Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open
 

Secret Services harassment backfires

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Thread Tools
Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
abu mohammed's avatar
London
27,560
Brother
9,601
abu mohammed's avatar
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2015 18:53
Without discussing isis, and only concentrating on the effects the secret service has on individuals, how true are the claims that torture and other forms of harassment can turn an individual into a head chopping individual - referring to Jihadi John, now identified as Kuwaiti born British Muhammad Emwazi.

This of course based on the comments by the charity organization, Cage.

Full story to follow.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
abu mohammed's avatar
London
27,560
Brother
9,601
abu mohammed's avatar
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2015 18:58
Jihadi John: Cage group sparks row with claim radicalisation of Mohammed Emwazi is due to 'harassment' by security services

Robin de Peyer

Thursday 26 February 2015

A pressure group was today accused of seeking to explain Islamic extremism by detailing alleged "harassment" of 'Jihadi John' by UK security services.

Cage, the London-based organisation led by former Guantánamo Bay inmate Moazzam Begg, published an extensive account of alleged mistreatment of Mohammed Emwazi, who has been named in reports as the masked Islamist known as Jihadi John.

The organisation said 27-year-old university graduate Emwazi, who grew up in Queen's Park, had been born in Kuwait and moved to west London at the age of six.

He graduated in computer programming from the University of Westminster, after which he is said to have been subjected to four years of "harassment" by security services.

A statement on Cage's website said: "Mohammed Emwazi is a British citizen who was subjected to security agency harassment for at least four years.

"He was repeatedly detained at airports, deported, barred from entering countries and even allegedly assaulted by officers.

"This treatment prevented him from leading a normal life while having no means to obtain redress, even though no evidence was ever presented to suggest he committed any wrongdoing."

The organisation went on to make a series of allegations claiming that British authorities had repeatedly stopped Emwazi at airports and ports.
Its account contained quotes purporting to be from Emwazi recounting abuse he allegedly suffered at Heathrow airport.

Cage reported him as describing the episode as the "ordeal that completely changed my life".
The Home Office declined to comment on any aspect of the case, including allegations Emwazi was abused by security officers. Scotland Yard has also refused to comment on the reports of his identification.

But anti-radicalisation groups accused Cage of "encouraging irresponsibility" in publishing the account.

Jonathan Russell, the Quilliam Foundation's political liaison officer, said the detail in Cage's account suggested the organisation had been in touch with Emwazi since before he fled to Syria in 2012.

He told the Standard: "They seem to have had a relationship with him for three years - since before he went to Syria - and I simply don't believe that nothing could have been done in that process to stop him.

"It's very, very important to uphold human rights in counter-extremism work, but for an organisation like Cage to focus entirely on grievances and allow those to be extrapolated in a radicalisation process is surely part of the problem and not part of the solution."

He added: "If we had had a relationship with Emwazi - as we have had with other extremists - they we would not have been so irresponsible as to allow him to escalate to violence. We would have worked with the authorities to prevent that happening."

Cage did not immediately respond to a request to comment on the allegations.

Jihadi John has featured in the execution videos of British aid workers David Haines and Alan Henning, as well as the murders of American and Syrian captives and the Japanese journalist Kenji Goto.

In each, he is dressed all in black, a balaclava covering all but his eyes and the ridge of his nose. He wears a holster under his left arm.

Evening Standard
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
abu mohammed's avatar
London
27,560
Brother
9,601
abu mohammed's avatar
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2015 21:57
CAGE representative storms off Sky News after accusing Kay Burley of Islamaphobia

A representative of an advocacy group for communities affected by the 'war on terror' stormed off Sky News today during an interview about the Isis militant known as ‘Jihadi John’, after a presenter told him to “get over himself.”
CAGE spokesman Cerie Bullivant was being interviewed by presenter Kay Burley over reports that the 'Jihadi John' had been identified as west Londoner Mohammed Emwarzi, 27.

The human rights group had previously been in contact with Emwarzi for two years, and said the security services had harassed him.

“What level of harassment by security services in the United Kingdom justifies beheadings?” Ms Burley asked Mr Bullivant.

He responded by saying that “nobody is apologising or trying to make an excuse” for Emwarzi’s alleged beheadings, and said it was important to debate the causes of radicalism.

He added that British discourse on the issued had “failed to look at the causes of radicalisation in an honest manner” for years, and said perpetrators of attacks often quote foreign policy as "the key pushed", as well as harassment and domestic policy.

"We keep on ignoring that, it’s not about justify it, its about looking at the causes of it so we can make everybody safer, both here and abroad,” he said.

Ms Burley then asked Mr Bullivant how he felt about the Isis beheadings of Western hostages, now believed to have been carried out by Emwarzi.

He said: “To be frank, I'm appalled that you would ask that question,” with Burley replying: “Don't be appalled, just answer the question if you would please.”

Mr Bullivant continued: “Muslims are human beings as well. We are shocked when we see beheadings.

”We should not have to justify our humanity by saying that I am shocked by something as brutal as this.

“I campaigned, both behind the scenes and publicly, for the release of [murdered British aid worker] Alan Henning.

”So your question is inherently Islamophobic and racist.“

Ms Burley responds by calling Mr Bullivant's claim ”nonsense“, and telling him to "Get over yourself."

The incident sparked a heated debate on Twitter, over whether Ms Burley's questions were appropriate.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
back to top
Rank Image
Black Turban's avatar
Offline
Bangladesh
1,549
Brother
1,808
Black Turban's avatar
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2015 03:15
Loading tweet


JJ.jpg
Downloads: 117
    [137.40 kB]
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0
back to top
Rank Image
Black Turban's avatar
Offline
Bangladesh
1,549
Brother
1,808
Black Turban's avatar
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2015 03:20
Loading tweet
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
back to top
Rank Image
abu mohammed's avatar
London
27,560
Brother
9,601
abu mohammed's avatar
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2015 06:52

MI5 Made Emwazi Feel Like 'A Dead Man Walking'

Sky News
01 March 2015 01:36 GMT

The Londoner identified as "Jihadi John" told a journalist in 2010 that harassment by British security services had made him fear he was a "dead man walking", it has been revealed.

Years before his reign of terror in Islamic State videos began, Mohammed Emwazi emailed a reporter to claim that several run-ins with intelligence officials had left him contemplating suicide.

The 26-year-old described coming face-to-face with someone who he suspected was a British spy - months after he graduated from the University of Westminster.

Emwazi was attempting to sell a laptop when he became suspicious of the mystery buyer, according to messages he sent to a Mail on Sunday reporter.

He wrote: "Sometimes I feel like a dead man walking, not fearing they (MI5) may kill me.

"Rather, fearing that one day, I'll take as many pills as I can so that I will sleep for ever! I just want to get away from these people!"

The correspondence was released on Sunday night - hours after a tranche of messages between Emwazi and a campaign group emerged.

He began emailing the CAGE organisation after he was questioned by counter-terrorism officers while attempting to fly from Heathrow to his native Kuwait in 2010 - and claimed the security services were "stopping him from living his new life" abroad, where he had secured a job and was getting married.

In one message, the graduate wrote: "I feel like a prisoner, only not in a cage, (but) in London. A person imprisoned and controlled by security service men."

Emwazi appears vulnerable in several of his emails, and asks for advice in complaining to his MP and the Independent Police Complaints Commission about the treatment he had received.

After being told by British officials that he would not be allowed to move to Kuwait, he told CAGE: "I'm not going to give up!! I'm going to wait for my Dad to come back so that we can visit the Kuwaiti embassy in London… going to the embassy myself won't be successful."

The last email that Emwazi sent to CAGE in January 2012 showed no indication of the violent acts of terror he would soon be involved in - and had the subject title: "Smile, it's me again?! Sorry for the headaches I cause…"

When Emwazi was first unmasked as "Jihadi John" earlier this week, representatives from CAGE described him as "extremely kind and gentle" and "the most humble young person we ever knew".

He is believed to be involved in the cold-blooded murders of at least five Western aid workers and journalists who were taken hostage by Islamic State in Syria. They include two Britons: Alan Henning and David Haines.

The University of Westminster has been accused of allowing a toxic environment of radical Islam within the institution, a charge it vehemently denies. Emwazi earned a computer programming degree at one of its campuses.

Meanwhile, the high school where the militant studied, Quintin Kynaston Academy, is being investigated by the Department for Education - after a Sunday Telegraph report claimed that two other pupils from the north London school had been killed fighting for al Qaeda and al Shabaab.

A Government spokeswoman added: "The allegations about Quintin Kynaston may be historic - and it is clearly a completely different school today - but I'm sure we will look back at evidence from the time as part of this review to see if there are any lessons we can learn for the future."
report post quote code quick quote reply
+3 -0
back to top