You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
xs11ax, Yasin, Taalibah, abu mohammed, Desi tadka, abuzayd2k
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#31 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 23:48

thought the brothers suggestions were just his sincere suggestions. man gujis war over anything and everything nowadays...right, before round 2 starts letme get my popcorn then slouch back in my sofa....

report post quote code quick quote reply
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#32 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 23:55
Sorry to disappoint you, but there's no war here. Yes and carry on eating your popcorn like youve previously been doing. Sorry for the lack of further entertainment.
+4 -0Winner x 4
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#33 [Permalink] Posted on 10th May 2013 14:10
Shaikh ul Mashaiikh xs11ax agreed with me on something at least :-)

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#34 [Permalink] Posted on 10th May 2013 14:11

Taalibah wrote:
View original post

No problem. Nothing serious.

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#35 [Permalink] Posted on 10th May 2013 14:37

More little nitty gritty things that need addressing: a. When I said the font size was too small, I meant it was the whole site, not just the posts meaning the top panel, the navigation, the widgets etc etc

b. The 'recent posts' on the right side could show what the members have written not WHO has written (although if you inculcate even that, then it'd be fine) - at present it only shows what the title of the thread (that too not fully) and WHO has written.

c. If I reply to a members post by quoting his post, why is it that I'm not able to highlight a point that that member has written or is there something I am missing?

d. Why is it that I'm not able to just select text and click 'Ctrl + B' to make text appear in bold? Same for other functions..

e. When I said Muftisays has too many options / instant polls,

Mufti Ya'sin said this: Previously we have thumbs up and thumbs down. Now I've seen how many don't like replying to posts and most times there's no need to need to leave small remarks. Takes up space so one way to reply with single words is just to click on the these. Nice way to let the poster know too.

Quote:
From left to right.... Like - If you like what you read Dislike - If you don't like what you read Agree - If you simply agree like nodding your head Disagree - If you don't agree with that you read Winner - If a post tops all other posts, you can class it winner. Not really winner because you can rate every post winner so I guess this is there just to look good Informative - the "i" icon to state if the post was informative and helped you - a nice way to say "you've taught me something" Optimistic - The rainbow icon to state if a post you feel is optimistic. A nicer way to say "You wish" or "dream on" Creative - If a post is creative, smart or clever, you can click this ABC - I cnt stand bad spellin, shrthnd as if d ppl iz txtin wid a limit of 160 chars. Click this to show bad spelling Old - Some posts are just simply 'old' or repeats... Let them know : )

That's too many options but even so instead of symbols (buttons) to make new users assimilate faster, can you remove the symbols and have text instead? Everyone knows likes and dislikes but that rainbow thing and star thing and alarm clock etc...?? More to follow.

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#36 [Permalink] Posted on 10th May 2013 19:35
f. Another fundamental thing missing is the 'similar threads / topic' options, I have created 2 threads on this topic with similar titles: 'To which shaikh of tasawwuf was imam abu hanifa bayt to?' and 'To which shaikh of tasawwuf was Imam Shafi'ee bayt to' - but when I click on one of them the other one does NOT show up?

Almost all forums have the 'similar topic / thread' feature - Check out Tom's Hardware for example.

This is a wonderful and very useful feature to have. Please consider this.
UK
Brother
#37 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2013 21:00
Assalamu Alaykum,

Jazakallah. I hope that the following answers the points raised.

Quote:
a. When I said the font size was too small, I meant it was the whole site, not just the posts meaning the top panel, the navigation, the widgets etc etc[/quote]

Yes the layout needs updates. But it will require a lot of time and is just not possible at the moment due to many commitments including this site. Please also remember that one single person is doing this and it is "easier said than done". For now, I hope you appreciate and use the small addition to increase font size via user control panel. It is also very unlikely there will be any major updates in the future. Unless there's more support from designers and coders, I don't really see it happening. I tried to raise funds to get proper work done by regular designers but 2 or 3 people donate only and you can't progress like that.

Quote:
b. The 'recent posts' on the right side could show what the members have written not WHO has written[/quote] To read 'what' has been written instead of who has written it, just 'click' it. It takes less than 2 seconds to click it. A post could be an entire article of 3 or 4 pages so surely you can't expect this on the right column?

Quote:
(although if you inculcate even that, then it'd be fine) - at present it only shows what the title of the thread (that too not fully) and WHO has written.[/quote]It's meant to show the title and poster. This is the standard forum methods of showing quick updates.

Quote:
c. If I reply to a members post by quoting his post, why is it that I'm not able to highlight a point that that member has written or is there something I am missing?[/quote]This is new and added to avoid every single post containing quotes upon quotes within quotes just to say "I agree" at the end. It uses database resources and to minimise this is best. To quote any portion, simply copy the text and use the quote button in the editor. That's how I'm replying to this right now. Not a difficult task at all.

Quote:
d. Why is it that I'm not able to just select text and click 'Ctrl + B' to make text appear in bold? Same for other functions..
This is possible in the HTML editor. If you need the feature, please switch to the HTML editor.

[quote]Mufti Ya'sin
No Mufti Ya'sin here sorry.

Re: post rating icons...
[quote]That's too many options
It won't be removed because you feel there's too many.

[quote]but even so instead of symbols (buttons) to make new users assimilate faster, can you remove the symbols and have text instead?
By putting mouse over the symbol, it already gives the tooltip in plain english (text)

[quote]Everyone knows likes and dislikes but that rainbow thing and star thing and alarm clock etc...?? More to follow.
There are people who don't know "like/dislike" either - now it won't be removed or changed into text because they don't know what like and dislike is. They will learn, and inshaAllah so will you.

Please note, the new features are features, a lot of it can be ignored and is unreleated to the "user experience" you initially started the thread about. I will consider improvements but there's no need for changes to new features that were added for the very reasons you raised in this thread. Jazakallah

I do appreciate the feedback and I hope the replies don't sound rude? I was trying to be straight forward and to the point. Ws
UK
Brother
#38 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2013 21:00

Desi tadka wrote:
View original post

This is definitely something that I wanted to add. It's just lack of time that's kept this feature out. InshaAllah soon

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#39 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2013 21:18

Yasin wrote:
View original post

It was a bit rude but its okay. As I'm not a Sufi I should expect such things along my way :-) 

-------

I wasn't clear on the 'recent posts' part, what I meant was let the title of the thread be displayed and a little of what the member has posted along with it.

And:

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a 'currently reading option' on the members left panel / profile below reputation..?? That'd encourage people to read / discuss books. Just my lowly opinion, please don't mind.

UK
Brother
#40 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2013 21:21
Quote:
It was a bit rude but its okay.

Oh well. I can't control how you perceive things. Jzk
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#41 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2013 21:31

Yasin wrote:
View original post

Nor can I control what you write :-)

Rank Image
London
Brother
#42 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2013 21:59

Desi tadka wrote:
View original post

Good idea, but at the same time what I read is my business, and sometimes I'm stuck in one thread for ages. The threads that have interested readers will build its own rep and come into the most reputed threads. Plus the posts with the highest rep is also available, obviously they are liked by the majority.

Some of us have gone invisible for a reason.

Hope you don't mind.

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#43 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2013 14:52

abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

I was referring to books. Please read post again.

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#44 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2013 14:54

Quote:
I do appreciate the feedback and I hope the replies don't sound rude? I was trying to be straight forward and to the point. Ws

Brother Yasin ^^

You do underestimate yourself.

;-)

UK
Brother
#45 [Permalink] Posted on 17th May 2013 11:42
Desi tadka wrote:
View original post

I just read this now. Nice reply :)

PS. I just realised that larger sized are actually supported. You just need to host them yourself by choosing the offsite avatar option in the user control panel

Jump to page: