Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Taalibah, bint Mohammed, abuzayd2k
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th October 2011 00:09

Assalamu Alaykum,

The purpose of the Appreciate Topic button:

When a topic is appreciated, it can help in a few ways. It increase the priority of that topic in search results. It also encourages the member who started the topic to continue the good work. Many virtues and interesting topics have increased since the addition of the appreciate button Alhamdulillah.

The purpose of thumbs up and thumbs down on posts

When a user posts something on the forum and a member dislikes the contents for valid reasons or strongly opposes it on Deeni grounds, it can be given a thumbs down.

If a member strongly agrees with a post or likes it on any level such contents, messge, method, respect or even humour then it can be given a thumbs up.

Giving a thumbs up or down does not affect the topic in any way but does increase and decrease the reputation of the member.

Reputation is important to automate many aspects of the backend scripts. For example, a very low reputation means that the member has had many thumbs down and the contents may now need to be monitored. This means the filter on the posts are set to "strict" - The purpose of this since the beginning was to decrease Fitnah on the forum.

It also means that this member will not be permitted to give thumbs down as it is most likely that they will disagree much more and constantly rate posts down often. This does not help in any way as it simply becomes personal.

Those who have higher reputations have not just got it for free but have contributed positively towards this site and the forum for a long time and new members giving thumbs down constantly is a nuisance.

-------------------------

From me:

These features were meant to be taken seriously from the beginning and its main purpose amongst others was to encourage good work.

Once concern was that disabling it for some and not the other is unfair and bias which on its own makes sense. I however feel that allowing new members who have not showed any signs of positive intentions on this forum should not be allowed to spoil the works of those who have more than proved their value.

Many sites restrict guests to a lot of things as they're not registered for security purposes. Some sites go further and require guests to register and even when they have, they still restrict a little more because they're still new and have not proven certain things. This is a standard procedure on many sites that do not have 24/7 monitoring as Alhamdulillah we have an image, quality and reputation to maintain.

Some new members have recently given 100+ thumbs down compared to approximately 10 thumbs up. Can you really blame us for putting a restriction.

Another member registered JUST to give thumbs down. There were no posts, no appreciatations, just thumbs down on almost evert post from a single topic. Brothers (and sisters), that was not the purpose of this. Arguing was hardly ever here until certain groups recently decided to become active here. Everyone is welcome to meaningful discussions but closed blind arguments along with damaging the features of the site such as ratings and rep is not welcome.

I once received a thumbs down because I laughed at something someone said which was taken in good humour. Now i'm seeing thumbs down Qur'aan verses, on explanations, on links, on attempts to answer queries.

Please ask yourself, if you were in my position, would you not limit it too?

Jazakumullah

report post quote code quick quote reply
+6 -0Like x 5
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 20th October 2011 17:25
Yasin wrote:
Some new members have recently given 100+ thumbs down compared to approximately 10 thumbs up

Could this come under Deception, Lying, Two faced, etc, because it seems like they dont understand What the Quran and Hadith says about these sins.

Just shows lack of knowledge or pure ignorance. I dont see it any other way. Oh! and there's jealousy too.

Khair, since they have sinned in secret, let it be. Unless they refute anything I have said above, they are more than welcome to own up.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd May 2012 18:31
Before it changes, my current reputation does not mean "Bismillah" lol
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd May 2012 19:16
Please stick to the current topic. Irrelevant posts, posts inciting a debate or disrespect towards another member will be removed without notice. Jazakumullah

I haven't used these for a long time. Lol.

www.muftisays.com/forums/people-s-say/5578/.html?p=27887

That's the topic you should've posted on.

Lol
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd May 2012 19:49
I was looking for that but no point now, reps 787 which might now mean A'uzhu billahi minash... to some people
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 12th September 2013 13:41
Is there a way of highlighting the selected icon once we have given it.

It seems to be ok on the mobile version, but on the computer, when reading a post, its not clear if I've already rated it or not. This could mean some posts that deserve a rate maybe missing out on a few. I hope that makes sense.

Jazakallahu khair.
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 11th December 2013 12:18
السلام عليكم

Just an update since I've had to authorize a few PM's regarding the confusion of the Reps.

First and foremost, Our intention must be correct when rating a post or giving donations out from our own.

Posts are and should only be rated as a true reflection, so if you see a post that contains a Dua in it and you wish to say Aameen and let the user know that you've said Aameen to their Dua, then click on Aameen.

Clicking on Aameen will not increase the reps! (That's not the intention, remember!)

If you agree with a post, and you intend to let the poster know, then you simply select agree, this will not increase the reps (That's not the intention, remember!)

If a member has posted something special and you wanted to show your appreciation, then there are other options, such as like, winner, informative and creative. These are the only ones that will add to the tally of your reps (Remember your intentions!)

The only one that will give a negative rep is the thumbs down.

So in the recent weeks, many posts were rated with Aameen, optimistic agree etc and were added as "plus reps" whereas this should not have been the case.

So now inshaAllah, Maulana Yasin has rectified everything and redone all the counts which you can see for your self by seeing the "User Control Panel" and then selecting "Calculate" from within the "Stats" tab.

The ratings marked in Green are counted towards the reps tally and the ones in Blue are simply acknowledgments.

See example below of my own calculated reps.

InshaAllah, this will have made things a lot clearer to you all.
Capture.JPG
Downloads: 455
    [41.42 kB] Reps
+4 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 11th December 2013 13:35
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 16th December 2013 17:24
Ok no problem with regards to this, I'm saying why can't we see the names of those members who have disagreed (disliked) with us?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 16th December 2013 17:32
Decision was made to keep this anonymous as it may lead to disputes, where a person has a right to agree or disagree due to personal opinion. Such members may feel obliged to change...disagree/dislike through pressure from other members. Keeping this option private gives a member the freedom and discretion to dislike/disagree without worrying about retaliation or pressure.
+2 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Muftisays Forum
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 16th December 2013 17:45
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

aapa even we agree regarding "Dislike and Disagree" that it may lead to dispute and personal hatred, but what about other ALERTS.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 16th December 2013 17:47
What do you mean, what about the other alerts?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Muftisays Forum
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 16th December 2013 17:52
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

Agree, informative and alert if someone quotes our post. By the way admin has clarified this.
Yasin wrote:
View original post
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 16th December 2013 17:57
ماشاء الله I realized, my apologies, got lost between the two threads and missed couple of posts inbetween. جزاك الله خيرا for your patience.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 7th March 2014 22:57
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

You may find information on this thread helpful, inshaallah. Jazakallah
No post ratings