Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Arfatzafar
Rank Image
London
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 16:35
MashaAllah.

You can change the spelling so you can cope with more inshaAllah.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 16:40
Become so special and effective ummah that they start following our names, spellings and trends to blend in our environment instead of the other way around.
+1 -0Agree x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 16:50

Indian Joke

We have one of the elders in America who is from Bangalore (India), Pathan guy 6'5" and in his family they have names like

1. Muhammad Mutazallazaluz-Zaman Abdur-Rahmaan Ubaydullah Khan
  2. Muhammad Murasaleenur-Rahmaan Abdur-Rahmaan Ubaydullah Khan

In 1992 when Pakistan won the world cup he went to India and his Sister had a baby boy. They brought the boy to the Airport so he asked for the name.

Everybody was really scared until his Sister told him, "Bhai, we have named him Imran Khan

He gave the baby back and said, "Astgahfirullah! You have dstroyed our family lineage..."

Look at this baby...Looks weak, what kind of name is "Imran Khan"???

He is still angry on "Imran Khan" in 2018

Imran Khan by the way is now a "Mufti Imran Khan" in Bangalore.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 17:24
Well it's still easier than Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Ossas

Halalified YouTube Audio

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjdQ-dIWkxA
I'm sure his friends call him Ossas or even Ozi which unfortunately is short for Usman/Osman
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 17:26
Assalamu alaikum

Why do we need to blend in with the non-Muslims? We should keep our identity separate. Also we have ahadith that the best names are Muhammad and Abdur-Rahman and the names of Anbiya عليهم السلام.

I would go with strategy 1.
+1 -0Agree x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 17:29
Are we allowed to vary names to fit local language. Like Mehmet is Turkish for Muhammed. In the baltic countries names end alot in Vic so abdullahvic Muhammedvic. And in Finland n Iceland they can end in sons5. Umarson
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 17:30
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Ossas is not the longest anymore!
See this: youtu.be/H6ncne5Qw7g
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 19:00
Yes there are the hadith with the virtues of some names. I assume these names would be recommended over other names of the sahaba (?). Yet still all Muslims don't chose those namesand they aren't obliged too, so there is no sin or looking down on them if they choose a different name (which we agree on).

We are accustomed to names like Aftab, Javed and Iqbal which are non Arabic names. When did they become 'Muslim' names, or were they always considered Muslims names? If so why?

Regarding reverts i definitely don't see the reason for the over emphasis us Asians give to having converts change their names. As soon as they take shahada someone present asks about what name they would like. We have this concept that they must change their name and adopt some Arabic name.

Converts like Ustadh Abdus Shakur and Sh Joe Bradford have spoken of the negative effects of this. I read a response from Ustadh Salman Yunas that this isn't required, and here is a fatwa from askimam on naming a child :

Salam,
Brother i would like to ask a small question which is having a impact on my family's.

My wife has just given birth to a beautiful boy,
She is adament that she would like to keep the name Noah which i dont mind. However my family disagree and advised as it is a biblical name we should not call him this as it is sinful. They have advised that we should call in nuh instead.

On the birth registration my wife would like to put Noah and my last name.

My question is it haraam or sinful to keep our childs name noah and register in on the birth certificate as that? Or do we need to put the arabic name on to stop the sin.

Jzkallah khair
Answer
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
May Allah make your son the coolness of your eyes. Ameen.
In principle, it is not prohibited to keep a non-Arabic name which does not have a bad meaning or anything un-Islamic about it.
It is advisable to keep the names of the Prophets, Sahaabah and the pious predecessors.
Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam said:
قال رسولُ الله -صلى الله عليه وسلم-: "تَسَمَّوْا بأسَماءِ الأنبياء، وأحَبُّ الأسماءِ إلى الله: عَبدُ الله وعبدُ الرحمن، وأصدَقُها: حارِثٌ وهَمَّامٌ، وأقْبَحُها: حَرْبٌ ومُرَّة"
Translation: Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam said: Call yourselves by the names of the Prophets. The names dearest to Allah are Abdullah and AbdurRahman, the truest are Harith and Hammam, and the worst are Harb and Murrah.
Keeping the above Hadith in mind, we would advise you to keep the name Nooh that is the Arabic version of Noah.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mahomed Yasser Iunus Hussen
Student Darul Iftaa
Mozambique
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/41655
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 19:06

bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

W-Salam, 

I understand your point of view but in my mind Islam does not force things on local culture otherwise there would be no "Farzana" and "Jehangir" in Pakistan

Concerned wrote:
View original post

White Muslim with the name "Jehangir" would be certainly weird :P

I have met White Muslims called Feroz and women called "Naseem" many of these around...

Quote:

Mahomed Yasser Iunus Hussen

What is this name? Isnt this an Islamic name in local culture???

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 19:16
Names like Javed, Aftab, Farzana, Jahangir are not Islamic but it is permissible to keep them, though I do not like these names personally.

PS. This Aftab name made me remember Tarek Fatah (a hypocrite who calls himself Muslim). He was spewing venom in a talkshow as usual and saying why don't Muslims name their children 'Sooraj' (Indian/Hindu name) instead of 'Aftab' and he himself named his daughter Natasha.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2019 22:03
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Isn't Feroze Persian and linked to Zoroastrianism? Wasn't the kafir who stabbed Hazrat Umar رضي الله عنه a fire worshipper called Feroz?

While doing gusht a car pulled up full of Bradford PAKIStanis. They dumped a white guy on us. They basically said this guy has just become a muslim. His name is Asif Khan now. Look after him. And drove off.

Isn't it important to preserve our Islamic identity and culture especially when living in a non muslim country? Didn't the ulama of deoband make English style coats haram as Muslims started to wear them due to the influence of the English?

Personally I think it's very important to preserve our Islamic identity and culture in this day and age where western and non muslim culture has spread throughout the world, especially for those who live in non muslim countries. I remember a time where we were embarrassed by our names and even laughed at by teachers in the classroom. We used to be embarrassed of Islamic style clothing as well. We used to hide our faces from non muslim school friends when we used to dress in Islamic clothes to go to the maktab after school. Alhamdulillah now things have changed.
No post ratings
Rank Image
India
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2019 02:41
Generally, Name of south Indian Muslim is long.

Former president and scientist:

Dr Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam

No post ratings