian and Turkish flags sticking out, it's easy to see how his eccentric character endears him with many that he meets on his way.

"An old Turkish wise man appeared and when he saw that I came from Bosnia to Istanbul on two feet, he offered me the money to sit on an airplane and go directly to Mecca for the Haj," Hadzic said. "But I rejected this."

Hadzic said he must travel by foot because God told him to in a dream. His act of faith is not just for his own benefit but for everyone he meets along the way as well.

"By this act, I am proving that everything I do is for the love of God," Hadzic said. "For all the riches in the world, I would never stop what I am doing."

Walking through this city of 13 million, in a fitting parallel with his quest, he ran into a group of Bosnian tourists. Hadzic is clearly well-known in Bosnia and doesn't need an introduction. After pictures are taken and greetings exchanged, Hadzic ws back on his own.

He's not even half way to Saudi Arabia, Hadzic has already learned a lot.

"The point, my friend, is learning the meaning of 'thank you.' The poor people who live in the countryside love God and support me with generosity. The rich people in the cities love their ATMs," Hadzic said.

After walking the more than 500 miles from Istanbul to the Syrian border, Hadzic said he plans to continue through Syria. It's a bit risky he admitted, but he said he won't feel fear because he's traveling with God.

He plans to wave a Syrian flag with the word "victory" written on it, and pray for the victims of the conflict.

www.pri.org/stories/politics-...ecca-8883.html
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#685 [Permalink] Posted on 17th March 2012 00:33
33,000 Hajis to come from Iraq this year

By ARAB NEWS

Published: Mar 17, 2012 01:03 Updated: Mar 17, 2012 01:03

MAKKAH: About 33,000 pilgrimsfrom Iraq will perform Haj this year, local daily Al-Madinah reported yesterday quoting the adviser to the president of the Iraqi Supreme Haj Authority.

Hussein Jumaa said the authority would train the Iraqi pilgrims on the best and correct methods of performing the ritual before they depart for the Kingdom. The adviser made the statements after a meeting with the chairman of the Tawafa Establishment for Pilgrims of Arab Countries Faisal bin Muhammad Nuh.

Members of the Iraqi Haj mission and members of the board of directors of the Tawafa establishment attended the meeting that discussed all matters related to the Iraqi pilgrims.

arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article588239.ece
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#686 [Permalink] Posted on 17th March 2012 22:26
From an engineer!...it must be the good render

Holy Mosque Expansion
توسيع المسجد الحرام

I (Nasser Khalil Said) work as Senior Structural Engineer ( from Dec. 2010 up to day )
Expansion of Grand Mosque ( Actual Value: 11bn USD )
Client|Saudi Government
Contractors|Main Contractor: Saudi Bin Laden Group
Country|Saudi Arabia
Category|Buildings
Project Duration |From: Q1 2010 ActualTo: Q1 2016 Actual
Status|Construction
Scope|The project call for expansion of Makkah Grand Mosque. The total built up area is 750,000 square metres. The expansion covers the Grand Mosque itself, the external yards, and the service area.
Schedule|Saudi Bin Laden Group was awarded the main construction contract. Project duration is six years.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#687 [Permalink] Posted on 18th March 2012 11:26
Imams are partners in development

Right picture (removed) shows Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal speaking at the workshop for imams in Makkah
on Saturday. Minister of Islamic Affairs, Endowments, Call and Guidance Sheikh Saleh Al-Asheikh is at his right. (SPA)

By JEDDAH: MD AL-SULAMI

Published: Mar 18, 2012 00:59 Updated: Mar 18, 2012 01:13

Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal urged mosque imams and preachers to highlight the lofty ideals of Islam as the divine religion and make use of them in the nation building process. "As partners in development, you have to shoulder great responsibilities to promote Islam as a religion of construction, development and culture that is applicable to all places and time," he said.

Prince Khaled made the remarks while opening a workshop for mosque imams and preachers at the conference hall of Makkah Clock Tower Hotel yesterday. The workshop with the theme of "Mosque and Friday sermon: The responsibility and participation in building human beings" is organized by the Makkah branch of the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Endowments, Call and Guidance.

Prince Khaled Al-Faisal noted that Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that adopted the Holy Qur'an as its constitution and the Tradition of the Prophet (Sunnah) as its way of life. "The Kingdom's system of governance is based on Islamic law, and at present, this law is facing a malicious campaign, which aims to establish that religion is unfit for governing the country and that separation of religion from state is a must. These campaigners want to assert that there is no room for progress without separating religion from state," he said while cautioning imams and preachers to be vigilant in confronting attacks against Saudi Arabia and its government, people, laws and ideals.

While defining the meaning of development, the governor underscored the need for explaining the real values of Islam and making the younger generation known that holy war (Jihad) is neither blowing up oneself nor causing destruction on the streets or to buildings.

"Jihad must start from oneself, and if we want to do it, we have to endeavor in proving to the world that ours is the true religion - the religion of culture and progress not merely through words but through deeds. Our religion is the religion of law, cleanliness, work, sincerity, trust and honesty," he said and asked, "How can we be Muslims as long as our streets remain untidy, and our cities and districts lying unplanned? How can we prove to the world that we are on the right path while there are people among us who give shelter to smugglers and drug traffickers? How can we be satisfied with the presence of unplanned districts in the vicinity of the Holy Kaaba with more than 60 and 50 such districts in Makkah and Jeddah respectively?"

Addressing the opening session, Minister of Islamic Affairs, Endowments, Call and Guidance Sheikh Saleh Al-Asheikh spoke about various activities and programs being implemented by the ministry to develop the capabilities of mosque imams and preachers to enable them to play an effective role in enlightening the members of the society.

Sheikh Muhammad Mirza, imam of Ayesha Mosque in Taneem, delivered a speech on behalf of mosque imams and preachers attending the workshop.

arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article588578.ece
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#688 [Permalink] Posted on 18th March 2012 11:40
Mayfair to Makkah

Lady Evelyn ''Zeinab'' Cobbold

(Photo Removed)
This portrait of Lady Evelyn was made a few years before her visit to Saudi Arabia

Lady Evelyn Cobbold achieved celebrity at age 65, in 1933, when she became the first British-born Muslim woman to perform the pilgrimage to Makkah. She was a Scottish aristocrat, a grandmother and a Mayfair socialite, and an accomplished deerstalker, angler and gardener, and, uniquely, she was both a Muslim and an Arabic-speaker. Yet the story of her colorful career has been overlooked, as has her contribution to the literature of the Hajj. Nor has she been studied for what her life has to say about being a Muslim in a western society.

She was not born into a Muslim family, yet Lady Evelyn claimed to have been a Muslim from as early as she could remember. She disclaimed any moment of conversion, and there is no record of her having formally converted before an imam. She wrote:

“As a child, I spent the winter months in a Moorish villa on a hill outside Algiers…. There I learned to speak Arabic and my delight was to escape my governess and visit the Mosques with my Algerian friends, and unconsciously I was a little Moslem at heart…. Some years went by and I happened to be in Rome staying with some Italian friends when my host asked if I would like to visit the Pope. Of course I was thrilled…. When His Holiness suddenly addressed me, asking if I was a Catholic, I was taken aback for a moment and then replied that I was a Moslem. What possessed me I don’t pretend to know, as I had not given a thought to Islam for many years. A match was lit and I then and there determined to read up and study the Faith.”

On her 1933 pilgrimage, she became the first international traveler to record the buses that had recently begun service in Makkah.

Evelyn was born in Edinburgh in 1867, the eldest child of Charles Adolphus Murray, Seventh Earl of Dunmore, and Lady Gertrude Coke, daughter of the Second Earl of Leicester. Permanently short of money, and with an incurable wanderlust, Lord Dunmore found it both cheap and congenial to take his family to North Africa every winter. Evelyn and her siblings, as they arrived, thus grew up in the company of Algerian and Egyptian nurses and household staff. The impact on young Evelyn was profound. Steeped in the culture and language of everyday life in the Arab Muslim world, she came to feel completely at ease and at home there.

For a relatively poor aristocrat, Evelyn married rather late, at age 24, to John Dupuis Cobbold, scion of a wealthy brewing family in eastern England. They met in Cairo and were married there in April 1891. At her new home in East Anglia, she faced a future of domesticity, relieved by the frequent travels at home and abroad typical of her wealthy contemporaries. Three children arrived between 1893 and 1900, but it is fairly clear that Lady Evelyn found it hard to settle. And the clues to her restlessness have to do with Islam and the Arab world.

An untitled poem she wrote in Cairo in 1889 already evinces a spiritual longing for meaning in life and an affinity with Islam. In it, she wrote:

… The vague longings that filled my soul, Took the form of a prayer I upward sped, To Him, the One, The Essence of All….

And the weird cadence of the Mueddin’s cry Bid the faithful prepare for the day that was nigh….

By 1900, Lady Evelyn was journeying without her husband. She was back in North Africa in 1911, at the age of 43, traveling in Egypt with a female companion. Her book about the trip—Wayfarers in the Libyan Desert, published in 1912 —is a revealing diary, forthright in its admiration for Islam.

From this point on, it becomes increasingly plain that she regarded herself as a Muslim. She was making regular winter visits to Egypt, and a series of letters in Arabic survives from 1914 and 1915, from Arab friends there and in Syria. Some address her as “Our sister in Islam, Lady Zainab,” using her adopted Muslim name. Her friendship from 1915 with the British Muslim Marmaduke Pickthall, who produced one of the most respected renderings of the Qur’an into English, provides further testimony.

By the 1920’s, anecdotal information suggests that Lady Evelyn’s attachment to Islam had become a cause of estrangement from the Cobbold family, and in 1922, she and her husband formally separated. She received a generous financial settlement, including the deer forest of Glencarron in the Highlands, making her a very wealthy woman in her own right. For much of the 1920’s, she was occupied by a cavalcade of grandchildren and by the field sports at which she excelled. But in 1929 her husband died, and it seems that she now began seriously to contemplate performing the pilgrimage to Makkah.

Lady Evelyn in Jiddah

(Photo Removed)
Lady Evelyn’s permission to make her pilgrimage was arranged by Saudi Arabia’s ambassador in London, Shaykh Hafiz Wahba, shown here during one of the visits to England (probably 1935) by HRH Prince Sa’ud ibn ‘Abd al-‘Aziz. Wahba stands on the left and slightly behind the prince; Wahba wrote the original introduction to Lady Evelyn’s Pilgrimage to Mecca.

Lady Evelyn announced her intention to perform the Hajj to Saudi Arabia’s minister in London, Hafiz Wahba, who wrote to King ‘Abd al-‘Aziz in Riyadh requesting formal permission. But, typically for her, she did not wait for a reply, relying instead on a social contact in London to send a letter of introduction to Harry St. John (‘Abd Allah) Philby in Jiddah. Philby had became a Muslim in 1930, and he and his wife, Dora, duly received their unsolicited guest. They introduced her to Jiddah’s small expatriate social circle and even invited the prince (and future king) Faisal to tea to meet the prospective pilgrim. While awaiting permission from the king for Lady Evelyn to go Makkah, Philby arranged for her to travel by car to Madinah, organizing accommodation with a family there.

February 28, 1933: The King is away at Riyad, his capital in Nejd, sixteen days’ camel ride from here, so I fear he will not get the letter his Minister in London wrote him for some time…. Till that letter reaches the King, I must possess my soul in patience, and my time is pleasantly spent bathing in the warm sea within the coral reefs, for fear of sharks, or in motor drives in the desert….

March 2: How I envy the pilgrims we meet on their way to Mecca, while we return to the social life of Jeddah, which would be very pleasant if one were not aware of the mysterious City of Islam hidden in the hills only a few miles from us. Why do we always long for the unattainable, for the Blue Bird which hovers just beyond our reach?

March 9: The Emir Faisal arrived punctually at five o’clock…. It was impressive to see his tall figure enter the doorway clad in a brown and gold Abba over a flowing white robe and the picturesque headdress of Nejd, the Koffeya of diaphanous white bound round his head by black and gold chords—called the Aghal…. The Emir is slender and exceedingly graceful in his movements and, like most Nejd Arabs, has an air of distinction and good breeding….

March 15: Two hundred and fifty miles [400 km] from Jeddah to Medina took us fifteen hours to accomplish and I take off my hat to the little Ford that gallantly carried us through those sandy wastes…. Besides the pilgrims on camels, we met many on foot, toiling slowly through the scorching desert with water jugs in their hands clad in their Ihram (or two towels), and, as they were bare headed, many carried umbrellas. Ten days is the usual time it takes a camel to accomplish the journey between Medina and Jeddah and three weeks for the pilgrim on foot….

As a visiting notable, Lady Evelyn found conditions were not nearly as hard as they were for ordinary pilgrims. The Saudis treated her with extreme courtesy, as befitted her status. And once permission arrived, she would be allowed to go to Makkah—some 70 kilometers (45 mi) away—by car, Philby once again providing her with a vehicle, guide and driver.

(Photo Removed)
At her Glencarron estate in northwest Scotland, Lady Evelyn was known as a superior deerstalker and hunter.

March 12: Today the news has come through that I am permitted to do the pilgrimage to Mecca and visit Medina. I had for so long lived in alternate fits of hope and despair, that I can scarcely credit that my great wish is at last to be fulfilled. Preparations for my journey are in the hands of my host…; while I prepare…my pilgrim dress which consists of a black crepe skirt, very full, and a cape and hood in one, to be worn over ordinary dress when I visit Medina, also a black crepe veil entirely obscuring my features; but for Mecca I shall be entirely in white, no colour is allowed in any garment….

Lady Evelyn arrived in the Hijaz at a historic juncture in Saudi Arabian history. Only just before her arrival, in September 1932, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia had been proclaimed. Oil had not yet been discovered, and the world economy was mired in the Great Depression. The country had no source of income apart from pilgrimage receipts, and in 1933 pilgrims from abroad would slump to an all-time low of just 20,000—down from around 100,000 in the late 1920’s. But economic salvation was in the offing. Lady Evelyn’s visit to Jiddah coincided with the presence of American and British oil company negotiators, and in May 1933 King ‘Abd al-‘Aziz would sign the key concession agreement with the Americans that heralded the end of hard times for the Saudi economy.

March 2: We return to Jeddah and dine at the New Hotel, which was where the American engineers, who have come to try to obtain the oil concessions from the King, are now staying. Their wives, Mrs. [Lloyd] Hamilton and Mrs. [Karl] Twitchell, welcome us and give us an excellent dinner, and the party includes Mr. [Stephen] Longrigg, the English representative of the Iraq Oil Company, who is also here trying to get the concession. Rivalry does not appear to spoil the friendly relations existing between all parties….

The fact that her son-in-law was a director of the Bank of England may also have played a role in winning permission for Lady Evelyn to make her pioneering Hajj, according to Sir Andrew Ryan, then Britain’s minister to Saudi Arabia, who cast a somewhat jaundiced eye on her visit. “Lady Evelyn Cobbold…has been even more successful than anticipated,” he reported. “…If [King] Ibn Saud receives her, her cup of blessing will be overflowing.” In the event, Lady Evelyn did not meet the king, although she saw him when he arrived by car on the day of the Standing at ‘Arafat, a key ritual of the Hajj.

This photo of the corner of the Great Mosque in Makkah was first published in 1925 in Cairo by Ibrahim Rif’at, and Lady Evelyn reprinted it in Pilgrimage to Mecca.

March 26: I am in the Mosque of Mecca, and for a few seconds I am lost to my surroundings because of the wonder of it. We are walking on white marble through a great vault whose ceiling is a full fifty feet above us, and enter pillared cloisters holding the arched roof and surrounding an immense quadrangle…. I had never imagined anything so stupendous…. We walk on to the Holy of Holies, the house of Allah [the Ka’bah] rising in simple majesty. It would require a master pen to describe the scene, poignant in its intensity of the great concourse of humanity of which I was one small unit, completely lost to their surroundings in a fervour of religious enthusiasm…. I felt caught up in a strong wave of spiritual exaltation….

Pilgrimage to Mecca, published in 1934, is Lady Evelyn’s fascinating account of her journey to the holy cities. As much a record of an interior experience of faith as a conventional travelogue, the book is remarkable for its sympathy and vividness. It takes the form of a diary, punctuated with lengthy digressions intended to help her readers understand Islam. They address topics such as the Qur’an, the life of the Prophet, Islamic history and science, the position of women, King ‘Abd al-‘Aziz’s achievements and Islamic principles relating to warfare and tolerance.

March 21: Having discoursed on the subject of tolerance, we pass on to discuss the crisis the world is now facing, and the emancipation of women. The sheikhs show some amusement, tempered with admiration at the methods adopted by the Western woman to win herself a place in the sun; their sympathy is all on the side of the ladies. Though I occasionally caught a twinkle in the eye of Sid Ahmed, and both the sheikhs often smiled, I never heard them give way to loud laughter….

Most remarkable about her book, however, is that as a lone female Muslim, she was able to witness something veiled from every western traveler before her: the female side of domestic life in the two holy cities. This, and her religious commitment, set the account apart from all other English-language descriptions of the Hijaz that had gone before.

March 27: My hostess had already initiated me into the secrets of the harem or women’s quarters; the bakehouse where the bread is baked to supply the needs of the large company at present inhabiting the house; the great kitchen where she, the ladies and slaves all help in cooking and preparing the food; the laundry where more slaves are busy washing; while the three pretty nieces are ironing and folding away the household linen; the work-room where they sit sewing and gossiping….

April 1: As I have been granted the great privilege of being received as a guest in this Mecca household I feel it is up to me to refute the false impressions that still exist in the West about the harem. Not only in this house, but in every harem I have visited in Arabia I have found my host with only one wife. Far from being a sensuous life of ease these ladies are busy with their household duties; at the same time living a happy, even a gay life, entertaining their friends and having their own amusements and festive occasions.

Uplifted but thoroughly exhausted by the rituals of the Hajj, Lady Evelyn received special dispensation from the king to end her pilgrimage before the usual culmination at the three-day Feast of Sacrifice, ‘Id al-Adha. Though she extols the egalitarianism of Islam and the way in which the Hajj symbolically makes all people equals before God, she was not averse to taking advantage of her social status. Her host at Makkah generously made available to her the entire roof of his rented house at Mina, where otherwise all his womenfolk would have slept for the sake of the cool night air. At the Standing at ‘Arafat, the same host invited her to share his tent, with its view of Jabal al-Rahmah, with his male guests. She readily accepted, not least because it was cooler, the women being consigned to a hot bell-shaped tent behind, where they could neither see nor be seen. When challenged by a pious passerby suspicious of her reading matter in the car on the way to ‘Arafat (it was Charles Doughty’s Arabia Deserta), her response was to declare robustly: “This is an English book, and I am an English Moslem and I am here on pilgrimage by permission of the King!” A lesser mortal might not have got away with it so easily. During her return voyage by sea, officials spared her the rigors of the full quarantine, giving her special quarters at Port Sudan and allowing her to leave after three days instead of the regulation five.

A family makes its way to Makkah. The third camel in line bears a covered shelter called shibriyyah, which Lady Evelyn noted carried three members of the family.

However, she revealed her fundamental sincerity while waiting to depart from Makkah on April 7 when, on her final return through the city, she found that she could not after all stomach Doughty because of his inability to fathom Islam. Instead, she took up the only other book she had brought with her, an Arabic Qur’an, and was “soon immersed in the beautiful sura ‘Light,’” she noted. She had found that, after all, the suspicious passerby might have had a point.

Even before she returned to London, the newspapers made her an instant celebrity. The popular press viewed her pilgrimage as something out of the Arabian Nights while, in 1934, the more serious papers gave Pilgrimage to Mecca a favorable reception.

But what sort of Muslim was Lady Evelyn, and how should we regard her today? Though clearly firm in her faith, there is no record, during her life at home, of strict performance of the five daily prayers, or of charity to the poor and needy. No doubt she had uttered the shahadah, or declaration of faith, on various occasions, and there is some anecdotal evidence of fasting during Ramadan. But, of the Five Pillars of Islam, going on the Hajj seems to have been the one to which that she paid the most attention.

There is a long history of British converts to Islam before her time, going back at least to the Crusades. But Lady Evelyn belongs in a later category: that of educated converts in Britain itself in the late 19th century. She was contemporary with various other eminent Muslims of this type—Abdullah Quilliam, Lord Headley, Lord Hothfield and Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall, to name but a few.

Although Lady Evelyn lectured extensively in Britain about her book, there is no sign that she saw her faith as having special public and social implications. She apparently regarded Islam as a matter of private conviction and subscribed to it on her own terms. But there is no doubting that her faith was deeply held during her very long life. She lived for 30 years after her pilgrimage, dying in January 1963, one of the coldest months of the century in Britain. She was buried in arctic conditions but according to the precepts of Islam and, as she had stipulated, on a remote hillside on her Glencarron estate.

Her interment symbolized her two worlds: A piper, so frozen that he was hardly able to walk, let alone perform, played “MacCrimmon’s Lament,” and the equally refrigerated imam of the Woking Mosque in London declaimed in Arabic the surah “Light,” which she had found so moving in Makkah. A verse from the same surah adorns the flat slab on her grave, over which the deer undoubtedly wander, just as she had wished.

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issu....to.makkah.htm

William Facey (william.facey@arabia.uk.com) has spent his career as a museum consultant, writer and publisher on the Arabian Peninsula. He worked and traveled widely there during the 1970’s and 1980’s, and since then his books have established him as a well-known author on the region. He is currently director of Arabian Publishing Ltd., London.

+1 -0Like x 1
#689 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2012 18:13
FABULLAAAAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(edit-email address removed)

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#690 [Permalink] Posted on 19th March 2012 18:24
There is no need for posting email addresses.

Jazakallahu khair.
No post ratings

Jump to page: