Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 26th January 2011 10:56

Salaam.

This is a mock Boycott of Islamic goods. Sounds strange but believe you me, I feel it.

There was a discussion on Sunniforum on "Tales for Children", and there is one here "Where does Allah live" They are both connected as parents are wanting to know what to do for their children.

In both of the forums, the issue of cost has come up. The cost of Islamic School fees is one thing where we dont have much of a choice. But the cost of Islamic goods is another.

I take my children to the Islamic shops as much as possible and spend a lot of money there, but it amazes me that the cost of these items are SKY HIGH, WHY?

We walk into a non Islamic store and the same item (This time without the islamic appeal) would be less than half the price. WHY?

Story books cost an arm and a leg, WHY? an Islamic colouring book with 20 pages will cost £5 and a coluring book with 1000 pages will cost £1 in the Non Muslim Shops, WHY?

Halal Sweets cost a bomb, the same Haram Sweets are pennies, WHY?

Islamic Clothing is so expensive, we rather dress our Children in Kuffar clothing, WHY?

Fragrances in Harrods will cost £30 for 100ml bottle yet a copy of the same fragrance will cost £10 for a 5ml bottle, imagine if we had bought 100ml of the Muslim copy, it would cost us £500. WHY?

We get fooled into buying attar that cost £3 for a 6ml bottle when we could go to Selfridges and get the same/even better fragrance for £20 for a 100ml bottle. Do the Maths.

It so sad that Islamic products have copyrights and the websites that are there to guide us also have copy rights, WHY?

I understand in somecases that the cost of material needs to be considered and that they can buy in bulk, but what do all these Islamic nations do. What do the Kuffar do, they import and export goods. Why cant we do the same thing.

Should the prices come down or should these business people be allowed to drive in their Mercedes and BMWs (Not that I have seen any one, just a figure of speech)

It is cheaper to live the life of a kafir. How sad.

Please Show your Support.

Is it Daylight roberry in the name of Islam?

report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 26th January 2011 11:04
Muslim Parents have to put up with the high costs of Islamic goods/food and the Kuffar dont.

Muslim Parents have additional cost that the Kuffar will never have, i.e. Mosque fees, Islamic education fees, Islamic books for study etc etc.

Yet the Muslim parents with the Barraka of Allah still mange to live a better life than the Kuffar.

AlHumdulillah, but the prices are still too high.

InshaAllah, Allah will reward us for our efforts and increase faith and zeal for seeking great Islamic knowledge.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 26th January 2011 12:37
Salam,

One reason is that Islamic goods are produced in only hundreds or maybe thousands. Non-Islamic goods are mass produced in millions and distributed all over the country.

The more you produce the cheaper it gets. Hence, even at low prices the profit is decent.

I wouldn't exactly blame the sellers. There's just not enough demand, not enough competition in the industry and the resellers don't make it any better either. Book prices on retail are like £3.50 and £4.95 so what can the sellers do?

At the same time, after all that is said above, I know Islamic goods sellers who have a 100% profit policy so I see your point too. It could be better. Good topic
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 26th January 2011 13:06

"Yasin" wrote:
Salam, One reason is that Islamic goods are produced in only hundreds or maybe thousands. Non-Islamic goods are mass produced in millions and distributed all over the country. The more you produce the cheaper it gets. Hence, even at low prices the profit is decent. I wouldn't exactly blame the sellers. There's just not enough demand, not enough competition in the industry and the resellers don't make it any better either. Book prices on retail are like £3.50 and £4.95 so what can the sellers do? At the same time, after all that is said above, I know Islamic goods sellers who have a 100% profit policy so I see your point too. It could be better. Good topic

Jazakallah, I'm glad you agree. But have you ever noticed that most of these products are from India, Pakistan, Turkey, China or Thailand.  The goods that come from abroad are also produced in the millions. Every Islamic shop has them.

Sometimes I buy a book that has the price of 50Rupees written on it, which is less than 50p here, yet I end up paying more than a fiver. (may not be accurate, but its an idea of things)

Over 50% of the items sold are not produced in this country, it gets imported.

When I go away on holiday, InshaAllah I intend on buying a lot of CD's, Books, Perfumes, Clothes etc to bring back. Last time I went on Holiday, I bought CD's & DVD's for less then 50p each. I didnt buy any books as they were to heavy. (Okay, so the CD's and DVD's were copies, so what, makes no difference to me).

I will need to get white Thawbs (Jabbah) for my sons uniform, perfect timming, otherwise I would be spending a fortune here. Sorry to the local business', but "a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do".  By man, I mean Parent. (Thats on top of the school fees etc)

Shops here sell T-Shirts for £2-£3, Yes they buy them in thousands, but the same T-Shirt is then used and some form of Islamic Logo printed on it and then sold for £10. Halal earning, but unjust. (although this is not the case all the time)

No post ratings
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 26th January 2011 14:18
My opinion here only:

To me, there's 2 things.
Import costs, business rates, taxes, employee costs, shop costs and other small costs along with the item's cost itself. So selling from shops is difficult to price it reasonably unless the seller himself buys in huge huge quantity.

Then there's the Islamic shops online (to me true daylight robbery) - I tried to order Halaal Sweets online. 4 packets (commonly around £2 in shops when Haraam) was coming upto £14 including postage. I really did not need the sweets that badly.

Online there's 2 costs: Hosting which is cheap and P&P along with the item cost obviously. It should be extremely cheap or at least reasonable.

So to me, high street shops is difficult to get it cheap but they can and should make it reasonable to promote Islamic goods. Online shops should be even cheaper considering there's still postage to add.

I always believe that more sales = more profit when margin is low than less sales with higher profits when alternative non-islamic goods are available.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 26th January 2011 14:22

"Yasin" wrote:
- I tried to order Halaal Sweets online. 4 packets (commonly around £2 in shops when Haraam) was coming upto £14 including postage. I really did not need the sweets that badly.

At least you made me laugh, Thanks for that. There is a bright side to this topic.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 1st June 2012 13:21
There's a book shop close by and I saw a paper back book around 7 pages and it was almost £3

Is the price on the contents? I don't get it. Islamic goods are way overpriced and I dont think they have any excuse except for greed. Lets hope im wrong
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 1st June 2012 15:36
I believe the more you spend in the way of Deen, Allah gives you more. Irrespective of price/quantity. It's just a test, Allah will never leave us deprived or falling short of anything. Afterall everything we have belongs to Allah, nothing belongs to us, we came empty handed and will leave empty handed.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 1st June 2012 17:00
Spending in the way of Deen is fine. But wasting when there's right priced alternatives is not fine. That's my point here. How can "conning" in the name of Islam be justified with the above reasons?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 1st June 2012 18:24
It's really wierd where in countries like Dubai, Morocco, Tunisia, etc, things like the Islamic stuff is very cheap, but things we buy very cheaply here, I.e. supermarket foodstuff, toiletries and clothes, are extremely expensive, that you would be put off from buying them. In some countries water is dearer then branded fizzy drinks.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 1st November 2013 12:37
السلام عليكم

I don't really want to open up a whole new topic because this is somewhat related.

Islamic schools! What is your take on them? Are they for real or are they a gimmick?

Please try not name anyone or any schools, but simply put forward your thoughts and ideas as to how we can turn this gimmick around and make it Islamic.

My main concerns are with my child, the child just cant take it at school anymore. We couldn't understand why or what the issue was. We kept blaming ourselves for being bad parents and not giving enough attention to etc.

After having a meeting with the head teacher, the head came to the conclusion that my child must be under a lot of pressure either at home or at Madresa, since the school has a good environment. I put my points forward and said I would consider my options and take it from there.

So I sat down with my child and asked if they'd prefer to leave Madresa to concentrate in the Islamic school. My child went ballistic. Leaving Madresa was not something they would consider, at all. In fact it's Madresa where they have more fun and peace.

So I asked if they would rather move school etc and again the response was no! Finally I got my child to write me a report of what they disliked. It turns out the it is one of the teachers of the Islamic school who and I quote "Are very rude, have a bad attitude and always shouting"

I had another chat with the head teacher explaining that the advise I was given has in fact backfired on the school. Apparently, its the teacher who is the cause of such pressure and depression on the young child.

What is a young child supposed to do?

We send our children to Islamic schools in the hope that they learn Islamic akhlaq and manners from their teachers and fellow students. (Obviously, akhlaq is learnt at home and MashaAllah, my children have great Akhlaq, to the extent that in some instances the teachers say they have learnt from them.

What can a parent do with such a Gimmick? Because it definitely is not Islamic!

I don't wish to expose any school or teacher, nor give a hint at the gender of the school as this may give its identity away. Hope you understand

جزاك الله خيرا
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 1st November 2013 13:02
I've had experience with many Islamic schools, 6 in total, some aspects of the schooling system worked only in some schools, but varied across all six with no consistency between all of them.

What ones strength was in one school was a great failure in another. In my opinion emphasis on Akhlaq was poor in most areas in all the schools, with one particular school having extremely poor communication and social skills not only with students but also with parents. Most schools were not open to courteous or polite constructive comments or suggestions, parents were not encouraged to communicate with school for any concerns or issues.

To my deepest disappointment and sadness none of the schools ever emphasized teaching in terms of, common courtesy, self esteem or confidence building in the child, it was always about standards in education compared to other state funded and non state funded schools in and around the area.

+2 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 1st November 2013 14:52
والسلام

Brothers and sisters, when it comes to schools, madrasas, or any institution of learning (even homeschooling) and children's temperaments, behaviours, learning styles etc. - there is no one-size-fits-all school nor is there a single thing in the duniya we can point to and say 'this is the sole reason for x.'
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 1st November 2013 18:00
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

i made 2 mistakes...

1. sending my kids to an 'islamic' school.
2. taking them out and sending them to a 'better islamic' school.

in the end i took them out of school altogether and now homeschool them.

'islamic' schools are islamic, the same way 'islamic' countries of today are islamic.
+4 -0Like x 3Agree x 1
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd November 2013 15:43
I just had a phone call from my wife who went into an Islamic school to collect our daughter.

My daughter has only just joined the school due to space limits and is currently in the 3rd year of primary school.

My wife was asked to come into the office where the person in charge was a man. He was very angry and started to throw my daughters text books onto the table in front of my wife and shouting saying "This is unacceptable, she needs to start again from year 1 to meet our standards, this no good", then he took his glasses off and threw them down onto the table too. My wife was very upset at his tone and language and on top of that another man knocked on the door and asked for permission to come whilst my wife was there, so the first man said in his native language, "yeh, come in, its fine" then this guy just stood there watching my wife!!!!! What the hell! He stood there through out the meeting. She was very upset and stressed.

The school is complaining because my daughter still goes Madresah and they insist we pull her out. Thats not going to happen, my daughter loves it there.

Now it looks like they just want to get rid of my daughter simply because she doesnt meet their standard.

It is so obvious now that this school filters out their students, disrespects the parents and children to put them off and then indirectly forces them out of the school.

What can we do as parents?

We've already contacted the learning trust to re apply for a new school, so my daughter will be stuck in the disrespectful yet number 1 school in the city.

I want all my money back from these rip offs.

I'm really angry and very soon, I'll be exposing this school and writing to ofsted too. I'm going to have a chat with their shura members and show them their disgusting schools reality.
No post ratings