Topic Appreciation
Taalibah
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 15:32
بسم الله الرحمن اللرحيم

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Don't tell me I'm the only one who reads some 'words of wisdom' (of the mainstream variety) and thinks "well actually..." while still managing to keep it within Islam.

Insha'Allah, let this be the space to jot those 'well actually....' reactions down.

Wa'assalaam
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 15:50
This sounds interesting sister acacia....no jive this time I hope :-)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 16:00
Oops... I should clarify that I didn't mean in opposition to words of wisdom (which could be foolish) but rather as alternative ways of thinking about some of them :)

As for using slang... well, I don't like limiting people too much in the way they express themselves and besides, even English needs further defining from time-to-time... the word 'jive' is a case in point :) I had to look up the meaning of the word jive since I've only really heard it used as a style of dance... turns out it means the use of slang and/or deceptive/foolish talk.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 16:13
Okay, insha'Allah I will demonstrate what I mean with the following:

Quote:
If we continually look for flaws in everyone we meet and pass judgement on them solely by those characteristics, one day we will wake up and realise that we are all alone and we will have no one else but ourselves to blame.

Waking up and realizing we are all alone is not always a bad thing. If Allah Ta'aala grants us understanding, grants us hidayah, and we come to notice flaws in ourselves and start to look at others around us - noticing the same (damaging) characteristics we see in ourselves and search, looking to see if there are any out there who have those characteristics that are valued in Islam but can't see any... then insha'Allah it is a good thing to to be "alone"... not in an arrogant sense but in a humble way, trusting Allah Ta'aala and turning fully to Him insha'Allah... realizing we are never alone.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 16:27
Would this be slang?

Lets milk these words of wisdom for all they are worth insha'Allah! :) Maybe others have more to add or yet other angles to approach the same words? Add here insha'Allah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 16:32
Quote:
If we continually look for flaws in everyone we meet and pass judgement on them solely by those characteristics, one day we will wake up and realise that we are all alone and we will have no one else but ourselves to blame.

It's amazing how a few words can give each of us a different meaning:

If we keep criticizing people, when we judge their every mistake or look for flaws in them or their lives, we alienate ourselves from them, until such a time comes that people avoid us and stay away from us, because they can no longer relate to us...when we come to this stage where people avoid us because of our fault finding habits, then we will find no one but ourselves to blame for being avoided and alone.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 16:50
Acacia wrote:
View original post

This was what I was referring to, sorry shouldve used term 'slang' not 'jive'.

(masha) nice thread, keep it up
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 17:04
Paragraphs of wisdom :)
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Muftisays Forum
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 17:10
:-|???
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 17:35
Is it bad to unpack layers of meanings that can be taken from words of wisdom? Insha'Allah, sometimes it helps bring out/highlight the meaning, sometimes it helps to avoid misunderstanding, and sometimes it helps to bring out multiple lessons.

+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 17:42
My only concern is taking words of wisdom that are then, either understood in a manner that they were not meant to be understood and then translated incorrectly...some are just sayings, but some maybe quoted from hadeeth, or from one of the prophet's a.s. or a pious predecessor, etc. Not all the words of wisdom quotes state the person/source of the quotes.

I'm not sure.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 17:48
Context makes a huge difference. Take the following for example:

Quote:
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

What is the context here? How would a practicing Muslim who lives Islam and comes from a home where the words of the Qur'an echoed in the house their entire life take it? How would a non-practicing Muslim take it? How would a non-Muslim take it? How would a practicing Muslim view a non-practicing Muslim in light of these words? How would a non-practicing Muslim view a non-Muslim in light of these words?

What is at the core? Knowledge? Feeling? Are we meant to know intuitively what success is? Are we to assume non-Muslims or non-practicing Muslims are preparing to fail? What is preparation? What does it look like?

How do we prepare?

See, it just doesn't look that simple to me. I get it to some degree alhamdulillah, but I know I would not have understood it the same way some years ago, and I know I still don't fully understand it.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 17:53
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

A good enough reason to expound on them or at the very least provide the source.

This is happening in people's minds already so how do we address this?

If it is a matter of simply having a list of words to make ourselves feel good, then there may or may not be a problem. If it is also a tool for dawah, it can be problematic and require further unpacking.

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 17:56
Quote:
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

This could be to do with life after death, we don't prepare for the afterlife during our llifetime so we fail in the hereafter.

Or we are not positive, we think negative and expect only negative, so we fail by receiving only negative.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2013 17:56
Khayr, no worries... if members are not ready for this, that's fine.
No post ratings