abuzayd2k
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 20:23
Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah

I read the following on islamqa.info

Quote:
And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Flee from the leper as you would flee from a lion.” Leprosy is a serious disease that is transmitted quickly and kills the one who catches it. It was even said that it is a plague. Hence the command to flee from the leper so that the disease will not be transmitted from him to you.

islamqa.info/amp/en/answers/45694

But in my surgery book it is stated that for leprosy to be transmitted close contact over a long duration (several years) is required.

I am confused. If anyone has knowledge about this please share.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 20:30

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 21:07
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

W-Salam,

Are you serious or are you kidding? OR have you emigrated from Pakistan to South Africa? :P
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 21:16
Salaam

I can't comment on the hadith, but what I do know is that modern medicine is not as foolproof as we think it is or is made out to be.
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 21:20
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Why do you think I won't be serious? I am.
+2 -0Like x 1Creative x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 21:28

Explanation for Non-South Africans

This is a good question and the classic "insertion" of Salafees into Hadeeth so the text and commentary becomes intertwined.

Actual Hadeeth

Loading Hadeeth

Everything in the above translation after note is not from Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam).

This Hadeeth must be understood as explained by Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) and the companions. When we read the commentary from Imam Al-Hafidh Ibn Hajar Asqalani (HA) we realise that Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) is telling Muslims to run away from leprosy like you run away from a lion i.e. run away in terms of safety and not in terms of speed!

Imam Al-Hafidh Ibn Hajar Asqalani (HA) then brings the following Hadeeth to make the point even clearer:

عَن أبي هُرَيْرَة أَن النَّبِي صلى الله عَلَيْهِ وَسلم قَالَ: اتَّقوا المجذوم كَمَا يَتَّقِي الْأسد

Sayyiduna Abu Hurairah (RA) narrates that Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) said to fear a leper like you fear a lion (Ibn Hibban).

Insertion into Fatwa:

The following line is neither from Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) nor from commentators of the Hadeeth, It is an insertion by the Saudees, perhaps based on the medical understanding of their country.

والجذام مرض خبيث معد بسرعة ويتلف صاحبه

Leprosy is a serious disease that is transmitted quickly and kills the one who catches it

Leprosy was considered extremely deadly and quickly contagious once upon a time:

www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/leprosy-...

webmd wrote:

Leprosy is an infectious disease that causes severe, disfiguring skin sores and nerve damage in the arms, legs, and skin areas around the body. The disease has been around since ancient times, often surrounded by terrifying, negative stigmas and tales of leprosy patients being shunned as outcasts. Outbreaks of leprosy have affected, and panicked, people on every continent. The oldest civilizations of China, Egypt, and India feared leprosy was an incurable, mutilating, and contagious disease.

However, leprosy is actually not that contagious. You can catch it only if you come into close and repeated contact with nose and mouth droplets from someone with untreated leprosy. Children are more likely to get leprosy than adults.

Personal Note

In this Hadeeth Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) has beautifully and succinctly explained the issue of "contagious and infectious" diseases to simple people i.e.:

1. You don't need to worry about the speed
  2. You don't need to worry about the deadliness
  3. You don't need to worry about the cure

Just run away like you would run away from a lion. If you are confronted with a lion you don't worry about speed, deadliness or treatment, you run like hell!

This reminds me of Doctors trying to explain CoronaVirus (COVID-19) in the Masjid with Ro and no touch techniques when you just need to explain to laymen:

Prevention is better than Cure

As an Ex-Medic, this Hadeeth makes perfect sense to me! Imagine trying to explain contagious disease to simple villagers in a way that they can understand? Can you think of a better way of saying it? Absolutely not possible!

P.S: The issue obviously lost in South Africa...
+5 -0Like x 3Winner x 2
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 21:49
Sorry, the Internet connection to the forum keeps dropping, the post above is now complete with what I wanted to say...
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 21:52
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Quote:
Personal Note

In this Hadeeth Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) has beautifully and succinctly explained the issue of "contagious and infectious" diseases to simple people i.e.:

You don't need to worry about the speed
You don't need to worry about the deadliness
You don't need to worry about the cure

Just run away like you would run away from a lion. If you are confronted with a lion you don't worry about speed, deadliness or treatment, you run like hell!

This reminds me of Doctors trying to explain CoronaVirus (COVID-19) in the Masjid with Ro and no touch techniques when you just need to explain to laymen:

Prevention is better than Cure

Yes that makes it clear! بارك الله فيك
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 22:01
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

But it needs to be clear that Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam) never said that it spread quickly or kills everyone who catches it!

This information depends on the era and medical advancement, it was true observation once upon a time by the people but the Hadeeth does not say this...

In my childhood, chickenpox was deadly and in my youth Malaria was deadly and in my old age COVID-19 is deadly...

+5 -0Like x 4Agree x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 6th July 2020 02:13
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

No one's made that claim here about modern medicine, so... facepalm.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 6th July 2020 07:49
abuzayd2k wrote:
View original post

The original post was regarding an apparent contradiction between hadith and the understanding of modern medicine. My comment was to highlight the fact that modern medicine is not absolute. I.e if there is a contradiction then it is down to human error.

The facepalm here is your inability to process and digest information to its natural conclusion, which is not a defining weakness of your character in itself, but the shortcoming is in your failure to seek confirmation of something which you failed to understand when others have.

So I return your facepalm as you are more deserving of it. Have fun with it.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 6th July 2020 09:21
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

The contradiction was proven to be not in the hadith. Your call, my dear sir.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 6th July 2020 10:46
The point is, Hadith cannot be wrong!

Science and medicine can be wrong.

If one does not understand the Hadith, that is human error, not an error in the divine words.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 6th July 2020 10:53
That goes without saying. There's no one on the forum who'd dispute that fact. The OP was a request to clarify a very specific apparent contradiction. The medical fact in question was not under debate because the OP is a medical student.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 6th July 2020 12:06
All sides are right but the fact remains that there wasn't an issue or a conflict in this case to worry about.
+0 -0Like x 1Agree x 1