Topic Appreciation
no members yet
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 23:57
Salaams.

In adabah gasht there is always references made how all Sahaba (RA) had this concern for the Ummah and made preaching Tawheed their primary goal as there are no Prophets to come after Mohammed (SAW).

Now, when you study the lives of the Khulafah Rashideen each of them had their own internal issues to deal with; Abu Bakr (RA) were dealing with those who apostated, Umar (RA) Islam spread in the Roman and Persian territory but that was through jihad (which is why thousands of them are buried there) not because they were to them knocking on their doors preaching the greatness of Allah and/or Tawheed and he (RA) was looking after the political affairs in Madinah, Uthman (RA) similar to Umar (RA), but then had a rough time with the Khawarih and then Ali (RA) faught against Muslims.

All other prominent Sahaba (RA) who were with the Rasoolullah for most of the time either passed away in old age or shaheed.

So, which Sahaba exclusively left their homes with this mere purpose?

(I'm sorry if this sort of question needs to be moved somewhere else)
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 00:59
salaam

good question. i would also like to know the answer.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 02:13
Imam Ali wrote:
View original post

السلام عليكم
The cities of kufa and basara were setup by Umar ibn al khattab رضي الله عنه, where many Sahaba migrated to. Ibn Masood رضي الله عنه migrated to kufa i think, also ibn Abbasرضي الله عنه. Also when Egypt was conquered by Amr bin al aas رضي الله عنه, many sahabah settled there.

Will have to search more to get specifics.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 03:55
Please read The Greatness of Knowledge and Ulama by Maulana Shah Hakeem Akhtar Sahib (rahmatu-llaahi `alayh). It is quite insightful.

Here is one screenshot from page 36:

I still suggest you continue joining but refrain from ghuloo' fid-deen, i.e. extremism and exaggeration in the Deen.
+8 -0Like x 5Winner x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 04:34
A point in Sirah

Once Maulana Yusuf Kandhlawi رحمة الله عليه addressed a special gathering of the 'Ulama of the Bijnur district as follows, "All the delegations and armies that were dispatched by Sayyiduna Rasulullah (saw) to various areas and tribes were for the sake of Da'wah. According to one narration, the total number of expeditions undertaken during the time of Sayyiduna Rasulullah (saw) equals 23. According to another narration, 39 expeditions took place. Of these, only 9 took place for the purpose of fighting. The remaining were explicitly for the purpose of Da'wah. Only in one expedition did Sayyiduna Rasulullah (saw) personally injure a disbeliever.

Here we wish to show the thoroughness with which Maulana Yusuf رحمة الله عليه had studied Sirah. Such facts can only be known after an exhaustive study of the subject.

Taken from the Chapter 3, The Erudite and Scholarly Position of Hadrat Ji in the book, Biography of Hadhrat Maulana Muhammad Yusuf Sahib, Amir of Tabligh

Inviting towards Islam on the battlefield

Rasulullah (saw) never fought anyone until he had invited him to Allah

Abdullah Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه narrates that Rasulullah (saw) would never fight any nation until he had already conveyed the Da'wah of Islam to them. (2)

Rasulullah (saw) Instructs the Muslim battalions to first gain people's confidence and then to invite them to Islam

Abdur Rahman bin Aa'idh رضي الله عنه narrates that whenever Rasulullah (saw) dispatched a battalion, he would brief them thus, "Gain the confidence of people and do not attack them until you have called them to Islam. If you bring to me the residents of every baked and unbaked home (of every city and village) on earth as Muslims, it would please me more than you killing their men and bringing their women and children to me as captives." (3)

(2) Abdur Razzaq, Hakim, Ahmad and Tabrani as quoted in Nasbur Ra'yah (Vol.2 Pg.278). Haythami (Vol.5.Pg.304) has commented on the Hadith. It may also be in Kanzul Ummal (Vol.Pg.298) and Bayhaqi (Vol.9.Pg107).

(3) Ibn Mandah and Ibn Asakir as quoted in Kanzul Ummal (Vol.2.Pg.294). Also reported by Ibn Shaheen and Baghawi as mentioned in Isabah (Vol.3.Pg.152) and by Tirmidhi (Vol.1.Pg.195).

Taken from Hayatus Sahabah, Vol. 1, Page 132.

From the above and from other proofs, the Ulama have deduced that the maqsad of qital (physical fighting) is i'laa klimatillah (to raise the word of Allah). So, whether the Sahabah did that or gave Da'wah, the maqsad was one and clearly understood.

+12 -0Like x 5Winner x 6
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 06:40
I remember reading during the apostasy wars the Muslim army gave adhan and if the other army also give adhan as a sign of acceptance of Islam, there would be no fighting.

Also during the conquests of expansion, the non-muslims were offered-
Islam, Jizyah or Sword.
Many accepted the first 2 options and came under the Islamic rule.
+4 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 10:23
Good topic and requires discussion to proceed further as one simple answer even multiple answers will not suffice as evidence as many narratives are used for multiple purposes.

Therefore thread moved.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 11:30
salaam

one thing to bear in mind...

there are 2 forms of jihad.

1). offensive.
2). defensive.

offensive jihad allows time for the muslim army to invite the opposition to the deen or to offer them the option of jizya, as the muslim army are initiating the war on their own terms and time. i do not know if it is necessary to invite the opposition to the deen or give them the option of jizya before initiating offensive jihad.

defensive jihad obviously does not allow this time as the muslims will be in a defensive position and being attacked by the enemy. so it would be silly to say it is necessary to invite the enemy or offer them the option of jizya when in this position. when in this position the only command is to fight. all the current jihad being fought in the world today are all defensive jihad.
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 11:41
Quote:

Once Maulana Yusuf Kandhlawi رحمة الله عليه addressed a special gathering of the 'Ulama of the Bijnur district as follows, "All the delegations and armies that were dispatched by Sayyiduna Rasulullah (saw) to various areas and tribes were for the sake of Da'wah. According to one narration, the total number of expeditions undertaken during the time of Sayyiduna Rasulullah (saw) equals 23. According to another narration, 39 expeditions took place. Of these, only 9 took place for the purpose of fighting. The remaining were explicitly for the purpose of Da'wah.

can someone provide a list of these expeditions?

or provide the narrations mentioned?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 14:03
i have come across the following narrations...

Quote:
Volume 5, Book 59, Number 285:

Narrated Abu Ishaq:

Once, while I was sitting beside Zaid bin Al-Arqam, he was asked, "How many Ghazwat did the Prophet undertake?" Zaid replied, "Nineteen." They said, "In how many Ghazwat did you join him?" He replied, "Seventeen." I asked, "Which of these was the first?" He replied, "Al-'Ashira or Al-'Ashiru." [/quote]

nothing to do with the thread, but i really liked this narration so thought i would share :)...

[quote]Volume 5, Book 59, Number 288:

Narrated Ibn Masud:

I witnessed Al-Miqdad bin Al-Aswad in a scene which would have been dearer to me than anything had I been the hero of that scene. He (i.e. Al-Miqdad) came to the Prophet while the Prophet was urging the Muslims to fight with the pagans. Al-Miqdad said, "We will not say as the People of Moses said: Go you and your Lord and fight you two. (5.27). But we shall fight on your right and on your left and in front of you and behind you." I saw the face of the Prophet getting bright with happiness, for that saying delighted him.

+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 15:01
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 15:52
samah wrote:
View original post

I'm glad some people agree with me in this thread as for a second, I thought I was going to get nuked with criticism. I always knew it was a bit of an exaggeration to say all companions (RA) traversed the globe simply preaching Tawheed. Even the Prophets (AS) did not do that.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 16:03
Sulaiman84 wrote:
View original post

Salaams Hafiz-saab.

Be that as it maybe, it's still farfetched to quote the entire population Sahaba (RA) behaved in the way Tabligh do today after the Prophet's (SAW) passing.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 17:12
Imam Ali wrote:
View original post

السلام عليكم

Akhii a piece of advice

Don't let your nitty picky behaviour/attitude stop you benefitting from the effort, there's a lot of kher init.

If its not for you then move on to the Da'wah that you think is the closest to the Quran and Sunnah. Do let me know though when you find one.

Allah won't ask me you about daleels or fiqh but he will ask what we did and how we spent our lives.

Maulana Yusuf Mutala saheb has recently done a book called 'final moments of the pious', in that there's a few stories of famous ulema who spent their lives in helping people solve their 'ma'sail', when they died someone saw them in a dream and asked how did Allah treat you ? The person asking also said you used to be busy day and night in verifying and advising etc, the deceased replied no that didn't benefit me one bit, but the two rakaat in the middle of the night did ( to the nearest meaning ) get the book if you can it'll change your perspective on a lot of things.

In London Markaz 'Sola Sikander Saheb' once mentioned the only thing stopping people from benefitting from this effort is their nafs, otherwise this work is like the rays of the sun, thousands are benefitting from it daily.

In regards to the whole daleel scenario it's good to verify no doubt but if the TJ was based on hocus pocus then one it would never be successfully and instrumental in changing the lives of millions, secondly not many Ulema would participate in it.

Not a dig or anything just some of my thoughts. Sometimes I think we make the Deen to hard and rigid and if I think from a outside persons perspective then I'm sure he/she would be put off, rather than inspired.

Also spend some time in khurooj when you get a chance Insha'Ala - may Allah accept you for the service of his Deen

Walahu'Alam

+5 -0Like x 2Winner x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 17:24
Imam Ali wrote:
View original post

As was mentioned in the narrations that were posted before, it's clear that it was more beloved to Rasulullah (saw) that Sahabah bring people as willful Muslims than to kill or bringing them as captives. The Sahabah understood this maqsad and carried it out, as illustrated in this narration:

What the Sahabah did during the conquest of Alexandria

Ziyad bin Jaz states further, "Amr bin 'Aas رضي الله عنه then sent a letter to the king of Alexandria, explaining to him the instructions that the Amirul Mu'mineen had written to him. The king accepted the proposal and we then gathered all the prisoners with us. When all these Christian prisoners had gathered, we approached each one of them and allowed him to choose between Islam and Christianity. When any of them accepted Islam, we shouted 'Allahu Akbar' louder than we did when conquering any town and took him into our protection. If any of them choose Christianity, the Christians would make a noise and take him into their protection. We would them impose the Jizyah on him. When this happened, we were so grieved that it appeared as if one of us had defected to him. This continued until all the prisoners had been given the choice. Among those who came to us was Abu Maryam (whose name was Abdullah bin Abdur Rahman). Another narrator by the name of Qasim says that he met Abu Maryam when he was the chief of the Banu Zubayd tribe.

Ziyad bin Jaz continues saying, "When we approached Abu Maryam whose parents and brothers were all Christians and gave him the choice between Islam and Christianity, he opted to accept Islam. As we took him into our protection, his parents and brothers darted across to pull him away from us and actually tore his clothing apart. However, he is now our chief as you can see." (1)

(1) Ibn Jarir (Vol.1.Pg.227).

Hayatus Sahabah, Vol. 1, Page 252.

All this shows that although the circumstances conditions were different, the goal and maqsad is the same. So it's quite right what was said in the Adab of Ghasht/Jawlah. The Majority of non-Arab Muslims around the world are a living testimony to this fact...
+3 -0Like x 3