Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
bint e aisha, abuzayd2k
UK
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 4th June 2020 22:33
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

On timeline it's a bit of work but on the thread it can be done. Just want to know if users prefer to see it by clicking but then i realised you can always unblock them.

To protect feelings blocked members won't know they're blocked.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 4th June 2020 22:48
Yasin wrote:
View original post

Yeah you can unblock them and some forums have a "see comments by ignored member." Option at the bottom of the page of each thread.
Thats usually because you can still read the replies to the ignored member. But cant see their posts so thats a quick option to see what the discussion is on that thread without unblocking them completely.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 4th June 2020 23:01
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

Not every poster or lurker is here with good intentions. Some come with an agenda. As such they already have a game plan in place and their attitudes towards some have already been determined. They will try to place obstacles and hope the target trips up. When that happens (and even when it doesn't happen) they run to their clique offline and use whatever info they have to create fitnah. These people are cowards. If they have an issue with someone then they should man up and bring it up instead of playing games. But cowards will be cowards.

As colonel is a high profile person within certain circles in the UK, and because he doesn't tow the line, he has a lot of people that hound him waiting for him to trip up. They know where to find him online and this forum is one of those places. To escape them he would need to completely change his online identity and persona. But I guess even then they will find him.

I experienced this myself once when I was online criticising certain behaviour of an alim/teacher towards my son. Offline I had meetings with them in this regard. In the meeting they brought up my posts on the forum. I think they thought I would act like a deer in the headlights and try to backtrack. They were sorely disappointed when they realised I didn't really care. I'm guessing they might still be reading my posts and talking about me from time to time, but I'm not that important so I can go under the radar. Whereas colonel won't be so lucky.

This petty behaviour is hard to imagine for some of us. But I have come to realise it does go on within certain circles and certain people. Some people have too much time, arrogance, pettiness, self importance, and lack of true Islamic morals. What's more is they have convinced themselves they are in the right. This is only because they have never left their comfort zones and live in a bubble where everything is jee jee.
+6 -0Winner x 1
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 4th June 2020 23:14
This post has been reported. It could be due to breaking rules or something as simple as bad use of bbcodes which breaks the page format. We will attend to this soon.
+0 -0Like x 1Winner x 2
UK
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 4th June 2020 23:36
Option to block member added. Click on username to see option to Block/Unblock.
+2 -0
Rank Image
World Of Allah
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 00:10
The idea is good but instead of blocking the post so that you can't see it, it should be the other way round.

The user should be able to his posts and no one else :)

This way, if there is danger or fitnah, rather than leaving it open for all to see and learn from and then knowledgeable members don't respond to the fitnah, it will be as if its okay and accepted or even correct. That defeats the object of the forum of reaching out to others and teaching them the right way.

The option would be to either ban such users or block their posts so that only they can see them.

It's a difficult one!
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 00:16
ali wrote:
View original post

I agree. The issue with blocking errant users means that their posts will remain unchallenged which is obviously not a good thing.
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 00:36
ali wrote:
View original post

Do you mean shadowban them so they think they have posted but doesn't show to others. That way they'll get tired and go away because they will think that people are not showing any interest in their posts.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 00:38
shadowban
Banning a user from a web forum in such a way that the banned user is unaware of the ban. Usually takes the form of showing that user's posts/profile/etc. only to that user; other users never see them.
+2 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 00:45
Rajab wrote:
View original post

I don't really see the point in that. If it's justified to ban a user then just ban them. If they haven't transgressed to a point where they need banning then restrict their posts and replies and require mod approval.
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
World Of Allah
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 00:50
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Shadowban sounds good.

Maybe if Shadowban blocks selected/reported posts. And the rest carries on.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 00:58
ali wrote:
View original post

What if Ssaad was restricted to his own single thread instead of making multiple threads. His threads end up the same anyway. Make the thread only accessible to certain members. That way he can debate all his likes, members can counter debate, and the general public won't see the thread so it will not require heavy, time consuming moderating.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 01:00
ali wrote:
View original post

What happens if there is a poster whose posts you personally find annoying. But all the other members are fine with their posts.?

Thats the purpose of the ignore feature. You can put them on ignore whilst other members can carry on reading their threads and following their posts.

+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 01:01
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

That's true.
+1 -0Like x 1
UK
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 5th June 2020 01:07
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

It's unlikely everyone will block such a member. I don't even know who comes close to being blocked by everyone.

Guests can't block and there's many readers so nothing crazy will go unnoticed.

The purpose of this blocking is to:

1. Save yourself from blowing a fuse.
2. Take time off from those who say things that one can't handle.
3. Concentrate on what matters because it's very difficult to avoid topics that one is passionate about.

It's not about the one that's being blocked. It should be for yourself. The other person won't even know and will continue.
+3 -0Like x 2