Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
xs11ax, Yasin, Taalibah, abu mohammed, Desi tadka, abuzayd2k
UK
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 17:28
Quote:
a. Hard to navigate.[/quote]

Definitely I agree with this. It drives me mad too at times. Here's the excuse. The site started very small with 2 sections and it increased and increased. Some new sections added and failed, some succeeded with amazing results. Due to this, there was no real organisation and I have been wanting to sort this but needed the push which I feel I'm now getting with thread (which is why I appreciated it)

Quote:
b. Too many things to pay attention to.[/quote]

I don't understand this point? I guess if the navigation was sorted, this might fix itself?

Quote:
c. The 'recent posts' on the right side does not show the full title of the thread.[/quote]

I didn't know this helps. Jazakallah. Will update this soon inshaAllah.

Quote:
d. The sepia color tone of the forum makes me want to go to sleep.[/quote]

If only I had a colour that helped me sleep too :)

Quote:
e. The font size is too small.

f. The font size is too small.

g. The font size is too small.[/quote]

Best Answer wrote:
e. The font size is too small.

font is fine for me

f. The font size is too small.

check your settings

g. The font size is too small.

check your eyesight [/quote]Not to be taken seriously. *smile*

Quote:
h. Too many sections / sub forums or just something about them thats hard to stay focused.[/quote]

I have answered this one below. Hope it helps.

Quote:
i. Things like 'appreciate' 'optimistic' 'disagree' ....instant polls? Come again?

[quote="Yasin"]Previously we have thumbs up and thumbs down. Now I've seen how many don't like replying to posts and most times there's no need to need to leave small remarks. Takes up space so one way to reply with single words is just to click on the these. Nice way to let the poster know too.

From left to right....
Like - If you like what you read
Dislike - If you don't like what you read
Agree - If you simply agree like nodding your head
Disagree - If you don't agree with that you read
Winner - If a post tops all other posts, you can class it winner. Not really winner because you can rate every post winner so I guess this is there just to look good
Informative - the "i" icon to state if the post was informative and helped you - a nice way to say "you've taught me something"
Optimistic - The rainbow icon to state if a post you feel is optimistic. A nicer way to say "You wish" or "dream on"
Creative - If a post is creative, smart or clever, you can click this
ABC - I cnt stand bad spellin, shrthnd as if d ppl iz txtin wid a limit of 160 chars. Click this to show bad spelling
Old - Some posts are just simply 'old' or repeats... Let them know : )

Also, like/dislike is very different to agree/disagree
Like = warm feeling
Dislike = cold feeling - negative - hence affects rep
Agree = Mmm Hmm
Disagree = No no no no - Everyone is entitled to an opinion so this doesn't affect rep

-------------

[quote]Suggestions:

a. Consider increasing the size of the font.

I will add this to personal settings inshaAllah (User Control Panel)

[quote]b. The color tone to something more positive, the current one is drab like an old rundown house in some far away desert. How about simple white? Or light grey?

The colour is actually the site identity. It's light and gives a classic feel thought of by the intention to promote classical Islam and stick to our roots of the true Salaf As Saliheen. I really can't see any work on colour to be honest. But if you create your own css, i'll be happy to add it as a template option for members.

[quote]c. The forum is too 'serious' feeling. The one's browsing the net are mostly young.

I've been feeling this a long time but who posts and what they post can't be stopped. To attract younger members, I guess individuals would simply have to liven up "The Light Side" or "People's Say" - This in my opinion is beyond the site design element

[quote]d. Remove / merge the sub-sections - keep it simple and uncomplicated. Too many sections just hinder discussions.

I have (with the constant Mashwarah of the authorizers group members) always considered the forum sections and sub-forums. There were only a few first and that mixed up many topics making it hard to find threads when needed. A few were made to separate important things and there's always been work on it. At the moment I think there's a perfect balance to keep all threads neat and categorised. You have to consider past efforts and this has evolved from that.

[quote]e. Allow larger non-animated avatars - let members get creative with it.

I don't see how that'll help except to slow down pages on slower connections? What size do you recommend? I can consider it inshaAllah. It'll mean making the left column a little larger which I did want to do.

[quote="Muadh"]Forum is not php based like SF and other forums so yes the layout is different.

It is php based actually. The layout is custom to suit the contents rather than a default standard (sleepy?) layout :) Inspiration of layout was taken after checking many many templates out there.
report post quote code quick quote reply
UK
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 17:41
Also...

xs11ax wrote:
but i do strongly feel that the design and navigation will have put many potential members off.

btw pls dont take this as an attack.
Don't worry brothers, I actually appreciate this topic a lot. To me, it shows how much you, Desi Tadka and everyone who has replied want for this site. It's more of a "sign me up" rather than "i hate this" - Jazakallah topic starter and the battle that took place thereafter. if anyone can help on design aspect, coding, taking over an entire section such as MSNS then please PM me. I really can't cope with the scope of site to be honest.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 17:41
Been tying to reply but was unable to.

This was meant to be before admins post.

I don't think anyone will take it as an attack. We are just expressing our feelings.

This is welcome and encouraged. We have issues and we need to deal with them, the problem is when we stay silent.

So, thumbs up to you all.

Btw, please don't thumbs down members for no positive reason, that's why we have the dislike.

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 17:44

I'm in a state of shock. Will reply later.

Rank Image
London
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 17:58

Desi tadka wrote:
View original post

You must admire the site for the response (positive acknowledgment, alhumdulillah)

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 18:16

abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Somebody actually liked my 'I'm in a state of shock..' !! Nice positive response no?

Except for yours. This thread was not about the content, you, surprisingly, took it personally, don't know why... it was mostly about how (the content) is delivered..

Anyways I will get back tomorrow iA. 

Rank Image
London
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 18:21

That thumbs up was me and that was my response, a deserving thumbs up.

I gave my personal opinion but didn't take it personally, don't worry. We are all one big happy family, InshaAllah

UK
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 18:31

Shock? Positive shock or disappointment?

Anyway, without thread spiralling, font size feature added:

If screenshot doesn't show up above click here

User Control Panel > Preferences > Font size

2109894.png
Downloads: 72
    [221.04 kB] prefs
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 18:39
I'm glad this thread has ended on a positive note, without anyone becoming passionately aggressive. With users support this website can thrive even further, insha.Allah.

Glad to read of volunteers, Masha.Allah.
UK
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 18:44

xs11ax wrote:
View original post

I agree. Not always but in this case custom built is definitely better. We've used the standard freely available phpbb and other boards but it just wasn't flexible enough to achieve the things we have here like events, books, media section, special youtube codes (halalified) which I get a lot of queries about Alhamdulillah) - Downside is that updates and bug fixes heavily depend on one person (right now) compared to entire teams working on third party readily available forums which are always more powerful than custom builds.

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 19:06

Yasin wrote:
View original post

Shock because I didn't expect so many replies so fast and some of bro abu mohammed's posts.

Anyways jazakAllah khair.

There's some more ' humble advices' ;-) but will post later.

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 19:06

abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

All is well.

Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 19:18

abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

'One big happy family'

I fear such words - the guys on PSF used to say the same thing. They don't mean anything to me anymore.

Rank Image
London
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 19:19
I'm sorry if I said something out of hand. I honestly didn't mean it and InshaAllah will look back to see why it may look like that.

Sorry!
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 9th May 2013 19:29
Desi tadka wrote:
View original post

this website is not affiliated with PSF, i have never actually even visited the website. sometimes people say similar things to what you may have heard previously. this is most likely coincidence, but please do not feel negative here due to experiences you may have had on other websites.

Jump to page: