Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Windows phone anybody?

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 6th September 2014 15:46

As salaam alaii kumm,

Anyone here using windows phone? And do they recommend it? Esp. the new phones with Win 8.1 OS...

I have an Android phone but memory is just 8GB, usable is just 5 GB, I have installed absolutely no games or any apps except for the essentials and already the remaining memory is just 700 MB..as I travel and that 3G and even 2G is very expensive, I have to make use of wifi but with such less memory (and no option for micro SD) neither can I download bayans or keep ebooks and have to keep deleting old stuff.

Plus, I have seen, even since using Android even after installing only popular apps, I have been getting spam in the mailbox (more than pre Android days), not hard to guess why this is happening.

So, with my little research, I have come to know that Windows phones memory can be expanded up-to 128 GB. Even budget phones. 

No israaf, there's some real reason to buy a new phone but are they good..? I'm looking at the dual sim Lumia 630 or the latest Lumia 730.

Wa laii kumm as salaam. 

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 6th September 2014 16:00
I plan on getting the windows 8.1 platform for htc m8 when it comes out. Heard it significantly increases the battery life for htc by not having so many programs running in the background.
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 6th September 2014 17:12
وعليكم السلام

The two phones you mentioned also have 8GB of storage. When they say "up to 128GB," it means you'd have to buy an extra microSD card, which is very expensive (for 128GB).

Which country are you living in? What are the most important things you're looking for in a phone (I'm guessing one is storage—but specify how much)? Also please give a price range.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 6th September 2014 17:26
Saheb wrote:
View original post

As I mentioned before in the gadget thread, only buy a phone with expandable memory.

Windows is coming on top but it will take a long time for it to have what you "really" need. Especially if you want Islamic apps.

The newer phones have a good battery life, but at the end of the day, if you want battery and memory, you will need a top end handset.

Personally, the M8 is excellent but expensive unless you buy a contract. Both versions are available, Android and Windows (soon)

Alternatively, a nice phone and a digital dictaphone with 128gb should work fine.

The memory is expensive but works out better as you can swap the sticks around for different things, unlike iOS.

Also, if you take photos and videos, this will kill the memory too, so always transfer it to computer.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 6th September 2014 19:08
jazakAllah khair everyone.

The M8 isn't for me, its too expensive plus its something I don't need, no heavy usage.

I mostly use WA, viber, skype, youtube, any.do, drive, no heavy duty stuff, no games.

Alhamdulillah no problem with spending on memory, the normal android phones do not have storage that can be expanded to 128 gb or even 64 gb (very very few can be 64 gb like the one plus one)

(on a side note, i have 3 numbers that i use (need based), the current dual sim + blackberry, number from back home, office and other personal number)

i currently have a moto g dual (excellent phone except for a few hitches) and at the time i was buying their stock of the 16 gb wasn't available, and moto g doesn't have expandable memory, and i was in a hurry and couldn't wait.

@sulaiman84, do not buy anything until iphone 6 comes out, who knows apple may have learnt from their past mistakes...

and no, contract phones no option where i currently stay.

moto g2 looks very good now with front speakers and expandable memory, but windows looks more upmarket, and more polished and they are made by nokia (mainly) + memory expandable up-to 128 gb, 3 times more than android.

what i really wish to know is how does it feel (OS) for regular normal use?

price up-to 350$ has to be a dual sim or more.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 7th September 2014 00:17
Funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

Pluto wrote:
@sulaiman84, do not buy anything until iphone 6 comes out, who knows apple may have learnt from their past mistakes...

Alhumdulillah, at least people are admitting to it.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 7th September 2014 00:24
Saheb wrote:
what i really wish to know is how does it feel (OS) for regular normal use?

Personally, I think the Windows are just too big and ugly. The whole look of Windows mobile is too bricky! Only positive I see in buying a Windows mobile is that it can easily integrate with an win8 computer or tablet. So whatever you download on any gadget, you'll have the same on the others without all the synchronization.

It's also handy for those who used Windows based programs, they can work from phone or computer and the format will be the same.

But I still feel that Windows is lacking in a lot of areas as a mobile/Islamic mobile.

I've used every operating system except for BlackBerry :( the only time I've used bb is when I've had to set them up for clients. Not for me, thanks!
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 8th September 2014 19:56
I know this isn't a Windows mobile, but for that price, it's a bargain. Shame it's locked to Vodafone. If I didn't have the M7, I may have opted for this 64gig Android.

IMAG2208.jpg
Downloads: 279
    [870.35 kB]
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 8th September 2014 21:49
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

That's a really good price, I paid a lot more for mine, and it still works like new mashaallah.

Even though it's probably classed as an older handset now.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 8th September 2014 22:37
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

One must take into consideration the time and conditions they bought their phones in. A few months ago, the One X 32gb was selling for £150 in bad condition, locked to one network. Now see here (taken a today) a smaller model but newer in season (again) second hand. And another One X 32gb, locked to T-Mobile with a few scratches, no box or accessories, just a charger.

So I'm pretty sure you must've got a good deal at the time.

IMAG2210.jpg
Downloads: 286
    [985.95 kB]
IMAG2206.jpg
Downloads: 291
    [611.69 kB]
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 13th September 2014 10:32
bro abu Mohammed, if the iphone was really that bad as you say, it would not have attracted so much of your attention ;)

but i'm surprised that none here have a windows phone..
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 13th September 2014 11:13
Saheb wrote:
View original post

I've had a Windows phone and iPhone, therefore I warn against the iPhone. I don't need to go into details. I didn't really like the Windows phone after Android more or less improved in every department.

I guess Muadh maybe able to give his verdict on Windows as he recently had one for a short period. Please note the words short and had :)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 13th September 2014 11:59
i have a windows phone, and i do like it. it's simple and do the task. with windows phone 8.1 it has file access too, so now it does more of complex task also. and its app store is growing strong and there are lots of phone choices too. what's amazing is it doesn't require extreme specifications to do simple things, and its battery life is awesome. i am using Lumia 720.
Mind it doesnt like the new muftisays website.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 13th September 2014 12:18
Task manager was the most important thing for me at one stage. But now there are plenty of apps that do that on android too. Copy, paste, delete, rename and everything else too.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Bangladesh
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 13th September 2014 13:43
Yesterday I bought this:

No post ratings