Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Naqshband66
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 20:04
(bism1)

(salaam)

I want to start doing this regularly, but I need some help on how to start. I've very rarely done any serious muraaqaba, so I think its time I start practicing this on a regular basis. But I need some help: What do I think about in Muraaqaba? How long should it be? When is the best time?

I've heard some pretty good ideas regarding what to think about during muraaqaba. Mufti 'Abdur Rahman ibn Yusuf mentioned the contemplation of the rahmah of Allah entering your heart, and your heart starts saying "Allah, Allah...". That seemed very beautiful to me, but I haven't seriously tried it yet.

Another mind blowing idea I heard was from Shaykh Hasan Ali. He mentioned in one of his lectures that we do the following:

At the dead of night, go inside a small closet. Sit there in the dark and think about the entire Day of Judgement in chronological order. Meaning, start with death, then grave, then resurrection etc.... He mentioned that this regular "rehearsal" of the Day of Judgment will prepare us for the real thing. Again, I was blown away by this idea, but till today I've never actually tried it. What do you think?

Any other ideas are welcome.

Also, is there any specific ideal time to do muraaqaba? Once or twice I tried doing it while laying in bed right before going to sleep, But I always ended up dozing off. Any help here is also appreciated.

JazakAllah
wassalaam.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 20:08

Wa Alaikum Assalam w.w.

Kindly do not attempt any such without the permission of a shaikh.. find a shaikh of Tasawwuf and heed to his advice..

duas..

wa Assalam..
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 20:19
dr76 wrote:
View original post

I don't think thats possible for me though. This is the best I can do. Kindly advise to some basic muraaqaba at least. In Mufti 'Abdur Rahman's talk on Muraaqaba, he did not mention the need of a shaykh, rather he advised the listener to just start doing muraaqaba. Neither did Shaykh Hasan Ali mentioned the need of a shaykh. This is because they knew they were talking to the average Muslims (some who may even be non-practicing).

I don't want to be missing out on this action just because I can't find a shaykh.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 20:37
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:07

JazakAllah.

Quote:
However I agree with brother dr76

Majority of the Muslims cannot connect with a shaykh. So should they be deprived of the blessings of Muraaqaba? Sorry, I dont think so. Anyone should be able to basic muraaqaba. If its something in-depth, then a shaykh should be consulted. Why would you need permission to think about Allah,, 'Aakhirah, death etc...? The answer is, you dont.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:09
+2 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:10
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

JazakAllah. I'll e-mail them insha'Allah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:13
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:14
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:15
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:17
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

Wrong.

When people fall sick do they start experimenting with any medicine they can get hold of ? At the end of the day medicine is medicine right, shall we stop them and if they say akhii you depriving me of medicine to get better, does that sound wrong or right ?

The doctor administers the dosage and the level required and according to the situation of the patient, otherwise we all would be doctors, however we go to doctors when we get ill if we tried treating ourselves we could cause more harm than good. Same goes for a spiritual doctor one just needs to look.

It's best to have a doctor at hand, trust me. But if you've made up your mind then best of luck.

Contact one of the Shaikh's by email that bro Muadh has listed, just a mashwera akhii.
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:24
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

why do u want the Muraqabah for.. why not Masnoon Adhkar.. DIY sulook is dangerous bro.. Bhai Muadh khan sahab has charted out a crash course for spiritual boost.. iam not able to find the link..

I asked Hazrat Dr Nadir Ali Khan sahab (db) about the Tasbeeh e Fatimi and its use.. Hazrat (db) said its real potential shall be released when one does it with contemplation upon each zikr.. we do it so callously and expect karamats to happen..

doesnt work like that bro.. find a shaikh of Tasawwuf.. Bayat can come later.. but get connected for Islah.. take his advice.. for the patient does not demand medications but leaves it at the discretion of the Physician..

wa Assalam..
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:26
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:29

A beautiful explanation by Brother Dar At Taqwa on SF..

The Mashaikh have explained it in very easy terms thus: that there are two types of Adhkaar which are directly related to two of Allah azza wa jal's Siffaat's,

1)Adhkaar Jamaali - (beauty) - for these types of Adhkar no one requires ijaza from a Shaykh as long as it is done normally i.e. lisnaani or Qalbi but without adopting a specific form of a Tareeqah (as this requires the advice of the Shaykh) e.g. focusing on the Lataif as in the Qadiriya and Naqshbandia Tarooq or the method of Nafi Ithbaat with the head movement as prescribed in the Chishtiya Tareeqah.

These Adhkaar include but are not limited to: La illa ha illallah, Subhan'Allahi wa Behamdehi, Subhan'Allah, Alhamdulillah, Allahu Akbar, Salaat & Salaam (Durood)........etc

2)Adhkaar Jalalli - (Awe & Power) - those Adhkar related to this Siffat of Allah require the permission and advice of the Shaykh and can be very detrimental to the health and spirit of a person if done without guidance of a Shaykh.

Thse Adhkaar include but are not limited to: La illaha illa anta subhanaka inni kuntum minadhalemeen(Ayat Kareema), certain Asma ul Husna e.g Jaleel, Qabidh...Allahu Allah......

Often some people object that "why should any Muslim require the permission or ijazah of a Shaykh before commecning a good deed like doing the dhikr of Allah which has been commanded in the Qur'an?" Well the simple answer is that just like for our physical body and its ailments there are some OVER THE COUNTER medicines, there are also those which are PRESCRIPTION ONLY and cannot be taken without the consultaiton of a qualified doctor. Even though both types of medication are for the benefit of the physical body. It is this very same rule that applies in Deen and Islamic Spirituality.

An interesting story to remember is that which the late Faqeeh ul Ummah Mufti Mehmoodul Hassan Gangohi narrated about himself in "Hazrat Shaykh aur un ke Khulaafa Ikeraam" (urdu). Before having given bay'ah to Shaykh ul Hadeeth Qutbul Aqtab Muhammad Zakkariya RA he had already started the Dhikr of Nafi Ithbaat (La illa ha illallah) with the head movements as prescribed in the Chishtiya Tareeqah and written in Shaykh Haji Imdaadullah Mujair Makki's book. But when he eventually gave bay'ah to Shaykh ul Hadeeth his Shaykh made him stop that immediately and then slowly over time prescribed for Shaykh Mufti sahib RA the Adhkaar. This is despite the fact that Shaykh Mufti ul Hin Gangohi was already a VERY pious Scholar with immense Taqwa and from a family of Auliya and Mashaikh. So what to say of you and I!

And Allah knows Best

Wassalaamu Alaikum

www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?100796-Can-you-st...
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 21:30
"Jinn wrote:
Wrong.

When people fall sick do they start experimenting with any medicine they can get hold of ? At the end of the day medicine is medicine right, shall we stop them and if they say akhii you depriving me of medicine to get better, does that sound wrong or right ?

The doctor administers the dosage and the level required and according to the situation of the patient, otherwise we all would be doctors, however we go to doctors when we get ill if we tried treating ourselves we could cause more harm than good. Same goes for a spiritual doctor one just needs to look.

It's best to have a doctor at hand, trust me. But if you've made up your mind then best of luck.

I see what you're saying, but I was just asking about basic muraaqabah. I do regular tasbeeh and durood. I've never asked a shaykh about it, so am I doing wrong? No, im not. Its just basic dhikr. But if there's a specific disease of the heart you want to cure, then you go consult a shaykh. Please don't tell me I need to refrain from remembering Allah or doing a little dhikr because I don't have a shaykh. In that case, 98% of Muslims should stop doing dhikr, and even refrain from salah because thats also a type of Muraaqabah. Im not making up a dhikr of my own, im just following the masnoon ones, so the analogy of "making up your own dosage" is bogus.

Quote:
Contact one of the Shaikh's by email that bro Muadh has listed, just a mashwera akhii.

Yes, thats what Im planning on doing insha'Allah. JazakAllah.

wassalaam.
No post ratings

Jump to page: