Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Invasion of body scanners!

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Yasin, bint iqbal, member2, muslimah_91, abu mohammed, sister-in-islam, bint Mohammed, Taalibah, MUSLIMAH_119
UK
Brother
#46 [Permalink] Posted on 19th April 2010 21:20
W/salam,

I thought it was mandatory in the US too. Great to know the US are reasonable and offer an alternative to the highly questionable body scanner.

I guess the British Government just don't see it as immoral and from the Q&A I read with passengers of Manchester airport, the British see it like a ride at the fun fair (ammusement park), I say this literally as they used words like exciting, fun, nervous, amazed etc
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#47 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2010 10:40
Asslamo Allaikum,

Body scanners is ONE of many issues afflicting the Ummah and to be honest we need to hit the root cause of our decline as a Muslim Ummah.

So far nobody seems to be hitting the spot as they say in Tennis until then we will continue to waste our resources fighting one problem after another.

From the detention to Shaykh (Maulana) Yusuf Motala (RA)
To South Park Cartoons
To Prophet Muhammad (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)'s Cartoon
To Invasion of Muslim lands
To ban on Niqab
To Palestine
etc. etc. etc.

All of these may look important but are not the real cause!
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#48 [Permalink] Posted on 24th April 2010 22:46
Someone come today on a flight and said they were now given a choice to go through the scanner or get searched and he said only one person went through the scanner and the rest were queuing to get searched at Manchester Airport.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#49 [Permalink] Posted on 25th April 2010 17:04
MashaAllah.. source? Do you know him personally?
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#50 [Permalink] Posted on 26th April 2010 13:21
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#51 [Permalink] Posted on 26th April 2010 17:51
Yes I know them ..one was my brother and one was my cousin brother. .they told me that they had one black man standing at the scanner to make it appealing to people but none except one man went through and the rest waited in a que for the pat down.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#52 [Permalink] Posted on 27th April 2010 15:05
Can we remove the picture of the woman or give her some clothes? I know that you are trying to express a point but we shouldn't even go near Fahisha.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#53 [Permalink] Posted on 27th April 2010 15:18
I've been meaning to do that for a while now. It doesn't make me confortable but I was told to leave it because MUSLIMS are apparently okay with that considering they're sitting still not making any issue of it. But yes, it will be removed shortly inshaAllah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#54 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd June 2010 13:02
shining light wrote:
Yes I know them ..one was my brother and one was my cousin brother. .they told me that they had one black man standing at the scanner to make it appealing to people but none except one man went through and the rest waited in a que for the pat down.

Asslamo Allaikum,

What's a cousin brother? What language is this in?
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#55 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd June 2010 13:24
From sunniforum member mantismaster:
UK Gov. Consultation on Naked Body Scanners. Act NOW (email template provided)

Assalamu Alaykum,

"These scanners were introduced as the result of the Christmas Day bomber's failed attempt to explode an aircraft over Detroit with a bomb hidden in his underwear. Any Muslim complaints were usually met with a raised eyebrow and the unspoken accusation that we as Muslims had brought this all upon ourselves. However, it remains entirely unproven whether the scanners are at all effective detecting low density explosives; they are entirely ineffective with explosives that have been inserted into a body cavity, and such bombs can be just as effective, as one Saudi prince found out.

Yet despite this, the scanners have been introduced without any option of reversing the decision, or at least this is what I thought up until this week, when I chanced upon a consultation paper from the Department for Transport.

It calls upon "stakeholders", which in real terms means any UK resident, to write to the Department if they have an issue with the body scanners to convey their opinions as well as any suggestions for change.

However, this public consultation has been very poorly advertised and, leaving aside any discussion of whether such a low profile was entirely deliberate, the fact remains that the consultation (which began on 29 March 2010) ends on 21 June 2010. That provides only 23 days in which to mount an effective information drive so that ordinary Muslims can register their disapproval of this technology. However, given the ability of the internet to cascade information quickly and widely, it can be done."

The complete article can be found here:

http://ummahpulse.co

Please circulate this information as much as possible. The window for the consultation is very small so please dont delay.

Wasalam

--------------------

Template from the above linked article for your convenience and perusal:

What we want you to do is as follows:

Email Mike Alcock of the Department for Transport in order to log your disapproval of the scanners and suggest that, at the very least, a pat-down should be offered in place of a scan. Ensure that you mention that you are emailing as a private individual and not as part of an organisation. There is a letter template below but please take the time to personalise your email as this carries greater impact.

The Department for Transport prefers email responses:
copconsultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk

...but has also provided an address to write to if snail mail is preferred:
Mike Alcock
Department for Transport
Zone 5/12
Southside
Victoria Street
London SW1E 6DT

Sign the online petition at 10 Downing Street.

Email this article to as many people on your mailing list as you can. We need to have as many responses to this consultation document as possible and to avoid giving the impression that our silence is tacit approval.

As a society, when we decide that those in authority have the right to demand that private citizens unwillingly expose themselves - whether by banning the niqab or introducing an electronic strip search at the airport - a barrier of shame and decency is breached. Once this becomes the norm, there is no knowing how low society will stoop.

The Prophet Muhammad (sallallāhu 'alaihi wassallam) said: "If you lose your sense of shame, then you will do anything." How right he was.

Email Template

Dear Mr Alcock,

I am writing to you to express my concern over the nude body airport scanners. I disapprove of, and oppose, such scanners on the grounds of violation of privacy and human dignity. After considering the numerous reports which explain the functionality of these scanners, they are a clear demonstration of immorality and infringe upon the personal rights of passengers.

Britain has always been a country which has protected human rights, and I value my right not to be physically exposed to others, whether in front of a male security officer or a female one. How can the trivialization and legal enforcement of nudity, along with the infringement of people's rights, be justified by the unsubstantiated pretext that it will make us all be safer? It goes against any semblance of a civilised society to force nudity on citizens.

I fully support necessary measures which enhance the safety and protection of all passengers. I am, however, concerned about the use of the intrusive body scanners for this purpose. The citizens of this country, as educated and cultured people, should not be put in a position where we have to choose between our security and our dignity. It is totally unnecessary, especially given that other technologies exist which are proven to detect the presence of questionable materials without infringing upon the modesty of passengers and humiliating them.

I would appreciate the option of a pat-down search (when needed) for those passengers whose modesty and dignity prevents them from being subjected to a naked body scan. This alternative has already been implemented in the United States.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#56 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd June 2010 13:53
Another sample letter from Youcef:

Quote:
SAMPLE LETTER

Dear Mike AlLime,

Ihope you are in the best of health.

I amwriting to you to express my concern over the nude body airport scanners. We disapprove and oppose such scanners on the grounds of violation of privacy and human dignity.

After considering the numerous reports which explain the functionality of these scanners, they are a clear demonstration of immorality and infringe upon the personal rights of passengers.

Britain has always been a country which has protected human rights, and we value our right not to be physically exposed to others, whether it is in front of a male security officer or a female one.

How can the trivialization and legislation of nudity, as well as infringement on the rights of people be justified by the unsubstantiated pretext that we will all be safer? It goes against any semblance of a civilised society to inflict nudity on others.

I fully support the necessary measures for the safety and protection of all passengers. We are, however, concerned about the use of the intrusive body scanners for this purpose. We, as educated and cultured people, should not be put in a position where we have to choose between our security and our dignity. It is very unnecessary, especially as other technologies can be used that detect the presence of questionable materials without infringing upon the modesty of passengers and humiliating them.

I would appreciate the alternative provision of pat-down search (when needed) for those passengers whose modesty and dignity prevents them from going through these naked body scanners.

Thank you for your time and efforts,

We are aiming for atleast 100 letters in total. This should not be so hard as we have a big Muslim community, but so far we only have about 5.

Email your letter to: copconsultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk

or by post:

Mike AlLime
Department for Transport
Zone 5/12
Southside
Victoria Street

London SW1E 6DT

I understand that some people are finding writing a letter very hard, but they need to be told that even short simple sentences stating we don't feel comfortable with these scanners may prevent them from enforcing the publically nude scanners.

Please could we have an alternative method of security. This would be fine.

No post ratings
UK
Brother
#57 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2010 00:12
A quick reminder to all readers. If you haven't done this already, do it NOW. 21st June was deadline. If you read this after today (21st) send it anyway. I fear that YOU as the reader may be questioned in the hereafter why you could not take out 1 minute to stop this outrage of body scanners.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#58 [Permalink] Posted on 13th July 2010 15:44
UK Petition update:

Petition to:
allow alternative search procedures for those who object to using full-body scanners

This petition is now closed, as its deadline has passed.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to allow alternative search procedures for those who object to using full-body scanners. More details

Submitted by Ms. Chaundra M Crouch - Deadline to sign up by: 06 June 2010 - Signatures: 4,393
More details from petition creator

We are concerned that the compulsory use of these new machines violate our rights to privacy (article 8 of the ECHR). We note that other states do currently offer alternative arrangements to the use of body scanners and see no reason why the UK should be an exception.

We understand that measures must be taken to ensure safety and reduce the risk of terrorism;, however, such measures must also be reasonable and proportionate. We are not convinced that the current implementation of body scanners in the UK meet these criteria, and further, we fail to see how offering an alternative screening process hurts either goal.

petitions.number10.gov.uk/Body-Scans/

Government response

The Department for Transport launched a consultation on a code of practice for the use of security scanners at UK airports on 29 March (some three weeks after this e-petition launched).

The closing date for this consultation has been extended to the 19 July 2010. The points made in this petition will be added to the other consultation responses.

After the consultation closes DfT ministers will consider the responses before making further decisions regarding security scanners.

The consultation can be found online at: www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/2010-23/ and responses can be sent via email to: COPConsultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk or by post to:

Mike Alcock
Department for Transport
Aviation Security Transec
Southside,105 Victoria Street
London
SW1E 6DT
No post ratings