Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

fasting on ashura

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 1st October 2016 12:18
salam

not sure if i posted this before. there are some hadith regarding fasting on ashura which seem to contradict one another and also not make any logical sense. can someone reconcile please. they are as follows

1) there is a hadith in which aisha رضي الله عنه says the makkans used to fast on the 10th ( prior to hijra) and if i rememebr correctly the prophet used to keep this fast too

2) the prophet saw jews fasting in madinah and asked why, when told he said we have a greater right on Musa (as) so we will fast too

3) the sahaba told the prophet jews fast on the 10th, so prophet said if i live to next year il add one fast to it

1)what i want to know is if the prophet (saw) kept fast in makkah why was it new to him in madinah?
2)n the 10years prophet lived in madinah how comes he only found out on the final year jews kept a fast?
3) if the jews told the prophet why they fasted why did the sahaba have to inform him and tell him we should be different hence fasting on 9th and 11th as well

ps the hadith of aisha رضي الله عنه i will try find it as im not 100% if she said rasoolullah (saw) kept the fast himself or if just the mushriks did it but from what i remember it was a fast they all did

please respond with answers to questions i asked as opposed to sending long articles
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 1st October 2016 22:31
Where there any Jews in Makkah before hijrah?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd October 2016 11:11
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

not that i am aware off but i think they used to come for trading
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd October 2016 11:35
The reason for fasting Ashuraa was twofold. Before Hijrah, it was a day when the Ka`bah was dressed and was fasted by Quraish (Bukhari and Muslim). After the Hijrah, Muslims found that it was also a day the Jews of Madinah fasted and the Prophet fasted it too. Thus, it became among the Islamic acts of worship regardless of what the Jews did or did not do.

An interesting read. Hope people don't start questioning the deen with Shia thoughts :)
www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/archive/index.php/t-7079.html
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd October 2016 12:19
My issue is not why we fast but why prophet (saw) only realised in his final year. Jews had been in madinah since hijrah. Also in one hadith i mention it seems prophet was not aware the jews fastes until sahaba told him. This contradicts hadith where prophet found out himself when he saw and questioned the jews
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd October 2016 17:08
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

You've said 10 Years, which seems like such a long time. But if you think about it, its actually only 7/8 or 8/9 days in total because Muharram came much later after Hijra and The Prophet (saw) never saw the last! So it wasn't 10 years or even 10 Fast of Ashura. Not only that, out of these 7-9 days, how many times was the Prophet not near any Yahood? Allahu Alum

See link above with response by Jalal Abualrub (last post, half way down)
No post ratings