Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

I just got scammed.

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 24th August 2020 20:21
Few recent attempts at scamming me by fraudsters.

(1) Got e-mail saying my pay pal account had been suspended. Asking me to go to website to update my details.

I dont have a Paypal account so just deleted that. Googled found out it is common scam going around. People enter details on a clone website and their account gets emptied out.

(2) Got several text message purporting to be from my Mobile phone network. Saying my monthly payment had not gone through and I needed to up date my bank details on a cloned website. So they could steal my money.

Deleted that and blocked number.

(3) Kept getting missed phone calls from far flung locations most commonly Comoros Islands in Africa.

I would put the number on auto-reject and then they would ring from different number.

Googled "Comoros Island" scam and google says its something called a Wangiri scam. They give you a missed call and if you are gullible enough to ring back. Then your number goes to a premium rate number with a recorded message. The longer you listen to that recording the more money they make.

www.irishtimes.com/1.3260810
report post quote code quick quote reply
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 25th August 2020 05:19
Whenever I get an email about someone having come across a great fortune and wanting to share that with me as part of a joint "business" venture, I email them back saying I would need some upfront money transferred to an account of my choosing to confirm that they are serious about doing the business.

They never reply back for some reason.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 25th August 2020 06:06
fod1083 wrote:
View original post

They think you will scam them ;)
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 25th August 2020 11:22
Never click on the Ads, that pop up as the first few search results. They're not necessarily always scams, but sometimes they're companies that charger you for services that are otherwise free on the official website (remember watching documentary on this). If you want more insight on how scammers work, watch Jim Browning on YouTube.

Some basic advice, if you get an email from anyone telling you your account has been hacked or to log in, never click on the link or ring the telephone number on the email. Go to the official website and find the customer contact number and give them a call to find out what's happening.

Never give confidential information like password, pin numbers, card details etc. to anyone, especially if the person is calling you. Always ring the official number on an alternative line (as sometimes even when you disconnect the call you remain connected to existing line and the scammers will transfer it to a friend ) and find out if the caller is legitimate. Never give anyone control of your PC.

Never give you phone number on kids apps or apps that don't need it, as they sometimes start charging on your phone bill.

When your purchasing online, always check the Web address to see if it looks legitimate and look for review on the website. Always ring the company your purchasing from or speak to them directly to ensure you have the correct bank details/information before transferring money i.e. If purchasing a house go to the office to get details, do not use details over the phone or email, as scammers can access emails and hijack the process.

If your purchasing over £100, buy with your credit card, as it is insured.