Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

4th Infantry Brigade Headquarter Staff Visit to a West Yorkshire Mosque

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 14th May 2016 00:33
Brigade Headquarter staff took off their boots and socks and washed their feet as part of a visit to a West Yorkshire mosque this week.

The visit, organised by charity group, Kumon Y’All based in Dewsbury was to build relationships between the Army and British Asians in the area.

The officers visited the Zakaria Mosque in Chapel Street and were shown the prayer rooms and classrooms. The soldiers also visited the Institute of Islamic Education, a boarding school and darul uloom (Islamic seminary) in South Street. The school provides a full-time education as well as training Imams, Islamic studies teachers and scholars in order to benefit the communities to which they return. The students aged between 12 and 16 gave a presentation to the military visitors on respecting parents, teachers and elders.

Colonel Mike Butterwick, the Deputy Commander of 4th Infantry Brigade, addressed the school and soldiers on the similarities between them all.

“Do you know what really binds us together, this great religion of Islam and this great institution called the British Army?” said Colonel Butterwick.

“It is our values. I have been in the Army 22 years this year and have got to a reasonable level and what is it that has got me there? What is it that makes the team successful? It is hard work, discipline, courage – not just on the battlefield - but courage to do the right thing, moral courage. It is selfless commitment, that thing about doing something for somebody else and putting yourself last – I am sure your teachers talk about this all the time - and it is truthfulness, we call it integrity. Believe it or not, this institution of the British Army is many things but it is these values that bind us together and bind you together as well.”

During the floods in the North of England in November and December, Kumon Y’All sent volunteers to work alongside the British Army as they built flood defences and cleared up the aftermath.

“Our group has had more than 200 young people working on many projects and this was one of the projects that they chose,” said Molana Farook. "When we heard what had happened in Cumbria, we felt the pain. We said, let’s share in this pain and go and help the flood victims.”

And they did, working with other local Muslim community groups and soldiers from 2nd Battalion The Duke Of Lancaster's Regiment.

Following the flood efforts, contact was made and the Army officers’ visit to Savile Town was deemed a success.

“The Army is a lot of very powerful people and I am very passionate about tapping into that resource and using it for the betterment of society,” said Molana Farook. “I feel really happy that today they have come, we have met and had a few hours together. I feel that our relationship is getting better and stronger.and we can use that for what we want to achieve.”

Plans are now afoot for the Army to take part in the annual football tournament in Saviletown in July and for a future visit by Kumon Y’All to Catterick.

“It has been a fantastic day – we have learned so much and we have been warmly welcomed by everybody we have talked to,” said Colonel Butterwick. “What it does is bust myths and the more myth-busting we can do, he more we understand each other.”
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 14th May 2016 00:34
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 14th May 2016 00:38
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 14th May 2016 10:23
isnt this the same mosque that has two jamats for every prayer due to politics lol
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 14th May 2016 10:56
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

No that was in bolton
No post ratings