Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Top Members

Beware of Castoreum

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
nyc
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 12:39
salaamualaikum warahmattullah to all

I just got this crazy information from a close friend of mine but its not surprising since we all live in an age where any kind of najaasat is marketed as food ingredients and every thing else possibly imaginable. muslims are probably consuming it unknowingly so pardon me if the language sounds inappropriate but its important that all of the ummat help safeguard each other from this haram and filth from entering our bodies. The reality is very clear that we can't trust a food label by face value any more. Further investigation into food ingredients is ever important if we want our duwas accepted and our spirits safe from being contaminated. If there is any ikhtilaaf in the use of beaver goo, please comment.

Jazakullah

Beaver butts emit goo used in vanilla flavored foods

Published October 02, 2013
Next time you pick up a vanilla candy, think twice. A chemical compound used in vanilla flavored foods and scents comes from the butt of a beaver.

Castoreum comes from a beaver's castor sacs, located between the pelvis and base of the tail. Due to its proximity to the anal glands, the slimy brown substance is often mixed with gland secretions and urine.

"I lift up the animal's tail," Joanne Crawford, a wildlife ecologist at Southern Illinois University told National Geographic. "I'm like, 'Get down there, and stick your nose near its bum.'"

"People think I'm nuts," she added. "I tell them, 'Oh, but it's beavers; it smells really good.'"

Beavers use the brown slime, often compared to a thinner version of molasses, to mark their territory. The musky, vanilla scent is attributed to a beaver's diet of bark and leaves.

Manufacture have been using castoreum as an additive in foods and perfumes for at least 80 years, according to a 2007 study in theInternational Journal of Toxicology.

But getting a beaver to emit castoreum is not easy. Foodies are willing to "milk" the animals in order to get their hands on the gooey substance.

"You can milk the anal glands so you can extract the fluid," Crawford said. "You can squirt [castoreum] out. It's pretty gross."

Only 292-pounds per year is collected because the milking method is unpleasant for all parties involved.

And the worst part? The FDA-approved castoreum is not required to be listed as an ingredient on food items. Manufacturers may list "natural flavoring" instead.

Perhaps a bit too natural for us.

report post quote code quick quote reply
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 14:17
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajiyoon!

May Allah save us from such haraam food and filth. ameen.
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 15:19

Castoreum is NOT USED in any food product in UK at all!

Castoreum is NO LONGER USED in natural or artificial vanilla flavouring in USA but could be in other foods.

Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 17:28
Rank Image
nyc
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 17:49
Good call every one.
Jazakullah khayran. I hope they discontinue it completely. You never know if it could be put back into use.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 20:20
Ingredients change according to season and country.

So its always wise to keep an eye on products that you are familiar with.

However, if a substance is banned in the UK, there is no chance of it coming back or even being imported. Unless done illegally.
Rank Image
nyc
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 06:18
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Salams Abu m

I kind of find it hard to believe that the Brits are that strict when it comes to food stuff let alone the U.S. I still have doubts about their integrity because they are good in the the art subterfuge language of the law. I don't doubt your honesty or trustworthiness or the other brothers and sisters on the muftisays.absolutely we must always keep checking.