Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd September 2014 17:42
Bismillah.

Assalamualikum everyone.

I was born and brought up in UAE and lived my whole life over there and just recently shifted base to my motherland Bangladesh. Coming over here, the importance given to culture over Islam is both shocking and annoying. Also the mentality that you need to be having "fun" as a young guy and not take life all too seriously has been difficult to cope.

I am a sinner but I do want to avoid keeping the angel on my left hand busy. How do people deal with an environment where culture is placed over islam and you aren't supposed to be telling anything because that will be as an insult to your elders.

There are more questions I have which I will posts in this thread soon inshaAllah. Looking forward to the guidance of my knowledgeable brothers and sisters here insha Allah.

May Allah guide us all. Jazak Allah Khair.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd September 2014 20:03
Interesting topic. InshaAllah there are members here who are also from Bangladesh who may be able to help further.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd September 2014 05:27
Assalamualikum

The other huge change for me was in the masjids. Here I was hearing iqamah that I haven't heard in any masjid in UAE. Haven't heard in masjids in makkah and madinah but heard in Bangladesh. The iqamah started with 4 Allahu akbar after which every line was repeated twice. like in azaan. By the end of it, the iqamah was lengthier than the azaan.

Also in masjids, they start off with duroods and salawats before the azaan... and on fridays after the congregational prayer they do collective dua. Dealing with family members is one thing, but facing a change in what goes on in a masjid is nerve wrecking especially when you aren't a scholar or a talib of ilm so have zero knowledge on how to deal with things.

May Allah guide us all.
+0 -0Ameen x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd September 2014 21:54
With regards to the iqaamah, then that is normal in Hanafi madhab, see here for evidence www.muftisays.com/forums/76-the-true-salaf-as-saliheen/57...

With regards to the other unusual stuff, then some of it is biddah so you will need to learn the basics inshaAllah.

We have a thread called, "What's your evidence" inshaAllah you will find plenty of beneficial work there. Please note, these are pdf files which can also be found in the Taqleed and True Salaf sections as threads, just in case you don't want to download them. You can also discuss them via the threads.

With regards to some of the other strange stuff you notice, please share it and inshaAllah a senior member or someone who has an idea may be able to help.

جزاك الله خيرا
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 25th September 2014 13:02
Assalamualikum.

Thanks a lot brother Abu Mohammed. Thats a whole lotttt of reading to be done inshaAllah.

Quite a few masjids here have a grave of a saint/pir nearby, often even attached to the masjid and then money is collected for I do not know exactly what..maintenance of the masjid or just going in pockets, Allah knows best.

Coming back to cultural factors, a lot of muslims...majority of them, touch the feet of elders as a way to show respect / seek blessings. This is often donw in marriages, Eids, prior to important exams and when one sets out or returns from his travels. Since I have returned I am expected to do this. I won't lie. I have done it sometimes and not done it sometimes. I don't see it as something we should be doing unless backed by Quran and sunnah.

Another issue, that is not cultural but is quite close to me is that my brother in law and sister went for hajj last year and alhumdulillah they have changed for the better. Both strive to do good deeds and their outer appearances too have changed -- beard, skull cap, hijab etc. Alhumdulillah. My brother in law though is quite the fan of Dr Zakir Naik. So he doesn't pray in majority of the masjids saying these masjids aren't praying correctly, and prays in a masjid belonging to Ahle Hadees [ I have no idea what Ahle Hadees is, it just has a siginboard outside the masjid proclaiming to belong to Ahle Hadees]. A few of the brothers in that masjid were planning to rent a flat/room and start halaqahs for spreading and attaining religion. They are against the deobandi/qaumi madrasahs of Bangladesh. All this leaves me in pickle... May Allah make things easy for us all.
+0 -0Ameen x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 25th September 2014 15:31

my176 wrote:
View original post

Wherever you have human interactions and communities you will see differences as it is human nature. These differences and cultural norms are permissible when in accordance with Islamic Sharia and impermissible when in contradiction with Islamic Shariah; whether they appear odd, strange or bizarre to us is largely irrelevant.

For example Iqamah in UAE is done differently to vast majority of the Islamic world which follows the Hanafi Madhab; both of these methods are correct and valid as per the noble (authentic) narrations of Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam). A native of Dubai may find it strange in Dhaka and vice-versa but they are both fine.

Muslim Ummah has celebrated (tolerated and propagated) this diversity for 1400+ years. During the last 100 (or may be less) years we have a specific brand of Islam which is inspired by George Bush (my way or the highway motto) this means that they believe that they are right and everybody else is wrong!

In Middle-East they are called “Madkhalees” and in the sub-continent “Ahl-e-Hadeeth”, the extreme implementation of this form of Islam is ISIS (in the Middle-East) and TTP (in Pakistan) the end result is that you refute and reject everyone UNTIL you declare them Kaafir and then their blood becomes Haram.

Dr Zakri Naik makes schoolboy errors in "Fiqh" and "Hadeeth" in which he is not an expert. Allah (SWT) has commanded us to follow Ulama (Scholars of Islam) so I suggest that you find some knowledgable Scholars and stick to their opinion.

+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 25th September 2014 20:07
Assalamualikum.

Jazak Allah Khair brother Muadh Khan.

I agree with you when you say stick to a scholar. But there are so many divisions today that it becomes difficult whom to choose and if I am making the right choice when making a choice. How does a person start from scratch?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 25th September 2014 20:11
Maybe brother Black Turban will be able to help you as he may be able to point you towards the right Ulama in your area if he knows your area. Brother Black Turban is also from Bangladesh.

Those PDF files will be helpful for the Ahle Hadith arguments. The rest seems like Barelwi actions and must be avaided if there is no basis for it in Islam.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Bangladesh
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 27th September 2014 05:29
my176 wrote:
View original post

السلام عليكم

Dear brother,

What is clear in your posts that you are attending a "Barelwi" dominated Masjid who are extremely attached to Bida'h. There is another cult "Ahle Hadith" who are also stuck to their version of Islam. Both groups are equally harming the Ummah by calling anyone opposing them as Kuffar. Also we have a bizarre environment here in Bangladesh where "Namaji", "Haji" type Muslims just follow their whims and desires in practising Islam. During Salah, fasting, Hajj etc they follow Hanafi fiqh, during Mawlid they follow "Barelwi" fiqh, during marriage they follow "Hinduism" fiqh, during business they follow "Christianity fiqh", "Jewish fiqh" and this list goes on.

Don't worry, there are still numerous 'Ulama-e-Haqq who are practising upon the way shown by the Salaf. Send me a PM where you live, your contact information etc. I'll see if I can help you inshaAllaah.

Wassalaam
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 27th September 2014 11:17
my176 wrote:
View original post

Brother, if your visit here is to present Dr Zakir Naik and Ahle-hadeeth (gair muqallideen) Islam, sorry! there are no takers here.

Majority of members here follow Islam which was authenticated and has stamp of approval from the salaf; the great tabaieen, tab-tabaieen, children of sahabah, muhadditeen, mufassireen, mujtahideen, muarrikheen and auliya Allah.
+0 -1Dislike x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 27th September 2014 19:06
ahamed_sharif wrote:
View original post

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

He said he doesn't even know what "Ahle Hadees" is. Please don't make such assumptions.
+4 -0Like x 3Agree x 3Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 28th September 2014 09:20
Black Turban wrote:
View original post

Assalamualikum.

Sent you a pm brother.

Loved your quote of how we are hanafi in masjids, barelwi during milads...etc So true indeed!

Jazak Allah khair
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 28th September 2014 09:33
ahamed_sharif wrote:
View original post

Assalamualikum.
That is not my intention brother. As brother samah has posted, I have no idea what/who Ahle Hadees are. Rest assured, if I or anyone have that intention, then we have brothers like you to nip us in the bud.

Jazak Allah Khair
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 28th September 2014 10:02
my176 wrote:
View original post

You will get more knowledge here about the gair muqallids (ahle hadeeth), with our experience we have concluded this;

They sing the qaseedah and praise Imam Azam Abu Haneefah RA and then they say that Imam RA has said "When there is saheeh hadeeth that is madhab" and Imam sahib didn't get saheeh hadeeth.

Then they shall progress (rather they are falling deep into jahannam) and finally:

They say, "The end came on kufr and shirk for Imam sahib RA". Nawoozubillah.

So we don't know how much have you progressed. So stay on and share your experiences.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 28th September 2014 10:17
ahamed_sharif wrote:
View original post

Assalamualikum.

Its still on the first phase of "Imam sahib didn't get saheeh hadeeth"...and also that Imam Abu Hanifa himself said to avoid what he has said if it contradicts with sahih hadiths.
No post ratings